Profanity filter.

BlaineDoc

The use of profanity within an MMO is a common thing these days. Now there are lot of open debates about this even with the R&Rs in place. Even with the rules there, no gaming corporation has the right to ban or suspend a player for their words. As long as there is an option to prevent this kind of language from being seen within the game. With that being said, when you buy the game, it will say on the back what kind of game it is. Swtor states that it has mild language within its game. Let's take Blizzard as an example: they banned a player for major profanity violations under their R&Rs. That player took them to court and won his case. His whole defense was that when a game is installed, the profanity filter is automatically turned on. It takes multiple clicks to turn it off. When a player turns off a profanity filter, they have no right to complain about any readable chat content that could offend their little eyes. As long as a filter program has been implemented within the core structure of the game, they have no legal right to ban or suspend anyone even when there is a profanity policy in place. Edited by BlaineDoc

I'm fairly tolerant and am known for dropping vulgarities to liven the color of description within the English language.

That being said.........I thought it was a we bit tasteless to see a player on Nar Shadaa last night with the name "Eatad**k Motherf***ers" ................................only the asterisks were not used.

No gaming corporation has the right to band or suspend a player for there words.

Yes they do.

They can ban your account for any reason that is in the rules and they may even change the rules anyway they want. The only thing you can or could do about is is to cancel your subscription.

And before you come up with a some "freedom of speech" nonsense... this game is a privately owned environment not a governmental institution. As such, house rules apply just as much as if you were a guest in my private home (and you can bet, that you are not allowed to say anything you want without getting yourself evicted there).

Lets take Blizzerd as an example. They banded a player for manger profanity violations under there R&Rs. That player took them to court and won his case.

Do you have a link to your source for this? I've not heard of a court case about a ban for ingame profanity let alone Blizzard losing one.

That said the rules (here and other games) are quite clear on what is and isn't allowed. The profanity filter argument you claimed was used as defense can be countered by: The rules clearly say no swearing, he agreed to these rules.

Most mmo's with comparable rules to TOR (and WoW) don't tend to ban for profanity straight off the bat preferring warnings or limited suspensions first giving the player ample time to realise what they're doing and take more care.

That's all very interesting and such but... I really fail to see what the point of this thread is?

I believe the op was trying to get feedback on a topic . Rather than an outright question, I thought he left it to the interpretation of the reader . It was better the way the op said it ,than someone just saying "MMO Profanity - Discuss"

Imagine -

Little Johnny is 15 and wants to play SWTOR soooo bad its killing him but his parents won't let him . He does all kinds of things from getting straight "A"s in school to chores to influence his parents into finally allowing him to subscribe. Having proved his worth, his parents okay getting him SWTOR for his birthday . Being good parents the Father takes an interest and monitors his sons new game over the next week. Johnny and his father are sitting one night while he plays his character on Nar Shadaa when all of a sudden "Eatad**ks Mothaf***er pops out on in front of Johnny doing leaps with his speeder. Father gets one good look at this, makes Johnny delete the game....and thats the end of Johnnys fun for the summer .

Now I have been on since before launch. I have a level 50 Jedi Sentinel, level 36 Trooper Vanguard, Level 33 Consular Shadow, and Level 35 Smuggler gunslinger on the Pub side. On the Imp side I have a level 35 Sith Warrior, and a Level 26 Powertech Bounty hunter. The day I made the Bounty hunter, I had one hell of a time getting the name I wanted to "stick". I got pissed and remembered a joke between friends that was - it would be funny (in a juvenile way) to have a female "Juggernaut" body size, 4 in dancer gear with the name "Normastitz". Out of frustration I made that character thinking there was no way that it was going to fly due to suspected filters. To my surprise , it went through! I haven't played the character but out of reflection and taste accounting I most likely will delete the character for one a little more "Johnnys Father" friendly lol.

Yes they do.

They can ban your account for any reason that is in the rules and they may even change the rules anyway they want. The only thing you can or could do about is is to cancel your subscription.

And before you come up with a some "freedom of speech" nonsense... this game is a privately owned environment not a governmental institution. As such, house rules apply just as much as if you were a guest in my private home (and you can bet, that you are not allowed to say anything you want without getting yourself evicted there).

^This. It's the basic principle of "my house, my rules". They do indeed have every right to limit what you're allowed to do on their private property.

Edited by nateslice

^This. It's the basic principle of "my house, my rules". They do indeed have every right to limit what you're allowed to do on their private property.

I'm here to agree with the guy who's agreeing with the other guy. :rak_03:

Bioware can do as it pleases. if they want to ban anyone for saying ****, *****, ****, ***********, or even ************* ****** ***** ***** that is their right and privilege.

No gaming corporation has the right to band or suspend a player for there words.

Not only that they do have the right, they also have the duty to do that in many of the European countries, because forum/game provider is responsible for the text on the forum/in the game.

For example: If EA the did not ban (or take other action against) the offending player for racist content, they could be legally charged by the victim player who could ask EA for monetary compensation.

Edited by Jedlosson

Imagine -

Little Johnny is 15 and wants to play SWTOR soooo bad its killing him but his parents won't let him . He does all kinds of things from getting straight "A"s in school to chores to influence his parents into finally allowing him to subscribe. Having proved his worth, his parents okay getting him SWTOR for his birthday . Being good parents the Father takes an interest and monitors his sons new game over the next week. Johnny and his father are sitting one night while he plays his character on Nar Shadaa when all of a sudden "Eatad**ks Mothaf***er pops out on in front of Johnny doing leaps with his speeder. Father gets one good look at this, makes Johnny delete the game....and thats the end of Johnnys fun for the summer .

Now I have been on since before launch. I have a level 50 Jedi Sentinel, level 36 Trooper Vanguard, Level 33 Consular Shadow, and Level 35 Smuggler gunslinger on the Pub side. On the Imp side I have a level 35 Sith Warrior, and a Level 26 Powertech Bounty hunter. The day I made the Bounty hunter, I had one hell of a time getting the name I wanted to "stick". I got pissed and remembered a joke between friends that was - it would be funny (in a juvenile way) to have a female "Juggernaut" body size, 4 in dancer gear with the name "Normastitz". Out of frustration I made that character thinking there was no way that it was going to fly due to suspected filters. To my surprise , it went through! I haven't played the character but out of reflection and taste accounting I most likely will delete the character for one a little more "Johnnys Father" friendly lol.

Ok I'm just not seeing it, what's the problem with Normastitz? It may be some pop culture thing I don't get but I really don't get it.

Ok I'm just not seeing it, what's the problem with Normastitz? It may be some pop culture thing I don't get but I really don't get it.

Normas Titz

Enormous breasts.

Edit: It COULD be "very large birds" but I highly doubt any avid ornithologist is going to name a character that.

Edited by Tatile

Not only that they do have the right, they also have the duty to do that in many of the European countries, because forum/game provider is responsible for the text on the forum/in the game.

For example: If EA the did not ban (or take other action against) the offending player for racist content, they could be legally charged by the victim player who could ask EA for monetary compensation.

Which is part of the reason I am glad I don't live in Europe or a country that does this. Especially own a business. I have no issue with a company being responsible for its actions but to live in a perpetual state of walking on eggshells because someone might be offended by what someone else says would drive me nuts. And I say that as someone who is a partial owner in a family business.

Normas Titz

Enormous breasts.

Edit: It COULD be "very large birds" but I highly doubt any avid ornithologist is going to name a character that.

Yeah...a "Jugg"ernaut with size 4 birds in a dancer top.........juvenile yes,..but I have 35 years of experience with that lol!

I really fail to see what the point of this thread is?

I had to read it twice to figure out the point.... it was a crit for 50,000 with bad grammar. :p

I was laughing so hard at some of the words that were used in the paragraph. :D

The silent point I guess was that profanity in an MMO is not enforceable by the game developer, on the basis of one law suit won by one player against one MMO company.

Yes they do.

I agree. Their house, their rules. They reserve the right to refuse service to anyone as long as they do not violate basic civil rights in the process (such as descrimination on the basis of gender or race). Freedom of speech, which gets bandied about a lot by some MMO players, is not a civil right in private commerce. They can ban anyone for profanity, but they cannot just ban some poeple (ie: race, gender, etc) for profanity.

Edited by Andryah

Yeah...a "Jugg"ernaut with size 4 birds in a dancer top.........juvenile yes,..but I have 35 years of experience with that lol!

I hate the Slave-dancer tops in this game. Not because they're revealing, but because they're not bras, they're not even close. You actually run around in those you're going to hurt yourself.

Even in governmental institutions, your speech can be restricted. Try to avoid using the word "bomb" when you're going through airport security, for example.

If the freedom to cuss in a game is important to you, I'd recommend checking out The Secret World. Cussing is allowed there, as long as you're actually communicating and not just spamming general chat with nothing but the F-word over and over again. Oh, and I'm pretty sure racial slurs are forbidden, as are threats. But, yeah, you can get a little salty with your language there.

Edited by nateslice

The use of profanity with in an mmo. Is a common thing these days. Now there a lot of open debates about this even with the R&R's in placed. Now even with the rules there. No gaming corporation has the right to band or suspend a player for there words. As long as there are the options to prevent this kind of language from being seen with in the game. Now with that being said. When you buy the game, it will say on the back of it what kind of game it is. Swtor states that it has mild language with in its game. Lets take Blizzerd as an example. They banded a player for manger profanity violations under there R&Rs. That player took them to court and won his case. His hole defense was. That when a game is installed the profanity filter is Automatically turned on. It takes Multiple clicks to turn it off. When a player turns off a profanity filter. Has no right to complain about any readable chat content that could offend there little eyes. As long as a filter program is Implemented with in the core structure of any game. They would have no Legal rights to band or suspend any one even with there R&Rs in place.

May I recommend you reading this page http://mrlizard.com/rants/grammar-for-gamers/ then re-writing your post so that people can understand it without wasting effort unmangling your English?

Simply because some people think it's acceptable to use f*ck every third word in their day to day language doesn't mean that in an MMO general channel visible to hundreds of people that it should be tolerated or accepted.

I wasn't sure I was going to comment.

On one hand it seems that bad language inexorably leads to bad behavior, and eventually it seems a person HAS to be reported for insulting another player or other game infraction. People that demand the right to cuss don't tend to be the most self responsible folks in my experience.

At the same I personally like the freedom of being able to watch the adult chat from time to time. I like to cuss myself and like to hear others do the same. It adds flavor to speech like nothing else can.

As far as I can tell we do not have that freedom here, though Im not sure just cussing would get you a ban. Cussing at someone probably would though.

Like it should be.

IMO if you are a person that demands you have a right to act any way you wish in chat you are probably the very kind of person the rules were intended for.

The use of profanity within an MMO is a common thing these days. Now there are lot of open debates about this even with the R&Rs in place. Even with the rules there, no gaming corporation has the right to ban or suspend a player for their words. As long as there is an option to prevent this kind of language from being seen within the game. With that being said, when you buy the game, it will say on the back what kind of game it is. Swtor states that it has mild language within its game. Let's take Blizzard as an example: they banned a player for major profanity violations under their R&Rs. That player took them to court and won his case. His whole defense was that when a game is installed, the profanity filter is automatically turned on. It takes multiple clicks to turn it off. When a player turns off a profanity filter, they have no right to complain about any readable chat content that could offend their little eyes. As long as a filter program has been implemented within the core structure of the game, they have no legal right to ban or suspend anyone even when there is a profanity policy in place.

Edited for content.

While legally correct, it should not excuse the player base from having a little class. Then again, this is the internet and there will be people who offend you no matter what policies are in place. It happens in real life, it will most certainly happen here. Using spacing, punctuation, or other means to circumvent a profanity filter, is definatly a violation and should be handled appropriatly. Simple use of profanity, that in no way attempts to circumvent the profanity filter, is showing how low class a person is, but being low class isn't a crime (yet. I'll love the day when it is. :cool:)

Harassing comments are not included in this. Making racial, ethnic, religious, sexual, sexual orientation, age related, gender and other slurs would and should be bannable offences. The other aspect of that is directly harassing or embarassing another player would also be a bannable offence, since you don't even need to swear to do so. The company has the right to apply these as they see fit.

Legally, once you agree to the EUALA and Rules of Conduct policy (you do so when you click "PLAY"), you must follow their policies. As such, you no longer have the right to sue, but must seek recompense through the use of an arbitrator. This was the new policy put in place recently, probably after the Blizzard suit. You should note that in the Rules of Conduct, only the use of profanity on the forums can get you banned. It is not a policy to ban for simple use of profanity within the game, at least by the standards set forth by the RoC.