Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Leveling to 50 - it's way too fast

Trimsic

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sad that I am skipping ENTIRE PLANETS...

I have never had to, or wanted to skip a planet because of out leveling anything. And your ranting about being outlevel of gear on the next planet is silly and specious.

I'm sad that you necroed up this old arse thread again.

The reasons for being always ahead of content in this game are:

- Quests are rewarding too much XP

- War zones are rewarding too much XP

- Space combats are rewarding too much XP

Bioware put in more options for earnng experience then any other MMO. Just because you choose to do them all is not their fault, it's yours. They did not design the games leveling curve on the assumption you would use quests, warzones and space combat all together on the typical character.

I skip warzones and space combat completely while leveling. My characters hit Tatooine at level 25 pretty consistently just doing quests (and I skip the sink holes called the bonus series as it is there to fill up your xp if you are short before going to the next planet).

So all your contrived logic to justify that leveling to 50 is way to fast is flawed.

If you are leveling too fast, SLOW down. Spread out your gaming experience into other non xp generating features of this game some. And stop spacebaring through cutscenes.

Interesting contrast: about once a week we get a cry baby thread here about how it's too hard to level in this game. Those are corner cases in the population, as are you.

Edited by Andryah

For me, the biggest let down of this game (which I love, by the way), is I am punished with a faceroll and crap gear rewards/useless tokens on the next planet I go to because I decided to complete all (or nearly all) the side missions on the previous planet.

Hey, bro... I hear you. But here's the deal - if you do all of the side quests on a planet plus your story line, you'll probably start to out-level the content for the next world. And every world that you continue to do the above will move you a little further out than what you experienced on the previous planet. This has been my experience.

I, like you, love doing all of the content and experiencing the Star Wars lore. But BioWare didn't design the game to be played by one toon imo. They designed it for the majority, meaning that it caters to the kind of player that doesn't like to do "every" quest available. (Most folks feel that doing every quest is a "grind" and not fun.) So for folks like you and me, you have to alter your approach a bit or you will be disappointed with the over-all experience.

What I did was abandon my first toon at lvl 28. He was so far ahead - about 5-6 levels. And like you, he was facerolling the mobs in his storyline content. So I started a new toon of the same class. But this time, I didn't do any of the bonuses and selected only the side missions that sounded most intersting. I took that toon up to level 50 and never had the problem of being grossly ahead of the content. (I was even behind at certain points in my 40s.) The next toon I created, I did some of the missions that I had skipped on my lvl 50 toon. (Some I repeated because they were too dang fun..lol! Others were totally new to me.) This was a good approach for me, because once you get to Coruscant, all the side quests from that point forward are the same for every toon.

The next toon that I'll make will probably get me finished with all of the possible side missions. Then I'll turn my sights on doing more flashpoints and some PVP perhaps. (Oh and I want to complete all of the the space missions on one of my toons at some point.)

I'm going to do the above on every class on Republic and then on the Imp side. So far, the stories are pretty good. I've enjoyed them!

I hope this approach helps you if you read this.:)

-Sneaky :wea_03:

It's possible to out-level the content if you do other content, yes, but I think they wanted the leveling to still work for players who don't do the flashpoints, heroics, warzones, space combat, or anything else other than the quests. If you do anything else, you're going to level faster.

As to whether level 50 comes to fast or not, how many hours does it take for someone who does just the regular questing? 40? 100? I've probably put in 20 or so and I'm level 19. I think it's about right.

If you know where you're going, it's faster than that. I did 1-16 (end of coruscant) in like 5-6 hours. Put another 2-3 to finish Taris, that would make you around 20 in like 8-9 hours. You gotta skip some quests though.

I believe it is way too fast. Im on my first play through, I don't play alot but so far i'm level 30.

But quests on the planets im at for my class quests are too low lvl for me and I barely do any PVP or flashpoints. From what i've read it seems ill spend a week or two at lvl 50 and then move on to another game. Im def not gonna reroll for some new content when I could just play something else.

I think if bioware just decreased the exp recieved by quests by a certain percent it would:

a. let more people enjoy the game for longer

b. mean slightly less people complaining about being bored at 50

c. let people experience more of the planets and dev's work because you could stop at a planet and do all the side quests, not just popping in to do your class ones and leaving because everything is too easy

and most importantly,

d. make the game alot more fun during levelling as you would be lower level, effectively making quests not as mind numbingly easy

I find the leveling to be on par with pretty any MMO out there at the moment. We are in the "GO GO GO" generation of MMO's. It's awesome that Bioware put in voice acting to try and bring back the RPG in MMO's but they will soon succumb to this new generation of disenfranchised WoW players.

There are two issues in this thread

There's only one issue in this thread - that it was necro'd after 6 weeks.

Edit: Lol at Valerii. Dangit, you beat me to it.

Edited by Ashton

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

As a consequence, you can see people that have already reached level 50...

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

=> Biowave, please open up your eyes, and react before it's too late.

Edit 12/29

On my server, there are already many players who have reached level 50, PvP rank 50, and have the full PvP set... just 2 weeks after the early launch and 1 week after the official launch. Go figure.

It's way too fast. What shall Bioware do now, as those players with such a stuff will just outrageously dominate the other players in the battlefield ?

I love it that way. I can level 2 toons at once. One does all the quests. The other does PvP and class quests. Most content doesn't seem to b balanced for the intended level anyway. It also helps to be able to do heroic 4s with 2 ppl or heric 2's solo. I look for groups, but I'm not going to sit around for hours begging for one. I'd probably hate this game if I could stay ahead levelwise.

Hey, bro... I hear you. But here's the deal - if you do all of the side quests on a planet plus your story line, you'll probably start to out-level the content for the next world. And every world that you continue to do the above will move you a little further out than what you experienced on the previous planet. This has been my experience.

I, like you, love doing all of the content and experiencing the Star Wars lore. But BioWare didn't design the game to be played by one toon imo. They designed it for the majority, meaning that it caters to the kind of player that doesn't like to do "every" quest available. (Most folks feel that doing every quest is a "grind" and not fun.) So for folks like you and me, you have to alter your approach a bit or you will be disappointed with the over-all experience.

What I did was abandon my first toon at lvl 28. He was so far ahead - about 5-6 levels. And like you, he was facerolling the mobs in his storyline content. So I started a new toon of the same class. But this time, I didn't do any of the bonuses and selected only the side missions that sounded most intersting. I took that toon up to level 50 and never had the problem of being grossly ahead of the content. (I was even behind at certain points in my 40s.) The next toon I created, I did some of the missions that I had skipped on my lvl 50 toon. (Some I repeated because they were too dang fun..lol! Others were totally new to me.) This was a good approach for me, because once you get to Coruscant, all the side quests from that point forward are the same for every toon.

The next toon that I'll make will probably get me finished with all of the possible side missions. Then I'll turn my sights on doing more flashpoints and some PVP perhaps. (Oh and I want to complete all of the the space missions on one of my toons at some point.)

I'm going to do the above on every class on Republic and then on the Imp side. So far, the stories are pretty good. I've enjoyed them!

I hope this approach helps you if you read this.:)

-Sneaky :wea_03:

Sneaky,

Thanks for the reply and I see your point. I'm going to take your advice for now. However, I just feel a little schizophrenic with my characters in that I cannot have one character explore too many side-quests (forget about pvp, flashpoints or space missions entirely) without making the game way too easy. Thus far I have just sent my companions on missions and worn vanity gear while questing on the planets I have out-levelled. If there were an option to switch off XP (e.g., a checkbox or by paying credits to an NPC), that would be great and I think it would make both the people that think leveling is too slow and too fast happy.

Leveling to 50 IS too fast. There's plenty of good content to look forward to while leveling. Hell, it's mostly all that this game's got.

But indeed, it is too late. Too many people are 50 now. Damage is done.

I wish it was too fast.

i hate being underleveled for a planet.

tho i can attribute that to being on a low pop server thus no heroic quests OR flashpoints.

Do space missions - they are an insane amount of XP.

Leveling to 50 IS too fast. There's plenty of good content to look forward to while leveling. Hell, it's mostly all that this game's got.

But indeed, it is too late. Too many people are 50 now. Damage is done.

Nah it's rarely "too late". What they could do is lowering the xp gain rate as soon as possible and lowering it even more for 1.3 or for the 1st expansion.

Why do I feel that someone will post: "The way SWTOR is going, I highly doubt they'll even get to an expansion". :p

Now that I've started a new alt, leveling is fine.

The problem was that space missions and PvP gave A LOT of xp. I'm not sure if that has been balanced after 1.2.

Without doing space missions and only a few pvp on my new alt, I find that leveling is smooth now.

The game's been out for TWO WEEKS (ONE if you didn't get the early start!)

Do you know how long it took Blizzard to come out with Molten Core?

Stop comparing a game from 8yrs ago with a game in 2012, before Molten Core such types of raids never even existed in mmo gaming industry, honestly you cant compare revolutionary ideas to modern times. The fact is if a game cant have the basics down and add something more they are a failure. Hence SWTOR is slowly decaying because it failed to deliver a game of year 2012 when our technology is so much more advanced, ffs we have hand held phones that do everything a computer can do now days that stuff wasnt around when WOW first came out. Standards are much higher now days.

Edited by unseenmaji

• 2 weeks later...
Nah it's rarely "too late". What they could do is lowering the xp gain rate as soon as possible and lowering it even more for 1.3 or for the 1st expansion.

Why do I feel that someone will post: "The way SWTOR is going, I highly doubt they'll even get to an expansion". :p

I hate to prove you right, but....

With the way swtor is going, we'll be lucky if the game is still subscription based by the time that xfers/merges get around to us, to say nothing at all of expansions.

totally agree, there is no satisfaction of reaching 50, no real feel of achievement.

Too easy, no challenge except for some class quests or heroic content

Characters dont feel heroic at all, actually feel weaker as you level, not stronger.

So many poor design choices in this game is making SWG look like a diamond and it wasnt by any stretch of the imagination, but all in all i think this game is dead in the water for the above reasons and many many others.

Heck, 25% of the population dont quit a game over a 2 month period unless theres something seriously wrong with the game, yet, the head in the sand will convince them its the 25% that wouldnt stick around no matter the game.

OP, If Bioware reduced XP gain no one would bloody play this game!

When you're working you barely have that much time to play to level as it is, and the grind you have to do through all the quests is unbearable. You have to go through the SAME quests with the SAME planets through to 50! If they reduce XP gain, nobody is going to play this game!

Who would want to do the same things over and over and forced to do it even longer because the XP gain was reduced?

OP get a job.

We level too slow. The story is too spread out. There's no many "filler" missions that don't have interesting stories and suck.

I'd be really good with drastically reducing leveling time, especially since I don't play games all day like I used to :p.

Also, alts. They're soooo boring. We should level them purely on the class missions basically. That would be wonderful. I've done all that stuff before, I don't want to do it again.

:)

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

As a consequence, you can see people that have already reached level 50...

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

Edit 12/29

On my server, there are already many players who have reached level 50, PvP rank 50, and have the full PvP set... just 2 weeks after the early launch and 1 week after the official launch. Go figure.

It's way too fast. What shall Bioware do now, as those players with such a stuff will just outrageously dominate the other players in the battlefield ?

I don't go Warzones, as going in before level 50 is pointless.

I don't do the space combat, because frankly i don't like it much.

I do 2 and 4 man Heroic quests as they are available.

No Flashpoints (I've seriously been to Fleet twice, ever)

I do the main story quest and side quests per planet, then just the main story bonus series for the orange item.

I find I'm 1-2 levels above the minimum level range for new planets, so I'm basically staying perfectly in line with them.

I think the issue is, you're getting to much EXP outside of the planets. The quest EXP is perfect, its not too high. I don't want to be made to do space combat to level up, if i had to do it, I'd probably quit, I can't stand it.

I think quite the opposite... For me it's too slow, been playing since beta and my main toon is only lvl46. I can only play casually so I can't zoom through... But I since 1.2 I did not play much at all, sound is broken which is a gamebreaker for me and nothing has been done to address the sound issues since. Before 1.2 everything was fine...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.