I miss Star Wars Galaxies :(

GolgoThirteen

swg

the most god awful terrible game that i enjoyed playing

sense of community really sold you the game if nothing else. that old horse had to be put down so lets be honest. over the course of its lifetime, the only thing that game did right was crafting, and they ended up getting rid of it (the parts that made it good).

rip swg

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played SWG up to pre-cu then quit. I was a Creature Handler/Combat Medic. The things I miss the most are player housing, crafting, the hybrid classes I could create. My pet rancor. Cantinas filled with entertainers and bands.

The holocron grind to become a Jedi. The fact that Jedis could be hunted down by Bounty Hunters. I remember being in a group and we were fortunate enough to actually have a Jedi with us, except that halfway through our mission, a BH shows up over the hill and the Jedi says, "aw crap..." and runs off to fight. We had to sit around for almost 20 minutes before the Jedi returned to continue helping us out. That was awesome.

Hunting nightsisters and continually getting pwnd by them. Incurring lots of wounds, so our Master Scout would throw down a camp to fix us up while the entertainer rebuffed us.

I spent hours decorating my house. I remember guild parties on our ships and mock weddings. My brother kept a huge excel spreadsheet of resources he had found and experimented with to find the best combination to make uber armor. I remember my Master Doc toon and the lines of people standing outside Mos Eisley Spaceport waiting to get buffed and making a killing doing it. Or simply go to work , so to speak, in the medical centers on my doc to heal injuries and remove wounds.

Yes the game had many, many bugs. Driving or walking through player cities was a pain. (slingshot rubberband lag), the mobs were erractic, combat mechanics were iffy, to name a few. However, I didn't much care about any of that because the other things the game had to offer far outweighed the annoyances I had to deal with.

Personally I hated the game, but different strokes for different folks. The housing was cool and that was about it for me. Well, I did like that there was an entertainer class. I thought that was kind of cool.

I like Bioware's style. I like all their games, except Dragon Age, which I could never get into. But then again I'm more into questing and the storyline. I'm not really too interested in PvP or crafting or just walking around aimlessly.

the last time i played this game was when i was 15/16, and im 21 now. it was my first MMORPG and being a star wars fan made it that much more special.

i quit after the NGE as the one thing i didnt like was that i couldnt make a character that could be anything i wanted him to be.

i hate this concept where i have to choose a class and that determines what he/she looks like and can do. i changed proff's so many times but could never take away creature handler, nothing like going to moss eisley and summoning my massive rancors and making them do tricks in front of impressed new players to the game.

also the community system was great, im a good 10 mins from the nearest city/outpost and some player comes running to find me asking me if i can train their pet to be mounted. everyone was so friendly.

also when i first became sensitive to the force, some 'old man' comes from a mist that suddenly surrounds me and gives me co-ordinates to the jedi village. awesome memories!

and the space combat, i loved it! i have a friend who im playing swtor with and never played SWG, im trying to explain to him that the space combat was amazing, that if i had a larger spaceship, you could jump in and man the turret while i fly etc..

anyway im blabbering on, i do enjoy SWTOR and its system but its nothing like SWG :(

I love all of you!!!

I thought I was the only one that missed SWG.

The concept behind the game is what made it so great. Open world, open classes, open storyline (player crafted), open player driven economy and open player driven politics...it was a true RPG. The only other MMO I've played close to creating an actual open RPG environment is EVE Online.

Unfortunately, we are a niche group of players. The average everyday MMO player wants to be given direction in everything they do.

i was never able to play SWG, when I got to the point of being able to, the game was long dead because of that NGE thing they had implemented. from what I read, saw on youtube and heard from former SWG players, that game would've been my dream come true. i'm fairly sure i would enjoy it a lot more than swtor.

TOR is an RPG, where you play the role of the Sith Warrior, Inquisitor, agent, Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, etc. your not experiencing your own story, you don't really have any choices.

i find this very true.

i was never able to play SWG, when I got to the point of being able to, the game was long dead because of that NGE thing they had implemented. from what I read, saw on youtube and heard from former SWG players, that game would've been my dream come true. i'm fairly sure i would enjoy it a lot more than swtor.

If you enjoy a sandbox style RGP, then yes you would've loved it!

Everything was a template from your character class to your storyline. You could go where ever you wanted when you wanted.

Character progression was based on what you wanted to do. You leveled crafting professions by crafting, you leveled social professions (musician/dancer/etc) by going to cantina's and socializing, you leveled fighting professions by grinding mobs/questing.

As a player you could help to make decisions that affected your server. Choices were not based on choosing dialogue. They were based on your actions leading to the importance of various entities:

Guilds mattered as they were largely the political backbone of every server, giving meaning to PvP and inter server guild wars.

Crafters mattered as they were largely the economic backbones of every server. Most every item in game was crafted.

Socializing mattered, as it not only gave you buffs before venturing out to the wild but it was also a great way to make underground connections and to catch wind of the latest scoops on what's been going on politically.

In it's essence, SWG was largely a player driven game.

Things went sideways when SOE decided they wanted a larger piece of the MMO pie and started to move toward a WOW MMO model. The changes started with the 'Combat Upgrades' and lead to the game killing 'New Game Enhancements'.

Comparatively:

-SWTOR is similar to KOTOR with a monthly subscription.

-SWG was more similar to Elder Scrolls (think Skyrim) with a greater degree of freedom in choices, meaningful multi-player interaction, and decisions that globally affected the server.

Unfortunately, the sandbox MMO genre such as EVEOnline, SWG, etc. is a niche market.

Edited by XoChineXo

The only feature I really miss from SWG is player cities. There was nothing cooler than hanging with your guildies in the guild's city, waiting for an enemy guild to roll up on you.

I guess I also miss open world PVP that was actually worthwhile as well.

Never played more then a few hours, discouraged by the players (who were not friendly) among other things.

I could have dedicated time to learning how, but it appears *not* doing so was a better idea

Edited by Eclio

/sigh; /wipeEyes;

I miss it too. I played it from day two untill it went under. Kind of off and on after NGE though. I held its hand in the end as I would a friend as it drifted into "Connection to the server lost" :(

Edited by Malefik

I was in the early beta for SWG. And I played it for a few months after it came out, and picked it back up again for a few months after that. Do I miss it? Like terminal cancer. It was the most lifeless MMO I had the displeasure of playing. Most of my time was spent getting missions from terminals to kill vermin, checking my drills for minerals, and setting up my vendor that no one would buy off of anyway.

It had no direction, and no story. It was just a big empty sandbox without the sand. Just a vast stark nothingness with nothing to do.

Edited by Hollow_Masque

There will never be another SWG type of game (not a high production one at least.) The MMO sphere has become a casual arena so developers are going to cater to that. 95% of MMOs at this point are going to be an on rails experience just like WoW. You will have some outliers such as Eve but that is more of a political simulator than anything. Long gone are the days of MMORPGs, they are now MMOGs, there is no roleplaying, you are the role the game tells you, you do what the game tells you, and by god you better not interfere with someone elses on rails experience, even if this is a pvp server.

I was in the early beta for SWG. And I played it for a few months after it came out, and picked it back up again for a few months after that. Do I miss it? Like terminal cancer. It was the most lifeless MMO I had the displeasure of playing. Most of my time was spent getting missions from terminals to kill vermin, checking my drills for minerals, and setting up my vendor that no one would buy off of anyway.

It had no direction, and no story. It was just a big empty sandbox without the sand. Just a vast stark nothingness with nothing to do.

There was plenty of sand and and abundant life in SWG. In fact they were literally the lifeblood of the game.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy the experience, but that's what is expected when you play a true MMORPG the same way you play a typical MMO. According to your post you played it like a typical MMO. There's no reason you should have only been running terminal quests, checking your drills and not selling anything. You were "railing" an open world experience. Just spending some time in the cantina would've definetely netted you a much better experience.

As stated multiple times SWG did not have rails, it was about the freedom to make choices and do as you please. You were responsible for creating your own story, making connections, socializing, immersing yourself in the game. Unfortunately it is not a concept that caters to a majority of common players.

In my experience, the sense of community in sandbox (eg. SWG/EVE Online) games have always far outweighed typical MMO's. Today's typical MMO' will allow you to solo through most of the content while paying a monthly subscription. Do to the lack of "rails" sandboxes require a multiplayer experience to enjoy most of the content.

To say you did not enjoy your experience is fair. To say the game did not have "life" or "sand" is simply an untruth.

You must have played on a very low pop server...or if your first few sentences didn't contradict it, in between the CU and NGE lol...

That's your opinion though. /tipcap

I miss SWG like hell too...mostly Pre-NGE, but I was there the last day and it was still hard. I've been slowly leveling in TOR..been through 22 levels on my main so far, and while I like certain features that SWG never had like the story driven cut scenes and, at least right out of the gate, space flight, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

TOR is pretty damn cool, but IMO from a straight experience standpoint, it's no SWG.

Godspeed, old friend...

Heathen. NGE killed the game. But I still respect you ;)

SWG was always broken, it was the player base that cried out for the first NGE in the first place, then cried out when we got it.

The community was the only thing that made SWG work because it was nearly always broken in most areas.

I also miss the game, however I said my goodbyes to it long ago. I would occasionally stop back in and visit Bria and my many houses and it was always fun to see people and places again. The large open world and space travelling, the guild cities, the cantinas, the ability to have and fill a home or ship with things you gathered from across the galaxy there was so much that was good and fun in that game.

But saying that I would be remiss not to also say that I find this game to be incredible. It's giving me the experience of living out a Star Wars tale in a very new and unique fashion, one that SWG for all it's good points simply could never provide. I'm very hopeful that space and the planets will in time open up. I hope they adopt a more real and open world feel and incorporate day/night cycles into the game given time.

I love this game, and the story is compelling and fun. At level 38 already though, I am worried about the long term enjoyment of the game. The lack of customization and the lack of an open world/space really seems shortsighted to me as a gamer. How long will the other options in the game keep me interested? I'm not sure. I do hope however BioWare will keep the new content and options coming. Because everything they have provided so far is to me amazing.

I played SWG for a few months before and after the NGE. As a player that came in much later, all of the guilds were very standoffish and it was hard to get into the community as I didn't know anyone in the game and couldn't get anyone to help me out with missions or anything. Then after the NGE, there were more and more ghost towns and people with vendors who had stuff for obscene amounts of money for relatively low level stuff. I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to bugs and flaws for things like community and overall experience, hell I played FFXI for 5 years, but I think SWG might have been the most cliquey game I ever played. =/ Wish I could have experienced what you guys did.

Just spending some time in the cantina would've definetely netted you a much better experience.

I did stand around doing nothing in Cantinas also. There was little else to do in the game. They were filled with entertainers grinding their skill tree and little else. Hardly what I would call an enjoyable experience.

You were responsible for creating your own story, making connections, socializing, immersing yourself in the game. Unfortunately it is not a concept that caters to a majority of common players.

See, that is just a bunk excuse from developers who are too lazy to actually make content.

I like SWTOR, and it can only get better.

But.... I too miss SWG. I played on Kettemoor and it had a fantastic community. Always had a good time when I logged on. Some of my highlights:

-Right when the game came out I needed a new computer to play. The sales guy at the end asked 'Hey, you heard of SWG? Yah, that's why I'm buying the computer. Sweet, look me up in game and we will quest together'

-Joining a guild for the 1st time.

-creating swgunderwold web forums

-Using the internet to learn how to play sabacc, making a home made deck and hosting a tourney in game. Was tipped as the dealer!

-Being a smuggler and having other people give me 'missions' by taking a shipment to another planet

-Owning a house on Naboo

-Creating stims as a smuggler

What I liked about the game was that I didn't have to quest, I could do what I wanted. It was a good game while it lasted.

I rather like SW:TOR, but I really miss SWG.

I miss my bio engineer/creature handler and my teras kasi/pistoleer. I miss finding the best spots for my mining rigs and crafting über items. I miss crazy world PvP and going to cantinas and chatting then tipping the entertainer and heading out into the wastes. I miss player cities.

I don't miss the NGE.

Anyway, misty eyed nostalgia over with. See you on the galactic battlefields.

There is an emulation of pre cu out there thats quite good, ive played it i just forget the name of it.