Is hacking currently a major problem in PVP?

CmdrShpd

no, you do not "need" to be using any exploit, bur, or other method to gain advantage.. if you are doing so you are part of the problem and should sit down and ****. This is the same logic that convinces people its ok to use a lag switch since it "isnt really hacking" as though that makes it somehow less lame to make such a conscious effort to gain an advantage.

If you need to use any of these things, you suck, period.

what if you already had your ship equipped, would you unequip it before every warzone? if yes what about the people with an equipped ship who don't know about the issue?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, you do not "need" to be using any exploit, bur, or other method to gain advantage.. if you are doing so you are part of the problem and should sit down and ****. This is the same logic that convinces people its ok to use a lag switch since it "isnt really hacking" as though that makes it somehow less lame to make such a conscious effort to gain an advantage.

If you need to use any of these things, you suck, period.

The problem is that many people are doing it without even realizing it. With that kind of game bug, the ideal would be one of two things: 1) everybody is informed of it and everybody removes ship mods, 2) everybody is informed of it and everybody equips ship mods. Being that it is highly unlikely that everybody will be informed of it, there will certainly be some players who unknowingly do not have this advantage and some that unknowingly do. You can't expect everybody to just remove their ship mods and not do the space missions anymore (although I'm not sure how many still do them), or diligently remove the mods before queuing for a warzone. BW needs to fix it.

In the meantime, the best solution is for everybody to use it. Tell everybody about it. I've been mentioning it in warzone chat. If you don't want to have a stat advantage, tell everybody to use it. Refusing to use it and refusing to inform others of it is accepting a stat disparity among players due to a game bug. I choose to get as many players as possible on a more even playing field, thereby negating the bug for the most part. I have zero ethical issues with this. In fact, I find it unethical to refuse to tell others about it and quite masochistic to refuse to use it.

I've seen two instances since launch of obvious speed hacking. Hacking isn't very common and most accusations of hacks are from people who don't have a full understanding of the games mechanics/abilities/talent (i.e. your friends)

^this. I had one friend who recorded himself speed hackin just to show it could be done during the early days of the game and he was pretty much perma-banned. Anyone cryin hacks now especially without any proof simply might not understand the game mechanics.

Bots are not hacking. Nothing about a bot is altering the game. Botting is just emulating keyboard and mouse inputs. And hacking is far from a problem in this game. They pop up once in a blue moon but its hardly as rampant as many of the baddies seem to think it is.

This^^

• 4 months later...

3 of us were doing Daily's and came across someone with their PVP flag on, so for sport we decided to take him, right? Poor guy, your thinking.

All of us at lvl 60 with 1500+ DPS, this guy folded quickly to 60% health and went no lower. One of us was a healer and this guy tamed us. So, we say, ***, that is impossible. So, we saw him again 5 minutes later and tried again. Same result. His health would not go below 60% and he wiped us out quickly. This was the day of the 3.2.1 update.

I see people saying there are no hacks, just Bads. BS on that.

This hack was for a health limit and a DPS boost. Or it was 2 different hacks. Hacks will totally ruin a game and the developers need to stay on top of it.

3 of us were doing Daily's and came across someone with their PVP flag on, so for sport we decided to take him, right? Poor guy, your thinking.

All of us at lvl 60 with 1500+ DPS, this guy folded quickly to 60% health and went no lower. One of us was a healer and this guy tamed us. So, we say, ***, that is impossible. So, we saw him again 5 minutes later and tried again. Same result. His health would not go below 60% and he wiped us out quickly. This was the day of the 3.2.1 update.

I see people saying there are no hacks, just Bads. BS on that.

This hack was for a health limit and a DPS boost. Or it was 2 different hacks. Hacks will totally ruin a game and the developers need to stay on top of it.

It's called having 2018 expertise... Did any of you have PVP gear on?

I bet he had full dark reaver gear with 2018 expertise and had min maxed his gear... That's why he could 1v3 you...

I have quite often been in outlaws den and been jumped by 3 people thinking I will be an easy kill... Only for me to kill them and get called a hacker...

No, it is not.

I have been in this game in some iteration or another since day 1 of the beta and i have actually seen 1 thing that i thought was an actual hack.

You will see some artificial lag, but thats not a hack just a lame attempt to convince oneself they are better than they are.

less that legit behavior is also not a hack, such a win trading and queue syncing.

So as said above no hacking is not an issue in this game.

There is no hacking in swtor. Theres a lot of win trading though if thats what they are talking about.

Only bads blame hacking.

When I played back in 2012 there were plenty of hacks; I'm betting that many of those original hacks are still around in some form. Stuff that was a problem back then was teleport hacks in Huttball (ball grabbed and capped as soon as the game began). Speed hacks were pretty blatent; capping turrets before speeders landed.

I have only seen hacking in PvP once since 2.0 came. That's a while ago, you know.

Yet, I have been accused of hacking many times, along with guildies. Why? Because people are just bad - but also because people do not know other classes their abilities, e.g. I recently had a few players who called us out for hacking after winning a Huttball within 1.5 minute. "We just rolled right thru everything!". I contacted these players afterwards and they were unaware of concealment/scrapper having immunity on roll. :rolleyes:

Yes, this is endgame PvP in SWTOR.

Why hack when you can premade in regs if you are too chicken to play fair ? Much more effective and obviously not bannable.

No hacks are not very common - most anomalies can be attributed to lag except for the odd really, really fast cap in voidstar.

Edited by Bobbafatter

• 3 months later...

hacking has been an issue in this game for a long time...plenty of deniers who, as someone pointed out, are doing it for various reason...i think most fall into two categories 1- those who are naive/ignorant 2-those who hack to boost their skills and muddy the waters

the problem with hacks is that once you have seen them you begin to start to suspect everyone who does something out of the norm...skill becomes synonymous with hacking after a while...its a disease and on the harbinger server that disease is very real and very destructive...i played this game in beta and onward since then...i have quit playing 3-4 times for extended periods of time because pvp just wore me out...and every time i return there they are again...the names change, the guilds change but the attitudes and the people doing it are the same...i was there for the 'hax' named guilds and players (a few of them are still around though its rare to see them anytime but on weekends and usually late at night)

ive seen speed hacks, wall hacks, tele-hacks (void star was a notorious wz for that), invisible capping hacks, toons that are invisible save for their guns (i just saw two of them yesterday)...but by far the most destructive are the ones u cant see...the guys who run their damage say 5% higher and their defenses the same...how can u separate them from the actual good players...well the only way is to pvp your *** off...get geared...and learn your toons...once u get there u realize that guy that you always thought was just a plain ****** beyond calculation was probably just cheating

ive read this entire post and this wall-o-text is my only response to it...yes hacking exists....yes it ruins pug-unranked pvp...yes skill does exist...and yes a premade will always beat a pug all things being equal...and yes plenty of people to this day still deny it...all evidence to the contrary.... why do they do this you decide

I brought this up in another thread a week or two ago, when I was on a match in harbinger against the pubs. they had a premade of about 3-4 mandos, and whatever wz these mandos ended up joining, their team would always crit. from tracer missile to hammer shot, anything their team did crit. I would hazard a guess the surge was increased as well, as many times the hits were upwards of 14-16k (for things like tracer missile and such, auto attacks and the like were smaller obviously)

I have only seen hacking once in huttball, and that was back near launch. One player on an empire team was able to instantly grab and score, the game ended very very quickly with even the empire team apologising at the end in say as they had no idea how/who was doing it.

We all just reported the guy with 12k objectives score on their team though... Must have worked as i never saw it happen again.

I have however been 'accused' (and reported) of hacking several times since as a sentinel for speed hacking (transcendance) and for stealthing since they believed sentinels cannot stealth (Force camo). Despite those reports i am still here of course :)

I brought this up in another thread a week or two ago, when I was on a match in harbinger against the pubs. they had a premade of about 3-4 mandos, and whatever wz these mandos ended up joining, their team would always crit. from tracer missile to hammer shot, anything their team did crit. I would hazard a guess the surge was increased as well, as many times the hits were upwards of 14-16k (for things like tracer missile and such, auto attacks and the like were smaller obviously)

You'll see from many of my posts that I fall on the hacks are problem side... But there are a few things that could of contributed to what you describe...

Firstly what gear were you or your team mates in?... ie what was your expertise rating?

If it was sub 2018, then you can expect to get hit more often with crits and with a hell off a lot more surge damage...

I often crit more and at a much higher rate if I come across badly geared players... I've even crit 14k on my Lightning Sorc and criting on my merc at 19k...

It's also possible that those mandos had a crit build...

If you have a combat log of the matches you can look back through... If your gear was ok at 2018 and if it was a cheat, you should be able to see in your combat log each hit you took... If every hit was a crit, then it would be fishy, not impossible, but fishy... If that happened every match they were in... Then send the combat log to Bio...

You'll see from many of my posts that I fall on the hacks are problem side... But there are a few things that could of contributed to what you describe...

Firstly what gear were you or your team mates in?... ie what was your expertise rating?

If it was sub 2018, then you can expect to get hit more often with crits and with a hell off a lot more surge damage...

I often crit more and at a much higher rate if I come across badly geared players... I've even crit 14k on my Lightning Sorc and criting on my merc at 19k...

It's also possible that those mandos had a crit build...

If you have a combat log of the matches you can look back through... If your gear was ok at 2018 and if it was a cheat, you should be able to see in your combat log each hit you took... If every hit was a crit, then it would be fishy, not impossible, but fishy... If that happened every match they were in... Then send the combat log to Bio...

It wasnt my gear and it wasnt just me. the whole wz was talking about it each time these guys were in there. I have fully augmented min/max DR. even say our whole team had 1350 expertise. it still wouldn't make every attack they ever used a crit.

It wasnt my gear and it wasnt just me. the whole wz was talking about it each time these guys were in there. I have fully augmented min/max DR. even say our whole team had 1350 expertise. it still wouldn't make every attack they ever used a crit.

Were they running in a group?... Sometimes if people of the same class are in a gank group it can seem like every hit is a crit...

I do seem to remember a premade of mandos running around the other day pumping out massive DPS... More than I'm used to seeing from that class... I didn't pay much attention to it as a 3-4 man premade focusing is usually a recipe to disaster... After the second match with them in it I took a break... The pugs around that day were never going to compete... They could barely win a match when these guys weren't in it...

... toons that are invisible save for their guns (i just saw two of them yesterday)...

Not a "hack", that's a bug with the new Gree Regen item. I reported it the day after it was released as I saw a friend do it in an Op, and another player do it in a WZ. They know about it, just fail to fix it.

edit: Being "fixed" in 3.3.2...by "fixed", they're just removing your ability to use it in WZ's.

Edited by TUXs

I get accused of hacking daily, usually by unskilled and/or underperforming players. When I was new I used to do the same thing. I've come to realize that most truly experienced players don't accuse others of hacking, with the exception of the whole DDoS incident which is understandable.

Many players look for excuses as to why they lost a match or are not performing well in a warzone. Most people have an external locus of control and are unable to attribute their failures to their own errors or lack of skill. Virtually all of the truly exceptional PVPers in SWTOR are hard on themselves.

To piggyback on those points, a lot of players tend to use the "blame the pugs" excuse as a crutch. Usually this is a legit reason, but it's important to not shift all blame to the incompetent right side of the ops frame (or other 7 players) and look at what you could have done differently. For instance, a good player can push their buttons and put up numbers, or possess excellent objective awareness. But truly great players - true masters of their classes - can do both consistently; they have command of the entire warzone while pumping out above average damage and/or heals. Until you can do 2k dps on a burst spec or 2.5k dps on a dot spec while stopping caps, responding to calls, peeling, and manufacturing clever kills, you have room for improvement and should not be blaming hackers and/or pugs. Unless you don't really care about regs (or that particular reg), in which case you shouldn't be salty to begin with.

Things I've been called a hacker for doing:

- Using hydraulics to negate slows and roots (Accuser unaware of how cooldowns work)

- Absorbing damage with chaff flare (Accuser unaware of how cooldowns work)

- Seismic grenades (Accuser unaware of how effective cybertech can be)

- Responding to nodes before the enemy even realizes that they want to hard switch (I guess elementary-level common sense mind reading that any 5 year old should be able to do is hacking)

- Spawn camping said enemy at the opposite spawn entrance in novare when they decide to switch back to the other node (Accuser doesn't think I have common sense I guess)

- Spawn camping in Quesh (Accuser doesn't understand the layout of the map)

- Tabbing over to a nearby target, interrupting them, and then tabbing back to resume dps (Accuser doesn't understand that some people can press buttons)

- Passing to the tier 3 corner in quesh (Accuser has no spatial awareness)

- Lagging/glitches/funny positioning (Accuser doesn't realize how bad the engine is)

- Knocking tank and healer 15 meters in opposite directions, stunning tank, and bursting the now unguarded healer. (Accuser doesn't understand how guard works and/or doesn't realize that some people have at least kindergarten-level intelligence and can make a play)

- Getting a dps down to 50 percent, tabbing over and mezzing the healer, and then using an autocrit heatseeker and 5-stack railshot on the main target. (Accuser doesn't understand that some people use all their abilities, not just their damage dealing moves)

- "Healing to full" (Accuser doesn't understand how off heals and/or utilities work)

- Rocket punch rooting someone with full resolve

- Kiting with predation from a teammate (Accuser doesn't understand the amazing group utility offered by a competent marauder teammate)

- Capping on the inside corner of the novare coast bunker (Accuser has no common sense)

- Coming out of stealth and capping behind a whole team (Accuser has no objective awareness)

Edited by Hoppinswtor

People say hacking doesnt exist- and its a learn to play issue, or its a lag issue.

But i can tell you that i have observed people hacking here and there throughout my time playing swtor. I have reported them, and i am guessing they have been banned since i havent seen them since.

I have videos of people doing things- and those videos helped a great deal with customer service.

Things i have seen (recurrent throughout the years):

1) Teleporting to specific spots in the map like cappable turrets, or on the otherside of the blast doors to plant a bomb. (Rapid re-deployment basically). (Sometimes teleporting into the enemy spawn zone and fighting inside there)

2) speed hacking (grabbing a speed buff- and it wouldnt expire until death).

3) no cooldown on medpacks. (Literally seeing them inject there leg over and over again). Good thing it doesnt seem the hp regained wasnt a warzone med pack because i was able to eventually burst through them.

There is no hacking in SWTOR, Win trading is a diff story. I was accused of "speed hacking" this weekend. No idea what prompted that but ill admit it was really weird to be on that end of the hacking accusations. I was speechless at first and attempted to ask how or what makes this person believe I somehow hacked BW considering I cant even use photoshop.. anyway he didnt give me any reply other than some obscene insults and left the game.

Lesson here? It's not hacking you just arent AS good as you think you are. I have been playing off and on since launch and I have not seen anything I could say is hacking. I have seen some buggy rolls but I know thats exactly that, a little bug.

TL;DR Just have patience and read the whole thing. Jehesus charist