Warzones/Arena please let the player decide!

discbox

Well, they weren't specifically asking for Arenas, but they were saying that they are tired of guarding nodes and doors and that they wanted deathmatch maps. A rose by any other name ;)

And since owPVP is (kinda) out of the question, we got Arenas. Which I really do hope hardcore PVPers will enjoy, because it's actually the first new thing they got in a long time (other than new tiers of gear).

Ah :) I'd agree with you...on all of this post!!!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think you're being targeted as a vent for frustrations. I think it's more so your condescending remarks towards other players that often accompany your dissenting opinions that bring about negative attention from others. There is nothing wrong with having a differing opinion. Its when you attempt to hail from a stance of superiority and belittle others that you are more likely to receive such attacks. I'd be willing to bet (and have mentioned this to you in the past) that if you were to remain objective in your debates, you would be targeted far less often.

qft!!

Hey discbox!

You raise a good question and it is one I can answer. There are two reasons it appears as it does currently in the queue. First, what you have to keep in mind is that Arenas are a new type of Warzone. Similar to how Huttball is a type of Warzone and Voidstar is a type. Technically each different Warzone currently in the game is its own type, with a single map of that type. Warzone Arenas are the "type" 4v4 deathmatch with 3 different maps. That is why they are in the Warzone queue.

Secondly...

Zoom_VI is on the right path here. As we continue to separate queues, we will continue to increase queue times. Our goal is to make sure you can get into the PvP action ASAP!

Hope that answers your question.

-eric

Bullplop.

Once again you guys have tried and failed to reinvent PvP, forcing people to go into garbage arenas alongside regular warzones is deliberately organized so it does not show what a glaring failure they are because people wont queue for them. Bioware have failed with every single iteration of PvP including 2 ilum redesigns, the arrogance is palpable.

Its simple vested interests and protectionism, nothing more

Well, they weren't specifically asking for Arenas, but they were saying that they are tired of guarding nodes and doors and that they wanted deathmatch maps. A rose by any other name ;)

And since owPVP is (kinda) out of the question, we got Arenas. Which I really do hope hardcore PVPers will enjoy, because it's actually the first new thing they got in a long time (other than new tiers of gear).

Why is OWpvp out of the question? It's just pure laziness that we dont have some OW options tbh - one example of this is the Gree Event and they could easily make more simular PvPvE stuff that should be permanent and easily accessed by teleport to the groupleader in a group.

I agree completly with TUX. These Arenas will become boring quickly and are imo just a weak attempt to grant more content to the pvpers instead of making something new that will last.

Why is OWpvp out of the question? It's just pure laziness that we dont have some OW options tbh - one example of this is the Gree Event and they could easily make more simular PvPvE stuff that should be permanent and easily accessed by teleport to the groupleader in a group.

I agree completly with TUX. These Arenas will become boring quickly and are imo just a weak attempt to grant more content to the pvpers instead of making something new that will last.

Honestly?

Because I don't think any amount of tweaking the game engine would result in an enjoyable owPVP experience that wouldn't feel like Ilum all over again.

Honestly?

Because I don't think any amount of tweaking the game engine would result in an enjoyable owPVP experience that wouldn't feel like Ilum all over again.

Like i said, The Gree Event works - why would it be a problem if the gree event was permanent and if there were more simular permanent pvpve scenarios on other planets?

Like i said, The Gree Event works - why would it be a problem if the gree event was permanent and if there were more simular permanent pvpve scenarios on other planets?

I'd love to see more persistent PvPvE areas (like the Gree area) that reward players for going there (daily PvP type missions). Spread it around on several planets and you'd have smaller scale Ilum's that the engine should be able to handle better.

I've read most of the post in this thread. I'll admit I haven't read all of them. From what I have read in this post and from discussions I've had with other people in game that actively pvp is that we never wanted arenas. Most of the people that pvp in SWTOR aren't new kids on the block when it comes to mmo's and pvp. We've been there, we've done that. And most pvpr's know that arenas, especially 4 man arenas are going to get boring fast.

What I feel most people wanted is more warzone's that were of the same 'type of warzone'. We wanted to keep 8 man ranked warzones. There was a petition against taking it from us. But you,Bioware, as far as I can tell and I think most would agree, chose to ignore that petition.

More ranked 8 man warzone's was your answer all along, not 4 man arenas. World vs World would have been awesome although I understand the game engine might not hold up to that.

Another idea might have been to introduce software that would allow SWTOR players to design warzones and then conducted a bi-monthly or even a yearly contest where other players would vote for the best warzone. The winner or winners would receive some cartel coins or maybe a month free sub etc. and have his/her winning warzone implemented into the game permanently.

Anyway, 8 man ranked you should have kept and introduced more maps for. 4 man ranked arena, which is not another warzone type by the way, you should have canned.

I'd love to see more persistent PvPvE areas (like the Gree area) that reward players for going there (daily PvP type missions). Spread it around on several planets and you'd have smaller scale Ilum's that the engine should be able to handle better.

Aye, thats exactly what i mean. And imo they owe us that much for the massive fail Ilum was...

I'm wondering how an option for WZ choice increases queue length? If you have a number of people into Huttball and queuing up for that it should pop pretty quickly. SWG had the option to choose plus monitor the queues in real time. Such an option would be great here. If Voidstar took forever to pop, well you'd know that the majority of the players on the server think that map sucks. Awesome new metric for BW to track and a baseline for which maps to model new ones after.

Awesome new metric for BW to track and a baseline for which maps to model new ones after.

Yeah, I don't think those metrics are important anymore, at least when it comes to normal warzones.

I doubt we'll see a new Warzone for a loooong time.

Hey discbox!

You raise a good question and it is one I can answer. There are two reasons it appears as it does currently in the queue. First, what you have to keep in mind is that Arenas are a new type of Warzone. Similar to how Huttball is a type of Warzone and Voidstar is a type. Technically each different Warzone currently in the game is its own type, with a single map of that type. Warzone Arenas are the "type" 4v4 deathmatch with 3 different maps. That is why they are in the Warzone queue.

Secondly...

Zoom_VI is on the right path here. As we continue to separate queues, we will continue to increase queue times. Our goal is to make sure you can get into the PvP action ASAP!

-eric

So fix the engine so we can have cross server queues which will decrease queue time.

I'm wondering how an option for WZ choice increases queue length? If you have a number of people into Huttball and queuing up for that it should pop pretty quickly. SWG had the option to choose plus monitor the queues in real time. Such an option would be great here. If Voidstar took forever to pop, well you'd know that the majority of the players on the server think that map sucks. Awesome new metric for BW to track and a baseline for which maps to model new ones after.

I don't quite follow the question.. I mean, how could it not affect wait times? If I owned a Walmart and someone opened a Target next door to me, would that affect the incoming number of customers? The only way adding a queue could possibly NOT increase wait times is if:

A) 0 people use one of the options

or

B) The game gets an increase in population that makes up for it

Both are highly unlikely, imho. I do think we all agree that we want more choice, but NOT if it results in having to wait longer for queues to pop.

As for the previous SWG mention, I enjoyed their battlefield pvp system, but letting the players choose which map to queue for was horrible. I spent countless hours checking the queue #'s wondering why the 1 or 2 idiots in 1 queue won't switch to the queue I'm in, when we only need 1 more person for it to pop.. and then you switch to their queue, but 1 or 2 other idiots don't switch with you - hours later, the queue still hasn't popped, simply because the devs let the players have too many choices and everyone is stubborn. I'm so glad BioWare doesn't let this happen. The fact SWG let you see the queue numbers really showed why people shouldn't be allowed to choose unless you have a massive population queuing.

-eric

now tell us, why do you want to dramatically increase the population of warzone leavers? because you can't force the ones who hate new arenas to play them, and they will be left with one way to pick up required warzone type - by leaving.

now tell us, why do you want to dramatically increase the population of warzone leavers? because you can't force the ones who hate new arenas to play them, and they will be left with one way to pick up required warzone type - by leaving.

Personally, I'd still rather have a 3v4, than be sitting in the queue waiting.

Even if some people of the people who don't prefer arenas do not immediately quit, the queues are still popping faster. There's no scenario where the queues pop faster by splitting them up more.

I have been waiting almost 2 hrs to get into a arena whilst in the mean time I was thrown like 9 times into the old warzones.

Servers are full.

This is crap.

Are you queuing as a dps? Because just like in FPs they are in higher quantity then healers or tanks, so you may have to wait a long time before you get into one.

-eric

I don't want to get in arena with arena-bad classes. And be insulted just because I am killing the other 3 guys chances to win.

Fix your classes balance FIRST, then force people into "PvP action ASAP!"

Long Ques? Why?

If you let people decide to do what they WANT TO DO, they enjoy playing the game more.

You let people choose flashpoints and operations in Group Finder, but you put all warzones into one big bracket? I would LOVE to stop queing for Alderaan Civil War, I hate this map. Also today I wanted to try new Arenas, but I got old maps more than 15 times! And I want to gear up before I will jump into Ranked.

You could also introduce "priority" system, where every player can choose how much he likes certain warzone maps and can set different priority for those (low, medium, high). He still can get "low" priority maps, but matchmaking system will try to get him into "high" priority maps with other players that wanted those.

So I gave the "try it first" thing a go.

Yeah, didn't like it much.

Spent most of the night leaving arena's which was amazing fun, thanks for that.

I'd prefer to stick with my far more enjoyable objective based PvP spankyou muchly....

Think of it this way you only want 8 mans so you queue for only 8 mans, I prefer arenas so I only q for arenas thus both our queues are increased, but your the worse off because your queue requires 16 people a match but mine only needs 8.

In the end the arena haters are the ones getting shafted by their own proposal

you know, it is better to wait a bit, then not to play at all. and "arenas only" for those who hate them means exactly "no play".