Shadow Top Three Answers

CourtneyWoods

if juggs and vanguards go unchanged i see the following for spike, squish (pre heals) and post self-heal dtps for given pre mitigation snv hm weights damage delivered.

shadow jugg van

spike 0.039 0.04098 0.033456

squish 0.259 0.314 0.27

5000 1296 1446 1353

5500 1426 1603 1488

6000 1555 1760 1623

so we are still a little more spikey than vanguards, but we are now middle of the road, whereas we thought the concept was most spike but least squish. now we are middle spike and least squish. now juggs have most spike (by very small amount, juggs are still 1% better in terms of kinetic damage for unshielded hits, so we might call them even) and take the most damage pre/heals and post heals

KBN, I'm not sure where your 57.55 is coming from, i am using KD armor rating of 3107 for light and 5869 for heavy (pre stance buff, armor_rating) and getting 50.47% from 170% boost (scalar_buff) plus 0.02 +0.02 +0.05+0.04 (0.02 comes from skill tree, 0.02 come from 4 set bonus, 0.05 from slow time and 4% from TkT, added_buff) using equation:

(armor_rating*(1+scalar_buff))/((armor_rating*(1+scalar_buff))+240*55+800)+added_buff

i dont have the info for new 78 gear yet. using 69,72, and 75 to extrapolate gives:

Level light heavy difference

69 2894 5466 2572

72 2999 5666 2667

75 3107 5869 2762

78 3213 6070 2857 extrapolated

where

light_armor_rating = 35.5*item_level + 444

heavy_armor_rating = 67.17*item_level+831

after applying each specs armor buff we get:

shadow: 95.85*item_level+1198.8

jugg: 118.556*item_level+1466.715

van: 119.227*item_level+1475.025

so shadows are behind by:

jugg: 22.71*item_level+267.915

VG: 23.38*item_level+276.225

when the item level is high enough for shadows' better mitigation buffs to be overshadowed (cute right) by other specs' armor rating, the combat team may need to revisit some stuff... if they had just given light armor the same coefficent for item level to armor as heavy, but changed the offset, this would not be troublesome.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I derived my numbers using the following…

Stat budget of 2600. Assuming S&V damage split (doesn't matter all that much as long as I'm consistent about it). Stat percentages are {0.232407 (defense), 0.380076 (shield), 0.473589 (absorb)} (looking at this actually printed out, things seem hinky; I'll check my numbers and repost later, continuing with explanation). Light armor rating at full 72 grade is precisely 2684, while the heavy armor rating is 5067 (numbers pulled out of AMR's database). Using scalars and addends according to teh following: {name -> "shadow", defenseAdd -> 0.11, defenseBonus -> 0.05,

shieldAdd -> 0.15, shieldBonus -> 0.2, absorbAdd -> 0.04,

absorbBonus -> 0.0552, resist -> 0.02, iresist -> 0.23,

armorScalar -> 1.7, armorAdd -> 0.08, endScalar -> 0.08}. (bonuses are additive, addends are additive, scalars are multiplicative on the rating) This gives a mitigation total of 0.57551.

As I noted, I think there's something wrong with my percentages, since the shield percentage looks extremely high while simultaneously I'm not certain that my computation is correctly considering bonuses.

If that's the case, then you're right, it would be more challenging. That would make it a very unique stacking buff though, since everything else in the game is refreshed rather than re-stacked. A good example of this is the Overload Saber DoT as a Watchman Sentinel.

This is how I read it as well, not a refresh, but restacking akin to bulwark. If it is simply a refresh, then the skill floor is dropped significantly, but a reapplication keeps a high skill level and seems more in line with what the healing did than a simple HoT refresh. As that would be similar to Bulwark it is not completely unique, but would, as Bulwark is, be unique to Shadows, which I like and is probably why I read it that way instead of a refresh.

This will be something we need to look at on the PTS and ensure that we both keep a significant skill differential and are still rewarded for that higher level of play.

Hey Shadows,

... stuff.

With a try at nice wording... It sux.

I rather take the danger of being spiked to death and keep "my" self heals. Without it, it's a lot closer to the Guard/Jugg class. I'm one of those who "love" hybrid classes. If I play in a rather "normal relaxed" way, I'll do better with guard/jugg and van/pt - but when I really concentrate and focus 150%(actually mentally tough) ... well then "stuff" happens(wonderfull stuff, often enough).

Obviously the loss of the self healing won't in itself change the whole class. But the FEEL of the whole class(Shadow/Assasin) would become something else, for me.

Since I(as many other people) get notable attached to my main class and main character - such a "little" change might ruin the whole game experience for me. While it possibly ain't so, it sure feel like we got "what we deserved" - "you whiny little bunch... TAKE THIS!".

I don't want to have a "normalized" and "streamlined" tank class/character as main class/character.

//disappointed

/EDIT

Of course I'd like to keep the tank tree as is AND get some minor tweak to take place to reduce the spikyness.

//EDIT 2

I'm mainly concerned with the passive stance heal, and somewhat less concerned about high-tank-tree-spec X3 proc and heal on demand.

Balance will still be the worst in a PVE situation since those enemies do not cleanse our dots now, do they? I mean sure we will enjoy the increase with Double Strike, but Whirling Blow? I dont think anyone uses that in a serious situation? And I dont know if Balance shadows are supposed to use Shadow Strike either? That force cost hurts.

KBN, I'd like to remind you about you not only being a "class representative", but also a "representative of the People playing a certain class". I think you know the difference as well as the synergy.

While I nor no one else, probably, have or even could get accurate numbers of the people thinking/feeling This or That. It could be seen as safe to assume that Quite many people play the class because of it's lore, because of it's own uniqueness(tank class with small amount of self healing and stealth), because of the feel of the class, because of the story(lots of healing)... and a few other things(like the heal relics, I kinda enjoy that bit, and so does several other people).

... thus one could argue that a representative would also take All these people(and their thoughts and feelings) into consideration. Don't you think?

I'm not a cruncher of numbers, I'm rather a cruncher of minds(lol) and as you may already know... "feelings often enough, do not care about logic"(exists both good and bad sides/consequences because of this, thats another story though). Thus in this aspect you might have to be open about this/these perspective, as well as Also put the numbers aside, to a degree.

Bioware have made this game, of course Bioware got the potential to "fix" the spikyness of Shadows/Assassins - while still letting the class keep the healing in the tank stance(as well as the proc X3 on demand heal). Surely it won't be something overly trivial. But quite possible within reason - yes, thats highly likely. Well... fixing it "here and now" probably ain't that much of a hassle, but I mean over time, as the class, gear and game evolves.

Please consider my words. :)

DG,

I am not sure why you think KBN isn't concerned about lore of the feel of the class. Grumpf was the one who said he didn't concern himself with lore crap. I don't ever recall KBN saying anything negative about reinforcing commonly held ideas about lore. What I see is that KBN is concerned about making the game enjoyable from a technical aspect while preserving a distinction among the tanks. And while lore is very important for many people, I would venture to say that technical playability is a more important aspect of a game than adherence to traditional lore.

You are challenging KBN by saying he is advocating destroying the feel of one spec of this class. We don't know how the change is really going to affect the feel yet. That is going to play out on the PTS and the first weeks of 2.5. From a technical aspect this is a good technical change. There is significant disagreement about how this will alter the feel of the class as we look at the surface changes. I am one that doesn't think it will change too significantly, you think it will. This is the discussion and we are all, KBN and Xinika included, in it. None of us want the feel to change, else we would have rerolled, but we recognize that technical changes were necessary and those might impact the feel of the class as Xinika pointed out months ago.

Can honestly say i'm happy with the changes made to the kinetic tree. Between guard swapping, taunting, dodging aoe's, and making sure the other teams cant stop your self-heal - you never really had the chance to use it. If the scoundrel healer couldn't keep you up, that self-heal didn't do much anyway.

DG,

I am not sure why you think KBN isn't concerned about lore of the feel of the class. Grumpf was the one who said he didn't concern himself with lore crap. I don't ever recall KBN saying anything negative about reinforcing commonly held ideas about lore. What I see is that KBN is concerned about making the game enjoyable from a technical aspect while preserving a distinction among the tanks. And while lore is very important for many people, I would venture to say that technical playability is a more important aspect of a game than adherence to traditional lore.

You are challenging KBN by saying he is advocating destroying the feel of one spec of this class. We don't know how the change is really going to affect the feel yet. That is going to play out on the PTS and the first weeks of 2.5. From a technical aspect this is a good technical change. There is significant disagreement about how this will alter the feel of the class as we look at the surface changes. I am one that doesn't think it will change too significantly, you think it will. This is the discussion and we are all, KBN and Xinika included, in it. None of us want the feel to change, else we would have rerolled, but we recognize that technical changes were necessary and those might impact the feel of the class as Xinika pointed out months ago.

Well "remind" for me, indicates that it's already known. I'm not saying anything about KBN nor Xinika. Rather I'm telling some of my thoughts regarding the matter at hand. And since I perceived KBN having more of a focus on numbers and what we could call "static facts" - I felt like making my "voice" heard.

I'm rather neutral regarding both KBN and Xinika. So don't worry, I'm not saying anyone of them "is that or is this" nor "does this & does that". I've myself been a class representative of a underdog class in another mmorpg(tank-melee-caster hybrid... of all things :D ) for several years and I know it's not a walk in the park(well, sometimes it just might be that, others times not as much - ups and downs).

And not just in games, but in the world at large, one could argue that "numbers" and "facts" getting more and more focus in many places. For example, in schools, health care and even therapeuts of different kinds all too often have to "get the numbers right". It's often not a healthy way of doing and "fixing" those things(my job to be involved in matters such as that). Of course it shouldn't be removed. Maybe a good word or two in this context could be "good balance"(take both/all sides into consideration, more or less equal focus).

Thus when I perceive(I don't have to be right, it's my experience of the posts I've read) such imbalance yet again - I felt I'd like to express some of my "fears", and remind KBN and Xinika of these things. As well as express my disappointed thoughts and feelings IF mentioned changes would take place.

You happy with that answer Doulo, or would you like to get additional thoughs/information?

You happy with that answer Doulo, or would you like to get additional thoughs/information?

I apparently did not pick up your original tone correctly as it came across very condescending toward the use of technical evaluation (not just at KBN but at everyone who primarily looks at the numbers). But as you were reminding KBN, and thus all of us, to not forget lore and feel, I am on board with that. I don't think that we are forgetting about feel at all. It is something that is important and I think we are going do all we can to preserve the essence while getting the changes that will keep us competitive at all levels in PVE and PVP.

Not happy with the removal of the self heal at all.

As someone who does not do nightmare raids (which is what this all seems to be targeted for since it's used as the comparison activity apparently...and I have main tanked in them with my Shadow, I just don't do them any more), all this is going to do is cause frustration for my normal daily play. I run solo often, but I also team up with others when needed for heroics, the occasional flashpoint, when someone needs help...and (as has been pointed out several times) the self heal is one of the primary things that provides uniqueness to the class - it's one of the foundation moves in our rotation, and will severely upset the balance I, and many others absolutely LOVE about Shadows ("balance" defined simply as the fun we have of keeping ourselves alive through careful use of skills and rotations).

I'm know there's some won't agree (quite a few already in this thread alone), could dig out their trusty spreadsheet and prove I'm wrong based on the math, say that the loss of the self heal will be offset by the extra damage reduction...and that may actually be true, but I'm more concerned with the loss of "fun" rather than the numbers used to validate changes like this, the enjoyment of the class I've been playing since early beta compared to the small population of players who actually even try nightmare content, the one character I've enjoyed more than any other simply because of the uniqueness it's always had.

Justify it however you want, but this is removing a huge portion of what makes this class what it is, and I'm not happy with that decision one bit.

Your rotation hasn't even changed... just the green numbers that flash up....

So if the shadow will not heal himself after 2.5 what's the meaning of Shadow's shelter buff after that? (in solo play)

Imho will be better if rapid recovery will grant an healing buff..

Shadows will be distort from the original class peculiarity: self heal..

I have 3 characters and they are all tanks (shadow, vanguard and guardian) i really love the shadow gameplay but i will go for a guardian if the class lose his trait :(

You get +2% to healing received straight up from that talent. You can also drop it on your companion and initiate with a force pull.

With that said, I think there are a couple complications to this change that the Combat Team may or may not have foreseen. Off the top of my head:

• Sustained threat per second will be reduced by almost 300 TPS on average with the removal of all self-healing. This is a significant nerf to AoE threat and needs to be corrected in other areas (suggestion: increase the threat dealt by Force Breach by ~10-15%)
  • Burst threat is nerfed significantly with the removal of the heal from TkT/FL. An auto-crit channel used to do 20k threat over 3 seconds. Removing the heal drops this to 16k, a burst threat nerf of 20%. This is of absolutely vital importance in the opener and will definitely be noticed. (suggestion: increase threat dealt by TkT/FL by 7% per stack of HS/HD; this leaves the threat lower than currently, but much closer)
  • Sustained damage (and thus threat) is being nerfed slightly with the removal of Rapid Recovery's effect on technique procs. I'm too lazy to math this out right now, but it's probably only about 10 DPS in current gear. (suggestion: ignore this nerf; shadows/assassins are doing too much damage in tank spec anyway relative to the other tanks)
  • Battle Readiness / Overcharge Saber is being indirectly nerfed since Combat Technique / Dark Charge no longer heals. The CT proc rate increase was not a significant component of the cooldown, but it was noticeable. Either the up-front heal needs to be buffed slightly or the DR needs to be buffed (e.g. 26%).
  • Currently, we activate TkT/FL every 12 seconds (on average). Any delay on this ability is a significant survivability hit. Post-2.5, we can use TkT/FL *half* as frequently (since both the first and last tick will refresh the stacks) and it's only a damage/threat loss. This is a significant nerf to the skill floor of the class. (suggestion: the stacks should only last for 12 seconds; this leaves a 3 second margin window, but still forces near-optimal TkT/FL)

Regarding the TPS issues, Is this factoring damage buffs to DS/Thrash, Maul/SS, and Whirling Blow/Lacerate?

...Potent Shadows / Electric Ambush is the 90 second cooldown. As I said in the question, this is really insufficient. Let's look at some other burst-oriented specs:

• Combat/Carnage - double-Gore window once every 20 seconds; single-Gore guaranteed once every 16s
  • Focus/Rage - Sweep/Smash + buff every 10 seconds (slightly longer if a fail player, but still reliable)
  • Dirty Fighting/Lethality - Wounding Shots/Cull every 9 seconds (or every 6 seconds if scoundrel/op)
  • Scrapper/Concealment - Backblast/Backstab every 12 seconds; Sucker Punch/Lacerate every 6 seconds
  • Telekinetics/Lightning - Turbulence/Thundering Blast every 11 seconds
  • Gunnery/Arsenal - High Impact Bolt / Rail Shot and Demo Round / Heat Seeker Missile every 15 seconds

This really leaves out only one spec: Infiltration/Deception. The key thing to notice is that Infil/Decep has no guaranteed burst window. Everything is based on RNG, in contrast to every other burst spec which is based on hard cooldowns. Project/Shock will come up frequently, but it doesn't hit hard enough to be called a burst window in and of itself. Force Breach / Discharge and Shadow Strike / Maul are extremely RNG dependent and tend to drift around a lot. You can't really control when they come up (outside of that 90 second cooldown), and delaying them (especially Force Breach) is a real problem due to procs. This means that Infil/Decep doesn't have a significant burst window that they can time to boss mechanics, and they lack the sustained DPS of a "pressure" spec. So, they're essentially screwed from both ends.

With that said, if you intend to increase the sustained damage done by Infil/Decep, I think most people would be pretty satisfied. As I have been saying, the DPS are balanced along a spectrum between burst and sustain, and Infil/Decep needs more of either one or the other (but not both).

I am disappointed. Yes an increase to damage of CS/VS is a step in the right direction (oh wait, a "slight" increase to be accurate). I'll take it but that's not enough because slight is what, 1, 2 3%?

I'm not interested in the buff to Infiltration Tactics/Duplicity Courtney mentioned- imo there's too much of our damage tied up in shadow strike/ maul (which has a positional requirement). I've lost count of the times I've been the last one standing and all I can do is spam CS/VS and stupid 3K shocks all the live-long day waiting for stupid procs that don't come until too late and invariably fall short.

Oh wow, and there's plans to buff (slightly) Whirling Blow/Lacerate damage? I hear it's useful in PvP for uncovering stealthers. Do tanks use it for anything in PVE? This I don't know but I certainly haven't seen a DPS use it, ever... seriously, it's the laughingstock ability of the entire game.

thinking it's time to dump my main or maybe even the game entirely. very disappointed.

I also am very disappointed. I have 2 an IMP and a PUB shadow/***. If I had not wanted to play a tank that ahs the self healing abilities I have had since launch I would be playing a heavy armor user.

I have had no problems in Ops, no problems in flashies and no problem in soloing. I liked what I could do and feel, to me anyhow, this will greatly diminish my enjoyment of the class.

To each their own that's just my opinion and I am tired of every single thing always being based upon one extreme or the other.

When one does choose to solo or run flashies sometimes and that healer dies you may as well hit /stuck.

It is sad that I had to re-sub just to be able to post about the upcoming changes, but we shall see if it's worth it. If not I'll go back to being F2P and wont spend a cent on BioWare for another 6 months since credits can buy you everything, but ranked arenas (and having friends who can keep your credits for you and buy you stuff when needed is a fair game here)

I can say that Devs can be praised for an attempt to fix the spikiness of the Shadow Tanks, but that's about it.

I would love to see someone with actual working brain, and not brain dead Austin Peckenpaugh to do class balance. So called Dev "team" approached the fixes in the least creative way killing skill component of a skill tank along side with uniqueness in a form of self heals.

According to the changes they propose we will have to keep an eye on our kinetic ward and there will be no reason to manage any other procs as they will be handled by the rotation. Boring.

All I see in the changes is the fact that Dev "team" in the face of Austin Peckenpaugh admitted that they are pathetic at what they do.

What is the issue with a shadow tank right now?

- We have low passive mitigation and we need to make up for it with self heals, but high end content is too hard for us due to Spikiness/RNG and low end content is too easy for us due to self heals.

What are the problems with our heals?

- They are random and non-scaling (Combat Technique) which is bad because as our health pool and incoming damage grow the benefit of this heal becomes less and less material.

- They are easily interruptable (Telekinetic Throw at 3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows) as you don't always have full 3 seconds to channel because you are CCed, knocked back, pushed, etc or you got to move.

- Our heals don't give us a choice when to use them - they are part of our rotation with the only exception of Battle Readiness and Medpac+Force Cloak combination.

What a developer with a working brain could have done? Easy! Give shadows more control over the healing part and make us continuously choose between healing or keeping our damage reduction up. This way you can adjust how much we heal for if needed to balance it against DR.

Remove random heal from Combat Technique and change the condition for damage from attacking to being attacked. This way when we attacked - Combat Technique triggers at each attacker making up for threat lost due to removal of heal.

Change the Harnessed Shadows talent to the following:

- While Kinetic Ward is active Project and Slow time grant Harnessed Shadows which increases damage reduction by 3% (adjust as needed). Stacks up to 3 times. Effect lasts 15 seconds or until Kinetic ward is reactivated.

Add a talent Healing Shadows (or whatever you want to name it) linked to Harnessed Shadows

- When Harnessed Shadows effect ends it restores 3% of total health per stack. (Can be adjusted if this heal is deemed to large or/and put a requirement of 3 stacks for healing component)

What does it do? It puts us in front of a decision: "Do I refresh KW and heal now, but loose 9% DR or do I keep DR for a bit more with gimped shield chance until I get hit with some high damaging attack and then heal?"

What does it do to keep us skill tanks? We will have to decide what's better at each moment. To have more DR or to rebuff KW and get self heal. We will be comparable to other tank in passive mitigation some of the time and we will be able to keep our self heals, but become more spiky/RNG dependent.

If need be - I will be even OK to loose damage buff on Telekinetic Throw as I think we already do too much damage for a tank.

It would be nice if KBN will do some number crunching for this scenario because he will be able to come up with values that are not overpowered, yet potent enough to keep the feel of the class as a skill/survival tank with self healing ability.

Your rotation hasn't even changed... just the green numbers that flash up....

Never said the rotation would change (try actually reading what you quoted)...excellent job in missing the point of what I posted though.

2 other things I was thinking about. I will now have 2 relics which will be worthless ( the mending ones ) 1 on each.

The other is damage reduction is great when you are getting hit.

But there are times I have down the boss in an op or a flashpoint or solo...when I am NOT getting hit. And I myself don't want to lose that.

A skilled shadow when the chips were down and the last standing could run and sprint and kite and HEAL...while doing their best to avoid getting hit.

That will now be gone. That was fun for me. Heck as I said I have 2 55's shadow tanks.

Basing these changes around how we function in NIM..well what about the rest. I don't do NIM all the time.

Why not just " gasp" make a change in some skill trees so we can choose...self healing OR better mitigation.

Wow..what a concept.

Anyhow that's only MY feelings

Never said the rotation would change (try actually reading what you quoted)...excellent job in missing the point of what I posted though.

There was no other point other than you don't like not having self-healing... the playstyle is otherwise identical. The skill cap is almost the same and is more rewarding to those who followed it.

You don't get smashed by design flaws that don't affect other classes as dramatically.

FYI, for the people who said "now I can't smash Titan-6 and survive indefinitely", that was the case of any tank in the SM & HM encounters, even into enrage. The missle attack is kinetic damage.

If you think it's a bad idea, show us a good idea, fully formed. It needs numbers to show how it's feasible.

Theses are my comments:

Im really unhappy about losing the self heals. what was wrong with my suggestion of a cheat death style mechanic? thats been successful in wow and other mmos. making madness dots uncleansable isnt the right move either, you dont want anything to become "uncounterable", thats just bad for the game. Instead maybe reduce its dependancy on dots? By boosting thrash/force ligthing damage.

Overall ye really unhappy about this. I'll see how it all works out when it goes live, but I was enjoying my sin!!! I dont want to have to go back to my troopy and bhunter. Im going to miss playing her.

There was no other point other than you don't like not having self-healing... the playstyle is otherwise identical. The skill cap is almost the same and is more rewarding to those who followed it.

You don't get smashed by design flaws that don't affect other classes as dramatically.

FYI, for the people who said "now I can't smash Titan-6 and survive indefinitely", that was the case of any tank in the SM & HM encounters, even into enrage. The missle attack is kinetic damage.

If you think it's a bad idea, show us a good idea, fully formed. It needs numbers to show how it's feasible.

Yes, I don't like having a skill I've enjoyed taken away, especially when it's to cater to a small population (yes, those the run NiM content are actually a small part of the population) of players...and yes, I know that's how MMO's work, and this certainly isn't my first rodeo (in before you try that troll argument)...doesn't mean I have to like it. My point, as you conveniently keep skipping over, is that the fun of the class, the uniqueness it's had in this game, is now gone - that is of course, my opinion, something which I'm perfectly entitled to (and something you certainly don't have to agree with) - and FYI, healing is NOT the same as mitigation, so your whole "skill cap" line is digging a bit.

And no, I'll leave the number validation to others...I don't find that part of gaming fun, you might, but not me.

Personally, I like the changes and will hold in reserve if I like the loss of self healing or not. I know I will miss it in SOLO situation with just Nadia there, but I dont think it will ruin the class for me personally. Now, remember I said personally there. :) The same mechanic to keep a skill tank is there as I will still have to do my casts timely or I will be a spikey tank that dies easily. Not sure it is 100% yet, but I think it is getting closer, but really wont see the true nature of it until it comes out in 2.5 and then I am guessing some final tweaking or twerking in 2.6 to get us in line.

Love it or not, I am happy with the answers we got as they were concise and they gave us a way of going forward and not just "working as intended" good luck. I feel that KBN and others that worked hard on the questions did outstanding in setting up the response we got and the devs really took it to heart to get us solid answers.

I find it peculiar that some argue the unique vs useful. The shadow self heal is useless when you tank thrasher in 16M HM / 8M NiM and 16M NiM. I haven't tried the new ops yet as I am on hols but I am sure it is useless there as well. As long as my damage from 3xharnessed +tk and threat stays the same, I am completely fine with giving the shadow back the armour they took and stance percentage. This is not a buff, its just BioWare giving it back things they should not have taken away in the first place.

I am really intersted to see the combination of kinetic bulwark and dmg reduction stacking. Oh and how will the treat be offset with the technique?