Why aren't people gearing up anymore?

Screaming_Ziva

I haven't run 55 HMs for a long time because I haven't really needed to but I started again this week in hopes of getting the new Desler drop. What I'm seeing is surprising and, honestly, a little sad. Why does it seem like people don't upgrade their gear unless it's a 69? These are some of the players I encountered in 55 HMs yesterday:

Healer - in full Tionese

DPS Maurader - 17k health and trying to tank

Tank - Combination of Columi and Rakata with some crappy blue mods mixed in. My Sorc DPS had about 10k more health.

DPS - Crafted blue mods around level 45 or so

Earpieces, implants, relics - nobody even seems to care about upgrading these anymore. I saw someone wearing a level 25 earpiece!

How did these players even get to level 55?

You can actually get to 55 without even going to Makeb. I've done that on a couple characters via Corellia and the bonus series from Hoth and Belsavis along with the 50 daily zones.

In answer to your question though, I think you're encountering either fresh 55s or lazy people.

Why does it seem like people don't upgrade their gear unless it's a 69?

Because it is not necessary.

My first run through Makeb was with an alt who had Recruit MK-2 on him and nothing else. No problem to reach 55 with that. My main had old level 50 purple stuff with augments. Easy-peasy to hit 55. 2 other alts were solely leveled to 55 with space missions. There are plenty of ways to get to 55 without any need of e. g. 66 gear pieces, really.

I've seen this some recently as well. I was in a HM Directive 7 with a healer who was wearing greens and blues in the 30s and 40s. She was complaining about how hard it was and didn't think we'd be able to finish the FP. I suggested she might want to gear up some before jumping into a level 50 HM FP. Her response was "Don't be a d**k, this is story mode." Please keep in mind that I was on my level 55 sniper and the group was done through GF. I can't queue for story mode FPs anymore. Just strange. Edited by AMulls

My personal an anecdotal evidence regarding gearing up at 55 now.

My first two characters, DPS VG and Shadow, has been running OPs at 50 prior to the expansion and were pretty much BiS 61/63s augmented. Makeb was no issue, leveled 50-55 and started the 55 HM FPs and Ops.

Since then I've leveled a Sentinel and Scoundrel from 50-55, who were not geared out prior to 2.0 and their gear..is well pretty awful. My sentinel is still in Tionese (yay free Tionese at 50) level gear (with some legacy pieces from my VG/Shadow) and my Scoundrel is slowly getting 69/72 legacy gear pieces as well. So it's a work in progress.

My personal issues regarding the 51-69 level gear (I know some people were in even worse gear than that in your HM 55 FP, and I personally know better than to join a GF HM 55 FP on either of those two characters) are:

Neither my sentinel or scoundrel (because I tried to power level them to 50 through 2x exp and grinding) don't have many planetary comms, and very few classic/basic comms. During the comm conversion I was able to pick up a few 66 pieces (barrel/hilt/mods) with my Shadow/VG because I had stored BH comms.

I didn't level from 50-55 in a way that encouraged gearing up, and I bet a lot of pugs don't either. I'm sure if I really wanted to I could get other guild members to group up for EV/KP/EC for 61/63 gear drops, but at 55, I can't queue up for those via GF. I could also run lvl 50 FPs for a drop or two...but I've been doing those forever and the idea is not personally appealing.

So I'm now lvl 55, my gear is pretty meager, sure I've picked up some planetary comms, have Rakata lvl type gear, and know I should gear out in 61/63s to then be able to gear up in 69s. But I know I'm going to have to grind comms/55HMs FPs to get BM/Arkanian gear/elite comms anyway, so why grind twice? It's kind of a daunting proposition, and I'm just thankful I can legacy over gear with elite/ultimate comms that are more or less useless on my main(s) now.

But if I didn't have mains or a guild, I don't know if I could run 50HMs to gear up then run 55HMs to gear up again.

I think a lot of people ignore that the most efficient way to gear is run 50HM FPs and Ops while leveling from 50-55. And not simply focusing on leveling 50-55.

I haven't run 55 HMs for a long time because I haven't really needed to but I started again this week in hopes of getting the new Desler drop. What I'm seeing is surprising and, honestly, a little sad. Why does it seem like people don't upgrade their gear unless it's a 69? These are some of the players I encountered in 55 HMs yesterday:

Healer - in full Tionese

Tank - Combination of Columi and Rakata with some crappy blue mods mixed in. My Sorc DPS had about 10k more health.

Earpieces, implants, relics - nobody even seems to care about upgrading these anymore. I saw someone wearing a level 25 earpiece!

Hardcore players are leaving, or have left the game in general. The game has many more casual players, and I would expect that was a group of casual players going where they did not belong.

HM is the domain of Hardcore players IMO.

Hardcore players are leaving, or have left the game in general. The game has many more casual players, and I would expect that was a group of casual players going where they did not belong.

I disagree.

NiM is the domain of Hardcore players. HM is the domain of the slightly-casual.

Hardmode is kind of a misnomer here just as "heroic" was in WOW. It's really entry level content, particularly in flashpoints where there (until the CZ moon at any rate) is no other option.

If you think that people are undergeared for lvl 55 HM FPs, just wait till you do Operations. You are in for a suprise! God knows how many times I've joined a lvl 55 operation where there are several people with 20k health (meaning they haev crap gear). One tank even had 18k healh - how is that possible for a lvl 55? Edited by HBCentaurion

iv'e noticed this too over the past 2 weeks or so. I really don't get it though. My new fresh 55 tank got around 164 basic comms by just doing all of makeb and 2 cz-198 weekly's. Plus obviously 3 x 66 purple armor pieces from the rewards. So why are these people not gearing up even the 66 blue armor pieces are better than 61 / 63 's , so gear up people it isn't difficult at all. Really hate checking peoples gear at the beginning of a FP's. This is especially bad when doing the 2 new cerka fp's , they basically won't get done unless you have at least 66 blue's or higher , in fact it's so bad iv'e unchecked those 2 HM FP's until I feel like risking wasting my time yet again , two and a half hours the other night in and out of failed czerka fp's.

I even think elite and ultimate gear isn't really much better than basic 66 purples with blue mk-9 augments in about 8-11 pieces that only costs 1.2 mil or so to do. Obviously the wristband , belt and offhand elite pieces are ok but not much better than the 66 purple.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

I think the primary issue here is the either intentional or unintentional item squish they did for this expansion.

If you had even columni or even rakata gear, there wasn't much in the way of questing OR heroic upgrades to attain throughout the level grind process from 50-55. I was honestly astonished what I saw having come back to the game just recently after a 10 month hiatus.

You can't expect much in HM Flashpoints because these are the flashpoints people play catch up on to get to operations. With the amount of gear that drops from these bosses, you are either very lucky to get your Black Market drops, or you have sold your soul to a demon to get them. All I ever see is Bounty Hunter gear drop.

A couple of thoughts. Getting through Makeb in campaign or Rakata wasn't too hard. Most people can finish Makeb in basic gear or less, some before hitting 55. Casual F2p players may be doing this.

I have two main toons, both DPS. Once I finished Makeb I just did HM Ops (KP, EV, a little bit of EC) and HM 55 FP. (to include the new Czerka ones). That has gotten both toons to all Black Market/Verpine gear. I am finding I am somewhat capped here and progress is slow. The main reason is I am not on enough to do TFB and S&V ops even in SM, and this is where the higher gear tokens drop. I try to make those runs in my guild but the timing is way off for me. So, I am stuck trying to catch those ops in PUG mode. More often than not, groups do not want me because I am not familiar enough with those ops and they only want "people who know the fights." It is getting somewhat better, but I still have yet to fully complete either of these 55 level ops. I think the main reason for lack of gear, at least for me, is inability to run ops consistently. I am going to have to try pugging TFB and S&V via group finder.

Having said that, last night I was in Hammer Station HM, and within 5 minutes two healers rage quit because the tank was in 50 gear (PVP) even though he was at 55, and dying quickly. Everything went fine after a new tank and healer showed up.

I dunno my merc is 49 and I have had a full set of 69's & 63's in his cargo hold as soon as I made him. Just ready for 55 then it will be straight to TFB &SNV.

It's not hard to gear once you get one toon into 69's eventually you will have more comms than you know what to do with and start putting your companions in 69's lol or make another alt and buy them gear.

I think a lot of people ignore that the most efficient way to gear is run 50HM FPs and Ops while leveling from 50-55. And not simply focusing on leveling 50-55.

I waited for 2 hours today for a 50HM FP before I logged out after getting tired of waiting. That's not an efficient way of leveling.

A couple of thoughts. Getting through Makeb in campaign or Rakata wasn't too hard. Most people can finish Makeb in basic gear or less, some before hitting 55.

You're supposed to get through Makeb in level 49 Armorings and Mods, and mostly blue ones.

At most in Tionese, or a mix of Tionese and blues.

That's how the gearing system is set up. If you entered in Campaign, the drops you find on would be useless.

66 blues, the "good stuff" you find on Makeb, are a rating of 144, while Campaign 61's are 146. Occasionally you'll find 148 rated customs, but they don't equal Campaign with its bonus.

Basic gear is 156 and should be what you get after you finish Makeb.

That is for expected level, of course. I first set foot on Makeb as level 54.

So why are these people not gearing up even the 66 blue armor pieces are better than 61 / 63 's

They're not.

63 is rating 150, versus 144 or 148 for blue 66.

A competent player in 61/63 gear - e.g. a Campaign set with Hazmat mods but not armorings - is ready for all content short of Hard Mode 55 operations. Emphasis on "competent". With less skill, 66 purples are adequate. No blue main pieces are something players in 61/63 gear should bother with.

Blue RotHC implants, earpieces and augments are however superior to level 50 purples.

Edited by B-Dick

Healer - in full Tionese

Maybe its the server your on? I run alot of flashpoints and the only issues I run into are newbies who never played the SM mode FP and then try the HM at 55 and don't say anything, or having players not geared correctly for the HM55FP optional boss, but that is optional and they are doing the FP in the first place to get better gear most likely (not like they need xp)

It's kind of idiotic if you think about it. 66 blue mods are dirt cheap. No one actually sells any of the blue 66 gear for over the default GTN value. You can get gloves, boots, belt, etc, for 35k each. Also, crafting artifact 66 gear is easy too. There is no reason a new level 55 shouldn't be in at least blue 66's. They're either fresh off of the turnip truck and are putting their gear together, or they're lazy as hell and are trying to get people to carry them through content.

Most of the time it's pure ignorance. That's why people have been arguing either for a gear check (in various flavors) or at least for group finder's recommended gear rating to be more visible or right in the face, instead of only visible to those who actively look for it.

Corellia / Belsavis dailies or pvp will get you there fairly quickly and require no gear upgrade beyond what you've listed.

It's kind of idiotic if you think about it. 66 blue mods are dirt cheap. No one actually sells any of the blue 66 gear for over the default GTN value. You can get gloves, boots, belt, etc, for 35k each. Also, crafting artifact 66 gear is easy too. There is no reason a new level 55 shouldn't be in at least blue 66's. They're either fresh off of the turnip truck and are putting their gear together, or they're lazy as hell and are trying to get people to carry them through content.

Exactly. People don't need to be all decked out in 69 gear for these but it's pretty easy to have at least blue 66 mods in everything.

It's a mixture or uninformed people and bolster mentality.

Since you can get to lvl 55 with whatever gear you are given as quest rewards people expect to be able to do HM with said gear without actually checking the rating recommended.

In the case of bolster they assume that since they queue to get into the FP their stats will be increased to effective lvls, I remember a tank with 14k health wondering when bolster was going to kick in...

This game is very simple to gear for, specially in a PvP server, lvl 1-19 whatever crap you can get from rewards, lvl 20 PvP gear lvl 21-24 whatever crap they give you, lvl 25-35 upgrade your orange set of armor with commendation mods or commendations gear, lvl 40 PvP set, lvl 41-45 commendations/rewards, lvl 46-50 nothing save your commendations for lvl 50, lvl 50 full Makeb gear (you might need to do Heroic for a bit if you don't have multiple toons).

After that get blue earpiece and implants lvl 53 which are usually dirt cheap (even more so since CZ-198) and full PvP set at lvl 55 (have the max number of commendations ready at lvl 54 and all dailies and weekly finished so you can buy 2 pieces as soon as you hit 55) and you're good to do HM FPs, once you have full 162 gear you can move into OPs and so on...

Getting a full set of PvP gear is simple, just a bit time consuming, we get commendations whether we win or lose and we get dailies and weeklies.

63 is rating 150, versus 144 or 148 for blue 66.

A competent player in 61/63 gear - e.g. a Campaign set with Hazmat mods but not armorings - is ready for all content short of Hard Mode 55 operations. Emphasis on "competent".

This is something I think a lot of people in the game don't realize, and do not pay attention too. I took a break from the game and came back right before RotHC hit, and my 2 main 50s (Healer and DPS), one with full Rakata and the other with a mix of Black Hole and Campaign gear. I started to gear back up and noticed as I started to craft and gear up in 66 purple crafted and 69 mods from gear drops, that people would see my 66s and say I wasn't gear enough for some of it. However, if you compare some of the 69 mods to the 66, some of the 66 mods are better stat-wise depending on spec. Yet people only look at the number of the mod to determine if you can handle it or not.

Granted, like the OP, someone running a lvl 55 FP (SM or HM) with green 40s is rather undergeared, but I remember at launch running 50 HM FPs in a mix of orange moddable gear from quest rewards with maybe lvl 45-48 lvl armorings as I fought for getting Tionese and Columni gear. They were hard back then :) There are 2 parts of this issue: 1) People who don't understand the gear level required, but also 2) people who are geared and think they understand it, but generalize way too much and want the game on easy mode even in a HM. They just want to go into a FP, run through it like SM and expect it to be a cake walk. You want that, don't use GF, but get into a guild and only run with guildies.