I miss Star Wars Galaxies :(

GolgoThirteen

Actually that was the thing that was infact going to happen (well not sure on 2012 or 2013) if we it renewed. SWG was going to start to have a huge graphics revamp and F2P servers (just perminant trial accounts really). Along with other things dealing in space....raid parties stopping you and inspecting you for cargo with a ton of waves entering your ship if you were caught...blockcades around contested worlds....an actuall war....all lost sadly.

Nothing like that was ever mentioned or announced by SOE or LucasArts , never once did SOE say "SWG was going to be F2P" or getting"Updated Graphics" . More SWG players imagination than anything and that all it was . People on FinalFantasy 11 keep saying that as well and nothing from SquareEnix is stating that either .

Really poor thing to do is lie to make your game look like "It could have been better" even though when it came out SWG had probably the Best Graphics and failed to games like Eq1 and WoW who were not as Graphical.

Just to point out that 4-5 Years ago LucasArts decided it was not going to renew its contract with SOE , so to say something was going to happen 2012-2013 is completely a lie and made up .

SOE did not tell you that servers were gonna come down in 2011 because they wished to make somekinda money off the game before it closed. I find it really sad that SWG players didn't even get a year warning from SOE ..........

Edited by mefit

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG was the most complex, interesting, open world MMO I have ever played. Nothing made since has come even close. When you made your character, you got to choose your story. You didn't have to follow a scripted story and go where the devs tell you to go. There were over 30 different professions, and you could mix and match as you see fit. You weren't locked in to a class. You could change your profession at any time. Plus, you didn't even have to be involved in combat if you didn't want to. The crafting system was the best of any MMO. Players could create stores, where NPC vendors would sell their crafted items. You could be a doctor or an entertainer, buffing people.

Every single inch of every planet was open to players, and on most planets you could make your own cities. You could place bases and have those bases be vulnerable to enemy attacks, which meant you had to defend them.

No game has ever come close to the ingenuity of SWG. SWTOR doesn't even come close.

The more I think about it the more I'd rather if we could trade TOR for SWG. Hands down SWG was the better game outside the storyline really TOR doesn't have much to hold anyone too it. I really don't see TOR even lasting half as long as SWG did.

It's funny you look around and see more cries of how much people want SWG back. TOR is just a game, SWG was an experience.

The more I think about it the more I'd rather if we could trade TOR for SWG. Hands down SWG was the better game outside the storyline really TOR doesn't have much to hold anyone too it. I really don't see TOR even lasting half as long as SWG did.

It's funny you look around and see more cries of how much people want SWG back. TOR is just a game, SWG was an experience.

QFE!!!! In TOR, you can choose one of 7 or 8 species, as one of 4 classes. In SWG you could choose from over a dozen species, much more character detail than TOR, and there were over 30 professions, which you could switch around whenever you wanted. TOR is a sad excuse for a Star Wars game.

The honest truth for me is that I missed the players from SWG. SWG had some great ideas but the game itself was a clusterf**k from the get go, reaching a climax of epic FAIL with the NGE. What made me come back to it, with the empty cities and credit spammers, was the fantastic group of die hard fans who were devoted to create and play in as authentic of a star wars experience as they could get. Now does TOR have some problems? Sure, it just came out and is in it's infancy, but let's not delude ourselves here and pretend that SWG is the unobtainable pinnacle we shall never see again. It was the community that made that game.

Let's see if we can get that community going here.

Edited by kickingbc

Actually that was the thing that was infact going to happen (well not sure on 2012 or 2013) if we it renewed. SWG was going to start to have a huge graphics revamp and F2P servers (just perminant trial accounts really). Along with other things dealing in space....raid parties stopping you and inspecting you for cargo with a ton of waves entering your ship if you were caught...blockcades around contested worlds....an actuall war....all lost sadly.

where in gods name do you people get this crap? Nothing like that was EVER even on the drawing board.

it's one thing to like the way it was but to come up with complete and utter lies. come on.

Next you will say Vanguard is going to get a total revamp.

QFE!!!! In TOR, you can choose one of 7 or 8 species, as one of 4 classes. In SWG you could choose from over a dozen species,

No, a whole three more species to choose from.

Human, Twi'Lek, Zabrak, Trandoshan, Mon Calamari, Bothan, Ithorian, Wookiee, Sullustan and Rodian.

That's ten, not 12+

and there were over 30 professions, which you could switch around whenever you wanted.

Except those professions and the 250 point "skill" system wasn't a good enough system for the game. It lasted approximately two and a half years, with one major change already in that time.

TOR is a sad excuse for a Star Wars game.

Many would, and have, said the same of Star Wars: Galaxies.

It's all opinion.

However, SWG isn't around anymore. The reason isn't because of the CU or even the NGE and the reprehensible manner it was introduced to the players.

It's because SOE/LA rolled out a game that wasn't ready, ignoring the reccomendations of many during Beta testing.

Too true. I would definitely play SWG over this. The EMU is entering alpha soon. Hopefully by release it's actually playable, because if it is, I'll never touch TOR again.

Nothing like that was ever mentioned or announced by SOE or LucasArts , never once did SOE say "SWG was going to be F2P" or getting"Updated Graphics" . More SWG players imagination than anything and that all it was . People on FinalFantasy 11 keep saying that as well and nothing from SquareEnix is stating that either .

Really poor thing to do is lie to make your game look like "It could have been better" even though when it came out SWG had probably the Best Graphics and failed to games like Eq1 and WoW who were not as Graphical.

Just to point out that 4-5 Years ago LucasArts decided it was not going to renew its contract with SOE , so to say something was going to happen 2012-2013 is completely a lie and made up .

SOE did not tell you that servers were gonna come down in 2011 because they wished to make somekinda money off the game before it closed. I find it really sad that SWG players didn't even get a year warning from SOE ..........

F2P servers, not the game itself going F2P....

I havent logged into my TOR account in 6 weeks prior to today. With Star Wars Galaxies, I didnt miss a single day in the 2.5 yrs I played the game

With TOR, when I did log in it was...

1. check mail, repost items on market

2. que for warzone

3. check mail, repost items on market

With Star Wars Galaxies, when I did log in it was....

1. check factories

2. post items on your PERSONAL VENDOR INSIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE

3. check to see if resources changed (they had stats)

4. move harvesters

5. hit a cantina to chat up some friends

6. craft a special order with another player's krayt tissue, nightsister shard, or giant dune kimo scale

and if you werent a crafter (keep in mind, in swg crafting wasnt a secondary skill everyone had)....

7. go to coronet for doc buffs

8. go to cantina for mind buffs

9. go hunting.....there were many options and many reasons....

your armorsmith friend needs wooly hide and a great spawn just came in with amazing stats. so off you go to hunt on whatever planet the spawn happened

you want a specially made FWG5 pistol, enhanced with krayt tissues. so off you go to tatooine to hunt krayt dragons.

you want a rare armor set callled RIS and you need 3 specific drops from three rare animals. off you go to hunt

10. build and maintain a player city

11. go into space and enjoy wide open dogfights, hunt for resources, or just visit with friends on your ship

12. pvp, either attacking any enemy player or destroy player owned bases

13. explore, and i mean real exploration. worlds so massive, wide open, no forced paths,and no sharding

14. if you were a bounty hunter, go hunt player jedi...yes actual player bounties in the game

15. go hunt and tame creatures if you were a creature handler

16. trying a new skill. you didnt have to reroll another toon to try a different skill set

17. do quests, yes a sandbox mmo has quests but they are sometimes hidden. you actually have to explore

18. shop players vendors, looking for a variety of weapons, armors, food and drink, regular clothes, spices, etc

I havent even scratched the surface on all the things you could do in SWG. in every mmo ive tried since, its the same boring game at the end. star wars galaxies didnt have an end

why do people not read. google swg emu and you can play it for free and experience everything that everyone else experienced at launch.

Because that game is woefully incomplete and mimics what is quite possibly the WORST time frame for the game as far as how combat mechanics feel. It's not a good example.

It's a good effort, but be honest about what it is before trying to shove people towards it.

Because that game is woefully incomplete and mimics what is quite possibly the WORST time frame for the game as far as how combat mechanics feel. It's not a good example.

It's a good effort, but be honest about what it is before trying to shove people towards it.

now now we talked about this you are one of the very rare people who loved the NGE more. These people are talking about how great it was PRE CU.

Right now SWG EMU is about where it was at launch.

I havent logged into my TOR account in 6 weeks prior to today. With Star Wars Galaxies, I didnt miss a single day in the 2.5 yrs I played the game

With TOR, when I did log in it was...

1. check mail, repost items on market

2. que for warzone

3. check mail, repost items on market

With Star Wars Galaxies, when I did log in it was....

1. check factories

2. post items on your PERSONAL VENDOR INSIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE

3. check to see if resources changed (they had stats)

4. move harvesters

5. hit a cantina to chat up some friends

6. craft a special order with another player's krayt tissue, nightsister shard, or giant dune kimo scale

and if you werent a crafter (keep in mind, in swg crafting wasnt a secondary skill everyone had)....

7. go to coronet for doc buffs

8. go to cantina for mind buffs

9. go hunting.....there were many options and many reasons....

your armorsmith friend needs wooly hide and a great spawn just came in with amazing stats. so off you go to hunt on whatever planet the spawn happened

you want a specially made FWG5 pistol, enhanced with krayt tissues. so off you go to tatooine to hunt krayt dragons.

you want a rare armor set callled RIS and you need 3 specific drops from three rare animals. off you go to hunt

10. build and maintain a player city

11. go into space and enjoy wide open dogfights, hunt for resources, or just visit with friends on your ship

12. pvp, either attacking any enemy player or destroy player owned bases

13. explore, and i mean real exploration. worlds so massive, wide open, no forced paths,and no sharding

14. if you were a bounty hunter, go hunt player jedi...yes actual player bounties in the game

15. go hunt and tame creatures if you were a creature handler

16. trying a new skill. you didnt have to reroll another toon to try a different skill set

17. do quests, yes a sandbox mmo has quests but they are sometimes hidden. you actually have to explore

18. shop players vendors, looking for a variety of weapons, armors, food and drink, regular clothes, spices, etc

I havent even scratched the surface on all the things you could do in SWG. in every mmo ive tried since, its the same boring game at the end. star wars galaxies didnt have an end

Very well said. SWG had elements that no other game has had since. There was so much you could do and that is what kept me coming back time after time. This game is so one dimensional that it wears thin really fast.

I still miss the NGE the way it was... it was quite fun maximizing your storage space in order to provide your guild with a large warehouse... hah.

It was all very fun. I miss it very much. Idk about the emulator coming out, honestly, but I do miss the way things were.

Times do change, however... and this game is what we are offered at the moment. Maybe someday SWG's ideas will be re-explored, especially the themepark/sandbox hybrids bits.

Even the chronicler system was entertaining.

Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted.

Reading some of this really makes me miss certain aspects of my five years with SWG. One thing I really notice is I do not have anywhere close to the same attachment to my character(s). There was a sense of individuality in SWG which I really miss. You could create a singular character, a unique look, a persona... You recognized many toons at a glance just by their look, not by the name tag. The new game is more like watching your toon as an outside observer. And watching a very generic character who looks very much like every other character of that same class at that. It's just very bland to me so far. I'm not invested in it emotionally like I was with SWG. I felt like I was that character on the screen. It was uniquely me. I used to think their whole "your adventure" slogan was a little silly. It makes much more sense to me now how true that catch phrase actually was.

Sounds just like the official SWG to me.

I do miss swg, was a real blow when they announced it was ending to be completely honest. I never got a chance to really play the pre-cu but I did enjoy the NGE enormously. I still have moments of nostalgia for things like my beastmaster medic and his pet, running in my vigo gunship to help guildees gain space exp or just heading into a group of enemies in my fighter and dogfighting to my hearts content. I also miss hanging out in mos eisley with other players, with parking my entertainer in the cantina and giving out much needed buffs to players. I even miss my entertainers clothes macro which often earned me the nickname rainbow man, lol.

Most of all I do miss the sense of freedom I had. The freedom to explore vast planets that make the ones in this game look puny. I miss being able to place my own house and decorate it however I want, I miss being able to hang with friends and guildees, no matter if they were rebels or imperials, and I miss the really awesome mature community that I took part in.

Nostalgia :(

I realy miss the open worlds with plenty of space to explore. I even miss num locking to travel across a planet by speeder while i went to make a coffeee but only to find id stopped on a tree 5 yards from where i set off. I miss the big pvp battles at restuss and I miss the appearance tab and the 3D mutliplayer space combat. I miss joint pve/pvp/rp servers, Even though im a pvper it was nice to walk into mos eisly cantina and see people role playing. Swg's star wars galaxie felt a lot more alive imo than swtor's does. Most of all I miss the music from the char select screen at loggin :)

2 types of players

MMO players - SWG fans, EVE fans etc

Theme Park fans - instant gratifiaction crowd who wants things done for them - WOW, TOR, GW2 and all the rest of the theme park so-called MMOs.

To me this is a shame, the genre is no longer true to MMOs. MMOs used to be about finding adventrue, creating your own adventure. Now its push a button, portal, rush, troll, badge/ratio, no community spirit.

All you got to do is look at this forum. SWGs forum was never like TORs or WoWs, Never.

These kids today think these so-called MMOs are MMOs, not really, there linar games with the ability to collect gear.....meh

Pre-CU, you shall be missed! aswell as the community.

Edited by DigitalPrime

Sounds just like the official SWG to me.

Yeah, 8 years ago perhaps. Not the game that was taken down in December. While it still had bugs, there was no shortage of things to do beyond spin groups and decorating..

Like I've said before, I have great respect for those guys because mimcing the game's server is no small feat, but I think they've taken it in the wrong direction with trying to bring back the launch experience of the game verbatim, both good and horrible.

They've been trying to mimic the beast instead of re-engineer it and make it how SWG SHOULD have been.

Edited by Bluerodian

RIP SWG /cry

As much as I am enjoying this game, the fact that keeps nagging in the back of my mind is what are we going to do to entertain ourselves after we level up? in SWG you and your guild wrote your own story, did your own thing, made your own adventures. PVP was real. Nothing was controlled, there was a real economy that matched real world economic affects.

I keep finding myself missing so many things from SWG as I play this game. The one thing I am happy for is our guild has reconstituted itself after our years of wandering aimlessly after SWG published the NGE. No cantinas to hang out in (not ones that matter anyhow), no banks, no fly wherever you want in space, no travel wherever you want on any planet, no cities, no homes, no guild halls, no shops, no planetary control, no player bases to destroy, no.... well I better stop whining.... there will probably never be another SWG.

Thank God for Bioware and SWTOR.