Can you allow Commandos to use Blaster Rifles aswell?

Felkroth

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this guy says. If you haven't noticed yet, you will after playing all four advanced classes of melee Jedi/Sith. They share A LOT of animations, some only slightly modified. They have so many animations they can just resort to what they have to replace all of the abilities without breaking the combat and animation style of that particular class!

Seriously, do some comparison and you'll be amazed how similar animations are. Shadow's thrust, for example, is the same stuff as retaliate of Knight/Juggernaut. Even though it's a staff, it shares more animations with a single blade :] See Crushing Blow!

Slightly modified things would be:

Merciless Slash is extremely similar to Guardian's sundering strike and could be replaced with this animation for single wield. Same stuff with blade rush. The animation speed and special effects vary and the movement of left hand appears only to be different. Bah, they even use one lightsaber even when dual wielding!

Cauterize is a modified version of overhead slash and same goes for Marauder/Juggernaut equivalents.

Also, if you haven't noticed our companions have interesting animations. Staff wielders can use Ravage/MS-like abilities and they also have a very neat, impaling animation for one of their abilities. We saw them in early pre-release gameplays. It could be used to replace Annihilate to retain the style and look of Annihilation combat because Annihilate is actually fairly unique.

So, an example of replacement for few abilities to keep the style and make them still fit the class:

Single-blade Combat/Watchman Sentinel:

Blade Rush ->Guardian's Sundering Strike with extra lights

Precision Slash -> Juggernaut's Vicious Slash (even leg movement, or the lack of it, is identical atm)

TWT (would require a name change) -> Saber Throw (Jug/Guard) and the saber flying forth and back in a spinning manner.

Dispatch -> Jug's Vicious Throw

Riposte -> Jug's Retaliate

Crippling Throw -> Vicious Throw

Leg Slash -> Neat animation works with both single/dual wield. would love it for some Shadow attacks because of its fancy style! Heck, character even takes Consular's stance when using it!

Cauterize -> Overhead Slash (Guardian)

Ataru Form strike -> extra strike is done with right-hand saber so it's cool.

Zealous Strike -> Sundering Assault (Jug). This is a tough one for me actually but I think it fits.

Merciless Slash- Zealous Strike with extra lights

Overload Saber -> hastened Ataru/Soresu form animation. Same as for dual wielding.

A toggle from character window, not to display secondary lightsaber would be nice. all stats retained, character just goes into single saber stance. When wielding a staff, second blade could automatically get replaced without the toggle feature.

This is it. Entire Advanced class has its animations for single wielding :l I am sure it could utilize Shadow/Assassin animations, too, if they were to wield a staff. Dude, I can list up and suggest every ability/animation for single/dual wield right now. Haven't played Shadow/Assassin that far yet.

I think that letting Marauders and Guardians (and surely other classes, too) use either single, two blades or double-bladed swords is definitely doable without resorting to new animations.

The only problematic abilities I can think of are the two staff abilities. with those crazy spins.

Come on Bioware, it's more money from character customization features and most animations are out there.

Why should they work on any design impliments for somethig so cosmetic instesd of balance and real content

Don't forget their fetish over gigantic backpacks. And the clipping fest everything is. Yup.... a blaster rifle for commandos would be sweet

and my favorite the assault cannons that have more than one barrel but only fire from one of them...ever.

looks especially awesome on AC's with two barrels side-by-side but it only fires from the right one...never the left.

if they weren't going to make it so it looks like both/all barrels are firing..they shouldn't have multi-barrel weapons..AC or otherwise

I personally enjoy having distingushing characteristics about my character. They already have armor homogonized. Consdiering the real work they have to do i think t would be a wrong priorization unless they had nothing else to do. But thats just me. I mean i wouldnt like a giant gun either thats why i didnt play one

I agree with the OP. It's kinda silly to me that, as a Havoc Squad member (Special Forces), that I can only use an assault canon. Special Forces soldiers are supposed to be able to effectively use any weapon that they can. Commando's should be able to toggle between whatever firearm they want without penalty. Just makes sense. Honestly, I think the same could be said for Assassins/Shadows...it's a bummer that double-blades is all they can use. I think there is no harm in allowing any force user to be able to use single, double, and 2 sabers. They are just fighting styles. They should be able to fight in any style they please.

This all makes no sense at all. As a Commando you ARE able to use a blaster rifle. With a 72 barrel a Blaster Rifle does 503-754 damage and an Assault Cannon does 528-980. Are you saying a Blaster Rifle should logically do the same damage as an Assault Cannon? The two moves that require an AC are Charged Bolts (no loss as Gunnery) and Hail of Bolts (sometimes will be missed). If you are fine with using a smaller gun that does less damage, you are perfectly able to.

Assassins/Shadows can use a single blade saber. Of course, several key moves tied to their Saber Form (as done in the Expanded Universe) will be unavailable. How is it illogical that moves that require a Saberstaff will be unusable if you have a single bladed saber? These are force users that have decided to specialize in a certain form and that form requires a Saberstaff or Two Saber wielding. All force users can choose to use a single saber blade, but moves from certain forms will be unavailable because they require the tools.

What is being suggested would be some fun to mix it up a little on weapon selection, but trying say it is logical that a Blaster Rifle should do the same damage as an Assault Canon is not a valid argument.

Nope hail of bolts and charged bolts works perfectly well with a blaster rfile- it could be that since i equipped her with a modable rifle from around level 13 onwards that there was no noticiable difference in stats at that stage - I will check with an assault cannon at her level and seee if there are any stat changes (if there is a greater base damage stat for the cannon) -No issue with a change of weapon I'm simply curious as I alsohave a male commando on a different server with an assault cannon and have seriously noticed no performance differences - ok I am completely wrong apologies I jsut checked and its not working for charged bolts and hail of bolts oops sorry

You would be incorrect sir. The Commando abilities charged bolts and hail of bolts both require an assault cannon. I tested this out early this morning after reading your post. Upon equipping a blaster rifle, both skills went grey.

There are no differences in using an assault cannon over a blaster rifle when using all other eligible skills. If you are doing heavy AoE trash pulls, your DPS may suffer slightly, but other than that no. Also, once you get grav round, you won't be using charged bolts anymore.

Edit: Missed your last sentence regarding your mistake. Whoops.

Edited by gorstram

This thread is moot. Commandos CAN use blaster rifles. The only abilities they can't use while wielding them are Charged Bolts and Hail of Bolts. I don't know anyone that uses charged bolts after they get Grav Round, and in AoE situations, I'd rather use a combination of plasma grenade + sticky grenade (run into range and) + Pulse Cannon.

I'd like to revamp with my suggestions/beliefs. Some are viable, others impossible

1: Shotgun mainhand- A tanking.dps weapon for BH/Trooper, you would start out with a secondhand scattergun and slowly evolve up to combat and plasma shotguns. Close range, bulky looking things that carry a nice meaty boom when fired.

2: Knife dual wield- the agent/smuggler answer to dual wielding. Each class has a meele heavy tree so why not implement some pure meele/stealth gameplay in there.

3: Two-handed saber- Basically a bigger lightsaber, longer, thicker, a claymore/greatsword for the swtor age. I dont have much more on this vague idea.

4: Saber-staff- Not a two bladed weapon, something more in line with a force pike or polearm terminating in one of more saber blades. A foci for force abilitys or symbol of power. Admittedly this would demand some elaborate attack animations, but given the force casters rarely meele sorcs and sages should be fine.

5: Bolt guns- we all know the blaster pistols can me small and sleek, but if a class must use them, could we not have some truly massive hand cannon style of weapons? Something that looks and sounds like it needs armor assistance to lift and fire, and would make sence to tank things with?

I'd like to revamp with my suggestions/beliefs. Some are viable, others impossible

1: Shotgun mainhand- A tanking.dps weapon for BH/Trooper, you would start out with a secondhand scattergun and slowly evolve up to combat and plasma shotguns. Close range, bulky looking things that carry a nice meaty boom when fired.

2: Knife dual wield- the agent/smuggler answer to dual wielding. Each class has a meele heavy tree so why not implement some pure meele/stealth gameplay in there.

3: Two-handed saber- Basically a bigger lightsaber, longer, thicker, a claymore/greatsword for the swtor age. I dont have much more on this vague idea.

4: Saber-staff- Not a two bladed weapon, something more in line with a force pike or polearm terminating in one of more saber blades. A foci for force abilitys or symbol of power. Admittedly this would demand some elaborate attack animations, but given the force casters rarely meele sorcs and sages should be fine.

5: Bolt guns- we all know the blaster pistols can me small and sleek, but if a class must use them, could we not have some truly massive hand cannon style of weapons? Something that looks and sounds like it needs armor assistance to lift and fire, and would make sence to tank things with?

While I like some of your ideas, I think that most of them depart too much from the game in its current iteration to be possible. These would be great additions in a pen & paper SWTOR game, but adding these would require additional animations, crazy new item design, sounds, etc. Given what the developers have been giving us for the past couple of years, I think this maybe a little outside the realm of possibility. But I think your Saber Polearm idea could work on the Assassin/Shadow AC.

While I like some of your ideas, I think that most of them depart too much from the game in its current iteration to be possible. These would be great additions in a pen & paper SWTOR game, but adding these would require additional animations, crazy new item design, sounds, etc. Given what the developers have been giving us for the past couple of years, I think this maybe a little outside the realm of possibility. But I think your Saber Polearm idea could work on the Assassin/Shadow AC.

I'd be happy for shotguns alone really, we have the tech as far as the setting goes. But yeah, most of them are well into the impossible zone

There are no differences in using an assault cannon over a blaster rifle when using all other eligible skills.

except all skills that do weapon damage: high impact bolt, hammershot, and full auto

charged bolts and hail of bolts fall into this category too, but of course we know they can't be used at all anyway.

This thread is moot. Commandos CAN use blaster rifles. The only abilities they can't use while wielding them are Charged Bolts and Hail of Bolts. I don't know anyone that uses charged bolts after they get Grav Round, and in AoE situations, I'd rather use a combination of plasma grenade + sticky grenade (run into range and) + Pulse Cannon.

/Agree.

I have not used an assault canon on my Commandos for over a year.

Ever since the trooper cutscenes showed my commando medic taking out her blasters, I wanted to use these ingame as well.

Honestly, since the CM is open, there is no point of having any restrictions regarding gear whatsoever anymore. Just let us use whatever weapon we want. Heck, I would even buy a CM item which allows me to use blasters.

Please, BW, trooper-blasters ftw. Thanks. :)

If its just for looks whats the point armor is already homogenized so now we want even less to tell our classes apart?

I couldn't help but roll my eyes when they announced lightsaber restrictions based on what your class is. I mean, that makes no practical sense at all outside of gamey reasons...a game claiming to be about the story. The Jedi and Sith are iconic. Who is Bioware to tell us what type of lightsaber we can use?

I couldn't help but roll my eyes when they announced lightsaber restrictions based on what your class is. I mean, that makes no practical sense at all outside of gamey reasons...a game claiming to be about the story. The Jedi and Sith are iconic. Who is Bioware to tell us what type of lightsaber we can use?

You're right, I want to weld an Assaunt Cannon as a lightsabre! More freedom of choice!