Developer Update: Introduction to Galactic Strongholds

TaitWatson

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legacy storage sounds awesome. Looking forward to seeing some of the crafting & guild stuff going forward.

Am i the only one so far that doesn't like the Coruscant & Nar Shadda apartments. I'm pretty keen to live on Tatooine myself.

Not sure what the big deal is with the hooks. Comparing it to SWG is silly IMO. Different engine etc.

Nice job Bioware, looks good so far.

Looks good to me. The hook system looks flexible enough to make things easy to keep organized while not being too restrictive. I see the whining about hooks has already started, who didn't call that?

I'm not really interested in housing at all at the moment, but if they add more utility features like Legacy Storage except behind Stronghold Prestige requirement walls, I might become interested.

Nice that "crafters of all levels" will be involved, that is a VERY welcome change!

Legacy storage sounds awesome. Looking forward to seeing some of the crafting & guild stuff going forward.

Am i the only one so far that doesn't like the Coruscant & Nar Shadda apartments. I'm pretty keen to live on Tatooine myself.

Not sure what the big deal is with the hooks. Comparing it to SWG is silly IMO. Different engine etc.

Nice job Bioware, looks good so far.

The Repopulation which uses the same engine can handle free placement perfectly fine.

Legacy Storage is Cartel Market -or- Crafter.

Anyone else here worried that they'll pull the same garbage they pulled with the G7 ship components? You can get them for a brazillion Cartel Coins now, or you can wait 7 weeks until crafters have done enough of an artificially limited quest line and made enough of an artificially limited material to make them... :rolleyes:

^This.^^

It worries me, a lot.

Can we have an answer, please?

For all the haters in the thread so far.

Don't knock it till ya try it. All you have done so far is read a description, you haven't gotten to see the final product yet, nor will you till it launches so just chill out and wait. I would be willing to bet there are plenty of ways to make your stronghold your own and decorate it the way you want it. The twitch stream today isn't even going to give you an idea of the final product seeing as how they have already said the current UI is simply just a placeholder for what they will roll out at the launch of Housing.

Calm down and just wait till it launches. There is no use spewing your hate all over the devs and the rest of the readers right now.

Edited by RiVaN_

Can you put your times in BST? People who can't tell the time think it's 8 minutes late, and whilst it's a hilarious source of entertainment, probably shouldn't happen again

I was actually two hours early , not so entertaining , especially since they used to use BST when it was in BST and now they only use GMT when it is or isn't in GMT. It has made the whole time difference thing worse. So yes please make it so BW so I don't have to say sorry each time you do updates. Mind you they did get it wrong the last time themselves , which should have been a sign that even they get confused with it. No speeder for me was the outcome. Sad times.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Looks very nice and past my expectations actually. You guys will like what's in store for us. Very nice stuff coming in the very large patch coming. You will get to place what you want where you want in what looks like a hybrid approach that will please fans of both that uses the system so it can all flow together and have freedom where you want to put the stuff. The more you see it, the more you'll fall in love.

Just what I can tell ya :D

The Repopulation which uses the same engine can handle free placement perfectly fine.

SWTOR is going to be using a system that makes a lot of sense, while keeping it organized AND have freedom for the player. Trust me please.

SWTOR is going to be using a system that makes a lot of sense, while keeping it organized AND have freedom for the player. Trust me please.

The freedom seems very limited, at least from what is shown in the gifs. Maybe the stream will show it as being a little more free than it looks.

The freedom seems very limited, at least from what is shown in the gifs. Maybe the stream will show it as being a little more free than it looks.

Oh don't worry Marsher. Can't see much by gifs. You'll like it!

Whats your point?

I fail to see looking at http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/na/StrongholdsIntroduction_06302014/StrongholdsIntro_GIF_02.gif what the limitation is.

There may not be any items that are the size of 1x2 or 2x3

If there are not then I don't see the limitation.

We see the medium peg in the middle and at the top so you can have 2 small above it and below it. Or have all 4 above or below it.

If you have one small item you can put it wherever you please.

If you have one large item you would be limited in where you can place it even on a free form area.

Maybe the system is more limiting then I think it is, but looking at all the options you have it really doesn't seem that way.

But why argue, Some on these forums will ***** and moan no matter what Bioware announces.

I am just saying wait until we actually get our hands on it before going crazy.

The limitation you fail to see is that I cannot stack items with a hook system, like placing crates over crates to create my own little jumping puzzle (even though I still hate the jumping physics in SWTOR), or other such things. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is terrible what BioWare did there, but it is also not at the level some of the competion on the MMO market has provided.

The limitation you fail to see is that I cannot stack items with a hook system, like placing crates over crates to create my own little jumping puzzle (even though I still hate the jumping physics in SWTOR), or other such things. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is terrible what BioWare did there, but it is also not at the level some of the competion on the MMO market has provided.

I agree. The system they have, from the Live Stream, is actually quite impressive, for a hook system...but housing should have been about players creating their own place, not filling Bioware's slots...maybe they decided they could sell more items this way? I'd still love to see hooks able to be toggled on/off...

It's not bad for a hook system but it still needs an option to toggle it off. One of the developers seemed rather arrogant saying that players couldn't put items together in a way that would look good, or paint rooms in a way that would look better.

Seems like Bioware seem to think they are more creative than the collective player bases imagination. We can't put items on tables and are dependant on the items that Bioware put on tables for us for that. So yes it is still disappointing compared to a free placement system. It's good for a hook system but it's not competitive with more recent MMOs.

It's not bad for a hook system but it still needs an option to toggle it off. One of the developers seemed rather arrogant saying that players couldn't put items together in a way that would look good, or paint rooms in a way that would look better.

Seems like Bioware seem to think they are more creative than the collective player bases imagination. We can't put items on tables and are dependant on the items that Bioware put on tables for us for that. So yes it is still disappointing compared to a free placement system. It's good for a hook system but it's not competitive with more recent MMOs.

agree. i dont understand how they could make hooks in 2014 :p i mean what new mmo got that?

As a player, who's never played any MMO's before SWTOR, I had nothing to compare it Strongholds to. I think it looks absolutelt brilliant. And people may say, that you are disappointed in the hook system, I feel grateful for it, because otherwise I would have no idea how to set things up by free hand and then I would feel sad that I would have no use for my Strongholds.

To make a compromise, there should be the turn off function and that should be something BW should take into consideration. But people's also wanted the hood down function for ages. Who knows how long it will take, for this to happen, if ever. How about trying to look at the positive parts instead and wait and see if you're not impressed in the end, anyway. You can't really tell how it is, before you try it out for yourself, after all.

About Legacy Storage: FINALLY!!!! And of what I can read of it, it's what I've been hoping for would come. Getting tired of sending stuff from character to character :p

I'm not even in to decorating but this is pretty disappointing. Definitely should be able to be toggled on/off for people who want to get really creative. While I don't like doing it I would totally pay someone to create something for me like in SWG. Sad that that is not possible here. PUT A TOGGLE FOR HOOKS IN AND LET THE PEOPLE CREATE. Yes I'm sure it's more work but you DELAYED the update so you could make it awesome. Even for somebody who doesn't like to decorate this seems very restrictive and pretty disappointing. You raised expectations by delaying. It's your own fault people are disappointed.

As a player, who's never played any MMO's before SWTOR, I had nothing to compare it Strongholds to. I think it looks absolutelt brilliant. And people may say, that you are disappointed in the hook system, I feel grateful for it, because otherwise I would have no idea how to set things up by free hand and then I would feel sad that I would have no use for my Strongholds.

To make a compromise, there should be the turn off function and that should be something BW should take into consideration. But people's also wanted the hood down function for ages. Who knows how long it will take, for this to happen, if ever. How about trying to look at the positive parts instead and wait and see if you're not impressed in the end, anyway. You can't really tell how it is, before you try it out for yourself, after all.

About Legacy Storage: FINALLY!!!! And of what I can read of it, it's what I've been hoping for would come. Getting tired of sending stuff from character to character :p

your right , its just that i was so hyped :p and after playing around with housing system that got no hooks this was a let down for me

your right , its just that i was so hyped :p and after playing around with housing system that got no hooks this was a let down for me

I understand that. When you're hopes say one thing, but when it's not all what you hoped for, you get disappointed, and it takes time to shake off. I've been there. Though truthfully, not with SWTOR yet. My bar is not that high, because I've never played other MMO's, so that might be why ;)

"Defying the laws of physics" is literally the point of decorating in other games, because you need to be able to stick items wherever you want to get the look you want.

This means you will not walk into another player's stronghold and be blown away, because they turned their Tatooine stronghold into a rainforest with a cave (for example)... it means you will just see furniture in different configurations, with everything else identical to everyone else's Tatooine stronghold. Disappointing.

And the devs need to know the players are disappointed.

This ^ is what it's all about. Unless you can do exactly stuff like this, it will provide no further entertainment over just another spot to stand in between WZ pops.

I wanna be able to use my random junkloot to decorate a "cantina with drumsets, speakers and mixers" - and here i'll be lucky if i can turn a damn dishplate upsidedown and pretend it's a drum. There is absolutly no freedom in this game, just like BW wants it.

Im not really bothered though, i expected to get nothing more then a few rooms to stand in - and thats exactly what i got. Just another poor excuse for content, in a bad illusion of player deco.

EDIT: It's sad how they start off the entire stream with "Well uuh....we wanted to make it as easy as possible.." Pathetic.

Edited by Twin