Warzones/Arena please let the player decide!

discbox

I've been trying to get into an arena in lowbie whole morning today.

Yet again, huttball.

The lack of choice is frustrating.

I'm pretty sure Arenas are only available at level 55.

Then again, I could be wrong. This whole Arenas thing has been kinda confusing to me lol.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Arenas are only available at level 55.

Then again, I could be wrong. This whole Arenas thing has been kinda confusing to me lol.

Nope, they are for lobwies to. Just got in after 3 hrs of quiting standard WZ.

GJ

So if we can't get an option to choose what we want to enter then please make a preview of what am I joining in the warzone pop-up. Having to quit and relog each time I get thrown into something I don't want is awfully aggravating.

On a side note the current system will make people leave arenas and warzones prematurely, this will cause people who didn't quit to go mad. No one will be happy. The current system is pure bull crap.

So if we can't get an option to choose what we want to enter then please make a preview of what am I joining in the warzone pop-up. Having to quit and relog each time I get thrown into something I don't want is awfully aggravating.

There is a way to see which warzone you'll get into, but it only works for level 55, it's not 100% accurate and with the addition of Arenas it's even less accurate.

What way? Besides that im mainly interested in lowbie

I'd rather not say. Not that it's done by using anything other than the tools Bioware gives us, but still.

Besides it doesn't work for lowbies and it doesn't give you the information you want 100% of the time even at 55 PVP.

arenas can be fun.. but it has no place mixed in with regular wz's .. to me arenas is something you do with your buddies.. not something you pug(that's just disasterous) when doing a 4v4 death match you should allways have the best available support with you and not just some random guys that dont know you or how you play... it just does'nt work.

Well, so far I cant decide whether I like to seperate warzones and arena or put it together as it is.

(I am German ^^)

Well, there are good reasons for both.

Seperation.

We could choose what WE want. If we like to play arena, lets to it. Play only wz, go for it. Again, in this case you also could argue, seperate everything, even wz. So in the end to seperate it means give us the choice.

Let it together as it is.

I find it really boring, if I could choose, cos I would know that some groups would only play certain WZ, cos they are good. Huttenball for example. Premade could win this in 3 Min. So they only choose this to get as much commandations as possible. Especially at night, if everyone could choose, no WZ could pop up. 4 dudes wanna play huttenball. 3 Dudes Arena and so on. The more you seperate pvp, the less wz shows up. Today, playing your alt under 55 is sometimes hard, if you wann play pvp, cos you have to wait a long time.

In this case, I like to play, whether arena or wz. Much better than to wait. As we havent crossserver pvp, I think thats the main reason not to seperate it.

and to some extent I like to have a suprise, what I have to play. Arena or WZ this kind of suprise it is nice.

Also unsubbed for the first time since launch yesterday after playing arenas (both wins and losses). I don't mind arenas being in the game and playing them occasionally, but at the same time don't want to be forced into playing them. I prefer longer games with objectives and had no clue (never bother with the PTS) that the queues for arenas wouldn't be separate. BioWare/EA won't miss my money anyway.

There are two reasons it appears as it does currently in the queue. First, what you have to keep in mind is that Arenas are a new type of Warzone. Similar to how Huttball is a type of Warzone and Voidstar is a type

They both serve a whole different purpose. Warzones such as Huttball, Voidstar and the Civil War are all objective based where arena's are all about smashing the other team into oblivion through burst play and what not.

To me it all seems like you guys put arena's in the same pool as regular warzones to prevent it from becoming another failure like ranked warzones.

.................................To me it all seems like you guys put arena's in the same pool as regular warzones to prevent it from becoming another failure like ranked warzones.

This is correct 100 times over.

They cannot afford for their new, flavour of the month idea, which PVPers did not ask for, from being dead in the water before it even starts.

The danger here, is that they actually kill PVP completely. I will keep leaving arenas when they pop, but eventually I will get bored with that and not queue if they pop too frequently. No PVP=no game for me, cancelled subs may just be another few weeks away. I will give them a month tops to fix this, if we don't queue separately by the start on November, I will not renew.

Additionally, speaking as someone who spends a fair amount on Cartel Coins, I will not be buying anymore until this is fixed.

They both serve a whole different purpose. Warzones such as Huttball, Voidstar and the Civil War are all objective based where arena's are all about smashing the other team into oblivion through burst play and what not.

To me it all seems like you guys put arena's in the same pool as regular warzones to prevent it from becoming another failure like ranked warzones.

i don't think it would fail. I think plenty of people would rather play arena style than wz style. I know I would. I'd like to mess around with PvP, but I have no desire to put in the effort for team-based objectives like in a wz. Arenas are good, but there's no way to guarantee getting into one. So, yeah, arenas will draw in at least one new player to PvP (me), but not if it's a hassle to get to a map that I want.

I hope BW decides to change this method.

i don't think it would fail. I think plenty of people would rather play arena style than wz style. I know I would. I'd like to mess around with PvP, but I have no desire to put in the effort for team-based objectives like in a wz. Arenas are good, but there's no way to guarantee getting into one. So, yeah, arenas will draw in at least one new player to PvP (me), but not if it's a hassle to get to a map that I want.

I hope BW decides to change this method.

There are people who asked for arena's to be implented in this game. Bioware delivered. However, I just can't get it out of my head they implented it based on how popular it is in WoW. Arena's in that retrospect does not work in this game because it does not have the massive PvP community that WoW has. Also, it's all restricted to single realms instead of multi-realms.

Not everyone likes arena's. As soon as they get an arena pop, they'll leave and so a new problem is born.

There are people who asked for arena's to be implented in this game. Bioware delivered. However, I just can't get it out of my head they implented it based on how popular it is in WoW. Arena's in that retrospect does not work in this game because it does not have the massive PvP community that WoW has. Also, it's all restricted to single realms instead of multi-realms.

Not everyone likes arena's. As soon as they get an arena pop, they'll leave and so a new problem is born.

I guess it goes both ways like that. Some people will drop if it's a wz and others will drop if it's an arena. It all balances out. To each his/her own. This game can sustain both types of maps.

This is correct 100 times over.

They cannot afford for their new, flavour of the month idea, which PVPers did not ask for, from being dead in the water before it even starts.

The danger here, is that they actually kill PVP completely. I will keep leaving arenas when they pop, but eventually I will get bored with that and not queue if they pop too frequently. No PVP=no game for me, cancelled subs may just be another few weeks away. I will give them a month tops to fix this, if we don't queue separately by the start on November, I will not renew.

Additionally, speaking as someone who spends a fair amount on Cartel Coins, I will not be buying anymore until this is fixed.

PVPers have been asking for arenas since before day #1.

But you touched on something: no matter what significant change they make, even if it's something you like and agree with, someone's going to (threaten to) quit over it.

Personally, I'm happy that I don't have to q for Huttball anymore. That has as much to do with pvp as touch football does (to me). Several times, especially when huttball was the main wz popping, bad games inspired long breaks.

PVPers have been asking for arenas since before day #1.

Again, I've seen occasional threads asking for arenas, and they are all flooded with negative responses. I honestly haven't seen anywhere close to large community support for the implementation of arenas.

Personally, I'm happy that I don't have to q for Huttball anymore. That has as much to do with pvp as touch football does (to me). Several times, especially when huttball was the main wz popping, bad games inspired long breaks.

How so?

Are you only doing Ranked? Because if that's the case, then good for you but not everyone does.

Again, I've seen occasional threads asking for arenas, and they are all flooded with negative responses. I honestly haven't seen anywhere close to large community support for the implementation of arenas.

IMO you are underplaying the demand discussion for arenas, for convenience. I've participated in those discussions, and while I am not a fan of arenas and I have concerns about their negative impact on class balance (tail wagging the dog in class balance)... there is no doubt at all from those discussions that the demand for arenas is real, and of notable numbers.

As for the topic itself. The request has been made. Eric has answered why it is the way it is at this time. Everyone has expressed their personal views and opinions 4 ways to Sunday. They will do what they always do.. monitor and gather data on the player base moving through the queue and into PvP. They have great telemetry on this game.. so if at the end of a month or so.. the telemetry shows too many disruptions to PvP instances lighting off due to people dropping.... they will sort it out and do something about it.

Whatever they do.. people will complain and demand they do it a different way. This is particularly true for PvP players in MMOs in general.

MMOs are not just code and feature implementations.. they are also giant social behavior exhibits. Half the battle is figuring out what the bulk of your player base actually wants and will play... and for that they need more then just player requests and feedback.. they need to actually observe the player base when it is in game and make adjustments from there. I get this. What is remarkable to me is the number of people in this thread (even normally thoughtful and reasonable people) who don't get this.

IMO you are underplaying the demand discussion for arenas, for convenience. I've participated in those discussions, and while I am not a fan of arenas and I have concerns about their negative impact on class balance (tail wagging the dog in class balance)... there is no doubt at all from those discussions that the demand for arenas is real, and of notable numbers.

That may be true, but I don't think it's at the expense of other forms of PvP.

Compared to, say, the demand for hood toggles, which is pretty much unanimous across the board and still hasn't been implemented?

I completely disagree with your assessment about notable numbers. The occasional thread pops up, and the majority of responders have flatly stated that they didn't want arenas. The response to this fiasco of forcing arenas into the regular queue lineup has been as good an indication as any, and the simple fact that Bioware forced Arenas into the rotation speaks volumes about whether they thought people would actually play them.

That, however, is not the PVP action some of us want.

You don't force people to do Ranked if they don't want to. Why force them to do Arenas?

I realize this is all new and shiny and you guys need to promote it, but maps with no objective whatsoever (other than killing the enemy players) is not everyone's idea of fun pvp.

And, most importantly, why can't you create a queuing system that would work like the groupfinder, where we can choose arenas, warzones or both? You don't need to keep them separate. And if someone chooses to only queue for WZs they would do so knowing that their queue could take a while. I just don't see how giving us options is so wrong.

Or also choose hutball. Some people just want to play one specific style and if they get into a different one than what they like, they simply log out and leave the team shorthanded. Some people like huttball only, some people don't like huttball, some like Alderaan, some one of the new arenase, etc.. The group finder should be udpated with PVP categories, including warzones, arenas open world PVP, etc. with each markable individually (but given an extra reward if you queue for all of one category, like it is with the Group finder).

Well; you probably can't convince Bioware any more than you can convince their apologists on the forums. Might as well just quit the match when you see an arena. That will either make them realize how much people want to be able to just do the 8v8, or they will more likely make another mistake with a quitter debuff because they are so determined to not give people what they want in the name of metrics.
(Emphasis mine.)

I agree with this assessment. Those who don't want to play arenas will have a hard time either way.

I also agree that the closest anology would be to not let PvE players decide on the content they want to queue for. They get the choice of different variation of the same type, while PvP players don't even get the choice of different types. People were already unhappy with Huttball being lumped together with the other warzones and asked for a choice. Instead of improving the situation by giving players a little more choice this is just making it worse.

It's all around sad that quitting is the only option right now. That neither helps those who want to do arenas nor does it help those who don't want to do them. It just helps the devs forcing their will on the players.

These need to be separated, period.

If people are constantly dropping out of WZ's to get into arenas or dropping out of arenas constantly to get into WZ's then what's the point?

Exactly!!!

With or without the choice, players will only play what they want to play...Bioware may be trying to force arenas on us, but those who do not like them, will simply leave and hurt the 3 others who were willing to do them. Not having a separate queue is FOOLISH!

what's the point of "faster" queues if you'll end up playing a 4v3 game?

There is none...it's a stupid and ignorant decision. It was a choice they made that they didn't think through to its logical conclusion. The inability to choose HURTS everyone...those who only like WZ's will be punished with quitters, those who only want Arenas will be punished with quitters, those who don't give a **** either way will be punished...this couldn't have been done in a worse way.