Petition to keep the Rancor exclusive to PVP.

Arkillon

Read Musco's posts. They're there on the dev tracker. The top tier reward - the rancor mount - goes to the group that is top 5%. They may not have used the word, "elite" but if that's your argument it's down to semantics so further discussion seems pointless.

You're the one who said myself and bioware had different definitions of elite and that the top 5% was elite not me.

My original argument stands though in that this was the first real incentive that Bioware gave PvPers to do ranked and they're essentially taking it away by making it available for everyone at one point or another, re-skinned or not (personally I don't see the difference between different color schemes). I'm now awaiting re-skinned versions of the mounts currently available for NiM drops for PvPers.

Edited by cycao

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with your suggestion, the problem that makes it untenable, is that BioWare seems to believe a lot of people will spend real money to get a Rancor mount.

They may not hold the same belief for the other three. It seems apparent that they don't hold that belief simply because there aren't reskins of them on the cartel market yet.

By demanding the Rancor mount (as opposed to just the PvP reward skin) be totally exclusive, you're fighting a losing battle, and it's not the carebears you're fighting against. You're fighting BioWare / EA management desire / mandate to generate revenue. You can't win that battle.

Thank you for explaining Capt. Obvious.

The thing is this is the very first thing that would have been made "exclusive" to the PvPers in this game, something to call their own. Now it's going to just keep getting re-skinned and distributed throughout the game. Keep in mind this is also the very first time players were actually given an incentive to do ranked outside of having their name on a leader board.

With the way bioware announced that there would be re-skinned versions of this mount they should go ahead and make all the NiM or other PvE mounts which require PvE to be available to PvPers.

First let me say, I am impartial to this argument. It's cool that PVP'rs get something cool.

However, I think a lot of peoples issue is that it's a Rancor. It's not about the exclusivity. I've seen a lot of people the past couple years request that this mount be put in the game. This will now be one of the most iconic Star Wars pieces in the game, with the exception of Treek, Tauntaun mounts, and lightsabers.

PVP'rs, whether any of us like it or not, have a pretty valid argument vs the PVE mounts and how exclusive to PVE they are. The thing is though, they are not really identifiable as being from the Star Wars canon, even though they are extremely cool.

If this hadn't been a Rancor I don't think all these people would be getting as upset. PVP'rs keep saying they have never got an exclusive mount, which isn't totally true. Did you guys just forget about the Korrealis Sovereign? Or does it not count because it is no longer available, not leader-board related, and has been re-skinned (although, still pretty rare and expensive)? I realize this is just one versus the few that PVE'rs get, but I was just curious.

Just throwing this in here...

Everyone does understand that this is a video game right?

And that this is just a mount in a video game?

....And that this is the most ridiculous reason to take sides and divide the game's community?

Logic is not welcome here. ;)

Edited by Onrush

If it's clear the battle is unwinnable, why are you (the plural version of you) still fighting it? Change the battle to something you can win.

I'm voicing my opinion on this for bioware to read or ignore. I'm not particularly interested in your take on my methods or pedantic posts. On that note, why am I even responding to you?

Edited by Joesixxpack

What do PvPers have so far that is really neat and especially exclusive to pvp?

Lol, I don't know... Huttball? P-V-P?

I'm no hardcore MMO-player, but if PvP in itself isn't good enough for you and you feel a need exclusive rewards for your 'hard work' (because playing videogames is so hard) then maybe you need rethink why you play videogames.

Get back to Earth people.

/twopennies.

Edited by Beniboybling

What're you basing that on? I see exclusive things not yet on the market, with no indications of if/when they will be.

The exact phrase "we cant afford to write code to then burn it" was used in reference to one time events like the original rakhg plague a few months back.

I think it obviously applies here. Took us a year to start getting creature mounts and we got what three so far. Evidently animating a skeleton is not a small feat for them. Expecting that they'd do it and then utilize in such a limited fashion would be cool but it was always a pipe dream. Stuff that's in game now gets monetized according to player desire I reckon. Nobody gives a hoot about the pve tank mounts cos like I said, they're kinda bad. Probably not enough demand there to justify a re-skin. Not when the effort can go to re-skining the shiny new rancor mount which can and will be monetized to kingdom come.

Not saying it doesn't suck. I'm just saying it's not exactly surprising.

Edited by aeterno

Can we please make this into a new meme?

Viper's right -- keep your horrible looking armors, terribland looking weapons, nonsense titles and pets: give PvPers their choice of a reskinned version of one of those mounts. Afterall, bar's been lowered so square up BW.

This poster knows how to square up :D.

I like the cut of your jib

Please name me a dozen variations to the following PvE-exclusive mounts:

• Avalanche Heavy Tank
  • Titan 6 Containment Vehicle
  • Helix Hyperpod

None of those are ICONIC Star Wars items. A Rancor is. There is no way they were going to let something that iconic be only available to a tiny % of the playerbase.

BUT THAT VERSION IS EXCLUSIVE. And you're getting it way before other versions come out, so you can show up your Leet Status to everyone.

The precedent is there. Treek looked to be an exclusive Legacy companion for people with Legacy over 40, but of course that was never going to happen. Ewoks are much too iconic, so Treek was opened to the Cartel Market too.

Legacy 40 players didn't even get a special "unique" version of the Ewok either.

You get an exclusive version before any other version comes out. Why is that not good enough?

The simple fact is that in mmo's you need rewards as motivation. Sure people play just for the enjoyment but what keeps them coming back is the reward at the end of the tunnel. Just look at the enormous increase in ranked play since the rewards announcement.

When you give everything to everyone then you really are destroying the whole reason people keep coming back and invest time into this game.

If your guild is top tier and puts in weeks of work to down the hardest content in the game they should be rewarded for their efforts with exclusive items. The same goes for PvP.

I think putting items on the CM is a bit short sighted. Sure they will get a nice immediate return but are at the same time destroying what keeps people actively playing... The reward.

/signed

The simple fact is that in mmo's you need rewards as motivation. Sure people play just for the enjoyment but what keeps them coming back is the reward at the end of the tunnel. Just look at the enormous increase in ranked play since the rewards announcement.

When you give everything to everyone then you really are destroying the whole reason people keep coming back and invest time into this game.

If your guild is top tier and puts in weeks of work to down the hardest content in the game they should be rewarded for their efforts with exclusive items. The same goes for PvP.

I think putting items on the CM is a bit short sighted. Sure they will get a nice immediate return but are at the same time destroying what keeps people actively playing... The reward.

/signed

Of course incentives and rewards are always important, but you've got to remember that this is a game that is too be enjoyed not a struggle that divides man from mouse. Rewards are important, but they shouldn't be made exclusive in such a way that you are forced to style your playing experience not around enjoyment but around the rewards. Or else are excluded from content that you have paid to enjoy just so that others can lord it over you. Edited by Beniboybling

/signed

That's interesting. The thing that keeps me playing is that I enjoy / have fun during the time that I play.

Let me reiterate, I do enjoy playing this game. I especially like the main story lines for the classes I have played so far. What I am saying is that in mmo's, end game content mostly revolves around rewards.

Why keep doing the same ops over and over? The first time is fun to experience the new content but after that it's pretty much for the reward.

In PvP, which I find very enjoyable, it is similar at end game. I played more before I completed my Obroan set then I did after.

Anyways, I do enjoy the game play, but I believe the rewards enhance my enjoyment by providing goals.

Let me reiterate, I do enjoy playing this game. I especially like the main story lines for the classes I have played so far. What I am saying is that in mmo's, end game content mostly revolves around rewards.

Why keep doing the same ops over and over? The first time is fun to experience the new content but after that it's pretty much for the reward.

In PvP, which I find very enjoyable, it is similar at end game. I played more before I completed my Obroan set then I did after.

Anyways, I do enjoy the game play, but I believe the rewards enhance my enjoyment by providing goals.

Luckily, the Devs are giving you an EXCLUSIVE mount that nobody else can get without PVP'ing...

I'm really disappointed to ALREADY hear that the Rancor will be put in PVE and even CM.

Then you are very much mistaken. Read Eric Musco's post. The armored, tattooed rancor will exclusive to PvP. Your special snowflake status is going to be OK.

The simple fact is that in mmo's you need rewards as motivation.

Whenever someone says something is a "simple fact," I know what follows is nothing more than their opinion.

I'm no hardcore MMO-player, but if PvP in itself isn't good enough for you and you feel a need exclusive rewards for your 'hard work' (because playing videogames is so hard) then maybe you need rethink why you play videogames.

Always nice to see a post from someone with a working brain.

:cool:

Edited by branmakmuffin

I will agree with keeping the rancor mounts off the CM but I think that now and going forward these kinds of unique mounts should have a pvp and pve version. I however think that the PvE one should be removed after the next tier comes out to make it more exclusive similar to how the pvp mount will be this change would have to be accompanied with a more guaranteed way of getting the mount instead of a random drop. The idea though of keeping a mount entirely exclusive to PvE or PvP is a selfish idea and won't happen especially in this case where I believe the rancor mount was first planned for PvE because of the cyborg rancor boss. But I do see the desire and benefit of some exclusivity to mounts which is why I think the PvE mounts need to be obtainable for a limited time preferably not on the CM at all as exclusive and cool mounts like this that they can show off is what drives many players to play the game. Because the PvP mount almost my entire PvE focused guild has been doing PvP however those who have decided not to have decided this because they would rather just get it off the CM later which is not the kind of attitude people should have with content if the game wants to grow and have active players. I am doing PvP actively for the first time is over a year just because of this mount already sure that a PvE version would be coming as well but the CM kind of kills my desire for it because the PvP one will take time and a level of skill to obtain as will the PvE one but there will be a hundred rancors running around on fleet and at that point a unique skin doesn't matter that much because it gets lost in the sea of all the other mounts with the same model.

TL;DR Have a PvP and limited time PvE version of the rancor mount without a version on the CM so that I have a reason to do PvP and PvE all day instead of sitting on my ship crafting endless augment kits so I can buy something only slightly different off the GTN.