what elements of female character appearance would get you to whisper them

Jeweledleah

I maintain my belief that modestly dressed female characters automatically make people think that the player behind the character has to be female (because if it'd be a guy the character would wear skimpy outfits, right?). Furthermore the people who whisper stuff like that are most likely teenagers or... pretty close to teenagers in terms of mindset.

Ergo character that is believed to have a female player behind it equals weird whispers.

Just a theory, of course.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I maintain my belief that modestly dressed female characters automatically make people think that the player behind the character has to be female (because if it'd be a guy the character would wear skimpy outfits, right?). Furthermore the people who whisper stuff like that are most likely teenagers or... pretty close to teenagers in terms of mindset.

Ergo character that is believed to have a female player behind it equals weird whispers.

^^ Natürlich. :p

Buy expensive clothing and wear it on Tython ^^

I grinded hours for Last Handmaiden set. Then I bought it to global, and putted it to my fresh Sage.

Before I arrived to Gnarls two guys had /w me where did I get it. I was sorry to disappoint then by telling it costs around 3 M on my server ;)

Okay there was nothing offensive on that tough. I think most of dudes think that female toon in skimpy outfits is played by a guy. So these "I don't want to use matchmaking service, SWTOR will do same job" propably /w for toons they think could be played by girl.

... Which is bad strategy because most of female players I know, myself included play very varying characters, and you really cannot know which gender is player based on toon, and even if you ask them they may not be what they claim to be

No matter what I do to my characters, no one ever attempts to eSex me. I have my share of very exposed bodies, too (because it fits the character's story). And every single one looks totally different because I keep a massive variety in character RP / story design.

While odd, I'm definitely not complaining.

In fact on reflection, SWTOR is probably the least sexual harassment I've ever gotten in an MMO. Maybe Star Wars fans have lower testosterone levels or something?

Although that doesn't explain the people who are always emoting lesbian sex in the Fleet cantina...

funny I hadnt realized it..but you are right. I cant think of anyone mentioning getting "wanna be my GF?" whispers in the last couple of years....in other games it happened all the time.

Happens a lot on my Mercenary. White eyes, long blond hair. Red lipstick. Her outfit is the longcoat which shows the "bra", nice pair of pants etc. Color of her outfit in Primary Pink.

My other characters have nice outfits too, but don't get that much attention. I guess it must be the pink.

As some have said earlier... I think it's mainly the pink.

Most stereotypical MMO guys (the type that would hit on a female avatar at least) couldn't imagine a dude using pink on anything.

So they just assume that it must be a sign that you are a real girl and not just a dude playing a girl.

i have no idea what prompts people to whisper my characters, neither of them are dressed skimpy, one has the dramatic extrovert chest, and the other has the sensuous dress, but both have long pants, full boots and gloves, hats, everything else is pretty much covered....one is chiss, the other is human with the long white hair....

assuming you are the sort of person that would. you know - compliments, come ons, etc.

I'm very confused right now, becasue I have several female characters (body type 2) that deliberately wear various degrees of skimpy gear (not that it matters, but it has to do with their personalities, all my appearance decisions do), but they pretty much never get any disturbing attention.

but my assassin, who is well... insane and completely immoral, whom I put into pink outfit for contrast to what she does - every damn time I log in on a fleet. like literally, I'd log in on her for 5 minutes to pick up mission results and start new missions - and get a whisper. (I love villains that are or sugary and pastel - it makes their villany all the more horrible, becasue they don't look or sound villainous at first and may have very cutesy likes otherwise, Lord Zash, Debbie Jelinsky, Dolores Umbridge just to name a few )

she's fully covered (though wearing Mira's pants rather than skirtlike bottom). she's body type 4. I picked an interesting rather than "hollywood pretty" face for her. and yet, she's the one that gets all the whispers.

so what is it? what prompts people to approach one character but not the other? I'd love to know, becasue right now I'm completely and utterly confused.

"What is it?"

It's perverts being perverts. You had to ask?

Edited by Sidenti

You may be close to the mark there. I've several female characters, 1 human, 1 chiss, 1 pureblood and 1 mirialan.

The pureblood looks like a body builder (with the most minimalistic corresponding outfit I can find), and NEVER has had any comment about 'her' looks. Neither has the human or mirialan (body type 2 and 4 respectively).

The chis however (also body type 4) I recently outfitted with the polar outfit, dyed it pale blue with purple on the rims, and the first time I took her out to Hoth I immediately got one comment, which mostly was about her looking so in-place and not about her 'sexiness'. Funnily enough my Ashara companion with her red skin and white bikini and white knee boots I also got a remark about how sexy she looked...go figure...

And why I even have female characters? Simple, not so I can get her to wear skimpy outfits, I have no real sense of dressing up anyways, but just because I rather look at a woman's behind than that of a guy...even though I do have male characters and my main actually being a male.

I maintain my belief that modestly dressed female characters automatically make people think that the player behind the character has to be female (because if it'd be a guy the character would wear skimpy outfits, right?).

It's not a bad theory but one might need a lot of play time to prove it. I've not gotten a single flirt or comment on any of my SWToR characters, male or female. The only MMO character of mine that people have hit on is my female blood elf paladin in WoW. She does fit your theory though - always looking good in heavy full plate (back in TBC she even refused to use some gear because it made her look silly). No chainmail bikini there, no Sir!

My female Jugg has actually gotten a fair few OOC kudos for the fact that I intentionally made her a cyborgy, corrupted, cracked-skin and ugly mess.

Even got a couple of requests for some pretty racey stuff, but I don't even ERP, let alone do stuff involving hooks and whips and chains.

PS. How do you even do that on an MMO? Actually...don't answer that. :p

Reading this thread kinda makes me want to create a new character dress her in pink and just stand in the fleet and watch the whispers coming in. On the other hand I _do_ have a female twi'lek that absolutely does not get (as in understand) any innuendo at all, which is very much fun as well. (Makes me wish they'll fix the chatbug, but that's another matter)

As for twi'leks being teenaged boys' favourite I think that's also a bit related to them supposedly being "more nimble" or anything. Though that's in-universe, so I might be wrong about that.

I'd like to also add that as a member of the male populace I personally don't get the preference of Bodytype 4. In my eyes it's just too bulky. BT3 isn't a favourite of mine either, but my BH got it, because it fits her character - and it leads to some interesting conversations as well. Makes her stand out quite literally.

To return to topic (sort of), as somebody else pointed out already, whispers are... semi out of game, so it's more of a mindset of "That could actually be a girl." and most of the time (but not always) out of character anyways. It's also why I seldom whisper people and if it is in character simulate a holocall or something along the lines assuming we're not close anyway (i.e. in the same cantina or anything).

Long story short: I would probably ignore/not react to those "random" whispers unless they're really creative. Or I'm really bored.

I'd like to also add that as a member of the male populace I personally don't get the preference of Bodytype 4. In my eyes it's just too bulky. BT3 isn't a favourite of mine either, but my BH got it, because it fits her character - and it leads to some interesting conversations as well. Makes her stand out quite literally.

You are in the minority on that opinion.

I have over 28 female toons...the ONLY ones I get compliments on are the type 4's. And I get them often.

As for twi'leks being teenaged boys' favourite I think that's also a bit related to them supposedly being "more nimble" or anything. Though that's in-universe, so I might be wrong about that.

Wookiepedia says that selling young twi'leks girls into the "service industries" is a major part of the home-planet's exports, encouraged by the planet's government, and tolerated by the Republic. Wookiepedia also says that using sex to get what you want is an accepted part of the twi'lek culture.

SWTOR is consistent with this - the dancers are mainly if not all twi'leks and the one undeniable slave-prostitute you encounter

Vette's sister,

is a twi'lek.

You are in the minority on that opinion.

I have over 28 female toons...the ONLY ones I get compliments on are the type 4's. And I get them often.

None of my Type 4s have ever gotten any attention for anything. Not my first Assassin, dressed in classic Black Hooded Robe Sith style, or my ultra-down-to-earth Gunslinger that wears Drelliad, or my crazy Valkyrie warrior Shadow that wears Exquisite Dancer.

I actually get more (harmless / not creepy) attention on my Type 3 Twi'lek Commando than any of my Type 4s, but that may be because she's topless and dressed like John Rambo. :p

The one character that did get semi-frequent creeper whispers (Sorcerer) is Type 1, actually.

Wookiepedia also says that using sex to get what you want is an accepted part of the twi'lek culture.
Also Earth culture. :p Edited by SW_display_name

I have a sage with Nadia Grell in classic phantom top and a long black skirt - This gets a lot of attention along the lines of "What is Nadia wearing?"

I think its the pale skin black/slim/emo/goth look that gets the attention.

I also have a BH with an innocent-lloking face, but a cyber-eyepatch (cyborg) & scar (under) across the eye. She wears the Sandpeople Boodguard chest with a blood-red skirt. This often gets nice compliments for an outfit you don't often see in game these days. ( Chevin grand aquisitions event) it isn't classic Mando heavy armour.

I use 'inspect player ' if I see an outfit I like. - Shame one can't do it for companions. -though I find if I ask nicely people are usually more than willing to tell/show me. I fnd that complimenting someone gets a far better response than making lecherous comments! I can't usuially tell so I don't care whether its a guy or gal player behind the character.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I believe it's the lekku. You know, soft, sensitive, prominent body part which comes in pair.
Yes, part of it is a female with exposed, swinging, dangling, flesh-colored things on display while she dances.

But also, Lekku are not-very-subtly phallic. Connect-the-dots from there to other kinds of prawn that men secretly enjoy.

Even excepting that, Lekku give Twi'lek a kind of permanent "healthy long-haired female" profile — Twi'lek tend to be skinny, with the lekku mimicking the look and movement of long, healthy hair.

Compare that with, Fem Humans with the long, flowing Cartel style also tend to get more e-ttention. And men tend to make their female characters long-haired, I've noticed. They like hair (on your head). :p

Then the tattoos, exotic colors, exotic/"naughty" professions all make Twi'lek extra-intriguing. Kind of like the contrast between:

• Girl #1: Standard hairstyle, brown hair, brown eyes, normal clothing, intelligent, works 9-to-5 career, average healthy weight.
  • Girl #2: Long exotic hairstyle, exotic hair coloring, purple colored contacts, tasteful but indie/exotic fashion, tattoos, piercings, going to college but known to work as stripper to pay for it, noticeably skinny (still B cup chest)

Like... both girls are good, because they're healthy females. Girl #2 grabs a lot more attention / curiousity / intrigue, though. Twi'lek kind of hit all those notes, either literally model-wise or conceptually lore-wise — exotic + sexy + naughty.

There may even be a bit of whiteknighting instinct (for the lore-aware) since Twi'lek in general are like the most abused/enslaved/helpless species in the galaxy excepting really hopeless ones like Evocii.

(I don't think it's only "men" fascinated with Twi'lek though — I think we all are to some degree

:))

I've got a Sith inquisitor who's a body type 3 Sith pureblood who gets "compliments" quite often. She's wearing a body suit top with a red/black dye, slave girl bottoms from the security key vendor, knee high boots. I've heard "sexy Sith" and "tall drink of water" more times than I can count. I just laugh, say ty, and keep on pushing. :rolleyes:

As an addendum, because timing and all:

yesterday evening I recieved some compliments for my Bounty Hunter. BT3, cybernetic eye, wearing for the most part the white Hapani(?) Outfit with some black pants and the person whispering me said she'd be "the cutest girl he's ever seen" and all that stuff. Didn't really go into that and I don't get the cute vibe at all nor is that in any way representative, but yeah. Make of that as you will.

It did confuse me a bit. (it wasn't very creepy, it just came out of nowhere from my point of view)

Edited by Sirolar

I have played a good 6 or 8 female characters all dressed in a combination of dropped and crafted, and nobody ever bugged me. So, you don't want this kind of attentions - that's the recipe! Maybe having a Custom-App male companion trailing along in a lovingly augmented Atton's set helps too? Dunno.

I was referred to as 'he' in all 3 FPs I grouped up with random people, with a BT2 Twilek Smuggler in Esseles jacket and a Sith BT3 Mara in the class-orange. She now wears a random blue skirt with it (a completely revolting combo, but practical) so I don't expect whispers any time... ever. :p

Edited by DomiSotto