I miss Star Wars Galaxies :(

GolgoThirteen

SWG did a lot of things right, and lot of things wrong, mostly due to the fact that LA and SOE did not listen to the established player base, but instead listened to a small vocal minority that , coupled with LA coveting the sucess of WOW, brought about the NGE (and the most hated of all classes..the ever cloaked spylol).

The game still had life in it, and could still go on. In the six months when they announced the sunset, a number of things we all wanted for years were added.

Atmospheric Flight - along with Air combat and Ground /Air, Air/Ground combat

Improving the GCW to make it more meaningful.Too bad they did not fully put out GCW2 befor ethe end, but what other game would a dev team still be tossing out enhancements as the clock begins to strike midnight?

Neither Trek Online nor SWTOR offers the big package that would keep players engaged for as many years as SWG did. But ...SWTOR is still a young lass, and it has the potential to be a great game, given that EA and LA give BW the opportunity to fully explore this games full potential as a long-lived revenue stream has to offer.

Succeed or fail..its up to them.

Edited by Guian

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG gameplay was the definition of grind and treadmill. Some people like logging in, spending a few hours doing stuff running a store , mining, ad nauseam, not being a Jedi or anyone really important.

Most do not.

I understand why people miss SWG. It's like will never be seen again.

And no, I disliked it.

WAHHHH!!!!!!! NGE KILLED MY GAME WAHHHH!!!!!!!!!

**** seriously, if you left SWG after the NGE you arent an SWG player and you dont belong here, SWG players gave 8 year of their lives, to guilds, heroics, pvp, space, crafting, entertaining, harvesting, brokering, and Roleplaying or among the other millions of things to do in that game. I always here people complain about the NGE ok we get it was a bad move, but you cant sit back and say SOE deserved to fail be cause people whined about something like a bunch of children. I played Pre-CU/nGE and Post NGE and you know what after a month or so of getting used to it i would never go back. NGE was fluid brought an updated feel to a game that previously was mediocre at best. 8 years people gave their lives and stand here saying if it was still round or brought back they would go in a second including me. There was no reason to close it in the first place and with the series in 3D re-releasing PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY A GAME BASED ON THAT ERA!! Galaxies and SWTOR could have coexisted so easily they are 100% different games with different goals.

Anyway to the 8 year players from beta to the end I salute you, From the sands of Mos Eisley to the floating bridge in Dathomir we stood strong, Through battles on Yavin and Rori we remained vigilante, and when the Capitol ships came under attack we took to the are to defend our factions. 181st 501st against unrelenting rebel fighters we fought our war with pride. For the empire, For freedom!

I have read many of the posts in this thread and tend to agree. The player cities, guild hunts, etc. were all top notch in my book. But the one thing I miss the most and no other MMO has yet to do it again was the fact that with enough time and effort you could achieve that special class that allowed you to do so much more. Yes, I am talking about becoming a jedi. I still recall how psyched eveyone was when it was confirmed that you could be come a jedi and when the first jedi appeared it was like the world was turned upside down. Totally an awesome experience that SWG brought to the table and its unfortunate that no others have even put forth a real attempt at duplicating the format. Perhaps someday these cookie cutter MMOs will vanquish and an SWG like game will come emerge.

I miss logging on to empty servers.....having bugger all to do and no one to talk to....inclusion of quests where I encounter zombies!......logging on set times to bash mobs in city invasions just for something to do....yup I miss it......NOT Edited by Tsukuni

I have read many of the posts in this thread and tend to agree. The player cities, guild hunts, etc. were all top notch in my book. But the one thing I miss the most and no other MMO has yet to do it again was the fact that with enough time and effort you could achieve that special class that allowed you to do so much more. Yes, I am talking about becoming a jedi. I still recall how psyched eveyone was when it was confirmed that you could be come a jedi and when the first jedi appeared it was like the world was turned upside down. Totally an awesome experience that SWG brought to the table and its unfortunate that no others have even put forth a real attempt at duplicating the format. Perhaps someday these cookie cutter MMOs will vanquish and an SWG like game will come emerge.

I miss it too. The complexity made up for the lags.

I played on Eclipse since pre-cu. I started my jedi trials just before NGE came out. And when that happend it became a 9(?)-class MMO and jedis where all over the place. That was the death-day of SWG.

I have to admit everytime I see the Binary Sunset in Star Wars Episode IV, I really start missing SWG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEUGF3NGbPg

I don't want to compare SWG to SWTOR, they are both great games, but when I think of SWTOR and SWG my left eye is shining with joy for SWTOR and the other one is crying to the loss of SWG (PRE-CU).

I also miss swg alot- i played since beta when there were no mounts or space and I unlike many liked some of the changes that came with the nge...

the pvp, the open worlds, player economy, crafting, housing, hunting other players, space, pob ships etc.... were the best

but the absolute best thing about swg was the community.... i see alot of players having problems grouping in swtor but even though swg had alot less players there was never a problem grouping- i played on starsider and europe infinity and as soon as i logged in i had multiple group invites as well the players were very helpful in swg....

Edited by Ashivauto

I miss it too, including the NGE
I don't. SOE can kiss my white dominican culo. They screwed the game up from the get go. They pretty much planted the game's death with the NGE. The game did have some inovative ideas when it came to matrial harvesting and crafting, but that was pretty much it. Ideas Bio/Ea should look into, but that's just my 2 creds. Edited by apatah

The crafting was terrible. Nothing like wasting a few hours flying from planet to planet sampling all the resources just to find out where the best one was for the moment and on top of that needing multiple things just to create an item that you needed to create another.

you think crafting was terrible for exact the same reaons most people think it was AWESOME? weird...

The term your looking for is heretic by the way, and I disagree I played both and the pre-CU was a total grind fest and was a pain in the *** the NGE brought better changes and made it more entertaining, most ppl who hate the NGE are just pissed off cuz the game changed, if you don't like change I feel sorry for you because every day the world changes and you must be in constant pain.

No..... and ALL people that loved NGE lie about knowing what their talking about my elder Jedi was earned. the system was perfect when jedi was unlock not just another class to roll on.

Time and effort = a nice reward to become jedi, every little star wars boys dream.

this was not intended as a hate reply and i have the upmost respect for all you fellow SWG guys, but change isnt always for the better....

hence SWG isn't here anymore....

peace out!

Edited by CJxUK

• 1 month later...
I rather like SW:TOR, but I really miss SWG.

I miss my bio engineer/creature handler and my teras kasi/pistoleer. I miss finding the best spots for my mining rigs and crafting über items. I miss crazy world PvP and going to cantinas and chatting then tipping the entertainer and heading out into the wastes. I miss player cities.

I don't miss the NGE.

Anyway, misty eyed nostalgia over with. See you on the galactic battlefields.

It's been over six years.... It's time to let the pain go! :t_tongue:

The only thing I miss is the vast customization options for clothing appearance. Can't find the right clothes for the casual wear that I want anywhere! I need something elegant and formal, not extravagant and covered in spikes or feathers. And in the right colors too. Edited by Lyer

The only thing I miss is the vast customization options for clothing appearance. Can't find the right clothes for the casual wear that I want anywhere! I need something elegant and formal, not extravagant and covered in spikes or feathers. And in the right colors too.

See, SWG pre-cu with the good things that came later, like the appearance slot system would be better than just pre-CU SWG.

My stories are endless with swg and i wish i could say them all. all i would really like to do is meet up with again is my old best pal Feeto from swg, we had guild battles together and went through everything together and just recently, i realized that the game got shut down for good because i left the game when it started to become dead. almost braught a tear to my eye...but i thank swtor everyday for making a new star wars mmorpg. i mean swtor pretty much evolved swg into something new and better (in most cases) swg will always be better than swtor in its own ways and so will swtor. but i will miss all my adventures and friends...but now...things are getting even more epic!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.