Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

So... I purchased extra character slots on Dalborra. Server closing is not my choice, and I must move my characters. But you're only giving me 12 character slots on Harbinger. Please fix.

All fixed ;)

When you purchased Character Slots on Dalborra, you also purchased Character Slots on every other Server,

since the Cartel Character Slot unlock is Account wide, not just Server to Server :)

There is a bug. you may have unlocked extra character slots but the transfer page assumes that you only have 12 character slots and refuses to allow you to transfer more characters

Edited by forumname

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW is not the only other game. Swtor's transfer costs is lower than the industry standard and also don't forget that Swtor is the 2nd largest subscription MMO in Western.

• Lord of the Rings Online: $24.95 / €21.95 / £18.95 / 2,995 Turbine Points
  • World of Warcraft: $25 / 20€ / £15
  • Everquest II: 2500 SC ($25 USD)
  • Guild Wars 2: $22 (1800 gems)
  • Swtor: 1800 CC (~$15 USD) or Free in 3-4 months for subscribers.

When I transferred in WoW it was to play with my brother-in-law and a few friends, totally my choice. But in TOR I'll have to do it cause no one is on my server, that's not my fault now is it? Do you want to make a character on my server and group with me? I'm just level 34 you'd probably hit that level in a few hours I bet :p

Oh and in RIFT it's free, that's a bit cheaper then TOR.

1) Give subscribers a discount or atleast one free charachter transfer. Subs keep the game alive and with all those bugs (bolster , chrashes ,etc) we had to endure it would be normal to grant us atleast 1 free transfer.

2) We pve-servers be able to transfer to PVP servers?

3) Why don't we get a discount if we want to move more than one character. :/

Hope you answer my questions...

Just read the Transfer FAQ and saw the line that you cannot transfer between US and EU servers - please tell me this will not be the case!

When SWTOR went live, the EU servers were bonkers (3+ hour queues) so I rolled on a US server - over the last 6 months or so both my personal life and in game experience has changed and I have started playing on an EU server. I was expecting to be able to transfer my toons from US to EU (after, this is more or less what the APAC folks are having to do) - so why the restriction?

Just read the Transfer FAQ and saw the line that you cannot transfer between US and EU servers - please tell me this will not be the case!

When SWTOR went live, the EU servers were bonkers (3+ hour queues) so I rolled on a US server - over the last 6 months or so both my personal life and in game experience has changed and I have started playing on an EU server. I was expecting to be able to transfer my toons from US to EU (after, this is more or less what the APAC folks are having to do) - so why the restriction?

Well, this is a bummer. :(

Although I've been around since the Beta-Times, I don't post much. However this issue has really pushed my button...

$13.10 per character transfer is ridiculous. I understand why they want a fee associated with transfers (server balance, economy, the minimal operational costs), but that is an absurd & greedy amount for what is almost no burden on staff and resources, I could understand a fee of 500cc's per transfer (for the reasons listed in the parentheses above), but 1800cc is greedy at best.

For those of us who would have quit due to boredom but have been waiting for this the join friends (and have a decent Legacy) the cost is thievery. The only reason I have continued to sub was to join old friends since the friends I've played with on my current server have all quit. I have 8 fully developed toons on my server, with Cartel Market gear and a complete mastery of all crafting. The cost for me simply a) keep what I've earned & paid for and b) to play with friends would be $104.74. Considering this is an existing system / mechanic and will create minimal technical and / or personnel burdens the only conclusion I can draw is that this is pure greed.

I have been a subscriber, I love Star Wars, and have invested considerable time and money (CC's) into the game, but at this point I must reconsider whether putting more time into this game makes sense with the knowledge that Bioware only sees me as a wallet. Luckily my subscription (6 month) expires in a few days.

$13.10 per character transfer is ridiculous. I understand why they want a fee associated with transfers (server balance, economy, the minimal operational costs), but that is an absurd & greedy amount for what is almost no burden on staff and resources, I could understand a fee of 500cc's per transfer (for the reasons listed in the parentheses above), but 1800cc is greedy at best.

For those of us who would have quit due to boredom but have been waiting for this the join friends (and have a decent Legacy) the cost is thievery. The only reason I have continued to sub was to join old friends since the friends I've played with on my current server have all quit. I have 8 fully developed toons on my server, with Cartel Market gear and a complete mastery of all crafting. The cost for me simply a) keep what I've earned & paid for and b) to play with friends would be $104.74. Considering this is an existing system / mechanic and will create minimal technical and / or personnel burdens the only conclusion I can draw is that this is pure greed.

1.) Cheaper than most other MMOs. HARDLY greedy -- more like a smart business move. People will buy them, and that is all that matters.

2.) So, BW should allow you to move for dirt cheap because your friends aren't playing anymore? Why are you a special snowflake?

3.) We don't know that there WON'T be a Legacy Transfer that is more reasonable for transfer 3+ toons.

For how long will be this service up????? Its during a month 2 months, forever??? because i don´t know if i can tranfer my toon to another server on the 11 of 6 because the cartel coins...

I can almost guarantee this service will be available until the game shuts down. No reason not to have it there.

If you want to move multiple toons -- I'd also recommend waiting it out a little, to see if we may get a Legacy transfer. Seems like something the community as a whole wants -- and would be beneficial to BW financially and in a PR sense.

Well blizzard charges $25 a toon on WoW. So Biowares cost isnt surprising at all. Yes the cost is expensive to transfer but I for one am happy we even have the option to transfer. So for me the cost is worth it rather than sitting on a server I don't care to be on.

W0W's "end game" isn't rolling alts...SWTOR's is. Apples and oranges my friend. If you had 13 toons that you had ground to 55, I have a feeling you too would be feeling somewhat cheated by the idea that you need to pay $14 per toon to move them.

A multi toon discount should be applied. To not offer that is wrong imo.

please BW let us do a free transfer... we are subs. most of us as more then 2 characters please make one free and we pay the 1800 CC for teh others. We are just asking for one character tranfer free, jsut one... please let us do it??? As i am writing this post i saw on my page that are some servers on the tranfer character tab...

well im playing in " the red eclipse" server, im a subscriber, and i want to transfer for "the tomb of freedon nadd".

WILL THIS BE POSSIBLE, OR WE GONNA HAVE JUST A FEW SERVER CHOICES??

CAN I TRANSFER MY TOON´S FOR ANY SERVER IN EU THAT I WANT???

TY PLEASE REPLY TO ME :)

Edited by ijustcantbelieve

Wow this is crazy.

I was absolutely thrilled that not only are they even letting us use CC at all to transfer, but the price is really pretty low. I wouldn't have even blinked an eye if they had listed the price as 3k CCs. I am absolutely happy with 1800. Its substantially lower than I was expecting to pay and substantially lower than what I had budgeted for it.

And people are still throwing temper trantrums.

Ok, so I just did the math on this and am even more confused as to why people are whining.

Here's the breakdown:

Regular Rate:

2400 Cartel Coins = $20

(used since this is the lowest amount that completely covers the Transfer)

At a rate of 120 CC = $1

1800/120 = $15

1 Transfer costs roughly $15 for non-subscribers.

Subscriber Rate:

600 Cartel Coins (subscriber allowance)

+

2400 Cartel Coins = $20

(used since this is the lowest amount that completely covers the Transfer)

At a rate of 120 CC = $1

1800-600=1200

1200/120= $10

1 Transfer costs roughly $10 for subscribers.

RESULTS:

Regular: $15

Subscriber: $10

Subscribers get a potential 33% discount on their 1st transfer of the month. :D

Even better! If you're a patient subscriber and don't spend the remaining 1200 CC then you get the same rate for the next month with no additional $$$ spent.

If I'm wrong, please show me the error in my math.

EDIT: Corrected a TON of typos...

The only issue here (for me) and I'm sure it's been brought up is that people have more than one character.

When I played other games, let's use WoW as an example, I only created 1 character, maybe 2. I'm not really an alt-aholic in most games and in games like WoW there isn't really any point in creating more than 2 characters.

SWTOR however, is really very different. I have 8 characters (one for each class story and it also allows me to have a character for every Advanced Class).

With that math it's going to cost me $115 to transfer all of my characters the first month. I'm on Jung Ma an RP-PVP server. A server which I love mind you, but I've heard there are other PVP servers with bigger communities.

So one thing that's been brought up that I agree with, is if there could be a Legacy-Transfer (or some kind of deal) to allow me to transfer all my characters at a cheaper rate. Maybe they will have a sale at some point. :confused:

Edited by Lionflash

I don't understand why anyone "needs" to transfer -- unless they have a handful of stranded toons.

If you "need" to transfer 12 toons -- WTH is the reasoning?! I can understand complaints about ranked WZs -- but those should be cross-server, and there really isn't much of a community for it on most servers. Many of the PvPers have left.

I don't see it as apples and oranges, Tux. We're being given an option to transfer, for a price, if we want to. People wanted paid transfers -- and we KNEW it wouldn't be dirt cheap or free. If people don't want to pay -- they can continue playing the game as if it was a few months ago, with absolutely no information about this service EVER being implemented.

The only issue here (for me) and I'm sure it's been brought up is that people have more than one character.

When I played other games, let's use WoW as an example, I only created 1 character, maybe 2. I'm not really an alt-aholic in most games and in games like WoW there isn't really any point in creating more than 2 characters.

SWTOR however, is really very different. I have 8 characters (one for each class story and it also allows me to have a character for every Advanced Class).

With that math it's going to cost me $115 to transfer all of my characters the first month. I'm on Jung Ma an RP-PVP server. A server which I love mind you, but I've heard there are other PVP servers with bigger communities.

So one thing that's been brought up that I agree with, is if there could be a Legacy-Transfer (or some kind of deal) to allow me to transfer all my characters at a cheaper rate. Maybe they will have a sale at some point. :confused:

Why do you NEED to transfer 12 characters? I am just taking my favorite character from my old server, loading him up with all the credits and valuable stuff from all my other characters on that server, and only transfering him. The rest will be staying on the old server. I already played them to 50 and saw their stories, so I don't need them anymore.

wow is successful subscription based mmo. swtor is not. wouldn't swtor be more comparable to rift, which as i understand is a f2p game now (swtor's model) and does not charge extra for transfers?

$13 may not be too expensive if i want to transfer 1 toon to a different server because for whatever reason i know people on that server and it would be more fun. that doesn't really seem like that common of an experience, at least based on my experience in the game. what i've seen is that i had 3 characters (1 to lvl 50) on a server that died. i don't think it's my fault there server died. i think EA or bioware could have addressed the problem at the time and they chose not to. so i rolled a new toon on a new server. again, 2 or 3 toons, got 1 up to 50, server died. bioware did nothing. ea did nothing. not my fault. i rolled a new toon on a 3rd server. still spread across 3 servers, total of 5 or 6 toons stranded. so now, what you guys are saying is, it's standard and reasonable in f2p MMOs in general, for me to pay $65 in addition to my subscription to fix the problem they created? i don't play those other MMOs, but it sure seems insulting to me.

The cost does seem a bit prohibitive, especially, as others have said, that a lot of us who don't really want to move servers will probably have to as the population plummets.

I have many toons on one server, as it made sense to further my legacy. It would suck to have to transfer 8 toons or whatever, especially as someone paying money each month for a sub.

Edited by Kirtastropohe

Why do you NEED to transfer 12 characters? I am just taking my favorite character from my old server, loading him up with all the credits and valuable stuff from all my other characters on that server, and only transfering him. The rest will be staying on the old server. I already played them to 50 and saw their stories, so I don't need them anymore.

I only have 8 characters, but while I don't need~ all 8 of them, I do want them all. I would consider myself a PVPer and my play style is that I like to swtich between characters. Sometimes I feel like playing a ranged DPS with my Gunslinger, and sometimes I like being a Healer with my Sorceror. Currently, I fell in love with the Vanguard.

While if I had to I could narrow the list down, I still feel like I can think of 4-5 out of my 8 characters that I would reeeaaaally want to bring over for my PVP roster.

I don't understand why anyone "needs" to transfer -- unless they have a handful of stranded toons.

If you "need" to transfer 12 toons -- WTH is the reasoning?! I can understand complaints about ranked WZs -- but those should be cross-server, and there really isn't much of a community for it on most servers. Many of the PvPers have left.

I don't see it as apples and oranges, Tux. We're being given an option to transfer, for a price, if we want to. People wanted paid transfers -- and we KNEW it wouldn't be dirt cheap or free. If people don't want to pay -- they can continue playing the game as if it was a few months ago, with absolutely no information about this service EVER being implemented.

regarding pvp, there is no cross-server queue. to say there should be doesn't help people who want to participate in ranked pvp. also, saying most people who like pvp left because bioware is largely ignoring the part of the game where people actually play it, is not going to help make this a better game. based just off your statement, it sounds to me like the devs have given up.

nobody needs to transfer. nobody needs to subscribe. nobody needs to play. good argument. we'll all follow the direction set by the dev team and play something else.

regarding pvp, there is no cross-server queue. to say there should be doesn't help people who want to participate in ranked pvp. also, saying most people who like pvp left because bioware is largely ignoring the part of the game where people actually play it, is not going to help make this a better game. based just off your statement, it sounds to me like the devs have given up.

nobody needs to transfer. nobody needs to subscribe. nobody needs to play. good argument. we'll all follow the direction set by the dev team and play something else.

You know, you're really good at strawman arguments!

I'm AWARE there is no cross-server. There SHOULD be. Character transfers SHOULD NOT be the fix for Ranked -- in fact, it'll just create more problems.

And I'm sorry that I'm telling the truth. PvPers aren't getting anything for quite some time, and haven't gotten anything but a new WZ. They've IGNORED PvP, and MANY people have left because of it. You being "upset" with the truth doesn't mean squat.

I question why, other than for PvP issues that should be fixed in other ways, anyone NEEDS to transfer. We had more options than they had to give us when they did server merges. Somehow, I don't have any issues with toons "stranded" on other servers -- even though I rolled on 2-3 servers before the merges.

If you are unable to answer my question, don't bother responding to it. It is a serious question, trying to understand the reasoning behind people being so upset at a perceived mistake BW "made".

"Need" huh? I guess you're right...they don't "need" to move crap do they? Hell, the idea that any of us "need" anything besides food and water is probably just as silly to you, right? Kilora...please don't use that stupid "need" or "entitled" argument with me. The fact is, none of us, not even YOU, need to do crap...so let us just put that foolish argument behind us and deal with what we, as customers, would like...because that's the ONLY thing that matters...what we LIKE...not "need".

Here's the problem - people have been encouraged in EVERY possible way to create alts. Legacy itself was to promote alt'ing. The games main draw was 8 unique class stories. They have given double XP weekends to help players cap on their toons. SWTOR isn't a game of ONE or even TWO toons to most players...it's been beaten into us all from the beginning, that creating alts was the thing to do once you reached 50/55. Alts is as much a part of the end game as transferring your gear is imo.

Another thing...those players with 4+ toons, they're also the kind of players who contribute the most to this game. When an Ops group needs a healer, they have one. When the tank drops from your GF PuG, they're the players who will log on their tank and help you finish it. The people with multiple toons, are (in my experience) the ones who have contributed the most to SWTOR for me.

To not offer a Legacy transfer is downright stupid...and it's only going to hurt you and me Kilora...Bioware doesn't give a flip what toons they transfer, they probably think they can sucker a few players into regrinding those alts, extending their subs a bit longer. To me however, I see the people who have helped me the most being hurt and gouged by this...not the average freaking player, but the players who contribute the most. That's just foolish.

there was not a strawman argument there, but i may have misunderstood what you're trying to say. if that's the case, i suppose my response was off-topic. i commented on what i think are you views on the legacy transfer thread, and i think it would be too redundant to repeat here. sorry for the cross-thread confusion i am now creating.

my personal "need" for transferring (if that was your question) is quite simply to fix the dead server problems they created at launch. abandoning my characters and starting over on new servers was my way of trying to fix the problem. i think that putting my characters together onto the single server i am currently active on would be a nice gesture on their part. in my opinion, that would put right where they went wrong. i'm not asking for extra compensation or anything, and will forgive the time that elapsed without adequately addressing the problems they created.

the other extreme would be for bioware to try to screw me as hard as they can. i'm not saying that's what is going to happen, but i have suspicions that their greed can become so blinding they abandon anything positive left in the game. maybe there is a middle ground between those 2 scenarios.

Kilora...please don't use that stupid "need" or "entitled" argument with me.

To not offer a Legacy transfer is downright stupid...and it's only going to hurt you and me Kilora...Bioware doesn't give a flip what toons they transfer, they probably think they can sucker a few players into regrinding those alts, extending their subs a bit longer. To me however, I see the people who have helped me the most being hurt and gouged by this...not the average freaking player, but the players who contribute the most. That's just foolish.

Snipped for relevance and brevity.

First off, CALM DOWN TUX. I'm not using any entitled argument. I could've phrased it better -- but I don't understand how BW is at fault for some of these issues. I ALSO re-rolled on the same server-type when our server was dead -- yet, I also had the option, briefly, to choose which server to transfer to. Unless I'm not remembering correctly and the stars just magically aligned for me and 3 servers all merged into the same exact one.

By "need" -- I mean, why do people feel so strongly about it? I have all of my toons on the same server, even though they weren't originally -- so I literally cannot fully grasp what each person is going through. But I do know 2 people in my guild have toons stranded -- and they don't care at all. They re-rolled new toons, built up all of their stuff on the new server, and literally never touch the other toons. Obviously not everyone feels that way, or has time for that.

If you didn't notice -- I've said numerous times they SHOULD have a legacy transfer, and even started a thread about it. I'm 100% for it, even though I'll never use it. It only makes sense to have it, and it should be priced based on current pricing scheme. Single toon is 1800 -- so it shouldn't be 1800, probably not 2400, and probably not 3200 either. But, maybe base it on how many toons? 5500CC being the cap, up to 22 toons maybe? $40 for up to 22 toons seems damn reasonable to me.

But, I'm 100% happy they DON'T have one yet. Have you seen the problems the poor APAC players are dealing with? BW struggles to release simple things with no bugs. Something like a full legacy transfer? That could get nasty really quickly. They could, however, offer a "bulk" transfer -- something that allows you to pay X and transfer Y toons -- something I hadn't originally thought of doing. Doesn't require a change to the current infrastructure. Should they tell us if they have plans for this? Absolutely! But, until today, I hadn't seen any mention of it by the community, either. My hope in creating that Legacy Transfers? Thread is to bring more interest to the subject, and try to get a response before people start shucking their money into single-toon transfers.

i'm not going to pay them to screw me, and i feel the way they handled transfers, at least in my situation, was screwing me. even if it's $5 of rl money to combine all my toons, on principle i'm not going to throw money at a game that's built around screwing me. granted i am paying a subscription and i payed the $10 for makeb, so i guess they won there.

i don't remember free transfers. i was on 2 pve servers (something like sedyne kyne? first, then thana vesh) then pvp fatman (because fatman had a population). they told me they were going to force a transfer and i would not be able to combine my toons onto a single server. they said that right after they introduced legacy, so i was being denied all of this stuff with legacy that didn't cross servers. i left because i was sick of them screwing me. maybe they announced an option for transferring toons after i quit. for all i know, they gave you an option because i ranted on the forums and backed up my rants by cancelling my sub.

i'm already paying them a subscription fee. i payed for makeb. i've given them enough. at least as far as i'm concerned i would like to see them try to rebuild a bit of the trust they lost with that fiasco. if they moved in a more sincere and honest direction, and tried to make it a good game instead of just a profitable cartel market, i wouldn't mind paying into their market.

Edited by curtkram