I am a Keyboard Turner

MCaliban

Didnt read above but I assume Everyone explained why this is bad, so

I may have a useful suggestion for you to use before PVP.

Simply, find a lower level mob to kite (circle around it) and pull it without hitting it. First try to keyboard turn and see the reaction time. Then same thing with mouse right click + A/D. You'll see that kiting will be faster and smoother.

You can practice it by simply using your speeder or on foot. Find a tree and circle around it without keyboard turning, make zigg zaggs, etc. Then add pressing button to that against lower level mobs. It's really simple when you got used to.

For that, you'll need keybindings: So watching SWTOR: Key Binding Guide: How to become a Non-Clicker may help. 6:40 is keyboard layout.

Good luck on PvP.

Edited by Xtremophile

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read several posts, I've noticed that 'keyboard turning' is a bad thing.

When I PvP, I usually move with WASD and then click abilities with my mouse. Is this bad?

Why is it bad?

What am I supposed to do?

Go ahead and keep doing what you are doing.

Results = key

If you are beating up a bunch of mouse turners in pvp then keep keyboard turning.

I am a keyboard turner and i beat mouse turners easy. (Unless there is like 5 guys that come out of nowhere)

I have played both ways (clicker and non-clicker), and honestly, unless you want to play on a high, hardcore level, it doesnt matter that much.

If you are in the game to be "the best e-p3nis around" on pvp and play on a harcore level, i suggest keybinding and mouse turning for a faster reaction.

But even a clicker and a keyboard turner can perform extremely well, both in ranked and in regular warzones.

IMO, more important than your keyboard turning and your clicking skills is your knowledge of the mechanics, your rotation, your gear and what to do (or not to do) when fighting.

You can have the best "Razor Whatever" mouse, have 90 keybindings and still be a total disaster. Having a clue of what you are doing is more important than clicking or not.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Just for clarification, what is a keyboard turner? I use WASD for movement (WS for back and forward and AD for side strafe). I do the actual turning - facing the enemy/object - with my mouse and right button. I seldom actually use S for backpedling (too slow) as turning is much faster, but I still prefer it this way. I use a G600 mouse with 12 buttons (can only manage 6) and have my other ablities keybound.

But I get the impression that some of you use the mouse entirely e.g. holding down the Left + Right for forward movement and of course turning with the mouse at the same time? That seems.... weird heh.

Just for clarification, what is a keyboard turner? I use WASD for movement (WS for back and forward and AD for side strafe). I do the actual turning - facing the enemy/object - with my mouse and right button. I seldom actually use S for backpedling (too slow) as turning is much faster, but I still prefer it this way. I use a G600 mouse with 12 buttons (can only manage 6) and have my other ablities keybound.

But I get the impression that some of you use the mouse entirely e.g. holding down the Left + Right for forward movement and of course turning with the mouse at the same time? That seems.... weird heh.

Keyboard turning is when you use W for forward, S for backward, D for right turn, and A for left turn. it makes you turn slower than if you use a mouse, which is why it usually is better to use a mouse to turn

Keyboarding is like using an old 1994 honda civic in a race when there is a free corvette right next to you.

Where the corvette is more likely to ram the next tree due to unbelievably high speed - a thing the Honda Civic is less likely to do.

Those who hate keyboard turners are most likely young, agile people with high reflexes andgood health.

I wonder if they'd be as fast as mouse turners from today when they are 60 years old.

Where the corvette is more likely to ram the next tree due to unbelievably high speed - a thing the Honda Civic is less likely to do.

Those who hate keyboard turners are most likely young, agile people with high reflexes andgood health.

I wonder if they'd be as fast as mouse turners from today when they are 60 years old.

Of course you are trying to make this about attitude. Fact is, keyboard turning is the single worst habit you can have if you want any success in pvp.

Except Corvettes being full-on sports car (not some adolensent's suped up mustang) are designed with high speed in mind and can make turns at higher speed, the Honda Civic isn't designed to take any kind of turn greater than those found on a interstate at speed.

Thus in the end the Honda Civic is more likely to hit the tree than the Corvette.

So if I use a mouse to turn, I'm going to start hitting trees. Okay then.

You're still keyboard turning even after all this time? It's been almost 2 months since your first post. I think I understand why you were complaining about assassins now.

Edited by sithBracer

I think you misread me. I haven't been keyboard turning since I unbound my S key.

I am also unsure what you mean by complaining about assassins. I have a shadow.

Edited by MCaliban

Having read several posts, I've noticed that 'keyboard turning' is a bad thing.

When I PvP, I usually move with WASD and then click abilities with my mouse. Is this bad?

Why is it bad?

What am I supposed to do?

i am a keyboard turner too, it is a bit slower, but it works best for me. some people will tell you to buy some expensive gamer mouse, don't

i am a keyboard turner too, it is a bit slower, but it works best for me. some people will tell you to buy some expensive gamer mouse, don't
Why would you not recommend a gamer mouse when it's superior to clicking in every way`The only thing that is better than a gamer mouse is proper keybinding, assuming the mouse buttons arent enough to cover all abilties. Edited by MidichIorian

Why would you not recommend a gamer mouse when it's superior to clicking in every way`The only thing that is better than a gamer mouse is proper keybinding, assuming the mouse buttons arent enough to cover all abilties.

Personally, I found I needed to get a gaming mouse and a gaming pad in order to fully utilize the ability to bind and mouse turn.

I run with a Taurus game pad and a Naga mouse, and I felt the analog stick was needed for the actual movement portion of the mouse turning, in order to effectively utilize binds.

As for the actual act of keyboard turning, it's an unnoticeable disadvantage at best in regular 8v8 WZs if you have very good reflexes. In ranked PvP and dueling, you will find it more strenuous to exist as a keyboard turning player because those types of PvP fights are always very fast paced, and every disadvantage in reaction speed will be noticeable at that pace.

Also, there are some specs that are tuned more for bindings and mouse turning, such as Carnage Marauder and Deception Assassin. But not every spec is going to see a massive increase in potential when you make the swap, even though every spec will see at least a small mark in capability.

Edited by ZooMzy

Personally, I found I needed to get a gaming mouse and a gaming pad in order to fully utilize the ability to bind and mouse turn.

I run with a Taurus game pad and a Naga mouse, and I felt the analog stick was needed for the actual movement portion of the mouse turning, in order to effectively utilize binds.

As for the actual act of keyboard turning, it's an unnoticeable disadvantage at best in regular 8v8 WZs if you have very good reflexes. In ranked PvP and dueling, you will find it more strenuous to exist as a keyboard turning player because those types of PvP fights are always very fast paced, and every disadvantage in reaction speed will be noticeable at that pace.

Also, there are some specs that are tuned more for bindings and mouse turning, such as Carnage Marauder and Deception Assassin. But not every spec is going to see a massive increase in potential when you make the swap, even though every spec will see at least a small mark in capability.

Speaking as someone who also invested in a Naga, and then proceeded to level a new "mirror toon" on another server from the ground up to relearn everything as a mouse turner/binder rather than my old keyboard turning ways, I do find the difference quite noticeable even in regs. Mouse turning makes using overload defensively to Make Them Pay much easier (ofc I speak as a sorc; as a sin you probably don't need to use overload as much and have the element of surprise more often when you do).

You don't need an expensive mouse to use it to turn. A standard mouse with three buttons (or even two, but I don't think there are any left without a mousewheel...) will do just fine.

You don't need an expensive mouse to use it to turn. A standard mouse with three buttons (or even two, but I don't think there are any left without a mousewheel...) will do just fine.

Strictly for turning, no, you don't need a fancy mouse. But the 12-key on my naga is certainly nice for offloading binds from my cramped laptop keyboard--which is a big reason why I was a clicker before I got one. Mouseturning and clicking are almost entirely mutually exclusive in combat, so if you have a crappy, cramped keyboard that interferes with bind modifiers (shift, alt, etc), a gaming mouse might still be a good idea. In my case, I don't need to use alt at all and I can shift with my left hand and 12-key naga with my right hand, which is MUCH better than trying to use shift-modified binds entirely with the crappy keyboard I have.

I use a controller to move around and target. And I click abilities with mouse myself. I can move from one ability to the next in the timespan of GCD.

Using a keyboard is just too uncomfortable and I have no issue beating other players, most of which I'd assume are keybinders. The reason most keybinders have this seemingly irrational hatred for clickers is because they can't click fast enough and assume no one else can either. Not realizing that just because they suck at clicking doesn't mean everyone does. It would be like me stating keybinders are slower and less effective than clicking because of my personal limits when it comes to using a keyboard. To each his own.

The only issue arises is with sniper/gunslinger. Cover will not work if the mouse pointer is over the ability bar so if I'm pulled out of cover and sudden realize it I have to move the pointer away from the ability bar. This is with cover set to middle mouse button. I doesn't really matter though. Snipers are so OP'd it's never cost me a fight. I can engage a person having only 50% health while they have 100% and still beat them with sniper.

Edited by Dayshadow

Plenty of smart answers here, but the short of it is.

You cant turn, face your target and mouse click a button with no delay while a melee guy runs rings around you.

And its also why melee look like they can hit you from any angle.

Sniper/slinger can free cast from any position and turn heads like owls. With masterstrike/ravage melee auto turn as long as when they start the channel they are facing the right way. When any class are channeling something they will turn with their target but if it is a non channel then they have to face the right way.

Greetings--

I have a question regarding this subject. I am a PvE player, but this is something that can benefit us all. I started playing this game using a laptop, not knowing a thing about mmo's or computer games in general, being a console player. I didn't have a mouse, just the useless thumbpad. I learned to play like this: I move with my directional keys and I use abilities, not by clicking but with my regular hotbar. I have 2 hot bars with my main tanking abilities and I shift click between them and a third that has various, 2 more are active on my screen but hold stuff like speeders and ball toss, lol.

I now have a mouse, and I use it to position my camera and click things when I need to. I have never thought that my way was problematic or hindered me, although recently I have found myself wondering if I could really step up my game if I did things the way they are talked about in this thread. I am always open to ways to improve, so my questions are: Is the way I fight still considered clicking or a ba*tardized version of keybinding? Do any of you play this way? Is it worth unlearning 2 years of a play style, and would I be able to keybind properly on my laptop?

I know, get a computer. I am saving. I thank you all for any responses given.

I learnt to bind with a Nostromo/Naga combination about a year ago, having used a nostromo and normal mouse before I went full binds.

What I found is a UI setup that mimics the layout of buttons you use is a great visual indicator to help you build up the muscle memory.

This is a screenie of what my UI looked like whilst learning (ignore pvp rage chat :rak_03: )

http://i.imgur.com/FZZw1gZ.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.