ETA on Advanced Class change?

At any rate, getting back to the point....would anyone like to truthfully indicate why they want or do not want AC change? I think it would be a nice change from the large amounts of hyperbole that has dominated this thread from both sides of the fence.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"... because you have all just been telling lies up to this point."

...so I am assuming you don't wish to say?

Have they all been telling lies up to this point?

Perhaps folks still have some hyperbole left in them.....

.....some folks are just being downright dishonest about the REAL reasons they are against AC change

.....some folks are trying to argue to change minds

...does not mean ALL there skippy. Some means just that...some.

Are we having fun yet? :)

Edited by LordArtemis

I feel to answer because this is: DOWN RIGHT EVIL.

You tell that people supporting AC Respec are dishonest, how did you get into this conclusion, second and most importantly you displayed your opinion by saying you "Like to make AC be...your class" as if that would be the only real feeling towards the idea on this thread.

Third, AC Respec is in the works and Im sure developers will do it right when they do, maybe years from now maybe in few days who knows, BECAUSE WE NEED IT that is why it will be reality.

Please explain why we NEED to be able to change class (AC) when the opportunity already exists for a player to play that new class (AC) that they want to play, provided they are willing to put forth the effort to level that new class.

Do other games NEED to allow class changes to cater to those who don't want to put forth the effort to level a new character of the class they wish to play?

I feel to answer because this is: DOWN RIGHT EVIL.

You tell that people supporting AC Respec are dishonest, how did you get into this conclusion, second and most importantly you displayed your opinion by saying you "Like to make AC be...your class" as if that would be the only real feeling towards the idea on this thread.

Third, AC Respec is in the works and Im sure developers will do it right when they do, maybe years from now maybe in few days who knows, BECAUSE WE NEED IT that is why it will be reality.

Source?

I do not recall any associated with BW ever saying that class (AC) changes were "in the works".

In WoW, there are two slots for specializations (advanced classes) and three specializations possible with each class, and you can switch between the specs in those slots whenever you wish, for free.

About armor type problem when changing an advanced class - adaptive armor would circumvent that.

Though with the amount of trolling/incompetence already present in the game, with players not playing as their roles in Fps and Ops or not picking appropriate gear for their advanced class, I can see how this feature would just do more harm than help.

Edited by Strajder

In the end it appears some folks are trying to argue to change minds. Putting forth logical arguments that just so happen to fall in with your desired outcome is fine, as long as you are VERY clear as to your motivations.

I think, rather than actually arguing to change minds, people are trying to shout down differing points of view. It was pretty apparent when the discussion turned towards which dev comment was most relevant that neither side had much in the way of a solid argument either for against AC swapping just based on that alone. But how many pages did that take up? A dozen? More? It took 'silly' to a whole new level and gave new meaning to intellectual dishonesty. Just two sides of an argument, frantically grasping for something to shut the other side up.

At this point, it's pretty apparent that neither side is going to change their mind any time soon.

I respect your opinion about AC swapping even if I don't share it. I don't share it mostly because I don't attach the same significance to AC's that most people against AC swapping do.

At any rate, getting back to the point....would anyone like to truthfully indicate why they want or do not want AC change? I think it would be a nice change from the large amounts of hyperbole that has dominated this thread from both sides of the fence.

I do not want it because choices, even in video games, should have consequences. There is no save/redo function in this game.

Advanced Classes, in my opinion, are different classes. A PyroMerc doesn't play like a PyroPT - just like a Madness Sorc doesn't play like a Madness Sin - just like a Lethality OP doesn't play like a Lethality Sniper. I do not have a lot of experience working with the Rage tree, but given that they are both melee DPS, I would be willing to concede that these two AC specs (Jug Rage/Mara Rage) play the most similar.

We are told multiple times during the AC choosing process, and have to manually acknowledge that the choice is permanent.

Because of this, I do not feel that limited Dev time should be devoted to fixing a "problem" that does not exist.

Just as an example....

This....

I do not want it because choices, even in video games, should have consequences.
...and this ........
Advanced Classes, in my opinion, are different classes
. ....seems like something from the heart, a reason to stand against AC change that is very personal. It actually sounds similar to my reason.

However, this......

There is no save/redo function in this game.

A PyroMerc doesn't play like a PyroPT - just like a Madness Sorc doesn't play like a Madness Sin - just like a Lethality OP doesn't play like a Lethality Sniper. I do not have a lot of experience working with the Rage tree, but given that they are both melee DPS, I would be willing to concede that these two AC specs (Jug Rage/Mara Rage) play the most similar.

We are told multiple times during the AC choosing process, and have to manually acknowledge that the choice is permanent.

Because of this, I do not feel that limited Dev time should be devoted to fixing a "problem" that does not exist.

....feels more like a logical argument against to me.

That does not mean that part is incorrect or dishonest, only that perhaps some of us have argued the point so long we cannot avoid listing logical arguments when posting our opinion.

IMO how the game was designed, or how many times they say the decision is permanent should have little to nothing to do with how we feel about AC change. Game mechanics have and will change all the time....but what rarely changes, IMO, is how we feel about an issue.

I hope this demonstrates clearly what I meant. I wanted to see us get to the meat of the issue for us as individuals, and perhaps share some of the personal reasons why we either support or reject the idea. To me, that would be a more genuine discussion.

Here's the deal, none of us, not a one - have hard facts regarding this subject. None of us know:

• How Bioware views ACs currently.
  • If they intend to offer AC respec in the future, if at all.
  • If it is even possible based on how the game handles ACs to change once it is selected.

Therefore, any argument we make, on either side, will be based almost exclusively in opinion. The better arguments will attempt to back their opinions up with logic.

any argument we make, on either side, will be based almost exclusively in opinion

/thread :rolleyes:

Every thread is PURE speculation, until Eric, or his team pops in with that lovely Gold font and says:

Hey Everyone, Good News!

or

Hey Everyone, Just wanted to clear things up (and ramble for a few paragraphs)

Until we see something in Gold... EVERYTHING we say here is based on Outdated information and personal opinion. Period. :)

Please explain why we NEED to be able to change class (AC) when the opportunity already exists for a player to play that new class (AC) that they want to play, provided they are willing to put forth the effort to level that new class.

Do other games NEED to allow class changes to cater to those who don't want to put forth the effort to level a new character of the class they wish to play?

We don't -need- it. We don't need any respecs actually - just reroll (if skill tree respecs weren't an industry standard included with this game at release I think we would be having the exact same arguments about that). We don't need character transfers between servers: just reroll. When you die once, you should reroll. Most of those against AC respec sound like hardcore, fanatical, closed-minded nuts. And I say that as someone that most would call a hardcore nut in this game and probably with more total played time than most of the people in this thread. The difference with me is that I don't think anyone should be forced to do drudgework for what amounts to a skill tree respec (in several other games I could change more about my character with a skill tree respec than I would with an AC swap here). Furthermore, I've never seen a game do well after listening to those championing their drudgework for the sake of drudgework. Rerolling and running the same class quests and rebuilding the same companion relationships and rebuilding all but the same gear sets to make one change to a current character is drudgework; if you like it or don't mind it that's fine (I like it sometimes), but hardcore nuts forcing that on others basically because they have ego problems is what I take a big issue with and will argue against every time.

Edited by Savej

We don't -need- it. We don't need any respecs actually - just reroll (if skill tree respecs weren't an industry standard included with this game at release I think we would be having the exact same arguments about that). We don't need character transfers between servers: just reroll. When you die once, you should reroll. Most of those against AC respec sound like hardcore, fanatical, closed-minded nuts. And I say that as someone that most would call a hardcore nut in this game and probably with more total played time than most of the people in this thread. The difference with me is that I don't think anyone should be forced to do drudgework for what amounts to a skill tree respec (in several other games I could change more about my character with a skill tree respec than I would with an AC swap here). Furthermore, I've never seen a game do well after listening to those championing their drudgework for the sake of drudgework. Rerolling and running the same class quests and rebuilding the same companion relationships and rebuilding all but the same gear sets to make one change to a current character is drudgework; if you like it or don't mind it that's fine (I like it sometimes), but hardcore nuts forcing that on others basically because they have ego problems is what I take a big issue with and will argue against every time.

Im sorry but your wrong and you have a fancy name too.

I'll go ahead and say what I already did:

We NEED this fix, because currently AC is restrictive enough to make you re-roll and the game is not meant to restrict your gameplay, if you re-roll should be for a pleasure of enjoying the game not just for a AC you like.

After saying that:

Anyone against this, is basically apologists of "restrictions" no matter what they are, how they work or even if they are good restrictions. Anyone that enjoys the game and want to futher his/her experience would definetly like this change.

Wait so I should like this idea because it helps people who chose the Wrong AC and don't want to take the time to re level a new char with the right AC?..............NO!

I've re-rolled more then once because I found I didn't like the AC I chose, now would the option of changing my AC on the existing char have been more convenient? Yes immensely more but would it have been more fulfilling then getting to level up the new AC? No not by a long shot.

Edited by Anaesha

Wait so I should like this idea because it helps people who chose the Wrong AC and don't want to take the time to re level a new char with the right AC?..............NO!

I've re-rolled more then once because I found I didn't like the AC I chose, now would the option of changing my AC on the existing char have been more convenient? Yes immensely more but would it have been more fulfilling then getting to level up the new AC? No not by a long shot.

You dont understand its just a game mechanic, quests and everything else is the same for AC's

You dont understand its just a game mechanic, quests and everything else is the same for AC's

Not even close. Running quests on a Sorc DPS is completely different from running them on a 'Sin DPS, if you are actually using the abilities each class has rather than just hitting your pew-pew. The objectives may not differ, but how you achieve them does; for example, stealth. And a Sorc Heal versus a 'Sin tank creates even more differences.

Similarly, Operative versus Sniper (mDPS v. rDPS).

Edited by BuriDogshin

Not even close. Running quests on a Sorc DPS is completely different from running them on a 'Sin DPS, if you are actually using the abilities each class has rather than just hitting your pew-pew. The objectives may not differ, but how you achieve them does; for example, stealth. And a Sorc Heal versus a 'Sin tank creates even more differences.

Similarly, Operative versus Sniper (mDPS v. rDPS).

So what? it also differs from Respec Skill points in different trees, and you dont complain about those...

AC Respec is basically obtaining the rest of the trees to lvl up, I see no real argument against Advanced Class Respec.

Edited by ZahirS

I'm not sure if anyone's posted a response like this, but, why does everyone seem to think this is a bad idea?

Am I unable to re-learn a brand new AC? It wouldn't take more than a day or two at that for anyone.

Aside from that, what difference would it truly make upon everyone else? As an Operative, there's times where I wouldn't mind hanging back and sniping off some bad guys, instead of stab, stab, stab, poison, shock, stab.

That's my take anyway.

So what? it also differs from Respec Skill points in different trees, and you dont complain about those...

AC Respec is basically obtaining the rest of the trees to lvl up, I see no real argument against Advanced Class Respec.

Then you are blind.

There's always this "real argument" against adding or even removing a feature from software:

The developers have better things to do with their finite resources.

Now, what is or is not better is a matter of opinion, but given the list of things the developers could be doing (bug fixes, class balancing, new story content, new ops, raising the level cap, raising the legacy level cap, traditional Jedi robes, and so on and so on) it should be no surprise to anyone that adding the ability to change AC is not high on a lot of people's wish lists.

So anyone saying there is "no real argument" agaisnt AC respec is just plain egregiously wrong.

Im sorry but your wrong and you have a fancy name too.

I'll go ahead and say what I already did:

We NEED this fix, because currently AC is restrictive enough to make you re-roll and the game is not meant to restrict your gameplay, if you re-roll should be for a pleasure of enjoying the game not just for a AC you like.

After saying that:

Anyone against this, is basically apologists of "restrictions" no matter what they are, how they work or even if they are good restrictions. Anyone that enjoys the game and want to futher his/her experience would definetly like this change.

The first half of my text was a bit sarcastic, not sure if you got that but I didn't make it as clear as I meant to. I'm sure the person I was responding to got it.

The first half of my text was a bit sarcastic, not sure if you got that but I didn't make it as clear as I meant to. I'm sure the person I was responding to got it.

Noone but me repsonded to your post, consider my answer down to the point too, because sadly not many people accept they are wrong.

Edited by ZahirS