ETA on Advanced Class change?

A new range of Advanced Classes are released for the existing 8 classes.

This is I'm sure an interesting discussion to be a fly on the wall for. Because the way this game is designed I'm not sure they can introduce new classes because it would require the introduction of new lvl 1-50 class stories including voice work. I'm really not sure they can do that. So for future expansion, where other games can introduce new jobs/classes, this game may have to solely rely on introducing new advanced classes instead.

This then introduces a new discussion when it comes to the question of allowing AC changes. If you allow it then people are not leveling into the new AC. But since the story line would theoretically be the same since class story crosses over AC lines, then it doesn't matter much from a story standpoint. At the same time, when you introduce a new class in a different MMO, one purpose is to attract new players, the other is to get current players to reroll and try the new class both for the fun and to get them committed to the game longer. So if you allow AC changes, then you'll kill that possibility by just allowing current 50+ toons to just reroll and not start the new job from scratch.

Unfortunately, I almost see them having to make the choice of allowing AC changes and not introducing new AC's, or introducing new AC's and not allowing a AC change. If they go with the first route maybe that will force their hand to introduce new classes from the ground up with new story lines. Either way I would love to see new classes or new AC's. This game desperately needs a class or AC that solely buffs imho. So fingers are crossed.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you learn how to defeat TZ-27 Annihilator Droid (very good fight btw) or Valis by leveling through PvP/GSF/Space missions?

No it does not, which is my point. The game currently allows people to level to 55 without learning their class mechanics, so using that as an argument against an Advanced Class change feature is irrelevant.

Edited by Seldan

An old quote from a developer (at the time lead writer) who has long since left the game.

Things change.

When launched the Devs stood by the subscription only model, that changed with the release of the hybrid model. They stood by gear design should reflect class, that changed with the introduction of the adaptive gear.

We've also got the most recent quote from a Dev (all be it not that recent now but notably from the lead game designer at this time) along the lines of AC swapping has been considered and will likely happen in the future.

I doubt an AC swap function would materialise out of thin air. There would be more of a player base need for it than currently exists. It has been mentioned that we won't be seeing any full new classes in the future but new Advanced Classes were a possibility.

So, imagine a similar introduction along the same lines as the Appearance Kiosk and the Cathar species. A new range of Advanced Classes are released for the existing 8 classes. I've already suggested some thoughts on these in other posts but they would go to addressing gaps in the roles covered by the existing Advanced Classes (a techblade/ tech staff Advanced Class for the Bounty Hunter/ Trooper for instance).

On the back of this the AC swap function is also launched, a one use consumable purchased from the Cartel Market for 1,000-2,000 cartel coins and freely tradable on the GTN.

It may be an old quote, but it is an old quote that has NEVER been contradicted. Even that last statement about allowing class changes, which is itself well over a year old, does not contradict those earlier statements.

Let's look at this logically.

We have the devs stating that AC's are DIFFERENT classes. We have multiple warnings that your choice of AC is PERMANENT. The devs even went so far as to make drastic changes in the confirmation boxes when you make your AC choice as well as adding those multiple warnings about the PERMANENCY of your decision.

Then we have a mass of "lazy, entitled, have to have it now and for as little effort as possible" players who want to ignore the fact that they KNEW they were making a PERMANENT choice and cry tha they be allowed to change their class.

In response, we get ONE dev who makes a vague, ambiguous statement that AC swapping will "likely happen". He gives NO kind of time frame, nor does he state they AC swapping WILL happen. He does, however, also mention that species changes will "likely happen" in that same statement. Species changes, a purely COSMETIC change, have been implemented, yet the class changes, which would be a change to fundamental game play mechanics, has not.

Further, since that ambiguous statement from well over a year ago, there has been NOTHING from the devs on class changes, not even a whisper of a hint. The devs have been TOTALLY silent on this subject, despite this over 420 page thread and countless others. We haven't seen anything to indicate that allowing class changes is even still on the "wall of crazy".

Is it not possible that the devs see the AC's a different classes and have no intention of allowing class changes at this time. Is it possible that they realize that allowing class changes WILL cost them subscribers? Is it possible that the devs got tired of the clamoring from players wanting to have a new class handed to them and issued a "soft no" in the guise of "likely happen"?

is it also possible that the devs could implement allowing class changes? Yes, but I do not expect that to happen until this game is well and truly on its last leg. Allowing class changes would, IMO, be a last ditch effort to either keep players or to bring them back.

It's a perfectly reasonable pricing point and one based on some of the other costs in the game such as server transfers or species change.

What is unreasonable is pricing it so high people wouldn't use it. Put a big enough wall in the way and people won't seek a way to get over it they'll just go elsewhere for their fun.

And this seems to be a point you are uncomfortable with. People shouldn't have fun when playing SWTOR. It should stand as a second job with time consuming grind (an old mindset from MMOs to disguise lack of content) rather than just getting in and having a blast with a few friends.

I struggle as well to understand the argument that there is no demand for an AC swap function, and yet if it was allowed then every one and their Kowakian Monkey Lizard would be flip flopping between their two ACs every other minute completely disrupting the delicate skill pool of endgame PUGs :/ (<- sarcasm for those in doubt ;) )

A server transfer is a far cry from a class change. So is a species change. Species change is COSMETIC and a server transfer does not give you a new class.

People should have fun playing SWTOR, but people should not use the fact that this is a game to justify LAZINESS.

The means to play a new class already exists in the game. Use it.

This is I'm sure an interesting discussion to be a fly on the wall for. Because the way this game is designed I'm not sure they can introduce new classes because it would require the introduction of new lvl 1-50 class stories including voice work. I'm really not sure they can do that. So for future expansion, where other games can introduce new jobs/classes, this game may have to solely rely on introducing new advanced classes instead.

This then introduces a new discussion when it comes to the question of allowing AC changes. If you allow it then people are not leveling into the new AC. But since the story line would theoretically be the same since class story crosses over AC lines, then it doesn't matter much from a story standpoint. At the same time, when you introduce a new class in a different MMO, one purpose is to attract new players, the other is to get current players to reroll and try the new class both for the fun and to get them committed to the game longer. So if you allow AC changes, then you'll kill that possibility by just allowing current 50+ toons to just reroll and not start the new job from scratch.

Unfortunately, I almost see them having to make the choice of allowing AC changes and not introducing new AC's, or introducing new AC's and not allowing a AC change. If they go with the first route maybe that will force their hand to introduce new classes from the ground up with new story lines. Either way I would love to see new classes or new AC's. This game desperately needs a class or AC that solely buffs imho. So fingers are crossed.

Your line of reasoning would be pretty solid for a subscription only model. They rely solely on the time subscribed and so gain more from activities that require time to complete. Going back to relevel a new Advanced Class is a perfectly viable way of introducing alternative content that requires a player to stay subscribed for longer.

However, SWTOR is no longer a subscription only model. Much of its revenue is from the cartel market (I don't pay a lot of attention to the quarterly EA reports but they tend to suggest revenue from subscriptions falling while micro-transaction revenue up). So instead of introducing content that places a return to stage one and fairly mindless grind up the levels to endgame (at no cost if you are a free or preferred player), you introduce content that can be ground out but can also be purchased. This gives a potentially far higher return on development investment as many more players would purchase the AC swap to try out the new AC on existing characters than go back to the beginning.

I tend to use the techblade Bounty Hunter/ Trooper example as it is the most obvious lacking aspect in the game. Just look at the sheer number of Republic and Imperial troopers you mow down as you level through the game, two of the Troopers companions (themselves troopers) use Techblades, and as far as I recall the two Mandalorian companions in the game are also Techblade/Techstaff users. I've know players that level a Sithwarrior and equip Mandalorian armour and vibroswords for the appearance but it really isn't the same.

A server transfer is a far cry from a class change. So is a species change. Species change is COSMETIC and a server transfer does not give you a new class.

People should have fun playing SWTOR, but people should not use the fact that this is a game to justify LAZINESS.

The means to play a new class already exists in the game. Use it.

And in the long term your business model has zero return to the coffers of SWTOR. Free and preferred players can add an additional 10 character slots to their account and quite happily bash away levelling characters on different servers without spending a single cent.

An AC swap function, placed at an attractive price on the CM, does not mean players need to use it, but it's there for their consideration and everytime time a player uses it SWTOR gets a couple of dollars.

I do not see why people are against it.

Looking back on this thread, those who are against this feature cannot provide a valid reason other than their own personal feelings toward it.

The main argument is that player skill is in question. This is a non-issue, as it's the same situation as:

• A player leveling a Rage Juggernaut and decides to tank at 55

• A player leveling a Concealment Operative and decides he wants to heal at 55

• A player leveling through GSF or Space Missions

Make no mistake, there is a demand for this feature - I see people in Fleet, Flashpoints, and Warzones inquire about it often. This should be a relatively easy feature to implement, Bioware should explore it.

Edited by Seldan

Looking back on this thread, those who are against this feature cannot provide a valid reason other than their own personal feelings toward it.

The main argument is that player skill is in question. This is a non-issue, as it's the same situation as:

Make no mistake, there is a demand for this feature - I see people in Fleet, Flashpoints, and Warzones inquire about it often. This should be a relatively easy feature to implement, Bioware should explore it.

Great reply. I fully agree!

That's the thing...I there has not been even ONE convincing reason in all 422 pages that would make me go "ya know, you're right...I'd rather force people to replay the same missions again than risk opening that can o'worms".

I'm not saying you're wrong...it may just be your opinion that you don't want it, and that's fine. My opinion is that it would be beneficial long term...and short tbh. I think it should happen sooner rather than later as I don't see even ONE negative to allowing people to swap...not one.

"Hey man, did you see that Sin's can cheese like half of the mechanics on the latest update to the new world progression content?!"

"NAW REALLY?? Well my sorc is squishy as ****, but it already is lvl 55 with bis left hand gear, why don't we just get a collection together so I can swap ac's, and we can down this ****er faster than if either I level'd an assassin, or we could gear out someone else's assassin?"

"MAN THAT WAS A GREAT IDEA! It moved us up like 10 slots on the world progression, it would have been so much harder and slower without that AC SWAP"

------REALLY? You can't see a single reason why requiring people to actually take the effort to level a toon if they want to play an advanced class is bad?

This example would also be exactly what would happen whenever Bioware breaks class balance in ranked pvp (which they do with basically every update).

This is just begging for bug/"BW is stupid" abuse, and is completely different then changing specs because you make a conscious choice and decision to the AC you take when you take it.

Edited by DuEldrvarya

I don't agree with it, but at the same time when it was stated, Erickson was talking about choices having an impact in your gameplay experience. Several features that were available in beta such as killing off various companions were rewritten then so I can agree that there isn't much of an argument against it.

I still wish I could kill Quinn, though.

Several features that were available in beta such as killing off various companions were rewritten then so I can agree that there isn't much of an argument against it.

Heh. If killable companions were added back into the game, I'd level up more 10 agents

Just to keep shoving that ***** Kaliyo out the freaking airlock.

Heh. If killable companions were added back into the game, I'd level up more 10 agents

Just to keep shoving that ***** Kaliyo out the freaking airlock.

Lol. We should start a petition so this can be reinstated. We have HK-51, and Treek now so there should be no argument against killing off a healer, tank, or dps companion. :p

And in the long term your business model has zero return to the coffers of SWTOR. Free and preferred players can add an additional 10 character slots to their account and quite happily bash away levelling characters on different servers without spending a single cent.

An AC swap function, placed at an attractive price on the CM, does not mean players need to use it, but it's there for their consideration and everytime time a player uses it SWTOR gets a couple of dollars.

Yes, they can add those extra character slots without paying a single cent if they purchase them off the GTN, but SOMEONE has to purchase those character slots. This IS money in their coffers.

The same goes for allowing class changes. If they were to add an item that caters to those too lazy to level that new class, someone would have to purchase it. That free to play or preferred player could just as easily purchase the "lazy" item from the GTN and get that new class without paying a cent, but SOMEONE had to buy it.

Either way that free to play or preferred player would be able to play that new class without paying a cent, yet you want to claim that leaving things as they are generates no revenue for BW but allowing class changes would magically fill their coffers?

Make no mistake. For every one person too lazy to level that new class, I would expect that there is at least one player who is against allowing class changes.

"Hey man, did you see that Sin's can cheese like half of the mechanics on the latest update to the new world progression content?!"

"NAW REALLY?? Well my sorc is squishy as ****, but it already is lvl 55 with bis left hand gear, why don't we just get a collection together so I can swap ac's, and we can down this ****er faster than if either I level'd an assassin, or we could gear out someone else's assassin?"

"MAN THAT WAS A GREAT IDEA! It moved us up like 10 slots on the world progression, it would have been so much harder and slower without that AC SWAP"

------REALLY? You can't see a single reason why requiring people to actually take the effort to level a toon if they want to play an advanced class is bad?

This example would also be exactly what would happen whenever Bioware breaks class balance in ranked pvp (which they do with basically every update).

This is just begging for bug/"BW is stupid" abuse, and is completely different then changing specs because you make a conscious choice and decision to the AC you take when you take it.

I am 100% in favor of people switching AC's to be FOTM if they want...God knows Bioware doesn't take balance seriously. If switching AC would keep a player having fun in the game, I'm 100% for it. As it is now, almost every DPS in HM DP/DF is a Slinger...this would just allow others to join the fun.

FOTM issues are created by poor balancing and neglecting balance, which Bioware is notorious for. Let the players 'balance' themselves.

It may be an old quote, but it is an old quote that has NEVER been contradicted. Even that last statement about allowing class changes, which is itself well over a year old, does not contradict those earlier statements.

But your core definition of what a class is and isn't consistently relies on going to other games such as WoW. Rather than say looking at how SWTOR refers to CLasses and Advanced Classes within its own material such as the Holonet. In this game consistent context Advanced Classes read as a sub-set of specialisation within the core Class.

Let's look at this logically.

That would be a first ;)

We have the devs stating that AC's are DIFFERENT classes. We have multiple warnings that your choice of AC is PERMANENT. The devs even went so far as to make drastic changes in the confirmation boxes when you make your AC choice as well as adding those multiple warnings about the PERMANENCY of your decision.

Which is always open to change as the game develops. Personally I feel this was implemented around the time of the Beta as AC swaping had been asked for at that time (and had probably been planned) and it was easier to code and more familiar with the hardcore gamers. Ones that feel their characters role forms the core of their identity.

Then we have a mass of "lazy, entitled, have to have it now and for as little effort as possible" players who want to ignore the fact that they KNEW they were making a PERMANENT choice and cry tha they be allowed to change their class.

There's nothing lazy or entitled about knowing how valuable time is. And,I can assure you it's the one commodity you'll never get more of in your life. If a player chooses to spend a few dollars to extend the lifespan of SWTOR by expanding the options of gameplay on a character they have already put some time into then good for them.

And expecting a player to be clairvoyant enough to know the playstyle of an Advanced Class that doesn't have a full rotation until the mid 40s or the future composition and needs of a guild, and then punish them for the choices they made at level 10 is a little harsh.

In response, we get ONE dev who makes a vague, ambiguous statement that AC swapping will "likely happen". He gives NO kind of time frame, nor does he state they AC swapping WILL happen. He does, however, also mention that species changes will "likely happen" in that same statement. Species changes, a purely COSMETIC change, have been implemented, yet the class changes, which would be a change to fundamental game play mechanics, has not.

See the above post I made about how Species change was rolled out at the time a new species was made available. I see a potential similarity in allowing an AC swap function at a time when new ACs are implemented and demand would be greater.

Further, since that ambiguous statement from well over a year ago, there has been NOTHING from the devs on class changes, not even a whisper of a hint. The devs have been TOTALLY silent on this subject, despite this over 420 page thread and countless others. We haven't seen anything to indicate that allowing class changes is even still on the "wall of crazy".

There was nothing ambiguous about the statement made by the Lead Game Designer Damion Schubert. The Devs tend to be silent on the vast majority of subjects unless they have anything concrete to add. While it is a long thread it is one that sees constant attention from a very small and vocal minority for and against (yes I'm one of those).

Is it not possible that the devs see the AC's a different classes and have no intention of allowing class changes at this time. Is it possible that they realize that allowing class changes WILL cost them subscribers? Is it possible that the devs got tired of the clamoring from players wanting to have a new class handed to them and issued a "soft no" in the guise of "likely happen"?

Most things in life are possible, and your scenario is just as possible as my suggestion that they have considered it will only garner the best return if it is released at a time that a large part of the player base wish to use such a function. Such as the roll out of new Advanced Classes. It could just as easily be seen as exactly what Damion Schubert said. The devs have considered it. It is likely. No time frame.

is it also possible that the devs could implement allowing class changes? Yes, but I do not expect that to happen until this game is well and truly on its last leg. Allowing class changes would, IMO, be a last ditch effort to either keep players or to bring them back.

But it still isn't a class change as SWTOR defines a class.

It is and always has been asking about the potential time frame for an Advanced Class change.

But, at this point in time I doubt either of us will ever see eye to eye with the other ;)

I am 100% in favor of people switching AC's to be FOTM if they want...God knows Bioware doesn't take balance seriously. If switching AC would keep a player having fun in the game, I'm 100% for it. As it is now, almost every DPS in HM DP/DF is a Slinger...this would just allow others to join the fun.

FOTM issues are created by poor balancing and neglecting balance, which Bioware is notorious for. Let the players 'balance' themselves.

Yea bioware doesn't balance very well, so lets just let players pay to balance themselves! Great idea!

Yes, they can add those extra character slots without paying a single cent if they purchase them off the GTN, but SOMEONE has to purchase those character slots. This IS money in their coffers.

The same goes for allowing class changes. If they were to add an item that caters to those too lazy to level that new class, someone would have to purchase it. That free to play or preferred player could just as easily purchase the "lazy" item from the GTN and get that new class without paying a cent, but SOMEONE had to buy it.

Either way that free to play or preferred player would be able to play that new class without paying a cent, yet you want to claim that leaving things as they are generates no revenue for BW but allowing class changes would magically fill their coffers?

The key to my comment was 'can' purchase, and yes I know that someone has to purchase the extra slots so some money is going back to SWTOR but F2P have 2 slots on every server and Preferred Players have 6 slots on every server. So there is no real need for them to purchase any.

When dealing with microtransactions those with a fixed function (ie one shot unlocks) tend to return a lump sum at outset and then no more (such as the extra character slots, once you have the maximum amount of 10 you can't purchase more)

Whereas consumables operating a switch have no potential limit. If a player wants to flip between a powertech or mercenary once a fortnight until they unplug the servers then that's possible.

I don't think it would ever fill the coffers, but it seems to stand as a far more attractive proposition of getting some return on investment than the limited return of additional character slots.

I don't agree with it, but at the same time when it was stated, Erickson was talking about choices having an impact in your gameplay experience. Several features that were available in beta such as killing off various companions were rewritten then so I can agree that there isn't much of an argument against it.

So true, I don't think I have a single character where I feel the group of companions they have is realistic. I'm not sure I'd feel strong enough about it to kill them but certainly leave before they made it back to the spaceship ;)

That's a lie, my bounty hunter has a full clip of incendiary fuel set aside for the day he gets to roast Skadge and vent the smoking corpse out the airlock.

But your core definition of what a class is and isn't consistently relies on going to other games such as WoW. Rather than say looking at how SWTOR refers to CLasses and Advanced Classes within its own material such as the Holonet. In this game consistent context Advanced Classes read as a sub-set of specialisation within the core Class.

Not MY core definition, but rather that of the devs. You can point out the holopage, and I'll point out that the holopage has been redesigned to show what two AC's (classes) each story line can access as well as to give a little idea of what each talent tree would be like.

Which is always open to change as the game develops. Personally I feel this was implemented around the time of the Beta as AC swaping had been asked for at that time (and had probably been planned) and it was easier to code and more familiar with the hardcore gamers. Ones that feel their characters role forms the core of their identity.

That may have been when they made the statements about AC's being different classes, but you zealously refuse to acknowledge that they have NEVER ONCE contradicted those statements.

There's nothing lazy or entitled about knowing how valuable time is. And,I can assure you it's the one commodity you'll never get more of in your life. If a player chooses to spend a few dollars to extend the lifespan of SWTOR by expanding the options of gameplay on a character they have already put some time into then good for them.

And expecting a player to be clairvoyant enough to know the playstyle of an Advanced Class that doesn't have a full rotation until the mid 40s or the future composition and needs of a guild, and then punish them for the choices they made at level 10 is a little harsh.

No more so than expecting a player to know how a pally will play at high levels when they create that pally. Choosing your class with limited information is part of MMO's. You don't get a do-over if you choose "wrong" or if they nerf your chosen class.

See the above post I made about how Species change was rolled out at the time a new species was made available. I see a potential similarity in allowing an AC swap function at a time when new ACs are implemented and demand would be greater.

If they implement a new AC, then allowing class changes would have a bit more merit. However, when MMO's introduce new classes, you typically don't get to change one of your current characters into that new class. You must actually <GASP> put forth the effort to actually level that new class, even if they allow to start that class at a higher level.

There was nothing ambiguous about the statement made by the Lead Game Designer Damion Schubert. The Devs tend to be silent on the vast majority of subjects unless they have anything concrete to add. While it is a long thread it is one that sees constant attention from a very small and vocal minority for and against (yes I'm one of those).

Nothing ambiguous? Did he give any kind of time frame for the implementation of these supposed class changes? Did he say that class changes WOULD happen? Have we had people in this very thread using that statement as "proof" that the devs have said AC changes WILL happen? That statement sure seems rather indefinite and open to interpretation to me, which is the definition of ambiguous, BTW.

Most things in life are possible, and your scenario is just as possible as my suggestion that they have considered it will only garner the best return if it is released at a time that a large part of the player base wish to use such a function. Such as the roll out of new Advanced Classes. It could just as easily be seen as exactly what Damion Schubert said. The devs have considered it. It is likely. No time frame.

Given the fact that the devs have been at least a little more forthcoming with communication about things they are planning to implement or even considering, do you REALLY think that they would remain so absolutely silent if they were even considering allowing class changes? There silence on this matter makes even less sense if they were considering allowing it since so many in favor of it want to claim there is an incredibly high demand for the option to change classes.

But it still isn't a class change as SWTOR defines a class.

It is and always has been asking about the potential time frame for an Advanced Class change.

But, at this point in time I doubt either of us will ever see eye to eye with the other ;)

Except that it is about class changes as the devs define a class, by the devs own statements and the changes they have made to the game and the holopage to make this distinction more evident.

Yea bioware doesn't balance very well, so lets just let players pay to balance themselves! Great idea!

Take a step back and look at the big picture.

NiM Raiders and Ranked PvPs are a small percentage of the player base. The majority of TOR players are casual players. NiM quality raiders will min/max no matter what, so denying an AC change feature will ultimately prevent nothing.

I imagine the largest consumers of this feature would be casual players who are bored of their current AC, or curious as to how the other AC performs. Perhaps a player may regain interest in that level 42 Guardian and change to a Sentinel. This feature has the potential to generate additional revenue and retain players.

Will some players FOTM swap for some perceived advantage in other aspects of the game, such as 8v8 warzones? Perhaps. If they want to provide the game with more revenue, then why not?

Looking at the rest of the market:

• Everquest 2 has an Advanced Class system, they allow AC changes.
  • WoW has implemented a Level 90 character boost feature
  • Rift - Allows soul swapping and role configurations to a ridiculous extent

Bioware should implement an AC change feature as well.

Except that it is about class changes as the devs define a class, by the devs own statements and the changes they have made to the game and the holopage to make this distinction more evident.

I only see 8 classes listed here and here.

Here's an excerpt from the 2nd link:

Choosing Your Class

Each Class is represented with a visual icon at the bottom of your game window. This is the single most important choice that you will ever make in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, as your Class not only determines your combat style and how to play, but it also determines which of the unique stories you will experience! To help you in this decision, we’ve listed each of the playable classes below:

Please note the highlighted yellow portion - according to Bioware, each class has a UNIQUE story. I think that safely excludes "Advanced Classes" from being called "Classes".

I only see 8 classes listed here and here.

Here's an excerpt from the 2nd link:

Please note the highlighted yellow portion - according to Bioware, each class has a UNIQUE story. I think that safely excludes "Advanced Classes" from being called "Classes".

Well if you wish to get technical, each faction has "8 Classes"