I miss Star Wars Galaxies :(

GolgoThirteen

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as I have said before, with other games (including mmo's of all sorts) you play them. they lead you where the game wants you to go. with SWG, you experience it. you make it yours. but i too, am glad to have found TOR. if nothing else, to feel Star wars in an MMO yet again.

You know what I miss?

Being a jedi and then all of a sudden getting attacked by a BH. I've been on both ends. It was awesome...

You'd tell the guy to have him give you 30k credits (w/e it was) or you'd kill him...

Or they would be waiting at a shuttle stop and then you'd attack them right there. Send druids out to find them...

I think it was. You favorite feature of the game. So awesome.. This game will never see that.

If SWG was so great. Why did nobody play it?

I think the outdated gfx didn't help. Also it went through 3 phases. And apparently more ppl like this style game. (rift, wow, swtor) etc

We're the minority liking it.

I just liked that there were other things to do then to just go kill and quest.

One thing I enjoy in this game is the story line. However, that ends at 50 and i'm a very casual player and already at 32. Once it ends, there isn't much to do but pvp and run instances. Perhaps help lower levels with their questing or go hunt the enemy in my pvp server

Swtor: wanna do a war zone or an instance?

Swg: wanna go kill hunt Jedi, kill kryat dragons, find an awesome spot to place these harvesters, unlock a holocron, go destroy rebel PvP bases, build an entire city of houses with economy taxes guild hall and strategic housing placement for PvP tactical advantage, drop swordsman and pick up architect (or one of 36 other professions), Duel Jedi from opposing factions and slay them to gain rank up the Jedi council.,Start a vendor in my house with custom items that nobody else in the galaxy sells, camp the acklay spawn, be awesome!

exactly this, except i mostly played post NGE, so there wasn't 36 professions, but the game was the same.

exactly this, except i mostly played post NGE, so there wasn't 36 professions, but the game was the same.

Heck, you could have been a cook if you wanted to! Or a dancer!!! I remember going to dancers and watching to get buffs. Lol.

You could also marry other players which was kind do of neat

In my opinion SWG had a much bigger star wars feel than SWTOR does...

I was a bounty hunter and I remember walking into a Hutt Palace and seeing all the familiar faces from Return of the Jedi. Talking to Boba Fett and Jabba. The whole world just felt like I was being thrown into the Star Wars Universe with my own story. I love SWTOR very much but in different ways, I will never forget SWG :'(

Mmm, I do miss my Weapon smith....and my Smuggler, and all my good ol' Pets..( was a Beast Master) Defiantly miss the housing the most, and i hope that Bioware adds something similar, I spent a TON of time just trying to get unique things for my guild/city Halls, i mean, once I was lvl 90, it was like, OH MAN, I need to go out ,and find the most expensive things to make my city hall look amazing! Defiantly be nice if they add something along those lines, oh , and you can already have your friends on your ships by the way.. found that out on accident lol...

Heck, you could have been a cook if you wanted to! Or a dancer!!! I remember going to dancers and watching to get buffs. Lol.

You could also marry other players which was kind do of neat

exactly! you could have done all this stuff post NGE, the only part of the game that changed was simplification and consolidation, which people hate.

Watching this post makes me rly happy.

I still say swg is the best MMO i ever play.

Most of all MMOS that are currently airing are just copy.

One of the things i hate a lot in this game is "communication" , the same thing had WoW, there was no communication what so ever, first of all is so STUPID WITh A BIG "S' that republic and empire can chat to each other , whats the point in that , the same thing had wow alliance and horde could speak to each other .

Can somebody explain that to me ?what was the point in that.

Star Wars Galaxies had its place in time.

I will say that Pre-CU was very bad. The game designer made several mistakes in the game. The CU fixed much of the system but was never given a chance. It also did not fix the problem with how the free form player skills could be abused. But in the end it still would not have prevented the bleed in subscribers due to the lack of game company provided content.

The NGE tried to fix both of these things. The addition of many new company provided content and XP for doing quests was a move in the right direction. The elimination of the alpha profession concept was good also. What was bad was the free form profession system into a class system. It went way too far and the developers still continued to let the players drive a never ending cycle of profession changes.

Yes I will miss it, even in the form that it was in at the end. But it's time has passed.

there never was an alpha profession. many a player proved that. just most wanted to be catered to and they got their wish (the CU, then the NGE because people still were not happy), and the eventual downfall of the best MMO ever to date. the game company did not provide the content because that was the point. even said it on the box. it was a sandbox game, which people either can't understand the concept, need direction in a game, or just want the infamous "I win" button. as i have stated before (here and on other forums). you play games. you experience SWG.

I played SWG from 2003 till 2004, and a proud owner of collector's edition. It was my first MMO game, and first real online experience... And damn do I miss it.

I really sucked at playing it, barely made it to first levels (or specializations?) of bounty hunter (but even then using exploit on Talus where you shoot from the balcony, and cats can't get you). I did all the theme parks and had my own home in a cool city on Talus, my own unique story, friends. I didn't really care about lack of quests or a lot of content... I was living the thing, and loved it.

Sadly when WoW and EQ2 came out people left for those games. So when I came back after rather long summer vacation in 2004 most of my friends were gone, the city was empty, house destroyed because I wasn't around to pay the rent. Thats when the game died for me.

Eventually I was coming back every once in awhile, getting cool veteran rewards, trying space... But it just wasn't the same. And with all that NGE stuff, game lost it soul, its special uniqueness. Especially after playing WoW, the whole thing just felt wrong.

Right now I remember SWG as a time when things made much more sense, and I played MMO games for fun, for socializing with people, meeting new friends, discovering fun places, exploring the galaxy. And overall life was much more simple back then...

It's been a long time now... SWG is gone forever. And probably is never coming back. All the friends I've met there are gone. I still remember most of their names but couldn't find them anywhere.

Right now I'm almost lvl 50 in this game. I'm rather enjoying it, but its just not the same. I like SW:TOR, but I don't feel any connection to the game. I feel the connection to my character, since the story is freaking awesome, but thats where my warm feelings end.

And I understand its two totally different games, one is theme-park MMO, another is sandbox MMO... But after WoW, which became like a plague to any MMO game nowadays, we just don't see anything like SWG pre-NGE. And probably never will...

Still I really hope for SWG2, which could be its own thing - sandbox MMO with theme-park elements. Why not? It could take everything from SWG, and add all the new and modern stuff. Just execute it a little better than NGE stuff.. And without taking away all the fun things that pre-NGE had.

Right now I really want to come back to SWG, and experience all the fun I had back in 2003. Meet old friends, see my old home on Talus... Just for 1 minute... Uhh... :( And now with the game completely gone I can't even see the damn login screen with that music, The Force theme, can't login back to my fav Naritus server and will never see my character Petrusha. In fact I think SOE deleted him, because I didn't play for a long time, I tried to log in, and it didn't accept my login info.

This whole situation reminds me of that song by Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone). :D

Anyways it's been a long rant, and wanted to share my sad thoughts on this topic for a few weeks now. I'm not sure what awaits us ahead. Not sure if I continue playing SW:TOR, maybe I'll wait for more new content...

Either way thanks for reading (if you did). And I wish good luck to everybody, especially old SWG veterans, like me.

Petrusha signing out. :)

Rip Corbantis and Flurry. Sucks being new again and after 1 week I've already had 2 rude players who think they are so much better than everyone dissing my ability as a tank. I'm still learning and adapting to it. Not only did I start over a week later after launch I also didnt play during testing unlike some other people.

Some folks need to consider this before spewing xcrap outta their piehole. RIP SWG.

I miss SWG in the sense that I miss that time when the idea of an MMO still included the possibility of innovation. Despite its flaws, SWG had some really solid and interesting ideas and systems. I've not seen a single MMO since that has tried to be as ambitious as SWG was, with the notable exception of CoH - and even then I only credit CoH with bringing unfettered character customization to new heights.

Looking back, sure the harvesting/crafting system was laborious and time-wasting, but the -idea- was amazing. It just needed refinement. It needed the tedium cut out. I'd say the same for virtually everything else that SWG offered - amazing concepts that simply needed more refinement.

Today, when an MMO comes out, you can virtually guarantee that it will be the same car, just with a new coat of paint. It's reached a point where people think that this -is- what an MMO is, by definition. Run to Quest-Giver, accept a quest, run to location and collect items or kill monsters for quest, return to Quest-Giver for reward, rinse and repeat for the sole purpose of improving your combat performance. What SWG did (and some other games, too), was to create other ways of measuring your character that did not revolve around combat performance.

Bioware succeeded in crafting the illusion of an "original trilogy" (notice that everything in the game looks very similar to the original Star Wars, not those detestable abominations that Lucas coughed up later on, DESPITE the game supposedly taking place much earlier - that's not a coincidence). This was kind of them - we don't have to fly around in ships with smooth mirror finishes and befriend the likes of Jar Jar. But it will never be able to create the kind of "persistent world" that many of us would like. It's a Choose-Your-Adventure story book, revolving around combat performance, with a massive-multiplayer option tagging along for the ride. Just take it for what it is, I guess.

SWG Basically had no story. It had some theme parks with a overarching theme and a bunch of pointless grind quests. In the end, the only story for that game was one that you made up in your own head because the dev's couldn't be bothered to fix the glaring bugs in the game let alone put a storyline that affected anything.

Essentially it was a more game-y version of second life with Star Wars grafted onto it. Lots of good idea, horrid execution and essentially no credible game element aside from the sandbox.

This game

This game will lst for me the time ill have to play a nd grind all the proffesions

PvP is boring, broken, buggy

No exploring

No nothing

Funny but thats it

I miss SWG like hell, the battles, the hate, the friends, the fun