The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Frequently Asked PvP Questions

EricMusco

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps his point is that at leas they came out and said it rather than just leaving everyone in a vacuum. You're definitely correct in that the OP provided no information other than "no" to every single thing PvPers have been asking for. But at least they came out and said it rather than just saying nothing. The OP makes it pretty clear that PvP will always remain a minor side game or diversion and never be fully fleshed-out or made into a centerpiece of SWTOR.

While I 100% understand that PvPers would waaaaay rather have heard a "yes" to--well, anything at all rather than uniform "no" to everything--at least they did make it clear that there are really no plans to make substantive changes to PvP. That is useful information for folks that love PvP--it's information that says "this isn't the game for you". As paying customers PvPers have every right to be very disappointed with that result. But competition in video games is fierce. No game can really be all things to everyone. There are definitely games out there or games coming soon that have a strong PvP focus. If you love PvP and want to do lots of PvP then a firm answer--even if it is a no--tells PvPers that their time is best spent in a game that is actually developed along their preferred style of play. Honestly, that is better than just saying nothing or misleading and saying "well we're looking at it but no ETA."

They gave direct answers to PvPers questions so PvPers could decide where they wanted to spend their money. And clearly many have decided to spend their money elsewhere and are cancelling SWTOR subs, as I would if I loved PvP. But at least they came right out and said it so people could make informed decisions.

Oh I agree 100%. I think it took a lot of courage (in the modern context) for Eric to post those replies. I'd MUCH prefer to know they have NO PLANS for anything than to be kept in the dark.

Perhaps his point is that at leas they came out and said it rather than just leaving everyone in a vacuum. You're definitely correct in that the OP provided no information other than "no" to every single thing PvPers have been asking for. But at least they came out and said it rather than just saying nothing. The OP makes it pretty clear that PvP will always remain a minor side game or diversion and never be fully fleshed-out or made into a centerpiece of SWTOR.

Did you notice that they're doing the same thing to warzones as they did to space missions prior to GSF? People assume it means they don't care about PvP itself, but maybe they just don't care as much about warzones because they're going to make a new PvP system in the game to rival the PvE portion? The fact of the matter is that they're treating the PvP queue like a side-game because it is a side-game. The difference is that they're making something bigger. I think you might be interested in this:

Something is in the works for World PvP that’s "really cool" related to rewards on a global scale.

[source]

Edited by idnewton

Did you notice that they're doing the same thing to warzones as they did to space missions prior to GSF? People assume it means they don't care about PvP itself, but maybe they just don't care as much about warzones because they're going to make a new PvP system in the game to rival the PvE portion? The fact of the matter is that they're treating the PvP queue like a side-game because it is a side-game. The difference is that they're making something bigger. I think you might be interested in this:

[source]

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Very disappointing, cancelled my sub. Things are dire enough as it is on the PVP side of things, and Bioware's complete disregard for PVP'ers is enough to tell me that it will never get any better. Even though waving and attacking with a shiney stick is fun, there're better MMOs out/coming out that show PVP'ers at least some love.

[source]

Certainly that's possible. But if that is the case it seems a very odd choice of process. Anyone with any sense would think that the OP would cause many, many PvPers to cancel their subs. So I could see making that post then within a day or so making an announcement about some sort of big new PvP thing. Kinda like saying "Well, we said no to all those things you wanted BUT check out this big new PvP thing!"

But the op was made a week ago and no such announcement has been made. If it is a marketing strategy it strikes me as a very poorly planned one. You don't chase off a large portion of your PvP playerbase then try to entice them back weeks later, that's just silly. Many players, once they settle into a new MMO, are not very likely to go back to their old one.

No. In fact, it seems like the majority of the PvP community wants something to complain about.

The majority of the PVP community doesn't post here.

It appears to me that many of those that do (inc. me) have seen enough "can't tell you more it's exciting shuper awesome soon" and have a will believe it when they see it mentality. And why not? Cross-server queues coming was announced in public venues, announced on this forum, and never came to be. Ranked season was announced and long delay ensued. Surprise, ranked 8 v 8 was pulled.

I'm not harping on the past, just pointing out that another vague "zomgsoonexciting" gold post is an utter nonevent.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I would not give up hope Entirely, and threat that Q&A on the future of PvP with care, for the following reasons.

1. Whatever BW does to SWTOR, it knows that people will try new games.

2. If you look into patch 2.8 BW is bringing Content which the developers always said No, or Wall of Crazy stuff etc etc. In the meantime this is coming.

Sure if y r bored of SWTOR take a break have a Kit-Kat and go and try something else, or just enjoy life, Summer is on the way by the way. I for one will gear a couple of characters with 2.7, test the new Sage buff and after this (about a month) will take a break from it again.

When they will put stuff that I want like X-server, 8 man Rated, and a big punisher to people leaving solo-Que Rated I will return to the game and sub again. That's all folks.

No. In fact, it seems like the majority of the PvP community wants something to complain about.

You're clearly not a PvPer because if you were you would be fairly upset about this FAQ or any other of the numerous things which have had a negative impact on the PvP community.

[source]

Because they have a wonderful track record so far. I'll believe it when I see it.

[source]

I'm not a so-called "hardcore pvp'er" but even I can see that the majority of answers to the FAQ are a bunch of negatives: No, not right now, no plans, etc.

Fine, those are the most up to date answers to the FAQ. However, let's ask a more open ended positive question:

"What is the overall development vision for pvp?"

And more specifically,

"Is pvp'ing in the old republic universe between two galactic superpowers at war meant to be an integral part of your character's story, or is it just a side game, that will have features added and balance adjusted occasionally, but never be a highlight of the game's features, never to be a highlight of the game's experience?"

If it is meant to be an integral part of your character's story, then how do the developers plan to accomplish that, given the limitations they've self-imposed in their answers to the FAQ?

Edited by phalczen

Single most discouraging PvP FAQ I think I have ever read.

I'm certainly not a hardcore PvP'er, but I "do" PvP every day that I play, so the term is subjective.

Too many negative answers to basic PvP questions and community desires.

Lastly, the idea that someone on Jung-Ma (for example), an expressly RP-PVP server who acquired a decent rating will end up with no reward because of too many matches against the same people, which could be looked at as "matchfixing" is near intolerable when seen from the perspective of the fact that you can play ten ranked matches in a row and be automatically matched with the same team, since there is NO other team queued.

I'm a PvE'er, but I enjoy some PvP, and chose to be on a PvP server, so where's the PvP?

I'm not a so-called "hardcore pvp'er" but even I can see that the majority of answers to the FAQ are a bunch of negatives: No, not right now, no plans, etc.

You know why you think that? Because they are.

I'm not debating that, it's truth plain and simple. But what I'm saying is that maybe ground PvP is being developed and expanded in a different way than warzones. Either way, they made a bad choice at this post pretty much sums it up:

Certainly that's possible. But if that is the case it seems a very odd choice of process. Anyone with any sense would think that the OP would cause many, many PvPers to cancel their subs. So I could see making that post then within a day or so making an announcement about some sort of big new PvP thing. Kinda like saying "Well, we said no to all those things you wanted BUT check out this big new PvP thing!"

But the op was made a week ago and no such announcement has been made. If it is a marketing strategy it strikes me as a very poorly planned one. You don't chase off a large portion of your PvP playerbase then try to entice them back weeks later, that's just silly. Many players, once they settle into a new MMO, are not very likely to go back to their old one.

TL;DR - The consequences of the FAQ were poor, no matter what is in the works.

Because they have a wonderful track record so far. I'll believe it when I see it.

As for their track record, it depends on what you are referring to. If you're referring to PvP, it's pretty easy to say 'yes', but you do have to realize that GSF was under construction since... launch? Still, you have a point, and its still pretty sad that they never threw us much of a bone.

In terms of new warzones we have gotten, including 2.7, three new ones since launch, over two years ago. To be precise, we've gotten 3 new wz in roughly 27 months. That's about one warzone every 9 months. In other words, borderline absurd.

On the other hand, they do have quite the track record for secret projects and following through on long-term goals. For example, Tython and Korriban flashpoint information was leaked at least a year ago, if not more. We finally see that coming into the game. The SSSP has been known since launch (or thereabouts) and did come into the game eventually. The 'SSHP' (which IMO is more of a joke on the playerbase, since it was so 'super secret' that no one even knew about it) must have been in development for quite some time.

TL;DR - Track record for PvP: Bad. Track record for secret projects: Good.

In any case, it's not that hard to make new warzones. Game Updates come around every 8-9 weeks, and almost always appear on PTS. BW/EA (probably EA since it has to do with money LOL) should be investing some of the giant CM profit into a dedicated WZ dev team, to bring a new warzone every Game Update. It's not that difficult, honestly. The trick is to find the right people and make sure they know what they're doing, but it's very possible. The devs demonstrated with 2.7 the ability to (after some hassle...) force the PvP queue to choose a specific warzone. That's a very easy way to test the new PvP content. Every Game Update on PTS, just force the queue to test the newest area.

Now, is that going to 'fix' this game's PvP? No. However, it's a step in the right direction and if BW is planning some kind of new PvP game mode, this should fill the gap. If nothing more, their 'metrics' should clearly show them how many players participate in regular and ranked PvP. Even if they consider it to be a side-game, and even if they have something better in the works, I'd say some people are still going to enjoy the current PvP style even if they do add something new. In other words, adding new warzones is not a waste of time simply because a new system in the works might be better. Even if it is better, part of the playerbase is still going to come back to the current system and enjoy it.

TL;DR - BW should invest in the current PvP system, even if they think some secret project will give players a better one.

Edited by idnewton

That's two posts I've seen you float a 'what if they're actually making PvP really cool in secret!' wish and then proceed to convince yourself that's what they're doing so everyone needs to just stop whining and wait for it to happen. :rolleyes:

They have until early summer (i.e., when the next generation of MMOs releases) to convince a good chunk of people that something positive is happening for PvP. Posting a 'nope, no plans' thread just before your competitors release would be a great way of ensuring people just go ahead and preorder something else - which is why many feel they're just setting expectations straight now so that the discontented can just leave.

The smart money is on BW finally deciding they can't do everything, so they'll concentrate on the FTP casual crowd who can play cartel-market housey between bite-sized chunks of casual content.

Edited by Jherad

That's two posts I've seen you float a 'what if they're actually making PvP really cool in secret!' wish and then proceed to convince yourself that's what they're doing so everyone needs to just stop whining and wait for it to happen. :rolleyes:

The consequences of the FAQ were poor, no matter what is in the works.
BW should invest in the current PvP system

Yup. Uh huh. Totally.

Remember, in order to troll, you have to act like you care and then start spewing the blatant lies. If you come into the thread and just start throwing around garbage, it's not going to work.

If you think I forgot your narrow-minded cluelessness in the last thread I had the misfortune of sharing with you, you would be mistaken. Ignored, so not worth my time.

Remember, in order to troll, you have to act like you care and then start spewing the blatant lies. If you come into the thread and just start throwing around garbage, it's not going to work..

Absolutely. Please stop.

Yes, BW should invest in the PvP system. No, they aren't.

Edit: Just realised who it is I'm replying to. LOL.

Edited by Jherad

They said they will add some world pvp thingy. Also they said that they belive Gree event was a success.

Compared to the outcry of the PvE players against Ganking, this sounds horrible to me.

Because in its essence, the Gree Event was nothing but an huge Ganking-fest. At least on my server.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

If EAware addressed the petition I drafted with EBM back in September this thread would have never been posted and most if not all of these problems would have ceased to exist.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you personally met with the devs and showed them how to fix every little thing and gave them the money to do so.

That's like saying "If I had posted these FAQ questions before they did, and they responded positively to them, they wouldn't have needed to respond negatively to them here."

Dumb comment is dumb.