so...why do blaster bolts tend to "bend" to my target?

einsoff

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if my target is running from left to right and i shoot off my blaster...the bolts BEND to strike the target. Is there any lore explanation for this? Seems pretty wild.

It's an optical illusion, much like when you put a stick into the water, it looks like it bends, but really it's straight.

oh so its just bad design. okie dokie. thanks.

Actually, you see, Laser's are light speed weapons, so at this ranges if you hit, it's instantaneous. Oh and you don't typically see the laser bolt itself.

BUT! When these weapons were perfected way back when the armies and gunslingers and all those folks who like shooting people with light speed weapons complained to the manufacturers and they all got together and figured out how to make it look like people were actually shooting red or green shafts of light at each other. It made the soldiers feel better that they could actually see what they are shooting out of their guns.

But, there was this other problem. Since the laser bolt was virtually instantaneous, sometimes people would move out of the way after getting hit by the instant shot, but see to be missed by the visual effect that the gun generated.

So to fix this problem, the blaster manufacturer figured out how to put little people inside the visual effect. They added little microscopic maneuvering thrusters and microscopic control surfaces to the visual effect. So now the 'blaster bolts' could 'track' their target.

Amazing marketing don't you think? Also, that's why the weapons cost so much now. They're upgrades from the old design that didn't track their targets...

Isn't capitalism wonderful!

Oh yeah, you sir, are an ID10T!

Do you want a made-up explanation as to why this works, just to make you feel better? Magnets. Blaster bolts are gasses that have been excited into a plasmic state and surrounded by a magnetic field to hold them together. Just pretend that magnetic field homes in on dorks.

Best explanation so far.

Remember, when in doubt: magnets.

They are target seeking?

I would say you are shooting light but if they traveled at the speed of light it would look like a constant stream so blasters have to be firing some sort of projectile other then light which would mean they could be technologically enhanced to seek their target.

Since we're on the subject: I noticed that my lightsaber doesn't turn droids into piles of molten junk. Is there any lore to back this up?

Along these lines, I find it amazing my Sith Assassin opens with a stab of his light sabre through an opponent from stealth, and only damages the target (rather than outright killing it). Nor does he seem to remove any of the opponents limbs in combat.

How the movies have lied to me!

I wouldn't say it was "Bad Design" As others pointed out, this happens in many MMO's. However, It would deff add to the game if they one day in the far future implemented this time of shooting. Just like in "Combat Arms" It could be possible, and I bet many would enjoy this style of play made into this type of game.

It's great design. I don't even want to imagine all the QQ threads because blasters are useless in this game if they didn't "hom in on targets.

They dont "home in" in the sense that if they didnt you would miss. This is an RPG that uses an RNG system. The moment you press the attack button the program determines if you hit and how much damage you do. The visible blaster shot has nothing to do with this process. It is merely a visual overlay to make you feel like you are shooting something.

I wouldn't say it was "Bad Design" As others pointed out, this happens in many MMO's. However, It would deff add to the game if they one day in the far future implemented this time of shooting. Just like in "Combat Arms" It could be possible, and I bet many would enjoy this style of play made into this type of game.

Actually...Dungeons and Dragons Online did this....what...6 years ago now?