Developer Update: Introduction to Galactic Strongholds

TaitWatson

Nope, a hook system that can't be turned off is disappointing and will stifle creativity. The devs need to know that a good portion of the community wants to turn it off.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this isn't free placement? (First MMO). It looks like pretty much if it's a hard surface, you can stick a decoration of some sort to it, I think it's unrealistic to be looking for "Floating tables that clip through rocks to look like a ROCK TABLE"

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a suggestion... Can we maybe wait until we get our hands on it before we complain about the hooks.

Honestly short of any desire to defy the laws of physics... it looks like you will be able to do pretty much whatever you want to do with the various options given.

"Defying the laws of physics" is literally the point of decorating in other games, because you need to be able to stick items wherever you want to get the look you want.

This means you will not walk into another player's stronghold and be blown away, because they turned their Tatooine stronghold into a rainforest with a cave (for example)... it means you will just see furniture in different configurations, with everything else identical to everyone else's Tatooine stronghold. Disappointing.

And the devs need to know the players are disappointed.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this isn't free placement? (First MMO). It looks like pretty much if it's a hard surface, you can stick a decoration of some sort to it, I think it's unrealistic to be looking for "Floating tables that clip through rocks to look like a ROCK TABLE"

This is your first MMO, which means you haven't played other MMOs with decorating. It is absolutely not unrealistic for people playing this MMO to compare it to the decorating systems of other MMOs.

In free form placement you can often find items that will go well together. It's not like a floating table with a rock clipping through it.

For example those Rakata statues have a base on them. If it was free form placement I could put them by a door and clip the base through the floor so it looks like they are baseless and statues of rakata guarding a door. Taking a less serious approach to that, I could put a hat on them or something on them.

Things look good with the exception of whether we can put all of our crafting material in there and craft directly from them like we can now with our cargo holds.

I'm sure we will be able to put the crafting mats in there, but yes please Bioware make sure we can craft from the Legacy Bank!

Lead Designer Jesse Sky dives into some of the key features of SWTOR's new digital expansion: Galactic Strongholds.

Read More

Dear Jesse Sky (and the rest at Bioware)

Please have some professionalism. This is not the 90's, no one uses GIFs for demos anymore. Look at that noise. You're showcasing this to your paying customers. I got a negative impression from this just by the quality of the GIF you're trying to show me.

Dear Jesse Sky (and the rest at Bioware)

Please have some professionalism. This is not the 90's, no one uses GIFs for demos anymore. Look at that noise. You're showcasing this to your paying customers. I got a negative impression from this just by the quality of the GIF you're trying to show me.

Now *that* I just find silly. It's far more user friendly to put gifs in a post like this than to have random videos you have to watch for a 2 second animation. :p

Who are "Dedicated MMO room decorators" ? Are there real jobs within mmo's now , lol.

As for legacy storage , didn't I read somewhere that the early access subscribers get that for free , or is that just me ?

Otherwise it looks great , well done and ignore the nay sayers. Being able to nude and change from large to smaller hooks is more than enough to make unique dolls houses , I thank you!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Who are "Dedicated MMO room decorators" ? Are there real jobs within mmo's now , lol.

Maybe in Second Life, but he was more referring to people who like to spend most of there time in an MMO decorating houses. You had people like that in SWG, I would guess you have them in Wildstar to and if Bioware was to allow free form placement here you would probably see quite a few popup here as well.

Yeah... the reality is that while some players want complete freedom (and the chaos that comes with it)..... most players will benefit by the floating hook approach here. The hook defines a spot....and it appears there are lots of hooks... and you are free to adjust within the hook range. Not that different then how most people decorate their RL homes really. There are obvious spots in a room in RL where you put certain things, with others being less appropriate from an aesthetics and balance standpoint.

I'm not that into housing in MMOs....but given the lore setting here (SW) and the spaciousness and expandability being offered here.... I think it's a pretty good approach for a game designed to attract a wide range of players and tastes.

Edited by Andryah

So many tortured artists in this thread.

I for one am pretty excited. I actually didn't like SWG's means of decorating. It was way too time consuming. I would end up going to my house and just dumping things wherever I found a space because I hated messing with the x, y, and z axes.

This reminds me a lot of how Animal Crossing's housing works, and that was always tons of fun.

Also, I'm seeing the same 15 people complain about "being disappointed" and "this is the worst thing they could have ever done, they have essentially murdered my father in the street." So, if Bioware has disappointed a whopping 15 people with this, then kudos to them. Everything else they do seems to disappoint many more these days.

Good work. Loving the housing system so far.

In free form you can place a table then put a lamp on that table. With hooks you can place the table or the lamp.

In free form you can place a table then put a lamp on that table. With hooks you can place the table or the lamp.

Not necessarily.

Either now or in the future a table could have its own hook(s) on it.

Edited by ninjonxb

Looks great! I am most excited about the legacy bank, but the idea of craftable decorations makes me giddy.

I actually like the initial look of the hook system. I didn't originally like the sound of it because it seemed too restrictive, but if it works out as well as they are advertising, I think it will be a good balance between customization and "I don't want to spend 875512 hours on foyer."

So the only difference of the cargo bay is it is accessible to your entire legacy? Am I to understand that we will be able to put items that are bound to self and send them to other characters in our legacy ?? That would make my day.