Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

AlexModny

Don't care if it's a necro, here's my idea:

Republic/Imperial Fleet invasion.

Admiral (Champ) spawns in one of a few random locations. Round ends when he dies. Fastest admiral kill wins. Voidstar style doors separating outer ring from inner ring, access to inter fleet transport, and a 3rd and even 4th set depending on what ship and in what area the Admiral is hiding.

I think it's better if neither team knows where the admiral is.

Edited by Eggsalicious

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I will say that this is my opinion and my opinion only and some of you may dissagree.

The purpose imo of introducing a new warzone is to refresh the interest and desire of the players to pvp and in general to play the game. But the big goal is to make them want to keep playing even after they tested the new warzone for a few times. So I ask, what good will a new warzone do in a pvp system that has some serious issues. Two major issues in my opinion.

First the balance problem, the pubs-imps ratio. I will not try to examine how it got to this, even if I have some theories, but it is clear to me that at the moment not only imperial characters are monopolizing the queues but they are also dominating. The gap in gear and experience is too big to be closed naturally by itself.

The second problem that I believe the pvp system of this game has is that even though it has some very promising landscapes for open world pvp, they are most of the time empty. No need to further explain this issue just visit outlaw's den or illum.

And now since I've stated the issues here comes the suggestions. For the balance thing. A coalition theme was introduced in the story with the new expansion. How about adding this idea to the warzones too? Mixed warzone teams with both pubs and imps. That way in my opinion the balance issue will be solved and the gear and experience gap will gradually be closed. Since there are training senarios for imp vs imp and pub vs pub warzones why not add a coalition senario too?

Regarding the open world pvp issue now, I would propose refreshing the interest of the palyers by organizing frequent pvp events in different landmark locations with rewards. There is nothing more tempting than an open world deathmatch near the sarlacc pitt on tatooine or a guild pvp competition near the spaceship graveyard on Hoth. Last one standing or the winner guild gets a special reward. A title for example or commendations. And when I say frequently I mean frequently. Weekly if possible. Also you could attract more players by anouncing these mini events on the site, forums, social media and the fleet.

I know that my suggestions may have some technical issues or may even be impossible but as I said before this is my opinion and my opinion only.

#2 since have the lemmings think its "deathmatch" anyway, give us a deathmatch style map.. no objectives, just blow the other side up. Kinda like GSF style scoring for WZs

The should just rework AHG:

*Please note all numbers for points will be arbitrary. They are just used to demonstrate what I think should be worth more points than another activity*

- Nodes are non-cappable you have your node and no one need to guard it.

- You get 1 point for player kills, 5 points for an orb carrier and 10 points for bringing an orb back to your node.

- Bonus: One cappable node in mid. Once capped it gives double points for player kills for 15 seconds. After that the node becomes neutral again and goes on CD for 50-60 seconds (long enough so that if you wipe the enemy team they can get back to mid from behind a full door and have time to stop you form capping it again.)

- First to 600 points wins. The rounds could still work the same way (increasing bonus, explosion etc.)

That's how AHG should have been from the beginning.

Edited by Capt_Beers

*Please note all numbers for points will be arbitrary. They are just used to demonstrate what I think should be worth more points than another activity*

- You get 1 point for player kills, 5 points for an orb carrier and 10 points for bringing an orb back to your node.

- Bonus: One cappable node in mid. Once capped it gives double points for player kills for 15 seconds. After that the node becomes neutral again and goes on CD for 50-60 seconds (long enough so that if you wipe the enemy team they can get back to mid from behind a full door and have time to stop you form capping it again.)

- First to 600 points wins. The rounds could still work the same way (increasing bonus, explosion etc.)

Damn Capt...that actually sounds like a helluva lotta fun. An objective based WZ where guarding isn't key to wining. I swear that's half the reason Huttball is so popular.

Running 4 Orbs would leave you short handed at mid, allowing an easy cap by the other team...great suggestion!

I like this idea but I feel like it would lead to easy blowouts if one team is superior at holding down mid. The other team would be unable to make comebacks or stop them because the opponent is just running back to their home base with the orbs.

I propose running with orbs to the opponent's nodes for scoring. At least this way, if a team can't take over mid, they can at least defend their own node and try to stop them from scoring all the time. It also makes it more challenging because teams don't just walk unimpeded with orbs, making the whole point of killing them pointless since they're at the opposite side of where you spawn. And even more so, the losing team has the potential of making a comeback because killing orb carriers will give them a lot of points.

I like this idea but I feel like it would lead to easy blowouts if one team is superior at holding down mid. The other team would be unable to make comebacks or stop them because the opponent is just running back to their home base with the orbs.

I propose running with orbs to the opponent's nodes for scoring. At least this way, if a team can't take over mid, they can at least defend their own node and try to stop them from scoring all the time. It also makes it more challenging because teams don't just walk unimpeded with orbs, making the whole point of killing them pointless since they're at the opposite side of where you spawn. And even more so, the losing team has the potential of making a comeback because killing orb carriers will give them a lot of points.

So you're saying if one team is much better than the other team it will be easy for them to win? Sounds like that's how WZ's work no matter what. If your team is doing better than the other in every area, offense, surviving and objective control, you should blow them out.

This may sound crazy, but I'd like to see an Alderaan Civil War-style Warzone on Hoth.

Hopefully, the map would be a bit larger than the Novare Coast one, and each of the nodes could possibly be obscured by a snow storm - where you couldn't see in or out of it. So, surprise attacks and having good timing with inc calls would be important, one guy guarding wouldn't be very bored, and leaving one person guarding your node probably wouldn't even be a good idea due to the fact that the entire team could show up without a warning!

Either that, or a warzone taking place in the starship graveyard, still in the capture-the-turret style, but maybe with some cool vertical elements as well.

Very good addition. Also, maybe spread out the orb nodes more? 2 in mid, 2 outside of mid? That makes controlling mid less of a total blow out. Maybe put one a short distance from each pylon? It's easy to get your base's orb, but running it to the opposing pylon gets tough. Which also makes "stealing" the opposing pylon useful because it can lead to a quick orb capture.

But this also leaves strategies like a stealth guy goes to his own pylon, takes the orb, but doesn't want to risk giving up the 5 points for an orb carrier kill...so he stealths out, nullifying that orb until orbs respawn.

As for the middle multiplier pylon, put it on top of that cube in the center, and make sure its toggle-able range is small enough that you MUST get up on that cube to cap it. This way, the cube still serves as an LoS object, and capping the middle multiplier requires you to give up that cover.

So you're saying if one team is much better than the other team it will be easy for them to win? Sounds like that's how WZ's work no matter what. If your team is doing better than the other in every area, offense, surviving and objective control, you should blow them out.

But it needs to be fun for everyone, not just for the better team. If the other team feels they have no chance, they leave or stop playing. I saw a dev post near the beginning of the thread and one of the questions they asked was how the losing team could make a comeback. It needs to be balanced all around, not just favor the better team

Edit:

Also, I forgot to add that it's not always just a matter of skill level. Sometimes a team gets a healer and the other doesn't. That already gives one team a massive advantage if all they need to do is stay in one specific area, makes healing a lot easier. So have to take this into account so the match is not lopsided before it has even started

Very good addition. Also, maybe spread out the orb nodes more? 2 in mid, 2 outside of mid? That makes controlling mid less of a total blow out. Maybe put one a short distance from each pylon? It's easy to get your base's orb, but running it to the opposing pylon gets tough. Which also makes "stealing" the opposing pylon useful because it can lead to a quick orb capture.

But this also leaves strategies like a stealth guy goes to his own pylon, takes the orb, but doesn't want to risk giving up the 5 points for an orb carrier kill...so he stealths out, nullifying that orb until orbs respawn.

As for the middle multiplier pylon, put it on top of that cube in the center, and make sure its toggle-able range is small enough that you MUST get up on that cube to cap it. This way, the cube still serves as an LoS object, and capping the middle multiplier requires you to give up that cover.

These are good additions too because if it gets too tough to run to the opposite pylon, people won't want to give the enemy team free points for killing orb carriers.

Edited by zZeroAgent

But it needs to be fun for everyone, not just for the better team. If the other team feels they have no chance, they leave or stop playing. I saw a dev post near the beginning of the thread and one of the questions they asked was how the losing team could make a comeback. It needs to be balanced all around, not just favor the better team

Edit:

Also, I forgot to add that it's not always just a matter of skill level. Sometimes a team gets a healer and the other doesn't. That already gives one team a massive advantage if all they need to do is stay in one specific area, makes healing a lot easier. So have to take this into account so the match is not lopsided before it has even started

These are good additions too because if it gets too tough to run to the opposite pylon, people won't want to give the enemy team free points for killing orb carriers.

WZ mechanics shouldn't be nerfed to make room for bads. That's match making's job, since there is no match making no WZ can ever be completely fair. One team will be better and they will win. Sometimes one team will be much better and they will dominate, this will happen no matter what the mechanics are. If it's a little bit easier for bads it will be a lot easier for the top players.

WZ mechanics shouldn't be nerfed to make room for bads. That's match making's job, since there is no match making no WZ can ever be completely fair. One team will be better and they will win. Sometimes one team will be much better and they will dominate, this will happen no matter what the mechanics are. If it's a little bit easier for bads it will be a lot easier for the top players.

I understand your point, but in an objective game mode, you can't determine the winner simply by being the better team at killing others in one place. The gameplay needs to focus around the objective. I'm not knocking on your suggestion, I like it, but my point is that just killing people will end up being the focus rather than the orbs and the nodes because if you can't even get into mid, you have no chance of winning.

I would think that developers at least expect playing the objective to be the emphasis. Which is why I say that simply by switching where you score, and defending your node (playing the objective), should also reward you.

Edited by zZeroAgent

I understand your point, but in an objective game mode, you can't determine the winner simply by being the better team at killing others in one place. The gameplay needs to focus around the objective. I'm not knocking on your suggestion, I like it, but my point is that just killing people will end up being the focus rather than the orbs and the nodes because if you can't even get into mid, you have no chance of winning.

I would think that developers at least expect playing the objective to be the emphasis. Which is why I say that simply by switching where you score, and defending your node (playing the objective), should also reward you.

It's PvP, killing people is the objective.

If you have to bring orbs to the enemies node that means they need a guard. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Guarding is boring and it ruins the WZ for the poor sap that has to stand there the whole time.

Whatever mechanic you add to make comebacks possible will also be exploited by the winning team so they can win faster. It happens in every WZ we have now. If one team is vastly superior they don't let the other team get an inch. The only reason completely dominating teams let the other team keep a node at present is so they can farm damage.

#1 fix the balance, the rest is moot till you do.

#2 since have the lemmings think its "deathmatch" anyway, give us a deathmatch style map.. no objectives, just blow the other side up. Kinda like GSF style scoring for WZs

On the point of #2.

Huttball (original) style of map, lots of ramps, lots of fire traps, lots of air holes in the ground, also a couple of huttballs randomly spawning on players and you get extra points for killing them.

Job done.

I also support #1.

Edit: you could also "flavour" the maps with different background scenery from different planets like;

- Hoth (Ice traps instead of fire)

- Tatooine (Sarlacc pits instead of air holes, and you pop up from another one somewhere else on the map)

- Manaan (Water traps instead of acid traps)

- Taris (instead of random huttballs, players turn into a rakghoul and you get points for killing them)

The list of variations goes on and on... but Deathmatch is a great idea for pugs (you know why :p)

Edited by Transcendent

It's PvP, killing people is the objective.

If you have to bring orbs to the enemies node that means they need a guard. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Guarding is boring and it ruins the WZ for the poor sap that has to stand there the whole time.

Whatever mechanic you add to make comebacks possible will also be exploited by the winning team so they can win faster. It happens in every WZ we have now. If one team is vastly superior they don't let the other team get an inch. The only reason completely dominating teams let the other team keep a node at present is so they can farm damage.

lol because running back with orbs is so much more fun, right? That's why no one does it. At least this way, you get to run with orbs into enemy nodes and get to kill in the process. Maybe you can get more points if you kill while holding them, while similarly giving them more points by dying while holding them.

If devs wanted an 8v8 arena they would make an 8v8 arena. You're just knocking on suggestions that could make an objective game fun because you think killing is all there is to it.

lol because running back with orbs is so much more fun, right? That's why no one does it. At least this way, you get to run with orbs into enemy nodes and get to kill in the process. Maybe you can get more points if you kill while holding them, while similarly giving them more points by dying while holding them.

If devs wanted an 8v8 arena they would make an 8v8 arena. You're just knocking on suggestions that could make an objective game fun because you think killing is all there is to it.

No one runs orbs in AHG because it's a very inefficient way to score points. In the time it takes to channel picking them up plus the walk to your node and get back to mid you could have wiped their team instead leaving yours short at mid. There have been yellow posts here stating that the orbs are not the main method of scoring in AHG. In my revised version they would be the same thing, a way to make up some points if you are behind or to end the game a little faster if you are way ahead. In either version, mine or the live version, the only time it's worth it to get orbs is if you wipe the enemy team and have the time to do it uncontested otherwise the time you waste channeling (and possibly being interrupted) and leaving your team short at mid is better spent killing the other team.

You are just having a difficult time envisioning what will actually happen. Any mechanic that is added to that doesn't involve combat to "give teams a chance to come back" can just as easily be exploited by the winning team. If you are getting wiped in mid to give up the orbs what makes you think you won't get wiped at your pylon? The better team will win, that's just how competitive games work.

I would personally love a game like this-

Both factions would have a warship. The warship would have 3 parts. The hangar where players could board their opponents ship, the reactor core that you must defend and the command deck where you take special actions.

Boarding- you board the enemy ship from the hangar. On the enemy ship you must fight past your foes to get to the reactor core. You acces a terminal for 8 seconds. This initiates a self destruct sequence. Players must board the outher ship for bonus points

Deck- on the command deck you can preform special actions. The controls can only be accessed by members of the same faction as the ship. These actions are-

Lock down. Places blast doors all across the ship that must take sevral hits to get past. This also prevents travel to your opponents ship and your opponent cannot board you either. Atleast 1 enemy must be aboard your ship in order to engage this.

Self destruct. There must be atleast 4 enemys on board your ship for this and all members must agree (or the majority) It engages a self destruct sequence killing everyone aboard your ship if they do not ivacuate within 2 minuites. This also will destroy the ship killing your team members till the end of the battle.

Shields. This blocks your enemy from boarding for 1.5 minuites. You can still board them. This ability has a 3 minuite cooldown

Players- players can respawn on their ship if they die but if their ship has been destroyed they must wait until the end of the game. 16 players play each round

Victory- the game is won when the enemy has been completely eradicated! The time limit is 25 minutes. In the event of a draw the team who has killed the most enemys.

I relise this is quite a bit to ask but the command deck is just a potential extra. If this can be created I am sure many players would greatly enjoy it.

Yours sencirely- ejbsuperbat

Edited by ejbsuperbat
Extension

No one runs orbs in AHG because it's a very inefficient way to score points. In the time it takes to channel picking them up plus the walk to your node and get back to mid you could have wiped their team instead leaving yours short at mid. There have been yellow posts here stating that the orbs are not the main method of scoring in AHG. In my revised version they would be the same thing, a way to make up some points if you are behind or to end the game a little faster if you are way ahead. In either version, mine or the live version, the only time it's worth it to get orbs is if you wipe the enemy team and have the time to do it uncontested otherwise the time you waste channeling (and possibly being interrupted) and leaving your team short at mid is better spent killing the other team.

You are just having a difficult time envisioning what will actually happen. Any mechanic that is added to that doesn't involve combat to "give teams a chance to come back" can just as easily be exploited by the winning team. If you are getting wiped in mid to give up the orbs what makes you think you won't get wiped at your pylon? The better team will win, that's just how competitive games work.

Exactly. I see the orbs as a check against turtling away from the center. In ranked 8s, if the other team let us push them too far back towards the cliff, we would cc them back there and grab orbs, then run back as a team to cap them. Otherwise they wouldn't come into play.

If you have to bring orbs to the enemies node that means they need a guard.

You don't leave a guard back in Huttball, right? Stopping someone from running is very hard without a concerted effort. Guards would be a total waste of a player.

But foraying out into a team all by your lonesome isn't good either. So why would people grab orbs?

As has been suggested, maybe you get double points for killing while you have an orb.That way, you actually want to collect orbs. And maybe, you don't score 10 points for dunking the orb, but 10 points plus an additional 10 points per killing blow you have while carrying an orb.

The biggest problem with AH right now (IMO) is that it concentrates too much of the action into one small space. It makes overcoming a team inbalance (like one team getting healers while the other didn't) much harder to overcome because you can't really string a team out. At least with this idea of having to run orbs into enemy territory, it helps get players out of an entrenched position.

So playing off some of the discussions, here's another idea for AH

NEW ANCIENT HYPERSPACE GATE

What changes:

• When the 2 minute timer reaches zero, an explosion starts from the center of the map, and goes outward, rather than from the outside coming in.
  • The middle is no longer a safe zone.
  • The pylons are no longer a node to be captured, but instead are the safe zones from the blast.
  • Each team has its own pylon, and is safe from the blast only in its own pylon.
  • Any and all deaths due to the explosion count as kills for the other team (though no one counts as making the killing blow).
  • The 4 orb nodes still exist, and you still gather orbs, but the gather time is down to 3 seconds.
  • You no longer turn orbs in at all. It's a buff that earns bonus points.
  • The orbs "buff" no longer has a duration. You have orbs on you until you die or until you place them back on the node.
  • You can place orbs back on the node with a 3 second channel. This is used to pass the orbs to another teammate (or bait in enemies).
  • Stealth no longer purges orbs. However, the orbs' location on the minimap is still visible to all players.
  • When you have orbs, you earn your team bonus points if you get a killing blow. The bonus points are a multiplier to the normal kill points, which equals 1 + the number of killing blows you've made with this orb possession.
  • A team earns bonus points for killing an orb carrier. The bonus points are a multiplier to the normal kill points, which equals 1 + the number of killing blows the orb carrier made with that possession.
  • Whoever made the killing blow on the orb carrier gets the orb.
  • If an orb carrier dies, but no one is considered to have made the killing blow, his orb returns to its node.
  • Base points for a kill and points needed to win are TBD by expected/desired length of match.
  • To ensure Tanks/Healers don't drag a game to infinity, each round increases the base points for a kill by an amount TBD to help achieve the expected/desired length of match.
  • Also, to ensure an expected/desired match length, the size of the pylon's protective zone shrinks each round.

This would be a "just killing" game, with pseudo objectives (as they give you more points for killing, but don't contribute towards victory without killing). It's also open, I think, to a few strategies, like turtling in your zone, sending suicide knockbackers to their zone as the explosion rolls out, working to make sure the right player gets the orbs, etc. Tanks and healers have obvious roles, while sustained vs burst damage specs will behave slightly differently. You'd definitely want your burst specs to get the orbs and play conservatively until they could burst someone dead, thereby having the best chance of earning the killing blow.

A mode where all the objectives are gone, and you battle for a set amount of time, so it would be a mass battle field on some of the existing maps, just no objectives.

Next would be a free for all type of thing, in like a prision with door and long hall ways with lots of different places to hide out in.

They can get killed at their own pylons, but then this frees up mid for the other team. It adds more layers of complexity to the game mode (defend pylon, stealthing into mid, killing orb carriers) rather than just kill everything that gets close to an orb.

Plus some people don't actually mind defending objectives if it gets them points. I've seen the same guy in an entire match capture the pylon and stay there. Just like I've seen people that get thrown into an arena and leave immediately (they like objectives). The fact that you think this is solely about "bads making a comeback" means you're not really putting much thought into what I'm saying. That's just one of the reasons how it would help, not the sole driving factor. Considering there is no pylon to lose, if no one wants to defend then no one has to. I suggested a way that gives them the option, rather than removing it altogether.

Basically, the more ways to keep people moving around and keeping the match dynamic and everchanging the more fun it is. Turtling in one place for 5 minutes isn't that fun.

Edited by zZeroAgent