Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

AlexModny

Remember when people thought this thread was going to lead to something??? Good times...

I figured it was in large part placation given the timing, but hope Alex is at least working on something for us.

Given that an expansion is releasing with not a damn thing PVP-specific gives the distinct impression that BW in general dgaf.

Edited by Joesixxpack

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go on a limb here with this post and this idea, after giving though on "new" PvP game play.

I would like the devs if possible to look at 20 vs 20 or 40 vs 40 (Not sure if this would ever be possible in WZ instances without the instance crashing), but having objectives other than defending and taking three specific points you can be zerged at could allow for more thought out strategies other than CC and burn him/her down.

How about having two bases and Imperial and Republic where you have to infiltrate it to kill or capture (preferable) the Commandant or Republic general. This includes activating a walker you would have to protect or some sort of tank to break through the gates you would have to protect, manned laser cannons and such used to repel enemies or keep them from detonating explosives lower defenses of the bases.

Make it where certain things have to be accomplished to capture the Commandant or Admiral which would give a bonus to your ranked comms or warzone comms over killing him/her. You would have to have certain classes in order to "base bust" (like in SWG) given new PvP skills given once in the instance "Like Hutt ball".

I mean making this may be a wet dream, but if it actually happened think of how PvP would be changed for all MMOs.

Something similar to this not exactly but, you get the idea.

Edited by Tonev

How about instead of just a new war zone. Make a BOUNTY system for PvP. As you kill members of the opposing faction in open world PvP different levels of bounty accrue on your character once you get high enough INFAMOUS gear becomes available from special vendors. During this time other players can take out CONTRACTS on the Infamous players up to a total of 4 people after 1 target. These players receive real time information on what zone the target is in but must find them in that zone themselves. If the INFAMOUS player kills his assailants he receives a big boost to his score. If the CONTRACTS are completed the players that complete it are awarded points in relation to the targets score to exchange for ENFORCEMENT gear.

• 1 month later...

I've posted a suggestion for a completely different type of PvP than has been implemented thus far in SWTOR (although, to be fair, I've suggested it in such a way as to allow for solo participation as well). My idea - which I've dubbed "Field Commander" - is to incorporate a sort of RTS mini-game into SWTOR. The details of the suggestion, as well as input from other players, are in the linked thread. If you're interested in something like this, please drop a note in there with any ideas you may have for implementation. I'm working on writing up a full "proposal" outline to help solidify the suggestion.

If any Devs are still checking this thread, please take a quick look at the ideas we've come up with so far. As I've stated in the linked thread, I think that adding completely different types of game modes like this (and others) to SWTOR would be a great benefit to the community as a whole. More variety in the ways that players can spend their time while logged in could really help to draw people in that might not have otherwise been interested. Warzones, GSF, Flashpoints, Operations, quests... All of these give players different ways to enjoy their time. Let's add "Field Commander" to that list. :w_big_grin:

1vs1 arena. Pops are becoming rare in RWZ so I could always use 1vs1 match.

I don't really care what new WZs come because I have no choice in picking a warzone I like. I think an option to choose WZ should precede new wz introduction.

and why would you need community ideas when the format of existing wzs are rather limited? There are so many options to expand WZ. to list a couple..

1. cooperative WZ - each team completes in a race against various obstacles(enemies, jumping, puzzle, etc) contents to contend which team finishes challenges faster.

2. kill the king WZ - a player out of 16 is chosen as a tagger and gets bolstered to *5. Dead players will become tagger's minion and fight at his side. a player who dealt the kiling blow becomes tagger. Whoever kills most player(as tagger of minion) receives the most reward at the end of wz.

3. free for all - everyone fights until one remains. rewards distributed based on place

4. instrument - two teams given a key to play music. players have to quickly step on correct boards to play the note.

5. A 4vs4 Arena called to AOE or not to AOE - takes place in a public area with lots of civilians. Your AOE does 5 times more damage but if you kill 1/1 hp civ you die. (damange to enemies still apply)

etc.

Edited by Highsis

Just copy warhammer onlines best scenarios. Hypergates is pretty much a copy of Khaines Embrace. Gates of Ekrund was the best warzone so copy that.

Khaines Embrace was much more simple. Kill points were earned regardless of objective domination, no item to travel with...

That aside, Gates of Ekrund was more or less just Alderaan Civil War in a more cramped area, with kills counting. I personally feel no hype for adding a new WZ this rule set even though I am one of those who think PvP in general should look more like Warhammer's

By the way, I'm for a similar map of High-pass Cemetery.

Edited by Altheran

Well, my idea may not be the best but I personally think it would be very interesting and intense. Basically what my thought of a new warzone could be for a 4vs4 or 8vs8. So there are 6 different floors, each floor has a staircase to the next floor that players need to collect a certain item. (Like the orbs in the hypergate map..) The certain item should be in the middle of the map to give both teams a fair advantage. But to get to the items you have to cross a bridge. Like in the map voidstar.(Who doesn't like knocking others off the edge? I mean cmon =D) Anyways, so as the players collect the items, lets say orbs to open the staircase. you have 1 total minute to grab the orbs and return them to the door, after the one minute lava, water or poison will raise the floor and you will take 10k damage every second. Players who fail to collect the orbs will die by the lava, water or poison will be spawned up on the next floor, but players who successfully collect the orbs to open the door will receive points. And so the process continues. Maybe not 6 floor buy hey, and when the players get to the top floor they must have a deathmatch to catch up on points, nothing to extreme but to possibly make players do what they do best, fight each other to have a chance to catch up. and then the winner claims victory.. Anyway this may not be the best idea but I would love something similar to the levels raising and players need to collect something to continue and get points. I think others will love the fast paced map also. We will see. Hopefully someone has a good idea because i would love a new map! KEEP UP THE WORK BIOWARE!!!! WEWT:D.

Here is a simple idea how to improve the current ones. How about adding one more bracket? The current level 10-29, level 30-59 and level 60 isnt working! Especially 30-59 bracket is broken as hell. Not only is the burst insane from level 50 plus, they also have about 10-14 k more hitpoints than the level 30's. Bolster doesnt work properly in any bracket, and certainly not in said bracket.

Level 10-29 is somewhat bareable at the start and you catch up fairly quick. Level 30-59 What on earth made you think this would work?

Then i guess you were all happy that you managed to get the new expansion out before christmas? "Good job everyone! We managed to mess up the game even more! Lets take some time off for the holidays, when people really have time to play".

Tbh i think you could atleast pretend that you thinking of pvp players?

A variation on Voidstar. Two teams on opposite sides of a map. Goal is to get to the center first. Three sets of barriers exist on both sides blocking their progress. Team members can either play defense or offense (Help drop the barriers or slow down the opposing teams progress through them.) First team to have a member reach the center and access the center node wins.

The catch is you have side tunnels that come available as each barrier drops. Team A has full access to one set of side tunnels. Team B has access to the other side. The first side tunnel is open on both sides. To gain access to the other side tunnels, each team must drop their barrier. So for example, if Team B gets past their first barrier, the barrier blocking the second side tunnel opens. They can then use the first or second side tunnel to attack from above or from behind. Same goes for team A. They have to access their first barrier in order to gain access to the second tunnel.

/ ========================================================== \

/ / \ \

/ / / ======================================== \ \ \

/ / / / \ \ \ \

/ / / / / =================== \ \ \ \ \

/ / / / / / _________ \ \ \ \ \ \

---------------/ /-------------------/ /--------------------/ /---------/ \------------\ \------------\ \--------------\ \--------

] ] ] + [ [ [

--------------\ \-------------------\ \-------------------\ \--------\ __________/------------/ /------------/ /-------------/ /---------

\ \ \ \ \ \ / / / / / /

\ \ \ \ \ ==================== / / / / /

\ \ \ \ / / / /

\ \ \ ======================================= / / /

\ \ / /

\ ========================================================== /

Edited by ForceWelder

I would like a WZ based on a jungle setting like Endor planet with Ewoks, much like in the other Star Wars game some time back. We sped in on hover bikes, and capped flags one on each side one in middle.

I was fun to run in and out hiding in logs, trees and truly utilize all your abilities instead of just spamming aoe.

Something like this!!

Edited by MarcoMontana

Personally I am open to ANY new PVP content that you give us because this is the only portion of the game I play.

But......................... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the FPS issues before you do anything. It's clearly a problem on the developers end. There are plenty of people with high end computer getting terrible FPS in WZ's. Please!!!!!!!!!!!! this is all I ask is for lag free PVP with my solid computer.

- 8 v 8 Capture the flag high up in a Tatooine canyon might be fun.

- Respawn ticket-based doubles deathmatch with four teams of two would be great.

- All throughout the game you get the message that there is a conflict going on, but when one sets out onto the planets, one can see that there isn't actually any real conflict at all. I'd like to suggest a system of planetary control separate from the PvE conquest system which I like to refer to as Special Forces Conquest. This system would consist of nodes on many different planets in the form of bases that can be captured/defended, along with a monitoring grid that provides a list of all bases and their capture status along with alerts when there is an attack and/or capture of a node. A participation-based comm reward could be the incentive along with other rewards based on your special forces service record.

P.S.

I would also like to take a minute to illustrate the completely unfair amount of attention focused on PvE, we'd like you to stop treating us like red-headed step children in the content department. We don't treat PvP like a minigame, neither should you.

No one wants to be left out of the action defending a node waiting to get ganked by a stealth. So there needs to be more random objectives to capture that stay captured or count towards an overall objective without the need for someone to babysit a node. I understand that defense is inherently part of a war scenario, but it can be more fluid over more varied terrain. Think Arathi Basin in WoW.

Or perhaps its a matter of who can demolish whose base (or bases and resource camps) first. Once something is demolished, it stays demolished. No one has to guard it. So each team has a base with walls, force fields, and maybe outlying resource camps etc. (some sort of layer of barriers) and the team that reaches the inner sanctum or does the most dmg to the most resources and base wins. That way a team can allot their resources to defense and offense as the battle progresses. Alteric Valley is this type of instance.

I am also in favor of more random events in warzones that players have to be aware of and respond to. Perhaps areas that become dangerous because of a scheduled (game generated) bombardment from space. This technique is used in PvE all the time and would be fun in PvP warzones also.

I am not calling for importing WoW warzones. I would be disappointed if they weren't improved upon. (Hutt Ball is an interesting variation on Carry the Flag) I am just using them as concrete examples to illustrate my suggestions.

Also have a warzone(s) with more players per team.

Implementing some sort of matchmaking would help also, along with cross server queuing.

Edited by MotorCityMan

Here's some idea's.... Fix the issues you have before rolling out more content, it worked for EVE..

Also make versions of the Warzones in Warhammer online.... They were far more diverse and allowed more players to join rather than 8 a side max. Unfortunately they couldn't balance classes and there was nothing to keep the PVEr interested so it died.

On that note as your engine can only handle 8 a side wz's, tell your devs to rebuild your engine to handle more and to stop being so lazy.. Lazy coders = mistakes = exploits = exploiters = ruined game. Just like your current bolster exploit where plays can get addition stats in wz's by equipping ship parts to none GSF ship.

This is constructive criticism :).

Khaines Embrace was much more simple. Kill points were earned regardless of objective domination, no item to travel with...

That aside, Gates of Ekrund was more or less just Alderaan Civil War in a more cramped area, with kills counting. I personally feel no hype for adding a new WZ this rule set even though I am one of those who think PvP in general should look more like Warhammer's

By the way, I'm for a similar map of High-pass Cemetery.

The big difference with GoE was you could stand on the ledges above mid and still fight while watching the rams up to the side flags. None of this sitting at east or west for 10 minutes while everyone else actually gets to play.

They also removed kills counting at some point as it was causing too much spawn farming.

Edited by Tellenn

I appreciate you asking Alex...

My favorite map, going all the way back to beta, has always been Voidstar, I love the progression type map combined with the attack/defend mechanic. Since that's my favorite, here are my suggestions:

• Fleet type setting (invade)

• Attack/Defend mechanic

• Less "guarding" would benefit ANY design - nobody joins a PvP queue hoping they get to guard

• Single click objectives that don't require "guarding" afterwards

• Less spread out objectives that encourage teamwork (again, similar to VS)

• Huttball type "traps" in WZ's that aren't Huttball (player activated?)

PLEASE give us more than a map a year Alex...the current rate of development is outrageously slow. Re-skin if necessary...we need variety, not an intricate story to accompany the WZ...just new maps.

Maybe a flag game kind of version would work with these mechanics?