The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Not having to deal with idiots in the most uninteresting instance in the game is actually quite comfortable.

If Im leveling, I have two goals: enjoyment of the process and efficient XP gain. KDY automatically fails the first; it bores the hell out of me. So, if the group looks like its going to be full of derp, you better believe Im getting out of there pronto. You get much better exp questing or soloing heroics than you do in a bad KDY, and you might actually be entertained.

If youre offended that Im unwilling to give random nobodies on the internet the benefit of the doubt in one of this games biggest cesspools.. I dont know what to tell you. That sounds more like self-conscious embarrassment than indignation to me.

If youre offended that Im unwilling to give random nobodies on the internet the benefit of the doubt in one of this games biggest cesspools.. I dont know what to tell you. That sounds more like self-conscious embarrassment than indignation to me.

Honorary Admiral/Imperial Forward Commander = bad player ? :rolleyes:

Let's put it this way: my Arsenal Merc can steal aggro from higher level Carnage Marauder while using Imperial Forward Commander title.

Tbh, Unload -> Tracer -> Unload -> Energy Shield -> Kolto Missile is quite boring opener.

Edited by Halinalle

Honorary Admiral/Imperial Forward Commander = bad player ? :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. But when they screw up continually *AND* display that title then the answer is "yes". (On closer inspection you will probably discover that that is the *only* legacy title they have... :(.)

Let's put it this way: my Arsenal Merc can steal aggro from higher level Carnage Marauder while using Imperial Forward Commander title.

In your case, the answer is "no". You probably aren't a "KDY graduate". You probably know how to play your class. You probably know how to follow the weakest to strongest kill order. You probably got this title to go with the other 20 or 30 legacy titles you have.

Griefer's Toon #1: spacebar plz

Me: don't be that guy

Griefer's Toon #1: ?

Griefer's Toon #1: asking ppl who have seen the same cs over and over to skip it?

Me: you don't know that, so don't be that guy

Griefer's Toon #1: done with you

I am not that guy, but I am the other guy... one worse maybe depending on who you ask. If someone is really really insistent that we skip with no concern for what the rest of the group wants, I'll go make a sandwich during cutscenes, or at the very least wait until the last second to make my choices. Just to draw it out even longer because they can't ask politely. Yeah, I'm a jerk. But, I hate players that INSIST people spacebar like their time is more valuable than my right to enjoy the game.

Oh don't worry, I am not offended at all. It's just when I see this amusing mix of ADD and anal (inability to wait through 20 seconds of a cut scene, applying corporatese lexicon like "efficient XP gain" to a video game), I think, "oh, it's just one of those weird people you meet in Group Finder". :D

Funny story and goes along with the previous conversation about titles and bads

Kaon under siege, im tanking with 55 jugg alongside a 52 sorc heal, 53 sin and 52 jugg dps.

both dps follow new kill order, strong to weak, with sin overloading on cd, and healer running in to overload straight after (they see the sin overload so they run forward and do it themselves, which is new to me).

As a jugg this makes my job tanking EXTREMELY difficult with 2 inquisitors spamming overload and 2 dps who only attack elites or strongs. luckily with Kaon the weak, standard and elite are mostly melee so I just stand near the healer then use aoe's to hold aggro and let dps deal with strongs themselves, maybe throwing taunts where applicable.

As such the fights often degenerate into me holding aggro on all the weak, standard, elites, dps killing strongs, then helping to finish off the elites and healer healing dps (as I don't need healing, im only dealing with weak,standard and sometimes 1 or 2 elites of 5 lvls lower than me). To my great surprise this is generally successful (apart from the room after that big red boss, whatever its called, the sheer number of infected mercenaries and the inability of anyone in the group to recognise they should interrupt the pull-cord stun is annoying).

I did mention that titles were involved in this wierd story. The healer was constantly asking for guard, so I give a very brief "at high level guard goes on dps". They then point out to me (this is all in group chat so dps can both see it):

Healer: "look at my title"

*I take a look* - Master of Dread

Me: "What of it?"

Healer: "Its from the timed NiM DP achievement" (Now im pretty sure this isn't true as I have this title, cant remember where I got it, but I have never run any NiM)

*I put Master of Dread title on myself*

dps sin: "2 NiM ops runners? this should be easy"

Me: "I have never done NiM op, this is from oricon reputation" (Tbh it might not be, like I said I cant remember how I got it, but it was while running oricon dailies and its definitely NOT from NiM)

Not another word from the healer throughout the entire mission... but why do people feel the need to start bsing to make themselves look like they know what they are doing. The times I have run HM fps it seems I am the only person on the server willing to admit to being new to the mission.

Everyone else seems to act pro, when it goes wrong some admit they don't know the fights, whereas most flame on everyone else. Im starting to get tired of new players who wont take advice (and before I get flamed, I have absolutely NO issue with new players who say they are new and ask for/accept help).

Edited by BobFredJohn

Either people on these forums cannot read or when they do, they only see what they want to.

I actually went a couple of pages back and reread a few of your posts. So, is my interpretation of "[...] I can see the "Waiting for group member" thing for too long, Ill abort the conversation and ditch the group", which is your quote, as "I am too impatient to sit through any bloody cut scenes" wrong? If so, feel free to educate me on what you did mean by that.

The side effect of me rereading is that now I hear all your posts as if narrated by Go-T0. Which is absolutely beautiful. :D

Wrong. I've leveled my gunslinger mainly through KDY.

Hmmm... you have a level 50 legacy and you levelled 1, ONE, toon through KDY and so you consider yourself a KDY graduate...

Not sure if trolling or just being deliberately obtuse...

Hmmm... you have a level 50 legacy and you levelled 1, ONE, toon through KDY and so you consider yourself a KDY graduate...

It's not my definition. Definition is from pros here.

Me: "I have never done NiM op, this is from oricon reputation" (Tbh it might not be, like I said I cant remember how I got it, but it was while running oricon dailies and its definitely NOT from NiM)

You get it after completing all boss achievements on Oricon.

http://dulfy.net/2013/02/07/swtor-titles-guide/

Edited by Halinalle

I think I encountered the player the most addicted to Mortar Volley over the weekend.

Battle of Ilum, SM, everyone's around level 50, so we all want xp. There's a quick discussion on how much we want to do, decision is to complete all bosses and the bonus, but not worry too much about the rest. Off we go, nuking the odd group, but with my shadow tank and a scoundrel healer, we try to sneak past the odd group.

We had started the run as pessimists, the commando dps announced he was playing with a broken wrist, I confessed that this would be my first timing tanking on a shadow for a year (started a new one a few weeks back...), and the healer claimed it wouldn't be worth his time healing. No one takes it seriously and off we go, skipping the first few groups until near the guns for the bonus. At least that's the plan.

The commando ignores the short cut by the exhaustion zone and left behind, Mortar Volleys the group by the first stairs. The rest of us rush back, pulling the second stair lot in the process, but he's already dead, we clear up and res him. We clear the groups to get to the guns, and go to stealth past another group. Again, on his own, behind the group, he Mortar Volleys the pack, cc'd included. And this sets the pattern.

He seemed to have this incredible need to use his aoe on anything we cc'd. At one point, the scoundrel cc'd a single mob so we could all head up one of the snowy paths unimpeded, and I glance back. There he is, Mortar Volleying the single, sleeping mob. By now I was fascinated, I didn't want to ask why, I just kept testing it. Anything I cc'd would get that volley on it's head, the last time I tried was the marauder in the pack around the last but one boss. The moment I cc'd, before I have even targeted the boss, the green circles are up, and the volley is scattering the pack. It was as if he took a cc as a command to attack that moment, and specifically that target, but with the biggest shot in his arsenal.

His responses to the odd question made me think his english wasn't that great, his guild name looked eastern european in language, so I didn't ask why, just finished the run in a sense of bafflement. No wipes, no meaningful problems, the only death was the commando's at the very start. Just weird.

Wrong. I've leveled my gunslinger mainly through KDY.

Look, I'm not trying to start anything here, but, since this isn't the first time you have proceeded to 'pick this fight,' I feel compelled to ask.

You KNOW the comment isn't directed at you, so, why do you seem to be hellbent on taking personal offence to it?

On the subject of KDY, I am always dismayed at how many people do ONLY KDY.

I have got bored of KDY (actually got bored of it a long time ago) and pretty much stopped doing it once I hit legend standing, as I now have no use for it.

As such when leveling I now just stick myself on gf for all available FP's constantly, causing my vanguard to hit lvl 46 while still doing class missions on nar shadaa, my scoundrel hitting 31 before leaving coruscant. however my dps are often left waiting for a group pop for 10 or 15 minutes even at low level, often reaching into the 60 minute mark at endgame. Sometimes I get bored of waiting for real fp and add myself onto KDY aswell - Instant pop every time.

A real mission with proper fights against enemies of a suitable standard seems to be disliked by the majority of the community, yet running round the same few scenarios killing things too weak to fight back is fun? I have now pretty much stopped playing as dps classes, im fed up of TFP's (even the lvl 55 ones are unerringly tedious).

I just wish they would lower the exp output of TFP's to be lower than real FP. An easier mission should give less exp/hour. This way people may actually start doing proper missions and, as a side effect learn their class before hitting lvl 55.

Edited by BobFredJohn

I just wish they would lower the exp output of TFP's to be lower than real FP ... This way people may actually start doing proper missions and, as a side effect learn their class before hitting lvl 55.

While I would appreciate that outcome as well, I fear that would undercut one purpose of KDY (and the other TFP) which is to give DPS a FP that doesn't leave them in a long queue.

While I would appreciate that outcome as well, I fear that would undercut one purpose of KDY (and the other TFP) which is to give DPS a FP that doesn't leave them in a long queue.

Fair point. I have just noticed how my post about how aweful TFP is can instead be a story about there not being many healers/tanks.

Although IMO I think you cut the most important sentence of the bit you quoted. Ofc DPS need a place to go to level, but should the exp/hour be better than everywhere else?

And ofc im biased as I find the easy content (made easy for the reason you stated, so DPS actually have a chance) tedious. I reckon TFP could be made tougher (with exp to match the difficulty) without making it impossible for DPS groups.

Edited by BobFredJohn

"KDY Graduate" is a state of mind. It jokingly refers to brand new players who have a skewed concept of how to play because they've only ever leveled through KDY.

If you know how to play, and decide to level up a new alt through KDY, it does NOT mean you are a KDY Grad. Even if you wear the title.

Why I like KDY, besides the fact that it's the most efficient, optimal, synergistic way to maximize my XP gain:

1. I like doing group content, but I play at odd times and am not super sociable, so I don't have guildies to accompany. At least half of my alts aren't even IN a guild.

2. Quick queue pops - I only have 1 alt that I run through GF that isn't a DPS.

3. (Related to the above) I often don't have a lot of time to play, and I have found that a KDY run will take anywhere from 30 minutes (if everyone is going all out on speed, and knows what they are doing) to a half hour (if we need to stop to heal a lot or someone goes AFK.) So I can start playing, knowing how many KDYs I am going to be able to do.

4. The mechanics are simple enough that they are fairly hard to mess up TOO badly. I mean, sometimes people make everyone miss the bonus because they are idiots who don't listen, but regular FPs can turn into a never-ending nightmare of wiping if people do that. KDY only does that on the droid boss, really.

5. The different scenarios/bosses turn something I have done like 200 times into something that's a little different each time.

6. I still have the chance to try out different techniques for playing my class - and the penalty for suboptimal play is not death, just slightly longer pulls.

That's why I spend so much time Kuating. And why I am unapologetic about it.

Is this really worth debating?

In the grand scheme of things, being a KDY 'pro' really doesn't mean anything at all.

Chances are that you still suck.

There's no debate here.

Either people on these forums cannot read or when they do, they only see what they want to.
is the problem.

So, not a GF story, but about a guild I see spamming Allies. Ran with them once before, had a horrible experience, left after weekly, and would never run with them again. When I see them spamming in Allies, they're usually doing it for hours for the same op. One time they put a 34k health minimum for DP SM, which got joked about in Allies. But they spammed through it all, hah.

Here's what they were spamming last night:

"LFM 8man NiM TFB, No experience, mumble optional"

Slowly ppl in Allies started commenting. It was the first NiM pug I've ever seen attempted besides classic ops, and I kept thinking they were trolling, but based on what I've seen from them, I don't think they were. Someone made a comment about maybe a HM would be better at first, so it changed to

"LFM 8man HM/NiM TFB, mumble preferred"

Finally, after about an hour, and many more comments, it turned to:

"LFM 8man HM TFB, mumble required"

I don't think they had any clue what they were doing.

There's no debate here. is the problem.

So, not a GF story, but about a guild I see spamming Allies. Ran with them once before, had a horrible experience, left after weekly, and would never run with them again. When I see them spamming in Allies, they're usually doing it for hours for the same op. One time they put a 34k health minimum for DP SM, which got joked about in Allies. But they spammed through it all, hah.

Here's what they were spamming last night:

"LFM 8man NiM TFB, No experience, mumble optional"

Slowly ppl in Allies started commenting. It was the first NiM pug I've ever seen attempted besides classic ops, and I kept thinking they were trolling, but based on what I've seen from them, I don't think they were. Someone made a comment about maybe a HM would be better at first, so it changed to

"LFM 8man HM/NiM TFB, mumble preferred"

Finally, after about an hour, and many more comments, it turned to:

"LFM 8man HM TFB, mumble required"

I don't think they had any clue what they were doing.

Chances are that [they] still suck.

Well, good thing I covered my bases then :ph_lol:

PS: What server? Cause that is definitely some Harbinger-level stupidity right there.

Edited by idnewton

@Bigbreakfast;

Reminds me of a guild on my server. They will sit and spam fleet and a handful of other channels for a while looking for ppl for a run if some sort. Generally it's a HM or a SM of DF/DP. It takes them quite a while to fill, even using the channels to help. I have not run with them personally but a few guildmates have, and the general thought amongst them is the guild sucks and avoid them. The tank for my team said he went into a HM DF and had the raid leader give up after two wipes on Zero trying to explain the fight. So he took over having cleared it on HM before. But even with an explaination he said it was mind blowing. Said he had a sniper that would roll away from Zero when he was down, assuring that Mine would have to be dealt with.

I commended the poor fool of a guildie on trying. But told him he should have left after the raid leader stopped seeming to care, and just did a RC after everyone got back to the room to start up another pull. Other people have similar stories with them, or even worse ones I am sure. As for myself? I may regret this but I do not want to pass judgement till I see this first hand. After all, my guildies could have made this up due to really hating one person in the group. They know enough about me to know what would drive me away from a group, and the no talking between pulls is right up there. I hate it, I like to know why we wiped and if there is a way to prevent it ether by a Tank popping a CD earlier, a Dps using a different ability, or by a healer being ready for it to occur again.