Biochem or Cybertech for Commando?

Brad-

My trooper will be my main. I will use him for healing or dps as needed. I am planning to go with a hybrid 23//16/2 build until they implemet dual spec, then will have separate dps and healing specs.

I am debating on whether to take Biochem or Cybertech on my Trooper. I am not that interested in which is best when leveling (since the majority of my play will be at max level). Which do you think will be most helpful for a Commando at max level - Biochem or Cybertech?

From a companion standpoint I know Elara has very good mods to Biochem, and I'm not sure if anyone has mods for Cybertech. That might make some difference if you plan to do a lot of crafting. From what I understand Biochem can save you a ton of money on consumables for endgame stuff as you both make them yourself and can make reuseable forms of them. Cybertech from an endgame standpoint would only provide grenades I believe, and I'm not sure how 'required' the use of those would be (I hope not at all).

From a companion standpoint I know Elara has very good mods to Biochem, and I'm not sure if anyone has mods for Cybertech. That might make some difference if you plan to do a lot of crafting. From what I understand Biochem can save you a ton of money on consumables for endgame stuff as you both make them yourself and can make reuseable forms of them. Cybertech from an endgame standpoint would only provide grenades I believe, and I'm not sure how 'required' the use of those would be (I hope not at all).

1. I don't really know how much biochem will "save" at end game but I do know that while leveling it is a pretty big credit-sink. But I don't know what else I would really spend my credits on. I have enough to keep upgrading my skills and I get my gear in flashpoints so I figure I might as well burn them on crafting.

2. Your 3rd companion (4th if you count the ship droid) has a cybertech bonus.

3. Gameplay wise I think Biochem is really helpful as a combat medic. I have a reusable stim so I basically have a permanent 60 aim & 27 power buff at level 32. Also using a reusable medpack on yourself when you take some damage allows you to keep heals on other players instead of yourself.

I am using Biochem as of now, though I based my choice mostly on the fact that I like the theme of it and I always did use to like professions like Alchemy.

So far it can be quite useful at times. I tend not to really use the items until I reverse-engineer them into re-usable buffs, in which case they can help out quite a bit during flashpoints and the likes. Other than that, can make some nice implants.

I went BioChem, for the ability to make my own healing medpacks and stims plus the eventual reusable purples. I figure Bio has a longer shelf life at level-cap.

There was so much bio collection on Taris I had all three of my current companions (including the ship droid) making pots & stims for my guild for almost an hour last night. I'm the local dealer in my guild.

Edited by Kunari

3. Gameplay wise I think Biochem is really helpful as a combat medic. I have a reusable stim so I basically have a permanent 60 aim & 27 power buff at level 32. Also using a reusable medpack on yourself when you take some damage allows you to keep heals on other players instead of yourself.

This and this again.

With the reusable medpacks and stims, I constantly have an additional buff and can cover a large amount of my health with a medpack, so my heals are saved for others--this helps a lot with energy management. This can't be stressed enough. If you plan to heal, Biochem is fantastic.

Also, lots of people will go Cybertech, Armortech, and Armstech for the appeal of making their own gear, so that means that you'll have plenty of crafters to get the things you want from--not to mention, you'll get plenty of gear from Commendations and such.

This is why I chose biochem. Well that and it sort of fits with my combat medic idea you know? Having stims available and what not.

Unfortunately you rarely get to make use of her Biochem/Analysis bonuses, since she's the only useful combat companion you get the entire game. :(

That depends entirely on your playstyle. I haven't used her at all up to 38. I've only started using her now because Aric is at 10k affection, though I'm tempted to drop her for Vik.

Unfortunately you rarely get to make use of her Biochem/Analysis bonuses, since she's the only useful combat companion you get the entire game. :(

I just got her as a companion last night but the grouchy Catian guy has been fine for me. I did use her on Taris when killing a quest elite boss just to try her out.

It was the evolved Force using Ratgoul boss on Taris.

I never use her, I don't need extra healing as a commando I need more damage :)

As for the topic at hand, I guess I would pick Biochem out of those two options, personally I went with armstech. So far it's been working out, I'm able to keep myself and all my companions setup with top of the line weapons. Also I make weapons in every game it's just what I do.

I went cybertech because I enjoyed artifice in beta. So far I haven't used any of my own crafted mods and only used some of the droid components for M14X.

Can't comment on end game uses, I'm hoping that the best gear requires mods etc and that the best mods are crafted ones.

I went cybertech because I enjoyed artifice in beta. So far I haven't used any of my own crafted mods and only used some of the droid components for M14X.

Can't comment on end game uses, I'm hoping that the best gear requires mods etc and that the best mods are crafted ones.

@ 26 as a Commando with all points spent in Combat Medic, I've crafted all possible components for M1-4X. The custom motors are nice because i can drop blue and purple mods into them, but the blue droid components fair just as well. I've also crafted most of the mods im waring, though i just replaced a few of them with all of the Nar Shadda commendations i never used.

Now that im on Tatooine, im realllly happy i was able to craft all of that stuff for 4X. So far he's got me out of some serious trouble as hes able to Tank quite well.

I might regret not going Biochem when i hit 50 and want to heal through the end game content, but so far i've yet to have an issue in any of the Flashpoints. As long as i've got a good offtank to pick up adds, and the group understand the boss mechanics, i rarely run out of ammo and can get away with saving Rechage Cells until the very last moments of the fight when people are spamming everything they've got.

As Commando you will either not be taking damage because of a tank companion or easily have it healed by Dorne. Cybertech seems to have the best benefits for me, I like M1-4X so I try to use him whenever possible and that means keeping his gear up to date which Cybertech allows.

Also the game has a heavy focus on mods when it comes to gear progression, being able to make 2 of the 5 types of mods is a big help for both yourself and any alts. The little I know of Biochem some of teh best stuff like unlimited use items is Biochem only. I don't know of any limits on Cybertech and it also crafts custom speeders (although the low ones are just reskinned vendor bought ones), droid parts and ship parts. It has opportunities to make some decent credits on the GTN. Although if a hard core raider then Biochem has some good unique advantages.

This is why I chose biochem. Well that and it sort of fits with my combat medic idea you know? Having stims available and what not.

My reasoning exactly. Also, groups love it when you hand out stims before a flashpoint. I feel like I'm the prettiest girl at the ball. :-)