Very hard strike from WildStar.

helpmewin

You're only going to hear reports of "wildstar is bad, wildstar is a fad" on these forums. This is for 2 reasons in particular:

1. The people who would defend wildstar are, strangely enough, out enjoying wildstar and not posting on the swtor pvp forum. Who would've thought.

2. The players who have left for wildstar, as harsh as it sounds, might be trying to avoid bads/casuals who will stick with swtor. They might not want you. They might rather have you all sit hear bagging wildstar in the hopes that they don't find you in the wildstar pvp queue.

Look at your respective PvP servers; Bastion, POT5, TOFN. All the good players who played on your servers (read: all the good ranked 4's teams) are no longer playing this game. The grouped leaderboards havent seen any significant activity by those in top spots. They're done. And if wildstar fails (which it won't, because wow, there's cross-server ranked and regs, 3 variations of arenas, ranked bg's, and 40-man objective-based gameplay, and different people responsible for the various classes in the game (rather than 1 dude)) they won't come back to this game. They can't. It's boring. It's no longer relevant due to lack of competition. It's lacking features and future direction.

Really though, have fun playing swtor regs. Who knows, some of the bads in the reg queue (on every server) might actually start queuing ranked now that the last of the good ranked players have left the game. The queue syncers in yolo queue will form up to try feel like they're relevant. Those guilds who traded wins for rancors will emerge from the depths. And I'm sure the madness buffs will be fun for everyone too. And vigi will keep on being vigi.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but more than likely, they will bring back ranked 8v8s.

I will fall straight out of my chair if that happens. I mean, there's not a lot of people even playing 4's at the moment.

Bringing ranked 8's back would be the one thing that might bring some of my friends back that quit, but at this point, I don't see it happening. And it would really NEED cross server.

Edited by Gnoblesse

Ebon Hawk server PvP is going great. We've got ranked and unranked that pop regularly, granted ranked needs to be organized a bit before it pops (Spamming /2 chat on fleet). In fact, we've even created a PvP chat for both factions.

As far as the future of PvP in SWToR, I have faith that PvP is about to get better. Sure, the devs have been playing house lately, but not as much as you think. They've been working on the War that's about to happen in 3.0. This War should bring about new Warzones, probably a new PvP game mode, but more than likely, they will bring back ranked 8v8s, along with separate queues for arenas and 8v8s.

Fingers crossed, kneeling for prayers, rubbing my rabbits foot.

Hey, On'mar.

You guys should really take heed of his post -- the PvP community is going well on the Ebon Hawk right now. If you're worried about server population, then RP servers are always the way to go. People on RP servers will stick around to RP regardless of any flubs the devs make with the game itself. There'll always be PvP, even if it's filled with a lot of casuals and the like.

At least they queue, though, and a lot of folks from PvP servers have migrated to RP servers which has given the PvP community a bit more of a serious tone than in years previous.

Cinko here, btw. We're guildies.

And I don't think WildStar is really that big of an issue. It'll have its boom and its decline just like any other new MMO. I think ArcheAge is much more of a threat to SWTOR than any other game simply by the fact that it's very much like SWG and a ton of SWTOR players pine for that kind of expansive freedom that SWG provided. Even so, when I go to play ArcheAge, I'm still going to play SWTOR because it's Star Wars and the closer we get to the new trilogy of films, more and more players will come back to SWTOR or even join again for the first time. I think BioWare is preparing itself for this and while the pace may not be sufficient for a lot of current players, it'll work out best for the game's future in the long run if they're looking past the immediate future.

The hard truth is that they can afford to lose a few of us right now. The gains they'll pick up down the road will more than compensate. In business, sometimes you've got to make those kinds of impersonal calls for the good of your company's welfare and honestly, I can't blame them for it.

PvPers always complain in every mmorpg. Swtor is pve centric game, which means pvp takes a back seat to pve. There are plenty of pvp centric games like league of legends, bf, or other pvp games. The whole idea of a gear grind in pvp game is absurd. Add the impossibility to balance classes is why pvp will never be popular in mmorpgs. You either make a pve game or pvp game. In almost every mmorpg the pvp servers are the least populated. In wow I believe there are more pve servers, but illidan is the most populated server, which is a pvp server. The problem with illidan is the server is like +90% populated by horde and it might as well be a pve server since you rarely see any alliance players out in the wild.

Yeah yeah.

So explain me why wildstar has more PvP servers than PvE ones and they are all full population.

Where there is good working ELO system without discouraging players?

This one is a contradiction, unfortunately. Had to point that out. ELO system discourages high rankers from playing with low rankers by design.

Yeah yeah.

So explain me why wildstar has more PvP servers than PvE ones and they are all full population.

Because it recently launched?

This sort of thing has happened quadrillion times in the past with other MMOs and people still think this is "the real thing and the others were not"?

Edited by Karkais

PvPers always complain in every mmorpg. Swtor is pve centric game, which means pvp takes a back seat to pve. There are plenty of pvp centric games like league of legends, bf, or other pvp games. The whole idea of a gear grind in pvp game is absurd. Add the impossibility to balance classes is why pvp will never be popular in mmorpgs. You either make a pve game or pvp game. In almost every mmorpg the pvp servers are the least populated. In wow I believe there are more pve servers, but illidan is the most populated server, which is a pvp server. The problem with illidan is the server is like +90% populated by horde and it might as well be a pve server since you rarely see any alliance players out in the wild.

That and the final part to your sig is why NO one in this thread or on this forum should EVER take you seriously

Anyone remember how many servers TOR had at launch?

And you could spend six hours waiting in queue to just sign on to your server.

Despite the laggy, buggy mess TOR was at launch and it lacked endgame content (still does to this day), TOR pre-F2P will always be what it was during its prime because even though it was getting LOTS of criticism at least it will still getting attention and exposure. TOR has done so bad now however and has bled so many players that no one in the MMO community cares about TOR.

Hilariously wrong. People were crying for arenas and off rails space combat since launch.

Hilariously wrong as well. There were no people "crying" for arenas. A few dimwits requested smaller scale PvP, but the VAST, OVERWHELMING MAJORITY wanted LARGER scale PvP, not smaller. I was here, I know what I'm talking about.

And yes, off rails PvE space with PvP potential, not WZ's in space. Free roam was a buzz word they used...there is no "roaming" in GSF, it's flying in the box, like every WZ is.

The WS hype might be temporary, but (almost) everybody who was remotely serious about pvp in swtor is play it now, why?

Because it has exactly those feature, pvper were asking about in swtor for ages (and all we got was the Musco No).

Class Balance, heck class balance is always in issue in every MMO... I play a stalker... bottom of the footchain pretty much, like concealment operative (so i am used to it), but it is fun to play.

Graphics always will be a matter of taste, i actually dont find it so bad.

QQ on the forums.... well yeah healing is OP, this class is OP that class is OP... it will always be the same everywhere. In WS l2p is probably a major reason for that too, since everybody still has to l2p. And you know forum warrior lack inside in general, as is usually exposed in these forums (which is why they are fun :p) Class balance is a difficult business especially when you balance around multiple amounts of content.

To ranked arenas in SWTOR you can basically bring almost everything now (assuming good player), every class has at least one viable spec(in th e right hands). You cant balance around yolo and regs though. A shame team ranked is mostly dead :p

Wildstar has more rated content 2s, 3s, 5, 10v10 and 40v40. That is harder why harder to balance and also there is about a felt trillion of spec for every class, so many options and a tweaks, that i would be surprised if the balance QQ is more of issue of people not having found there min maxed set up yet.

bugs.... It is not surprising that even a well coded game has trouble at launch in terms of bugs. As was pointed out the dev realized it was a mistake just starting with 1 pvp realm for europe and in very short time the game had transfers to lower pop server (with X-Server it doesnt matter on which server you actually are, you can group up x-server as well). About other issues we will have to see, but so far it seems the devs are paying attention.

As I used to main an operative and a scoundrel in this game, I can say that roll bug is about the most frustrating thing in this game and despite the community bringing up the issue time and time again, it still isnt fixed. Shroud/resilience. Smash, the ages they needed to fix AP in tank stance, now ED/FD.. tons of other gliches.

Wildstar while surely not perfect seems far better coded, it loads much quicker and in general, you spend why less time on loading screens and even when you get the archetypical clusterf**** you normally dont get lag, while if you tried OwPVP in this game if you had more than 40 players involved there server is close to crashing.

I stop here but i could go on.

I dont know, i personally didnt leave because I was so amazed by wildstar anyway. I did leave because PvP in this game became unbearable because of the population. Reg without being in a premade became just painful in recent months (and i dont care about winning or losing, i just want good mildly competitive matches), team ranked was dead, and yolo ranked has no point for me ( i tried it a few times, but didn't like it). On the pve front i have everything except nightmare progression (dont like wipefests, that much). NoGate for me mentally meant goodbye, since no hope on the pvp in this game and i think most people remotely serious about pvp thought the same.

You perfectly see how many better know posters on these forums have fallen silent in recent months... It shows what is gonna happen to this game now.

Wildstar will not kill starwar but I dont think the pvper are comming back even if they end up not liking it. There is no hope for pvp in this game.

The people who say arenas were never desirable are the ones who were getting carried on 8v8s and couldn't pull their own weight on 4v4s. That burden became a lot more apparent on 4v4s.

Also, while I enjoy swtor pvp a lot, it just doesn't have the support that Wildstar developers are giving it.

Being able to party up with people from different servers and queue for pvp? Go ahead!

Want to do 10v10 rateds or areans 2v2 3v3 5v5? They are all cross-server and pops are instantenous. Go ahead!

What reason do I have to stick with swtor pvp if the rated scene is dead? I went as far as going to different servers to do rateds after the scene in my server died. (Groups, solos aren't considered rateds).

The people who say arenas were never desirable are the ones who were getting carried on 8v8s and couldn't pull their own weight on 4v4s. That burden became a lot more apparent on 4v4s.

Also, while I enjoy swtor pvp a lot, it just doesn't have the support that Wildstar developers are giving it.

Being able to party up with people from different servers and queue for pvp? Go ahead!

Want to do 10v10 rateds or areans 2v2 3v3 5v5? They are all cross-server and pops are instantenous. Go ahead!

What reason do I have to stick with swtor pvp if the rated scene is dead? I went as far as going to different servers to do rateds after the scene in my server died. (Groups, solos aren't considered rateds).

The main reason why there are those that are saying 4s were never desirable was because it is true. Looks like you are new here, welcome to SWTOR f2p. By the way, I know multiple former ranked 8 stars who agree with the same assessment. Right after ranked 8s were canned they all unsubscribed and quit.

Edited by TORtanked

The main reason why there are those that are saying 4s were never desirable was because it is true. Looks like you are new here, welcome to SWTOR f2p. By the way, I know multiple former ranked 8 stars who agree with the same assessment. Right after ranked 8s were canned they all unsubscribed and quit.

They were desirable. Though bioware shouldn't have taken 8v8 out at its cost so all the bads that needed to be carried, could still be carried in 8v8s.(Even back then though, there were like what, 3 - 4 teams per server?)

Also no, I have been playing this game since launch. 20 lvl 55s.

Edited by Yurizin

Well the skilled set of rated 8v8 and 4s is quite different. You couldnt really be carried in 8v8 anyway, because the decent enemy side would imidiately spot you as the weakest link and focus fire you into oblivion, or you would be 1v1ed as a node guard or what ever. It was a different Meta that lot of people enjoyed more than 4s. That why a host of great players said good bye swtor last year, when the removal was announced, yet I am entriely sure you would have seen the same people in top ranked 4 teams of arenas would have been just added without removing 8v8.

Hardly anybody was really against arena, it was the unnecessary removal of content (content, that kept people playing the game), that led to good bye.

And you can fairly say, arenas werent capable of carrying competitive pvp in this game alone. They died out on most servers quicker than 8v8 ever did and even on the pvp hubs like ToFN, Pot5 or bastion there usually were only a handful of teams playing (number were rapidly declining over time as well).

Just to make the point. For many people me included the removal of 8v8 ranked was the worst move of BW concerning this game in terms of PvP. You ignore all the bugs, glitches and balance issues, but they removed content that kept a lot of people playing this game.

They were desirable. Though bioware shouldn't have taken 8v8 out at its cost so all the bads that needed to be carried, could still be carried in 8v8s.(Even back then though, there were like what, 3 - 4 teams per server?)

False

At the time, the whole european PvP community spent hard cash to transfer to TOFN, I was among them. So at that time (about 1 year ago), TOFN had well over 10 teams queueing at all times, THAT WAS the GOLDEN AGE of PvP. And it only lasted for about a month and a half, best time for PvP in Europe ever. All BW had to do then, was introduce Season 1, but instead they shafted the whole community, and caused mass unsubbing, which lead us at this point, the slow death of PvP. Arenas ruined the game for me, and a lot of other people. Only noobs are now left playing PvP, goodluck with that.

False

At the time, the whole european PvP community spent hard cash to transfer to TOFN, I was among them. So at that time (about 1 year ago), TOFN had well over 10 teams queueing at all times, THAT WAS the GOLDEN AGE of PvP. And it only lasted for about a month and a half, best time for PvP in Europe ever. All BW had to do then, was introduce Season 1, but instead they shafted the whole community, and caused mass unsubbing, which lead us at this point, the slow death of PvP. Arenas ruined the game for me, and a lot of other people. Only noobs are now left playing PvP, goodluck with that.

And even Carebear TRE had ranked going again for a while after Nostrum Dolus and Reality Check left. but yeah totally agree Alco :p

False

Well, that wasn't the case with US servers.

Lol yeah:rolleyes:

If players who prefer 8v8 are bads who needs to be carried then players who prefer 4v4 are brain dead scoreboard monkeys who can't play objective, only chasing kills...

Lol yeah:rolleyes:

If players who prefer 8v8 are bads who needs to be carried then players who prefer 4v4 are brain dead scoreboard monkeys who can't play objective, only chasing kills...

Right, because 4v4 grouped (Not yolo) requires no skill at all.

It does, but not as much as 8v8. You could wipe the entire enemy team in 8v8 and still lose...

Try taking a brain dead person in 4v4s and see how that turns out. That was doable in 8v8s, see my point?

Try taking a brain dead person in 4v4s and see how that turns out. That was doable in 8v8s, see my point?

Only against a bad team...Anyway what you said is that anyone who prefers 8v8 is bad who wants to be carried, which is obviously BS. Every arena player is a brain dead who can't play objective is just as true as every 8v8 supporter is a baddy who needs to be carried.

Played Wildstar beta which is why I'm still here. Some decent idea's but PvP is just bad, looks like a disco party and feels like a mess. Couldn't stand it.

I was thinking the same thing. Way too cartoony for my tastes. And like what someone else said before. This IS Star Wars IRL (In Real Life) You can't get any more real than this.