Concerns About Players Being Suspended

EricMusco

Even 1 person incorrectly actioned against is bad service, which I've been through before, but to have that many (in which you downplay as not many) is terrible on EA's end and deserve all the bad raps that come with it.

True, but it happens. People make mistakes. It's happened in other games I play, it's happened in other types of services I've used. You can't change what's happened, but they can respond appropriately, and take measures to ensure that it doesn't happen again. I believe they responded well, and hopefully we won't see a situation like this again.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but it happens. People make mistakes. It's happened in other games I play, it's happened in other types of services I've used. You can't change what's happened, but they can respond appropriately, and take measures to ensure that it doesn't happen again. I believe they responded well, and hopefully we won't see a situation like this again.

Exactly. Their human, and we all make mistakes. Banks make mistakes. Shops make mistakes. Hell even governments make mistakes. What matters is that they are trying to fix this mistake and then take action to minimise this happened again.

What's vendor sale value? 10% of purchase value? If so, then whites would have vendored for 500k each if I recall original pricing correctly. Yeah, there's an exploit right there.

I didn't think White Crystals were tracked in Collections, though (although I haven't looked too closely--correct me if I'm wrong).

I didn't think White Crystals were tracked in Collections, though (although I haven't looked too closely--correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah, actually, they are.

They are the level 50 ones from the Crime Lord Packs.

So you see Andryah, Legacy Gear IS working as intended. We did not rob BW! :p

:p I stand by my statement that it was not intended as mod-mules by design. Mod-muling is an artifact of the way they approached the design. But hey.. a mule is a mule... until the devs say it isn't. :D

But in the context of this thread topic... yeah.. it's a non-issue, per Eric. :)

We now know that it was the two things they hot-fixed in 2.0.1b, per Eric. Then it appears they went off to figure out how to detect everyone who exploited those two things prior to the patch.. and probably wrote a script (over zealous in 150 cases, per Eric) to autodetect the offenders. So they banned after the hotfix, which is normal for MMOs, but they captured some innocents in the net.. which they appear to have rectified and compensated through the appeal process.

The nice thing out of all of this mess.. we got to see that the appeal process works and that they are willing to admit when they made a mistake and make remedy AND say so in public.

Edited by Andryah

I'm sorry, but your policy on not allowing threads on actions taken on accounts needs to be reversed.

It's too akin to police not allowing what they do to be video taped, i.e., not wanting the community or public to know what they're doing and are trying to hide their actions.

I'm sorry, but if you can't allow these things to be seen by all with at least their personal identifying marks to be hidden, then you are doing something wrong and are afraid of scrutiny.

Edited by Elfa

This should be a wake-up call for you mindless corporatist apologists that kept on insisting that all the victims of this moronic action lied.

But I doubt it will be. :rolleyes:

Indeed, and I also call BS on the amount of people affected.

Myself, 2 guildies and my nephew were all banned, and although my guildies said the same as me, I will only speak for myself and my nephew, who is living with us for the past 4 weeks, his account is 3 weeks old and does not even own a legacy weapon, so that immediately nullifies any legacy exploit, which I knew was wrong anyway, as I and my guildies said we never used a legacy weapon. Another misconception, that it was to do with white, as none of us has a white crystal, that too was out of the equation for us.

The only common ground we had, is we all bought the account unlocks for the crystals, in my case it was 2, the pink/purple and silver/blue, and in my nephews case, he unlocked 1, the pink/purple.

Hey folks,

I made a post about this here but I know it will lose visibility off the front page. I have no information right now but we are actively investigating your reports. I may not have an update tonight but I will post information as soon as as I have it. In the meantime, please refrain from making new threads on the topic as they will be deleted. Remember that discussion of action being taken against players, exploits, etc. is against the forum rules.

Thanks everyone, I will get you more information as soon as I can!

-eric

I'm not one of the ones that got banned/suspended..however this is typical BioWare stupidity.

YOU screwed up BioWare...I'm willing to bet the MAJORITY of those that did this didn't even realize it was any kind of exploit and was just PART OF THE SYSTEM.

instead of..sending out a warning in game and removing the "unlock" and extra crystals....you just throw out bans..punishing PLAYERS for YOUR **** up!

get a goddamn clue Bio

We lost one of our great players due to this and all he did was take a crystal out of a weapon to change colours and then send it to another player, With bioware rejecting all of his emails and calls for help he went out and bought Guild Wars 2 and today i noticed bioware are giving people 3 days of game time damm that is a real kick in the face for these players I would be giving them atleast 30 days + 1000 cartel coins for the stress caused by such a serious blunder.

If you treat people like a street dog then they will treat you the same.

We lost one of our great players due to this and all he did was take a crystal out of a weapon to change colours and then send it to another player, With bioware rejecting all of his emails and calls for help he went out and bought Guild Wars 2 and today i noticed bioware are giving people 3 days of game time damm that is a real kick in the face for these players I would be giving them atleast 30 days + 1000 cartel coins for the stress caused by such a serious blunder.

If you treat people like a street dog then they will treat you the same.

If i was wrongly called a liar and a cheat, i would view 3 free days, (about 1 dollar) as an insult added to the injury.

I'm sorry, bit your policy on not allowing threads on actions taken on accounts needs to be reversed.

It's too akin to police not allowing what they do to be video taped, i.e., not wanting the community or public to know what they're doing and are trying to hide their actions.

I'm sorry, but if you can't allow these things to be seen by all with at least their personal identifying marks to be hidden, then you are doing something wrong and are afraid of scrutiny.

No I completely disagree with you. Discussions on forum moderation is between the affected player and Bioware alone. It is NOT public knowledge and it is a private matter. Also, regardless of your feelings it is their board and their rules if you not agree with their forum policy that is unfortunate, but do not presume to tell them to change their policy about moderation just because you do not like it. I think BW has been so lenient about what they allow on the forums these days but when they actually take a stand on something they feel strongly about it is frowned upon? Really?

Look I know very well that they make questionable decisions even things I personally disagree with. But if they state that discussion of a personal nature is not aloud then it is not aloud. Period.

I'm not one of the ones that got banned/suspended..however this is typical BioWare stupidity.

YOU screwed up BioWare...I'm willing to bet the MAJORITY of those that did this didn't even realize it was any kind of exploit and was just PART OF THE SYSTEM.

instead of..sending out a warning in game and removing the "unlock" and extra crystals....you just throw out bans..punishing PLAYERS for YOUR **** up!

get a gosh darn clue Bio

While I haven't done it, because I don't have a legacy weapon, I totally thought that was part of the system, and had planned on getting one just for that reason.

This is going to be a bit apologetic...so that may upset a few people. Before I do that, I wanted to point out a few things to be fair...

...Those that pointed out that you could move mods and crystals using legacy this way in the past, and that this item was reported and not acknowledged...further that it was not an exploit...well, you were right. I even thought they were looking at it as one, but it seems it was made clear this was an overkill mistake on the part of Bioware.

In other words, if you go through the trouble of getting the item that allows you to do this they will let you use it as designed. Though it is not a part of the original design intent, they seem to be aware you can do this and have decided to be fine with it. That includes using it to transfer crystals you have purchased on one toon.

So if I came across as doubting anyone with respect to the legitimacy or honesty of claims I apologize. I hope I didn't do that...but if I did I want to make that clear.

Now, on to the apologist part.

In this particular matter I think I'm going to give Bioware a pass. Now, I was not suspended myself, but I tend to think that if I was I would still be doing the same thing.

I believe, considering the amount of people they were dealing with that were exploiting they had no choice but to automate the process. That would be my guess anyway.

Many games I have played in the past, when they automate this ban process ends up catching some innocent folks. A good example would be when my account was suspended when someone hacked into it on WoW and used it to exploit the game in some way....probably a gold seller.

I lost everything, but had every single item....and I mean every item...restored to me. Not to mention they allowed me to keep the ridiculous amount of gold that was remaining in my in-box though I indicated it was not mine. The funny thing is that gold is still on the account.

This type of thing happens in other games, and the companies usually find the mistake and reverse the ban.

It is my hope that those effected for utilizing the legacy transfer mechanic will give Bioware a pass in this respect.

obviously a few innocent people have been swept up in this wave of crack down, HOWEVER how can some one morally consider using such methods to create unbound cc items for resale on gtn - or working around the collection system via attaching to legacy items to other alts; people must have known they where exploiting a loophole , obviously cos they wernt payig the cc coin pricing.

Most have been busted for something they thought they could get off scot free, except the didn't consider that bioware know considers the cartel market more important than other exploitable option in pvp ( cough cough pvp anyone ). The time that the have cracked onto this cartel exploit, and the severity; I wish they would execute with the other ingame exploits, but because this is directly affecting their major money spinner it takes precedence.

TL;DR You cant tell me people that participated in working around getting copies/transferring to alts of cartel items without paying the cc price did not know the wrong they were doing. they thought they could get away with it and now its all fallen on their heads like a ton of bricks

Correct, using a Legacy Weapon to move a Color Crystal which you pulled down from your Collections UI is not an exploit. This is the case because there is no way to manipulate the system to allow for a large amount of credit gain as there was prior to 2.1.0b.

it's late here and i haven't read everything from this quote on.

we can go back through the record and whatnot, but if kilora and andryah wanted to go ahead and say, 'wow, you were spot on curtkram. we were way off base to question you. in the future we will respect your opinion as wise and well informed.' that would be ok.

thanks.

Edited by curtkram

A generous position on their part IMO. :)

Are you admitting that you where wrong ? Mod mules who make use of bad programming ? lol

Legacy items are made to send mods , repeat after me Andryah. Err tumble weeds.........

yeah thank you eric, i guess I can keep my SWTOR mindset , which was correct before this scare. i can Legacy send till my heart is one with the force.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Since the exploit has been resolved in a previous patch, can you tell us what it was? Kinda curious. I appologize if it was already mentioned on an earlier page but I hardly have the patience to sift through 40+ pages on a forum in search for something which may not even be there :p

should check out other internet sources out there ie reddit. They have a list of those banned during this it looks like the number is way higher than 150. Looks more like thousand.

I've been looking and can't find any list....but somehow I seriously doubt people were able acquire a truthful list of real people that were proven to be wrongly banned (remember, there are people who are banned, for actually using the exploit for monetary gain). Because nobody ever lies on the internet, right?

So in other words

BioWare made a system were people could exploit

Then you have CS baning people that should not be banned because CS people are trigger happy

Then you have to unban them because you know no court will be in your favor on this if people sue.

Everyone understand if CS bans someone for using a third party game hack NP, banning someone for

sending crystals is jhust plain braindead.

Having a trigger happy CS banning for exploits is a vast improvement over the standard BW approach of ignoring them like they have in the first year which subsequently borked things as fundamental as gear progression in this game.

Cheating the system became a real metagame inside of TOR.

Striking the fear of BW god into the heart of the sploiter heathens is just what the doctor ordered. Collateral damage will get repatriated and that will be that.

Edited by aeterno