People in tank spec who put out zero protection

HaoZhao

WHY?! :(

Why be tank spec if you're not actually going to do any tanking? If you're not using guard and taunts, you're basically dead weight on your team.

"But my team has no healer, so why should I guar---"

Really? Really?! It doesn't matter if your team has a healer or not. Guarding a DPS allows your team to live longer, so they can kill the enemies faster, so those enemies can't kill you. Even if your team did have a healer, mindlessly guarding that healer doesn't make you a good tank either. A good tank swaps guard to whichever member of the team needs it the most at any given time. Guarding a healer who is being ignored is the same as guarding no one at all!

DPS specs that have taunts but don't use them are almost as bad. You have these great abilities that can really take pressure off of your team, they cost no energy to use, and you refuse to use them. Unless you scored like 3-6 times in Huttball, I'm not going to vote for you if you have taunts and put out zero protection. To these people, while it's very impressive that your pyro PT put out a million damage, you're still a mediocre player because you're not using all of your PVP abilities to their potential.

There is indeed zero excuse to not use your taunts. In regulars they really help a lot in taking off the pressure at almost no cost for yourself, as most of the enemy players will have no clue who threw the taunt.

On top of that it actually gives you extra medals for protection, so not using it is simply stupid.

I could see why some tanks would delay using guard. Especially in Huttball if you're heading to a good passing position and you don't want to drain your health too much by protecting some random guy who is getting focused.

But yeah, most players sadly don't have a clue what that "guard" button does.

Other than Huttball like you mentioned, the only other excuse I can think of is that you were guarding a node that never got attacked.

EDIT: Running the huttball is no excuse because you should still be using your taunts.

Edited by Recamier

As a healer and tank i can tell you the guarding serves "absolutely no purpose", why would you waste your health taking damage away from others when you could do some insane deeps in your "highly overpowered" tank spec. I just dont understand this please close this thread now thanks

As a healer and tank i can tell you the guarding serves "absolutely no purpose", why would you waste your health taking damage away from others when you could do some insane deeps in your "highly overpowered" tank spec. I just dont understand this please close this thread now thanks

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

Bro if you got a dps who at the end of the match does less than 150k damage then maybe guarding/healing them was a waste of time. As a healer if I see someone is doing random things then I'll prioritize someone else. If there's no healer I wouldn't blame a tank for focusing on themselves.

Bro if you got a dps who at the end of the match does less than 150k damage then maybe guarding/healing them was a waste of time. As a healer if I see someone is doing random things then I'll prioritize someone else. If there's no healer I wouldn't blame a tank for focusing on themselves.

A waste of time would be entering a war zone in tank spec and then not guarding anyone. Outside of the notable Huttball exceptions, you're dead weight to your team when you "focus on yourself." Find the skill mentor and re-spec to DPS.

There's even merit in guarding bad players. Every time a member of your team dies, all of the enemies who killed that person are going to move on to another member of your team, and they don't have to worry about the DPS of the person they just killed. This will repeat until your team has wiped and you've likely lost an objective. One of the main purposes of tanking in PVP is to prevent that snowball effect where the enemies get a bigger presence with every ally they take out until they can easily overwhelm you all.

Unless you're playing Huttball tricks, there's almost certainly no excuse for being in tank spec and not guarding another player. You're not putting out any decent DPS, you're not putting out any protection, so why are you in the war zone?

A waste of time would be entering a war zone in tank spec and then not guarding anyone. Outside of the notable Huttball exceptions, you're dead weight to your team when you "focus on yourself." Find the skill mentor and re-spec to DPS.

There's even merit in guarding bad players. Every time a member of your team dies, all of the enemies who killed that person are going to move on to another member of your team, and they don't have to worry about the DPS of the person they just killed. This will repeat until your team has wiped and you've likely lost an objective. One of the main purposes of tanking in PVP is to prevent that snowball effect where the enemies get a bigger presence with every ally they take out until they can easily overwhelm you all.

Unless you're playing Huttball tricks, there's almost certainly no excuse for being in tank spec and not guarding another player. You're not putting out any decent DPS, you're not putting out any protection, so why are you in the war zone?

It works the same for dps. If im a tank and you're not doing enough damage why would I guard? Maras that force leap, pop cds, die, rinse and repeat. So valuable. So that you can sit there and beat on a healer without a purpose? If we're talking about a decent player then guarding a dps without heals will just guarantee your guard is useless because they'll attack the tank first. Tanks can provide decent utility, especially juggs with their cc to harass. Guarding a dumb dps who is being focused when its better to let them die.

In short I'm not going to guard simply for the sake of guarding (or to brag about protection medals)

The whole point in playing a tank is to mitigate as much team damage as possible. If you aren't of that mindset then don't play a tank.

Mitigation stats will come online when the team you are fighting against aren't scrubs. In this situation you should always be taunting / guard swapping and striving to be as big of a nuisance as possible.

Mitigation scores will be low but your damage taken will be extremely high if the opposing team is filled with scrubs. Scrub teams tend to shoot at whoever is in their face. That should always be the tank.

Hallmark of bad tanks are low mitigation and low damage taken relative to the other players on their team.

It works the same for dps. If im a tank and you're not doing enough damage why would I guard? Maras that force leap, pop cds, die, rinse and repeat. So valuable. So that you can sit there and beat on a healer without a purpose? If we're talking about a decent player then guarding a dps without heals will just guarantee your guard is useless because they'll attack the tank first. Tanks can provide decent utility, especially juggs with their cc to harass. Guarding a dumb dps who is being focused when its better to let them die.

In short I'm not going to guard simply for the sake of guarding (or to brag about protection medals)

I'm glad I'm not on your server. I feel bad for the people that have to deal with a terrible tank like you.

lol no.

lol bad

WHY?! :(

Why be tank spec if you're not actually going to do any tanking? If you're not using guard and taunts, you're basically dead weight on your team.

"But my team has no healer, so why should I guar---"

Really? Really?! It doesn't matter if your team has a healer or not. Guarding a DPS allows your team to live longer, so they can kill the enemies faster, so those enemies can't kill you. Even if your team did have a healer, mindlessly guarding that healer doesn't make you a good tank either. A good tank swaps guard to whichever member of the team needs it the most at any given time. Guarding a healer who is being ignored is the same as guarding no one at all!

DPS specs that have taunts but don't use them are almost as bad. You have these great abilities that can really take pressure off of your team, they cost no energy to use, and you refuse to use them. Unless you scored like 3-6 times in Huttball, I'm not going to vote for you if you have taunts and put out zero protection. To these people, while it's very impressive that your pyro PT put out a million damage, you're still a mediocre player because you're not using all of your PVP abilities to their potential.

Well said... Every point is spot on...

Basic rule for "has a tanktree". (No, points required to be spent in there!)

If you have a taunt: Taunt! (... on Cooldown)

I sometimes catch myself taunting healers... just because it's so in the muscle memory...

Taunt + AE-Taunt => probably decides half of the battles in a warzone. Think about it: 30% damage reduction is totally ******!

Anyone who has a taunt, is in a fight and doesn't have it on cooldown fails. There is absolutely NO negatives to using it. Just benefits: Wins, Marks, MVP-Votes from the healer, Desperate enemies, ...

LOL!!! The DPS is not an endangered spaces there is no reason to protect them, more like wild horses some needs to be eliminated to create a healthy environment.

Okay so I totally disagree with what you're saying here, but the imagery cracked me the hell up. I LOLed IRL. :D

Of the two main objectives and reasons for a tank to be in PvP only 1 is rewarded, but if these 2 are preformed well then the tank is the asset it should be.

No 1; EAT damage or as a PvP academic puts it, - mitigate team damage. Protection farming? Well, I can agree this task can be preformed in various degree of accuracy and efficiency, but farming!? If that were the case I guess we wouldn't see so many Zeros. But, hey, roll a tank if you think it's easy comms ...

No 2; Is to single out and mark the other teams healer/s followed by a relentless Harassment and interruptions of those marked healers. Now this doesn't show on any statboard and your damage output might suffer, but this is an art form that, when preformed well, creates some great ignorant whine threads on this forum. But, interrupts, splitting the healer from his group is nothing you'll never notice this by looking at the statboard! it requires a understanding and an eye for the game to notice.

And lastly never confuse a good tank with the dude who just wanna look cool with a lightsaber.

Of the two main objectives and reasons for a tank to be in PvP only 1 is rewarded, but if these 2 are preformed well then the tank is the asset it should be.

No 1; EAT damage or as a PvP academic puts it, - mitigate team damage. Protection farming? Well, I can agree this task can be preformed in various degree of accuracy and efficiency, but farming!? If that were the case I guess we wouldn't see so many Zeros. But, hey, roll a tank if you think it's easy comms ...

No 2; Is to single out and mark the other teams healer/s followed by a relentless Harassment and interruptions of those marked healers. Now this doesn't show on any statboard and your damage output might suffer, but this is an art form that, when preformed well, creates some great ignorant whine threads on this forum. But, interrupts, splitting the healer from his group is nothing you'll never notice this by looking at the statboard! it requires a understanding and an eye for the game to notice.

And lastly never confuse a good tank with the dude who just wanna look cool with a lightsaber.

Agree completely. I have 2 pvp tanks and 2 pvp healers. When I'm on my healer a good tank harassing me makes it a major pain to keep anyone else alive. When I play my tanks Guard always goes to the healer first. If there's no healer, well it gets a bit more tricky then. I guard whoever I see is doing the things they should be doing. A dps focusing the enemy healer is always going to be the first to get my guard. Taunts should always be used on CD, no exceptions and no excuses not to use them.