ETA on Advanced Class change?

Not denying that's a solution to cover all the play styles, but it still requires a substantial amount of time and you essentially take a step back on any new character you level. (You earn pretty much nothing on a new character from level 1 through to 40 it's all spent on upgrades and new skills).

Once the game transitioned from a Subscription only to a hybrid model the need to keep a players advance tied to grind mechanics was weakened if not lost altogether.

I think as generations of gamers transition from their teenage years, of having little money but lots of time, to their adult years, of having money but precious little time to game, the market will see a demand for game features that allow gamers to decide how they advance through a game. Time or money or a mix of both.

Maybe those new adults could actually stop looking for shorcuts and realize that anything worth having is worth effort.

The problem is that those teenagers who are transitioning into adulthood have more than likely never actually had to EARN anything. They have more than likely had everything handed to them. They try to justify their attitude of "entitlement" by claiming "little time", "I've already done it once" or "it's too tedious". It's still a false sense of entitlement, though.

Catering to those in the "entitled, have to have it now and for as little effort as possible" crowd only reinforces this behavior.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because not everyone likes to play through the same story twice? might not have time for it either.

I do more or less what you do (except I have 3 agents and 3 inquisitors and only 1 knight, because that story does absolutely nothing for me). but just because it works for you... or me... doesn't mean it works for everyone. and making AC switch available will not change quality of life for you or me in any way, we still have our alts the way we want them. but it WILL give more people opportunity to enjoy the game more.

it absoultely would effect my QoL if nothing else. I would be dealing with all types of bafoonery in LFG and that is a can a worms id rather leave closed.

it absoultely would effect my QoL if nothing else. I would be dealing with all types of bafoonery in LFG and that is a can a worms id rather leave closed.

becasue you are not dealing with bad players already? becasue people are not already needing for companions, alts, for vendor, becasue they feel like it, etc and the only thing that's stopping bad players from being bad players is inability to switch AC? oh.. wait.

But you can have each advanced class, for example i did this. Juggernaut/Sentinel Assassin/Sage Operative/Gunslinger , I already have a Vanguard and soon ill lvl a Merc.

Problem solved.

no, problem not solved. becasue if one or more of those AC's is something person ends up not enjoying, their character is now wasted. becasue they may have a wrong AC on a wrong faction. because something that works for you doesn't necessarily work for other people.

becasue you are not dealing with bad players already? becasue people are not already needing for companions, alts, for vendor, becasue they feel like it, etc and the only thing that's stopping bad players from being bad players is inability to switch AC? oh.. wait.

Is the existence of a problem justification for making that existing problem worse? I don't think so.

no, problem not solved. becasue if one or more of those AC's is something person ends up not enjoying, their character is now wasted. becasue they may have a wrong AC on a wrong faction. because something that works for you doesn't necessarily work for other people.

Instead of asking someone else to solve their "problem", those who want to play another class could actually solve their "problem" by leveling that other class.

Maybe they'd rather complain and "play the victim", looking for sympathy. "Woe is me. I'm stuck playing this class I CHOSE to play. I know that I even acknowledged that I was making a PERMANENT choice and was making the choice I wanted to make. I've changed my mind and I have limited time to play, so someone please hand me the class I now want to play."

because not everyone likes to play through the same story twice? might not have time for it either.

I do more or less what you do (except I have 3 agents and 3 inquisitors and only 1 knight, because that story does absolutely nothing for me). but just because it works for you... or me... doesn't mean it works for everyone. and making AC switch available will not change quality of life for you or me in any way, we still have our alts the way we want them. but it WILL give more people opportunity to enjoy the game more.

I'm currently starting second run through all base classes. Of course I choose the advanced class that I didn't choose previously. But that's not the only thing I do differently:

- Female -> 2nd char = Male... and vice versa.

- If I played dark side -> light side... and vice versa.

Why all this discussion? This is not really up to us to decide what and when will happen. There will be no ETA until this project will be assigned one. If there is no ETA today, then this project will be assigned one in a future. Does anyone need ETA on when it will be assigned an ETA?

Giving an ETA would suggest someone is actually working on making it possible which is apparently not true.

The devs were originally going to give us advanced spec change options at release. When they changed their minds they cited player disapproval as one of their reasons. I'm glad this thread highlights that the disapproval is really coming from a minority of very vocal, close minded and borderline fanatical players (that they never should have listened to).

Edited by Savej

I'm currently starting second run through all base classes. Of course I choose the advanced class that I didn't choose previously. But that's not the only thing I do differently:

- Female -> 2nd char = Male... and vice versa.

- If I played dark side -> light side... and vice versa.

yes. I do it this way myself.

but do please try to put yourself into someone else's shoes.

the fact that voice is different is not a major change to them. they know how the story will go. they know how it will end. they know all the twists. yes, playing different alignment can yield a few surprised (part of the reason why i personally replay stories) but its not enough to make it fun. they may not even like playing another gender.

the game should be about FUN. not grind just because you are trying to overcome mechanical restriction that is entirely arbitrary. making AC changeable will not change balance of the game, it will not change any of the mechanics, it will not affect development in any way, since they will still have to design the same way as they did before, it will not affect the story of the game. its no different from allowing people to change talent points between trees, its no different from allowing them to change roles as they do now. its no different than the frankly awesome decision they made in making reputation legacy wide instead of character specific.

currently, solution to "reroll" is "no, its boring, I'll just quit and go play another game." and it IS a solution, but its a solution that might be good for individual players, but I don't see how its good for the health of the game as a whole.

flexibility is a GOOD thing and allowing more flexibility in playstyle is NOT handing people things. they still need to level these characters and gear them and learn how to play them.

Edited by Jeweledleah

Only two reasons I can think of why this could be good idea:

- It's good idea to be able change AC without me needing to pay anything. Also I don't want to delete any of my other characters.

- It would indeed be nice if SWTOR was the first game to allow this. Maybe other MMOs would follow.

Edited by Halinalle

The devs were originally going to give us advanced spec change options at release. When they changed their minds they cited player disapproval as one of their reasons. I'm glad this thread highlights that the disapproval is really coming from a minority of very vocal, close minded and borderline fanatical players (that they never should have listened to).

The forums represent a vocal minority. This means that a minority of players visit or post on the forums, not that it is only a minority of players are against class changes. BW did extensive player research and conducted polls consulting the players before they made the decision not to allow class changes. IMO, had it only been a minority of players against class changes, they would have allowed class changes.

• 4 weeks later...
No, and hopefully they never will.

As someone with 16 alts between 50 and 55 in every advanced class, I tend to agree ;)

This would pretty much feel like a kick in the junk if implemented, but I'd get over it (and save some serious Cartel Coins in the process I'd imagine)...

As someone with 16 alts between 50 and 55 in every advanced class, I tend to agree ;)

This would pretty much feel like a kick in the junk if implemented, but I'd get over it (and save some serious Cartel Coins in the process I'd imagine)...

Think of all the storage and possible money you can make crafting though :)

• 2 weeks later...
At least give the people THE OPTION to change advanced class everyone has said some stupid response

We SHOULD have the CHOICE to choose !,,,,,,!,,,,,!!!!,!

As someone else posted, you DO have the choice to choose. You get that choice at level 10, but once you make your choice it is PERMANENT. You are told at lease 4 separate times by at least 2 different NPC's that it is a PERMANENT choice. Once you make your choice, there is NO going back. Which part of that do you not understand?

The forums represent a vocal minority. This means that a minority of players visit or post on the forums, not that it is only a minority of players are against class changes. BW did extensive player research and conducted polls consulting the players before they made the decision not to allow class changes. IMO, had it only been a minority of players against class changes, they would have allowed class changes.

"Conducted research." You made me laugh so hard. I have been around long enough to know that BW does not do a) any research, b) any testing c) listen to players.

Since we had new content poll lets do AC change poll and see who is the "minority."

The only way I can see that not allowing AC change is that devs think it increase the sub duration of players, making them stick with the game longer. I do not think this is the case.

Edited by Ottoattack

At least give the people THE OPTION to change advanced class everyone has said some stupid response

We SHOULD have the CHOICE to choose !,,,,,,!,,,,,!!!!,!

You do have the choice, the moment you get off your starter planet. It takes 30 minutes to get to level 10, roll both classes but stop trying to make this already easy game into a bigger casuals joke than it already is.

You do have the choice, the moment you get off your starter planet. It takes 30 minutes to get to level 10, roll both classes but stop trying to make this already easy game into a bigger casuals joke than it already is.

Except it takes 50-60 hours minimum to get to level 55, and most classes you need to be in mid 30 to even get a sense of how the class operates, and that is at least 20 some hours investment, and you may not like the out come. And for people who played many story lines, like me, the lowbie game play is a chore that I try to avoid at all costs. Not to mention that gearing up with augs and all cost close to 2 million credits. I want to roll a lethality ops, I really do, but I can't go through the lowbie leveling punishment anymore. Levels 0-30 are especially bad. I could switch my sniper, which is level 55 that I never play to ops and problem solved, but no... I have to go through the reroll chore.

Edited by Ottoattack

"Conducted research." You made me laugh so hard. I have been around long enough to know that BW does not do a) any research, b) any testing c) listen to players.

Since we had new content poll lets do AC change poll and see who is the "minority."

The only way I can see that not allowing AC change is that devs think it increase the sub duration of players, making them stick with the game longer. I do not think this is the case.

I guess you weren't around during beta when that research was done.