Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

Thought it was a 72 hour cooldown.

I have not used it personally, but the tooltip on the rename cert in the CCM says: (30 days cooldown). If it's wrong.. someone needs to bug_report it.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not used it personally, but the tooltip on the rename cert in the GTN says: (30 days cooldown). If it's wrong.. someone needs to bug_report it.

Sorry let me clarify......72 hour cooldown on the transfers.

I don't have an issue with paid transfers in general, but be careful what you say. They have pretty much copied exactly what other MMOs do with very little success. This game is basically being carried by the Star Wars name at this point, not because they do what everyone else does.

Which really has nothing to do with what I said. Solely talking about Server Transfers here.

They're offering the service in a BETTER way than other MMOs. And for a smaller cost (no extra cost if you're a sub and wait long enough). His issue is with the payment -- I think it is clear they are already having issues with the APAC transfers, but those will be given top priority to fix as they are linked to RL$.

Is the "big pvp patch" coming in patch 2.4 going to include cross-server PVP queues? A lot of people are considering switching servers to be on more PVP focused servers for better ranked queue times, and it would be unfortunate to "waste" money on a transfer when cross-server queues are coming in a couple months.

^^^ vital question that really needs to be addressed before they roll this out

Which really has nothing to do with what I said. Solely talking about Server Transfers here.

They're offering the service in a BETTER way than other MMOs. And for a smaller cost (no extra cost if you're a sub and wait long enough). His issue is with the payment -- I think it is clear they are already having issues with the APAC transfers, but those will be given top priority to fix as they are linked to RL$.

You specifically reasoned that it was fine because it's what everyone else does. The fact that what they have tried to copy from other games has failed is extremely relevant. This game is legacy based, it's all about rolling alts and story based content, right? Having a legacy transfer option would be perfect for this game, but they decided to just copy what everyone else does, right?

Just because it works well for someone else, doesn't mean it works for you. Other games don't have players that ultimately got forced onto one server with 12 others and may prefer another location now. Maybe allowing leniency for a short time to get where you want to be before charging full price to transfer might be nice. Other games haven't done that, so SWTOR didn't.

They need to stop copying other games and think for themselves for a change.

Edited for mt

Edited by Jadescythe

I have some questions still.

First, thank you for posting this.

Second, the price isn't bad.

Now my questions.

1) Are we free to go from anywhere to anywhere?

1a) Are we free to go from PVP <-> PVE servers?

1b) Are there restrictions based on server pops?

2) Are there going to be discounts for account transfers? Meaning, if I have multiple characters I want to transfer, is there an account cost for all of them? Like a global unlock? So all of your characters for 5000 coins or something like that?

3) Just a minor annoyance, why don't legacy levels stack? I mean, there is legacy experience already accounted for, just sum it up. Even with that, it still isn't really enough, since you have to make a certain point before even collecting the legacy. At least the legacy experience should add up. This is minor to me and not worth a delay, just thought that would be easy to implement in the first place.

Thanks for the info!

You specifically reasoned that it was fine because it's what everyone else does. The fact that what they have tried to copy from other games has failed is extremely relevant. This game is legacy based, it's all about rolling alts and story based content, right? Having a legacy transfer option would be perfect for this game, but they decided to just copy what everyone else does, right?

I'm saying THE PRICE is PERFECTLY fine. In fact, I think it should be 2400 CCs and not 1800.

I've also said NUMEROUS times that they SHOULD implement a legacy feature. Maybe full-legacy for ~5500CCs.

Guess what? Are you paying any attention to the APAC transfers right now? It's a sh**show. Would you rather have THE OPTION to transfer individual characters now, or wait another 6+ months and also have a legacy option at the same time? I think most people would rather have the single-char now -- considering many of the complaints on the forums are people who want to transfer 1 or 2 toons.

Thank you, though, for reading WAY too much into my response to someone else, and imposing your OWN idea on what I said. That was a lot of words to put in someone elses mouth, must've been tiresome.

Will my Legacy, Achievements, and Collections all transfer with my character?

Yes! All of your Legacy unlocks, Achievements earned, and triggered Collections will be waiting for you.

-eric

Now, do those unlocks include class buffs and companion bonus unlocks?

I'm saying THE PRICE is PERFECTLY fine. In fact, I think it should be 2400 CCs and not 1800.

I've also said NUMEROUS times that they SHOULD implement a legacy feature. Maybe full-legacy for ~5500CCs.

Guess what? Are you paying any attention to the APAC transfers right now? It's a sh**show. Would you rather have THE OPTION to transfer individual characters now, or wait another 6+ months and also have a legacy option at the same time? I think most people would rather have the single-char now -- considering many of the complaints on the forums are people who want to transfer 1 or 2 toons.

Thank you, though, for reading WAY too much into my response to someone else, and imposing your OWN idea on what I said. That was a lot of words to put in someone elses mouth, must've been tiresome.

You seem to labor under the delusion that everything is ok because it's already done that way. While I offered more in my post than simply price, it was just to illustrate my point. Saying the price is fine because it's what a transfer costs in whatever other game is not a valid argument. This is not other MMOs.

Simple argument against what you said: based on consolidation issues, lack of options from consolidation, and overall lack of cross server anything, server transfers should cost significantly less than they are planning to charge for at least a month if not permanently since these issues aren't getting resolved. Not because it's similar to other MMOs, but because other MMOs don't fail as much.

You seem to labor under the delusion that everything is ok because it's already done that way. While I offered more in my post than simply price, it was just to illustrate my point. Saying the price is fine because it's what a transfer costs in whatever other game is not a valid argument. This is not other MMOs.

Simple argument against what you said: based on consolidation issues, lack of options from consolidation, and overall lack of cross server anything, server transfers should cost significantly less than they are planning to charge for at least a month if not permanently since these issues aren't getting resolved. Not because it's similar to other MMOs, but because other MMOs don't fail as much.

Good for you.

Now leave me alone to my opinion, which is just as "wrong" or "right" as yours. And do NOT put words in my mouth.

And, no need to resort to ad hominem because you feel you're superior. You aren't. You are no better or worse than anyone else on the forums.

But, guess what? When people start eating up these transfers, it'll show that MANY more people are OK with the pricepoint than you think. BW may be doing a poor job of development, but they have brilliant marketing people -- evidenced by the massive jump in profit thanks to the CM.

Is the "big pvp patch" coming in patch 2.4 going to include cross-server PVP queues? A lot of people are considering switching servers to be on more PVP focused servers for better ranked queue times, and it would be unfortunate to "waste" money on a transfer when cross-server queues are coming in a couple months.

I would also like to know this. My guild is thinking about moving to a new server again for PVP stuff, and if we could just stay where we are and get our original characters back, that'd be nice.

I have some questions still.

First, thank you for posting this.

Second, the price isn't bad.

Now my questions.

1) Are we free to go from anywhere to anywhere?

1a) Are we free to go from PVP <-> PVE servers?

1b) Are there restrictions based on server pops?

2) Are there going to be discounts for account transfers? Meaning, if I have multiple characters I want to transfer, is there an account cost for all of them? Like a global unlock? So all of your characters for 5000 coins or something like that?

3) Just a minor annoyance, why don't legacy levels stack? I mean, there is legacy experience already accounted for, just sum it up. Even with that, it still isn't really enough, since you have to make a certain point before even collecting the legacy. At least the legacy experience should add up. This is minor to me and not worth a delay, just thought that would be easy to implement in the first place.

Thanks for the info!

^^^ Bump for these ones answered as well, please.

^this

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that your free transfers are now open! In order to transfer your character, follow these steps:

• Go to your “My Account” page by clicking on your username in the top right corner of SWTOR.com
  • On the left hand side, scroll down to Character Transfer
  • Once there, select your current APAC server and then the character you wish to transfer
  • Now select your destination server (where you want to move your character to)
  • Press the transfer button

One thing to keep in mind is that any characters which you do not transfer will be moved as a part of the APAC server consolidations as follows:

• Dalborra -> The Harbinger
  • Master Dar’Nala -> The Bastion
  • Gav Daragon -> Bergeren Colony

Server consolidations will happen in approximately 60 days, more info to follow. Thanks!

-eric

Not sure if this information was pertinent or not to some of the subject matter discussed here.

But, guess what? When people start eating up these transfers, it'll show that MANY more people are OK with the pricepoint than you think. BW may be doing a poor job of development, but they have brilliant marketing people -- evidenced by the massive jump in profit thanks to the CM.

*shrug* I hope they do. I like the game and I like BioWare, so I wish them success. However, I would never, ever, ever pay $15 to transfer a single character in a game that hitched its longevity to rolling alts. Ever.

I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but I have heard--ad nauseum today--that this price is super-perfect-great-happy-fun-time because it's actually less than what WoW charges. To me, this is not an argument. What this actually is is a logical fallacy called begging the question.

"Why should character transfers be pricy?"

"Because that's what they cost."

Well, no. They only cost that much because some company decided to--for all we know--arbitrarily set that price point. Is that the best price point? I don't know. The only thing I can say for certain is that anybody in this thread who claims to know for a fact that they wouldn't make a lot more money by reducing the price to, say, $5, is speaking out of his you-know-where.

With 8 characters, I'd consider dropping $40 to move them all. Not a chance at a $120 price tag. In other words, BioWare could have had $40 from me, but instead, they're getting $0. Am I the minority? Maybe. But you don't know that.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

If they added restrictions there wouldn't be paid transfers but rather free transfers. I think your a minority with that dictator mind set.

Read the Transfer FAQ and look up Paid Transfers. Stop whining because you aren't allowed to trap everyone on the island like North Korea.

Where is this Transfer FAQ? This the only FAQ I could find, and it's still talking about the server merger transfers:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/5268

You're assuming a lot incorrectly. I have no power or control over anyone. I'm not trying to "trap" anyone anywhere, nor could I. And that mindset is the same one developers have when they say stuff like: "Can I transfer my character to any server I wish? Not as part of the initial Character Transfer Service. By encouraging players to transfer characters to and from specified servers, we hope to ensure balanced server populations across the service." Obviously that's about the old mergers and not about the paid transfers.

I'm just worried, concerned, and want information. I've seen optional server transfers destroy servers and great communities too many times in too many games over the years. Unrestricted transfers can be just as dictatorial as restricted transfers or no transfers.

It can start in many ways, like one or two major guilds transferring, then one or two others feel compelled to follow because those guilds were their major competition. This in turn compels even more people to leave. Either way, once the ball starts rolling, it becomes a slippery slope. People feel increasingly pressured to leave whether they really want to or not because the server becomes increasingly dead. They "have to" transfer because they can't do anything otherwise. Tyranny of the majority is the worst kind of dictatorship IMO.

*shrug* I hope they do. I like the game and I like BioWare, so I wish them success. However, I would never, ever, ever pay $15 to transfer a single character in a game that hitched its longevity to rolling alts. Ever.

I could not agree with you more. Move one, keep your Legacy level and be done with it imo. Alts are the "end game" content in SWTOR for most players.

Hey wait, can you buy transfers now? Sorry not up to date on swtor news.

Nope but in the range of June 11th to the end of the month it will be. Sometime in 2.2 so it could be 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 or exactly 2.2 which is almost the same way they changed the way you logged in with the expansion. 2.2+transfer service/2.0+Login Info Change

Hey folks,

I hope that clears some things up! Let me know if there are any major questions still pending that I missed.

-eric

Will transfers from PvP servers to PvE servers be allowed?

Will transfers from PvE servers to PvP servers be allowed?

Eh, if my prediction comes true, and I really hope it doesn't, by the time they make cross-server queues there'd be no point cuz the vast majority of the pvp community will have self-merged/self-consolidated onto one or two pvp mega-servers anyway.

Will transfers from PvP servers to PvE servers be allowed?

Will transfers from PvE servers to PvP servers be allowed?

They'd better be allowed.

I reckon they will be, but I'll not be pleased if they're not.

I'm just worried, concerned, and want information. I've seen optional server transfers destroy servers and great communities too many times in too many games over the years. Unrestricted transfers can be just as dictatorial as restricted transfers or no transfers.

I can see your point but the same can be said about restricted transfers. People become mad about the restrictions people leave, it destroys servers and communities and eventually possibly the game. Its all about which crowd do you pick to please, and which crowd do you pick to displease.

Restricted transfers ruin the whole purpose of paid transfers. Removing server types of RP/PVE/PVP would fix the problem if you like to see diverse servers, it would displease a crowd of course but honestly I wouldn't mind if they removed server types all together but that's just a whole 'nother discussion.

Anyway ya, the more freedom the better, maybe add another option called Restricted Transfers and make them cheap like 900 cartel coins per character or something.

Edited by Jonoku