Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

All in all we all know that BW hasn't made the best decisions on a number of points but it's no use crying over spilt milk. I like the game and they need to keep improving PvE for me. I hope the PvP'ers will get stuff that makes them happy later this year and that's where the plan is. You can cry till September/October that it's not fair, but the reality is that the PvP update won't come sooner. It is what it is. The transfer are coming sooner and I am sure a number of people will be pleased with that at least.

Quoted out of respect and admiration for your pragmatism. :) There is so little of it to be found in the forums, that it deserves a quote.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still hoping to hear something about naming. I would assume that if you are transferring a character and their name is already taken on the destination server, you will have to change it, regardless of whether the name is taken by a character that belongs to you or a character that belongs to another player. But Eric specifically posted that you will have to change it if "another player" has the name, and I have learned the hard way that one should never assume things based on common sense or previous actions in cases such as these (ex, pre-2.1: "oh, of course Chiss will be able to use the new hair options, they have all the human hairstyles so why wouldn't they?"). :p

You are not alone in assuming things will be the way they usually do things, I too assume it will be as always. :rolleyes:

I responded to your earlier post I think on page 24 or 25, but my response was purely going on assumption, but

I'm still going to cover the bases and create characters on the Destination Server I'm wanting to transfer a couple

to. I play on another because my Daughter plays on it, so I just want my Legacy higher on her server so I feel more like I'm playing on my everyday server :)

As far as the names, I'm going on my (and others) assumptions, that name will be changed on the transferring character if the name already is used on the Destination Server. I'm going to, or already have, create(d) a character to hold onto the name I want to keep, then when I do the transfer, delete temp character (name holder) and then rename the transferred character to that name.

As far as someone else other than you having the name you want to keep, that's a whole new problem. And one there really is nothing we can do about. Best we can do is come close with a special character letter or something :(

This was my other post to your first post, so you don't have to go page jumping :p

I think it will work the same as other games have done, also, same as SWToR has done in the past when Server Merges were happening. If you have a character named "Rock" on the destination Server, and you want to transfer a character from another Server with the name "Rock", the transferred character ( or Rock ) lol, will be flagged to change names when they first log in on the new Server, because "Rock" already lives there, and was there first :)

What I have done, is create a character on the destination Server named "Rock" that I did nothing with, it was just a name holder, so when the real "Rock" got there, I just deleted fake "Rock" and then re-named "Rock" to "Rock" :cool:

note: "Rock" is only used as an example, if I offend anyone by using an actual character name of someone, that was not my intention :) If "Rock" is a name someone has used for a character, then replace "Rock" with "Paper' :o

Seriously though, I am pretty confident they will follow the normal method on character names with the transfers, so if you have a name you really care about, make sure you check and create a name holder on the destination server so you won't be disappointed when you do the transfer :)

Hope that helps!

Pretty much. I was expecting $20-$25 for a paid transfer. 1800CC is dirt cheap. This community and its QQ knows no bounds.

I agree.

I was expecting paid transfers (ie: $$ only, no CC) and at industry standard prices.

This approach is a much better deal.

Yeah yeah... people want full legacy bulk transfers... I hear it.... Guess what though.... it's not here.. so crying about it is kind of pointless. You can move the full effects of your legacy with one character... so really who needs to move multiple characters? I get that some people want to... but want and need are two different thresholds. For the minority that "want" to.. you can.. and you can buy CCs in bulk on your account and drive your total cost down too. You also can tap and spend your pile of coins given to you by Bioware as well. So there are a number of ways for the enterprising player to defray the true costs to them of moving a full server of characters if that's what they "want" to do.

Yeah yeah... people want full legacy bulk transfers... I hear it.... Guess what though.... it's not here.. so crying about it is kind of pointless. You can move the full effects of your legacy with one character... so really who needs to move multiple characters? I get that some people want to... but want and need are two different thresholds. For the minority that "want" to.. you can.. and you can buy CCs in bulk on your account and drive your total cost down too. You also can tap and spend your pile of coins given to you by Bioware as well. So there are a number of ways for the enterprising player to defray the true costs to them of moving a full server of characters if that's what they "want" to do.

I appreciate the update :D. I have a question, first let me state my goals.

My plan is to move 3 characters with their legacy to merge with another legacy I already have on another server. With that being said, I also want to leave one character behind but I want the legacy to transfer with the 3 characters. Its conflicted if I have a hard time transferring my legacy with the 3 characters to my destination server.

So how will segregating your characters and legacy work when you transfer? Do you need to transfer all characters off the server to transfer your legacy? Or you don't need to?

Thanks Eric :D

So that answers my question, so all you need is to transfer one character to transfer your entire legacy. Thanks Andryah :D

Chances are, there two kinds of posters in this thread are...

People whom are on servers they don't plan on transfering anyway ~

" It's relatively cheap! "

" Stop complaining! "

" Deal with it! "

People whom are on servers they do plan to transfer off of for various reasons ~

" Well ****, It's gonna cost 14,400 CCs to move all my characters... "

This was my other post to your first post, so you don't have to go page jumping :p

Ah, thank you! I always feel silly quoting and replying to messages that have been buried in a sea of pages, I appreciate the re-post. :) I sure do hope it works that way! Let's cross our fingers. ^^

" Stop complaining! "

" Deal with it! "

People whom are on servers they do plan to transfer off of for various reasons ~

You gotta split up the type of people that are transferring too. Some are only transferring one, some are only transferring few and some are transferring multiple/many toons. Like Icebergy for example, he is only transferring one and his reponse is basically its relatively cheap. I enjoy the debate tho. Me personally idc, just give me the option to transfer.

I agree.

I was expecting paid transfers (ie: $$ only, no CC) and at industry standard prices.

This approach is a much better deal.

Agree 100%!

I for one think this is a great way to do the Paid Server Transfers. I move one character from my level 50 Legacy Server to my daughter's Server which I have a level 2 or 3 Legacy, and done. Now I have both Servers with level 50 Legacy! Awesome deal.

I'm one to buy what I want from the Cartel Market off the GTN, with an occasional splurge from my CC's saved up from all the 600 a month given to us for subbing! So, Great! I spend 1800 CC's, send one character to my Daughter's Server, cool, now my Legacy 50 is on her Server too! Awesome!!

I am currently on an North American Server (Jedi Covenant). I rolled on North American servers even though I am from Europe as i Used to work full times night shifts so these servers suited my play times better on my days off.

Now i work days shifts and was wondering If when server transfers come out I will be able to move my characters to a European server from the NA servers. I have a lvl 43 legacy that I would rather not have to leave.

Surely I cannot be the only person in this predicament.

I am looking for a simple answer here as I have been searching the forums and asking in game for the last 20 minutes with no clear answers. Anyone that could help I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you.

I am currently on an North American Server (Jedi Covenant). I rolled on North American servers even though I am from Europe as i Used to work full times night shifts so these servers suited my play times better on my days off.

Now i work days shifts and was wondering If when server transfers come out I will be able to move my characters to a European server from the NA servers. I have a lvl 43 legacy that I would rather not have to leave.

I am looking for a simple answer here as I have been searching the forums and asking in game for the last 20 minutes with no clear answers. Anyone that could help I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you.

At the moment, there is no answer on that. Best bet is to watch the Transfer FAQ to see if it changes, watch Dev Tracker to see if we get a response -- or just wait 'till Tuesday and try it out.

Good luck!

Thank you.

According to the Character Transfer Page under "My Account", one can not transfer from America to Europe or vice versa. It is disappointing. Hopefully its not etched in stone.

Thank you.

This is only an assumption on my part, but I wouldn't think there would be a limitation on which Server you want to transfer from / to. With that said, I would imagine when you go to the Character Transfer page Tuesday on your Account page, you pay 1800 CC's, pick character to transfer, then pick Server to transfer to. I would also imagine you would have a choice of NA Servers and European Servers. The only Servers you won't be able to transfer to now are the APAC Servers for obvious reasons.:)

Agree 100%!

I for one think this is a great way to do the Paid Server Transfers. I move one character from my level 50 Legacy Server to my daughter's Server which I have a level 2 or 3 Legacy, and done. Now I have both Servers with level 50 Legacy! Awesome deal.

I'm one to buy what I want from the Cartel Market off the GTN, with an occasional splurge from my CC's saved up from all the 600 a month given to us for subbing! So, Great! I spend 1800 CC's, send one character to my Daughter's Server, cool, now my Legacy 50 is on her Server too! Awesome!!

I believe you just jinxed it, I knew someone would think of this. inb4 they delay transfers to change it so that doesn't happen.

You might be the first MMO player to go on record as saying quality of play =/= added value to the player.

Allow me to elaborate:

Added value IMO is content such as RotHC, events, CC iems, and update content (WZ's, etc.). It adds to the game content. I would say that even CC purchases for goods or the bonus items in the CE box can be considered added value.

Quality of play IMO is the quality of build (patches, etc.), mechanics, stability improvements, ease of use features, systems like groupfinder, and other similar play improvements. Server transfers IMO serve the same purpose as Groupfinder.

You can have a game with all the bells and whistles in the world, but if it's laggy, or poorly coded, or you can't enjoy it with your friends, you won't enjoy it.

I believe you just jinxed it, I knew someone would think of this. inb4 they delay transfers to change it so that doesn't happen.

But, but,,, Eric Musco said :

Hey folks,

I know there have been quite a few questions around paid character transfers so I spent some time rounding up the answers to the more heavily asked ones and here they are! If there are any that I missed please feel free to post them in this thread and I will see what I can find out.

How much do transfers cost?

Paid character transfers cost 1800 Cartel Coins per character. The purchase must be made using Cartel Coins.

Will my Legacy, Achievements, and Collections all transfer with my character?

Yes! All of your Legacy unlocks, Achievements earned, and triggered Collections will be waiting for you.

What happens if I have a Legacy on both my source and destination servers?

Whichever Legacy is of a higher level will take precedence and become your new Legacy. This has no affect on unlocks, the unlocks from both Legacies will combine. For example: You are transferring a character from the Bastion to the Harbinger. The character you are transferring from the Bastion is in a level 27 Legacy. Currently on Harbinger you have a level 13 Legacy. After the transfer you will now have a level 27 Legacy on Harbinger which combines the unlocks from both servers.

I hope that clears some things up! Let me know if there are any major questions still pending that I missed.

-eric

Keeping the Faith :)

Why? It's his characters on different servers. He's already acheived Level 50 Legacy, no reason to have to get Level 50 again.

Why? It's his characters on different servers. He's already acheived Level 50 Legacy, no reason to have to get Level 50 again.

I'm not against that, I just fear a change so that doesn't happen lol.

So I just read under account settings that you can't transfer from PVP to PVE or PVE to PVP.

I was soooo ready to spend some CC on this, I really hope this isn't the case when it goes live as I'm really wanting to pull my IA and JC over to my PVE server.

NVM, just read the last post by eric where he gave the example of transferring a PVP toon from there to a PVE server. Hopefully that is indeed the case :)

Edited by jscott
derp

What wasn't addressed is can I say transfer my one guy from a PVE server to my main server that's a PVP server?

He already gave a clue by saying an example of a character transferring from bastion to the harbinger.

" Stop complaining! "

" Deal with it! "

You forgot my group:

"People who were smart enough to reroll a long time ago instead of waiting for Bioware to fix their mistakes and now need to only transfer 1 character to combine legacies and get all the unlocks for the reroll server".

Please make a legacy transfer thingy i have 5 toons lvl 55 well geared,but my current server sucks so i want to move them to Po5 where all my friends are but it will cost like $80-$100,so if you put a legacy transfer option that cost like $30 or $50 that would be great :rolleyes:

Heres another question to be sure, does your cargo bank transfer over including all your cargo tabs, 1,2,3,4,5?

And one more....its getting buried......

There is one thing I am wondering about names, though. You mention that if your character's name is taken "by another player", you will have to rename. But I have two versions of the same character on different servers, with the same name -- does that mean I will have to rename the version that is on my "destination" server, instead of the character that I am transferring? I'm also wondering about this because I have made a couple of placeholder characters to save the names of certain characters I plan to transfer, and this has me wondering if I should delete these placeholders before I do the transfers or if the characters I am transferring over will get to keep their names anyway.
Edited by Jonoku