The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

This isn't really a moment of whaaaaat??? with someone else, it's actually pretty cool.

So I took a break from endgame gearing on my 55 scoundrel to start gearing my 50 marauder on the imp side. Been a few months since I played him and did anything besides craft. Go through some pvp, get back in the swing of things and q for GF daily. I get the Foundry HM. Sweet, I haven't done this since the SM version, should be fun.

So I arrive, glance over my comrades classes and realize "wow. i just might have the perfect group." One of each class, and from the second trash fight we are running like a well oiled machine. We start flying down the corridors, leapfrogging each other into the next fight along the way, our healer just walking along behind us throwing out HoT's and picking up credits :) We get to the HK fight and the first sentence off the mission is someone asking if HK 51 is any good. So we spend the rest of the mission hacking away and debating his benefits and drawbacks (by the way, if you have him, solo missions that HK 47 is in for a good chuckle about their dialogue). Finally we arrive at Revan and burst in. We beat him down to about half health and the fight glitches. Suddenly he vanishes and reappears at full health like the fight hadn't started, and we don't have a chance to heal up before he attacks us for being all up in his face. After dragging him back down to half health he uses a knockback and throws me clear across the room, where I land on a pillar. On top of the railing, on the vertical pillar. I felt like a ninja haha. As soon as I landed I force leaped back, almost like a single motion. It was one of the most epic things ever happen to that character :)

Anyway, we finished him off, grabbed our loot, said goodbye, and disbanded. With hardly a word between any of us for the majority of the mission. Just goes to show that sometimes you find a diamond in the rough, or even three.

You should have kicked him the first time he wiped the group. You can't cure stupid.

From my funny sig quote file from something else on the forums....

Jumajin Today , 02:12 PM | #104 Quote

Quote: Originally Posted by Fleurdelis

Mama always said you can't fix stupid. Here is a tissue.

Not true. You can fix stupid. The law tends to reward it with 25-to-life, however . . . .

:D

Double XP weekend and the KDY pod people it's produced have caused me to hate group finder. I'm gonna spend the next two weeks keeping my head down, leveling a smuggler, planetary quests only. I heard the story is funny. Edited by sanctified

So i was levelling a dps shadow and got to hammer station, this level 16 vanguard comes out with his companion jumping up and down in front of me so i figured ok try invite, after he accepts i see he has got a level 43 shadow in dps stance at this point i just think to myself oh this will be some easy gear, boy was i wrong.

I get into the actually FP and they are upto first boss i say hi - get no reply, i let the 43 get the first set of hits in, then me and the vanguard join in, all of a sudden i have ripped aggro from the 43 (*** how is that possible) i get mauled after a few mins, they finish the boss and just stand there waiting for me, i ask for rez and they run off, area start chase after them, catch up and the vanguard has died and done area start at this point i check there achievements, the vanguard was on his first char as he had got a bit for ord, and esseless i notice nothing in corusant.....then the 43, nothing in planets, SF or pvp, i notice KDY is at 45% complete, red alarms start going off, no chatting, no rezzing, not even reading what im typing, pretty much no cheivies.

At this point i just want to get it over with, the trio boss comes up i switch to tank stance to last fight i rip.aggro anyway and i could use the boost in armor, down them and get to bridge i type run when it turns back to blue, they both run on red, i sit there laughing at them.

Final boss i tell the 43 to turn him to the console doesnt listen so i just pick off the adds and watch the show, loot drops i get a new dbl saber, exit area , ignore both and group quit

Worst experience with group finder ever

Me on my sage healer, queue for lvl 50 HM. Grouped with a lvl 51 Shadow tank, lvl 50 Shadow dps and a lvl 51 Slinger. Kaon Under Siege. Check their health and no one is near 20k health which suggests they're still running around in lvl 45-49 gear. Quick achievements check and - yes, they're all rather new which explain the lack of BH gear which older players buy for their lvl 50 alts. This is all good since I'm in full DF and the tank seems to know his stuff. The dude is actually guarding the Scoundrel, dropping Phase Walk here and there, starting fights from stealth and using the right rotation. It warms my heart to see a potentially good shadow tank in the making. <3

Making our way through the mission it becomes obvious the tank is a bit inexperienced in this FP as he sometimes turns a wrong corner and the two deeps follow him around like lost sheep. I ask them to follow me and type recommendations for each new fight as we get to a group of mobs. They're still exploding the fat infected guys right into their faces but nothing I can't manage.

Turret phase went badly, but a messy kill beats a clean wipe any day so I shrug it off, give some pointers for the next time they're here and move on. We get to that room full of Infected dudes and, before I can even type "Force Pull and tank them at the door", tank charges in, deeps follow. This is where we wipe because the Screamers throw people into other mobs which throw them into another mob, no one interrupts the second infected that's strangling me and, basically, fecal matter is hitting rotating blades in a festival of knockbacks, massive aggro and stunslocks.

Second go is better and we make it through. Killed bonus boss with some difficulties and proceed to the spaceport. Now, this is where it starts to get tricky. There are hordes of Rakghouls in the middle of the street and, seeing as we have two shadows, I mark two targets to be CC'd. Tank does his job, the Shadow deeps rushes his mark. Okay, fine. Kill the group and try CC on the next pack. Same story.

This is where I'm a bit annoyed and let off a slight jab at the Shadow dps. He responds with "bite me, I'm new". And you know what? I do bite. Not him but rather my tongue. /proudOfMyself

Spaceport entrance and I again mark two targets for CC. Tank follows through like a pro, the dps again rushes his mark. Get to end bosses and I immediately fall in love with the tank because he places a target marker on the big Rakghould that pins people down. <3 He drops PW at which point I ask him to cancel it and drop it in the middle of the bosses because that's where we'll be standing. I tell the Slinger to hide behid the chest because standing on stairs is bad since waves of mobs will be coming from there. They all "okay" it and we go in.

Sorted the bosses with ease and I shw the slinger where to park next time. He hasn't really been hiding behind the loot chest where I suggested but rather behind a concrete block at the end of the stairs. A bit of jumping on the loot chest and the slingy thanks for the tips and that he'll do it next time.

Now the unexpected happens. The Shadow dps actually apologises for his rude reply. If that's not weird, I don't know what is. :eek:

I was about to /ignore him for good but this stopped me in my tracks. Told him to ask his guildies to show him the ropes, especially the CC'ing part and encouraged them all to inform their team that they're new. We all agreed there's no shame in being new and that most people will be glad to help and teach players. I like to think I've made them a bit less scared of being new and that they're going to take more interest in bettering their play. It's nice to be nice. :D

How can you guys pick out individual stories.

My weird stories are so much and they blend in over a long time in my mind,can't pick out a particular one.

During this 2x week,

there were :

-healers that were not healres

-tanks that are not tanks

-dps that tried to be tanks

-people that confuse normal fps with Kuat,so naturally they don't care what role they picked,or how and how many mobs they pull

-etc

Had a perticular struck of bad luck 3th day of the 2x week, in which 5 healers in a row, were in fact dps.I was pissed of out of my mind.I still wonder how we managed to wait for the 6th good healer to come after 2 hours, inside the FP(Cademimu).

After explaining the purposes of a healer and the purpose of chosing your role before queuing,2 of them just said shut up and fight.and continued pulling and not healing.The others were just silent.

/bang head against a wall

Luckily in all 50-55 content my server tends to be alright in terms of the sanity and knowing how to play.

I walk around in PvP circles mostly meaning acquaintances+contacts + Guild are all mostly PvPers, so my PvE is always through group finder.Over time you get numbed+get a tick skin and get used to all the werid foolishess happening and you are kinda ''meh''.So yea...

Edited by Kaedusz

down them and get to bridge i type run when it turns back to blue, they both run on red, i sit there laughing at them.

There's a reason why that's one of the hardest bosses in the game. :D

Looks like I'm not the only one who has noticed this: players who don't know how to play their character's class.

This isn't group finder thing but I think this is weird enough

Yesterday I was questing on Hoth and went to dreadnought to finish bonus quest and literally got invite spammed by Assassin. Assassin was doing the same quest and I decided to wait my turn but it turns out that this assassin didn't know how to be assassin: companion dies in seconds, his health dropped very fast and elite was still around 90% HP. Something happens and I start throwing heals and finish the elite with my dual-dps team. Does anyone know why some players are just bad? I really have to stop helping them somehow.

Edited by Halinalle

Oh geez, group-finder lately.

I've been levelling a Commando while also working on gearing my 55 Guardian, and both have yielded... meh results.

Guardian-- HM CZ

We're at the droid that shocks the water. (The name leaves me right now.) In our group is a level 55 DPS Vanguard with roughly 17K HP. Now, I don't judge just off of HP, but being 55 with 17K HP is not going to get you through most HM FP's, Tactical or not.

Anyway, this is probably the worst boss fight you can do with a very undergeared DPS. Because the boss can pull him in, he can drop pretty quickly.

Warily, we start the fight. Pull one: No one picks up the adds, I'm forced to use my mass-taunt so that they'll target me. The other DPS, a Shadow, finally moves to take out the adds, but it's not soon enough. We wind up wiping.

Second pull, pretty much the same.

Third pull, we manage to take out the adds. Yet, somehow, we can't kill the boss quick enough, and it winds up enraging. I've been running this FP for ages, and tanking it for about as long. I've never had it enrage before this point, but it did.

I decide my repair bill can't handle it, and I drop group.

On my Commando:

It's a SM Taral pop, and I go in healing. I hadn't played the toon in weeks, so I figured it'd be a little odd. I zone in, and notice the Guardian tank is in Shii-Cho. I leave a quick message, "Do you mind using Soresu form?"

No response.

The "DPS" Shadow-- who is in DPS stance-- leads all the pulls, and takes all the aggro. She's basically tanking. Meanwhile, the Guardian's barely even hitting the mobs-- I never saw her use more than a few basic attacks.

We get about halfway to the first boss, and I leave another message. "You realize you're in Shii-Cho form, right? You should probably be using Soresu, the tank stance. It'll help."

She responds, "lol i know im not in soresu"

Now, I don't know what that means, besides she purposefully didn't want to play her role. So I dropped group.

Does anyone know why some players are just bad?

If there is an answer to this, and I am not entirely sure there is, the one who figures it out will probably be revered in gamer circles for decades to come. Scraps of his or her clothing will be sold as talismans to ward people from bad PUGs.

yesterday on Taral V after the down of Lord Hasper (optionnal boss).

Loot: heavy chest armor.

Guardian tank: you know it's heavy (armor)

Senti: know

Senti: I'm a f2p I sell it on the GTN

(...)

next boss, PD-44

loot: heavy armor

senti: need (...)

30 minutes later, Taral V pops again, first boss down, second dps (sorcerer) needs on hands (cuning, hopefully my scoundrel already has the hands) ...

Is Ninja looting a sport on US servers ? (coming from Europa where we don't have so much ninjas).

Hit a KDY last night for a bit of XP; sister's trying to cross that last level, so I grab my sniper and off we go. We get a 'Sin tank and a Merc DPS. Well, as luck would have it, even after double XP is over, neither is the best. The Merc's melting stuff, but in pulls when he takes a handful of hits, he flies behind some stuff, dumps aggro, and rapidscan spams himself. This, of course, makes my sister mad, as she's running a sorc healer and had just been about to pop a heavy one on him when he LoSed her. The Sin's queued as tank, but switches between DPS and tanking stances freely (I think he was DPS specced, as I didn't spot the Dark Ward popping up anytime). When the 'Sin starts spamming overload in the prisoner scenario, my sister's had enough. She flies at the gold droid at the top of one of the pulls, and bounces him off, pulling the entire room. We've pulled this stunt before, usually when we're grouped with bads who scatter mobs out of our respective AOEs.

Goldie there pulls the entire room, and she just bubbles everyone and I start sniping. The Merc goes down, ostensibly because of his 'hide and spamheal himself'' habit. We lost the Sin once, but that's mostly because he was badly positioned behind a knockback droid and went flying off the edge without enough health to survive the hit.

I know it makes us a bit of jerks, but when you're running KDY and can trust at least one of your teammates, it's a good way to not only liven up the run, but hopefully let bads know that a) chainpulling is bad, and b) knockbacks out of AOEs are bad.

Because that Sin spammed overload whenever it was off cooldown.

SnV SM 16

Had a troublesome player, whom I hoped I’d never see again. Saw them in a TFB before as a tank, where he played a big role in ruining the Kephess fight, then blamed and insulted everyone else. Most of the raid was yelling at him. This raid was exactly the same, except he was a DPS.

- Pulled before tank

- Chain pulled mobs while people were dead, preventing rez

- Complained about waiting for boss explanations

- Complained about the raid taking too long (1 shot all except a wipe in Oasis City)

After he got into voice, he constantly made subtle, condescending remarks about the guild and the raid:

- said, “are you sure you want me in voice? I might be saying things that you don’t want to hear” (nothing was wrong with the run, it was a standard and decent SM run)

- at one point said, "i'm running the raid"

- when OT died to Sunder, said, “OT, watch what I do, maybe you can learn something” (nothing wrong with watching/learning, but an insulting way to say it)

At the end, offered his “criticism” to the guild and their raid:

- “raid would go better without people horsing around” (nobody was horsing around)

- “raid would go better with more communication” (all boss fights were explained. Ready checks were done. Everything was fine)

- talked about his WoW experience for a good minute (literally 60 seconds), then said, "not trying to toot my own horn" :rolleyes:

- talked about how he wasn't scared of being blunt and saying the hard truth :rolleyes: (Anyone, especially on the internet, can say the hard truth. This doesn't make him brave or whatever it is he thinks he's being. The important thing is to know WHEN to open your mouth and when to keep it shut)

The frustrating thing was: the raid leader LET him do all those things. Before he got into voice we were all complaining about him, and had we warned him to not pull ahead or we kick. Almost the entire raid was complaining about him and arguing with him. And he constantly insulted everyone and made everything difficult. Yet the raid leader did nothing. He said nothing to defend the guild, the raid, or anything. No offense to him of course, he seemed like a good person. But, darnit, WHY DID HE LET HIM STAY.

I’ll admit, I didn't say anything either. Didn't say anything in chat because he was on ignore since that TFB (and, honestly, everyone else was saying everything already). Didn't say anything in voice because.. well because I really didn't want to spend my night arguing with someone like that. No amount of logic or reasoning would ever convince him that he’s wrong. And maybe he knows he's wrong, but just doesn't care.

Bad people exist everywhere. The rest of us should do our best to squelch this behavior or remove it from the picture (ie the raid group). If we don't, it's just.. disappointing.

Edited by BigBreakfast

Anyone who brags about how blunt they are, or prides themselves on "telling it like it is," is a buffoon.

QFT.

Your raid leader should have done the right thing, and pulled the trigger, Big Breakfast. Hell, a Raid Lieutenant should have made a unilateral decision for him, if your RL was being too much of a cuddle bear. My guild would never put up with that crap, especially from some pug jerk. We were running a TC where a puggy jumped the golden goat because he didn't want to wait for our new guildy offtank to arrive. Our Guild leader instructed the healers to let him die. No, he didn't get a rez at the end of the fight.

#examplesmade

Edited by sanctified

On a funnier note, my favorite part of SnV:

@ Olok

"Whoever gets the token, click the BLUE icon"

someone clicks a gold

"Ok, next person click the RED icon"

someone clicks a gold

*gaaaasp* they're the GOLD SPAMMERZ!! :eek:

I got matched up with a tank for 8m s&v sm. Everyone had been invited except for tank whom we pugged. We one shot the first 3 bosses. Half way through the trash to oasis city, the pugged tank admidts to not having run an op before. We were like "no worries we haven't had an issue so far." We get to the door to oasis city and the pugged tank opens the door before I can explain strategy. In the chaos I try to assign people to locations but there is too much confusion and we die when pugged tank helped another group. We come back and I say "please don't open door tank, you wiped us that time so just give us a chance to explain this fight." He says okay but as soon as hegets to the door he opens it and disconnects himself. He deliberately opened the door to start the instance and DCD himself. We survived and actually cleared the boss but we couldn't progress any further.

I got matched up with a tank for 8m s&v sm. Everyone had been invited except for tank whom we pugged. We one shot the first 3 bosses. Half way through the trash to oasis city, the pugged tank admidts to not having run an op before. We were like "no worries we haven't had an issue so far." We get to the door to oasis city and the pugged tank opens the door before I can explain strategy. In the chaos I try to assign people to locations but there is too much confusion and we die when pugged tank helped another group. We come back and I say "please don't open door tank, you wiped us that time so just give us a chance to explain this fight." He says okay but as soon as hegets to the door he opens it and disconnects himself. He deliberately opened the door to start the instance and DCD himself. We survived and actually cleared the boss but we couldn't progress any further.

If that happens again, keep in mind that you can just press the reset button on the opposite wall to prevent a wipe from lack of preparation.

We're at the droid that shocks the water. (The name leaves me right now.) In our group is a level 55 DPS Vanguard with roughly 17K HP. Now, I don't judge just off of HP, but being 55 with 17K HP is not going to get you through most HM FP's, Tactical or not.

When I see that kind of health in HM Czerka flashpoints, I don't even start moving but go directly to explaining why they shouldn't be in this FP wearing that kind of gear. Most of the people have no clue where to go after Makeb and they just fire up the GF to get gear. They respond well to explanations and some have even contacted me a few days later with some additional questions, thanks or they needed help on Oricon. All this even after I've vote kicked them for being undergeared. Calm and rational explanations go a long way with most of the people.

Doouchebags are a minority but they end up ignored on six characters so no problems there either.

Next time you see an undergeared 55, tell them how to get gear and even off to help them run Oricon for that basic set you get on the first go. Then kick them and finish the FP without hitting enrage.

Next time you see an undergeared 55, tell them how to get gear and even off to help them run Oricon for that basic set you get on the first go. Then kick them and finish the FP without hitting enrage.

You don't get Black Market gear from Oricon. You get level 53 gear (for level 55s: "undergeared"). Not to even mention enhancements are really bad in tanking gear.

Edited by Halinalle

You don't get Black Market gear from Oricon. You get level 53 gear (for level 55s: "undergeared"). Not to even mention enhancements are really bad in tanking gear.

I don't think he meant 'basic set' as in bought with basic comms but rather 'basic set' as in a starter set.

... run Oricon for that basic set you get on the first go.
Edited by thewitchdoctor

Its also overgeared for the HM FPs, as shown by opening up the mission log, looking at the weekly, and seeing where it says "Recommended gear rating: 148". The Oricon missions give you rating 156 stuff

Though a DPS with 17k hp isn't even using the makeb vendor. That gets you ~22k hp.

As for the guy above me, before Oricon was released, 156s was considered basic comm gear, and was what you were supposed to bring into the HM FPs, which drop Black Market gear (Arkanian earpiece/implant token at the end of meltdown), and you were supposed to use HM FPs to gear up in Black Market gear (162s, or 69s back in the day). They didn't update the basic comm vendor to arkanian till after oricon was released.

Edited by TACeMossie

Its also overgeared for the HM FPs, as shown by opening up the mission log, looking at the weekly, and seeing where it says "Recommended gear rating: 148". The Oricon missions give you rating 156 stuff

Though a DPS with 17k hp isn't even using the makeb vendor. That gets you ~22k hp.

As for the guy above me, before Oricon was released, 156s was considered basic comm gear, and was what you were supposed to bring into the HM FPs, which drop Black Market gear (Arkanian earpiece/implant token at the end of meltdown), and you were supposed to use HM FPs to gear up in Black Market gear (162s, or 69s back in the day). They didn't update the basic comm vendor to arkanian till after oricon was released.

It's 148 for lvl50HMFP, Czerka Labs is lvl55HMFP which has higher recommendations.

(plz correct me if I'm wrong, not logged to game right now)