Rate the best class stories

AGSThomas

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but to stop an Imperial Naval Captain just because he has a bad reputation, nah, not motivation enough.

That's why I rate Smuggler last also. I absolutely loved Act 1. I enjoy his persona and his companions too, but Act 2 and 3 just fall completely flat and I was never motivated to play him or finish the story other than to finally get it done.

I've only played Consular through Quesh so I'll leave that off the list and reserve judgement. But I will say I've enjoyed his story so far. I like the diplomatic nature of the story line and learning more about the "inner workings" of the galaxy. But I have finished all of the others. So...

1. Imperial Agent. At first I didn't like it because it wasn't Star Wars enough. It was just a generic spy story set in space, not necessarily Star Wars space. But when you get to the end of Act 1 and on to Act 2, it starts to become James Bond in Star Wars and takes on it's own persona. It builds and builds and builds. Great fun.

2. BH. This was just plain fun from Hutta all the way to the finale. Had good pacing, great companions characters (except one that didn't really fit in, just seemed to be thrown in "just cuz"), funny one-liners and lots of personal motivation until the end.

3. Jedi Knight. This is your classic "what if you were Obi-Wan/Luke/Qui-Gon?" type story. Companion stories are lacking in comparison to other classes though. But I was always wanting to know what would happen next. Although the Act 3 premise conflicted with the planet stories, especially Voss. I was like "Say what?". The finale was thrilling.

4. Warrior. Unique ending to Act 1. Lots of "******ery" going on all throughout. Gets s bit repetitive "Some elaboration is required." But you could say that about all the stories I suppose. I got tired of being the hired thug after a while and wanted to become my own man, or Sith as it were. Luckily, that does happen. Very Sopranos-esque.

5. Trooper. My least favorite starter planet was Ord Mantell and I think it tarnishes my opinion of Trooper and Smuggler stories. Then you go to Coruscant. Maybe I was too excited to see this planet in a game, but dear god it's boring. Then, as a pub, you go to Taris. Holy crap, two snoozefest planets in a row. So Republic classes in general leave a bad taste in my mouth due to how slowly they all start off. But Trooper story makes up for it. Motivation for Act 1 was suspect. I personally didn't care about these people, but going about finding them was fun. The endings of each Act were very memorable.

6. Inquisitor. It was fun but the story was kind of out there. I enjoyed the voice acting, the play style (Assassin), the companions and for the most part the direction of the story. But there were a lot of times I could predict where these things were headed and I would say to my screen "Why are you so *********** stupid? Don't you know this is a set up? You dumb***.".

7. Smuggler. Already documented at the beginning of my post.

I haven't completed all of the class stories yet, but I tried them all at least until the end of chapter 1. So here is my opinion about them:

1, Well which one is the best? Hard to say. I would go for Sith Warrior, because I had so much fun playing it. I like role playing, and here I wanted a Dart Sidious type Sith, who is dark on the inside, but light on the outside. And executing idiots at the end of a long conversation, while they can't deal with the situation that you are actually good or just pretend to be one is just very satisfying, and the look on their face! Oh.

2, Tough one. But all honestly Jedi Consular. Why? Because it's very Jedi-ish. Exactly as I imagined. I can feel like Obi-Wan Kenobi the Jedi Master. It's amazing. And this is what I missed from the Jedi Knight's storyline.

3, Imperial Agent of course. :) Feeling like Jack Bauer, James Bond, or Jason Bourne respectively or all at the same time is epic!

4, Jedi Knight, Kind of an Anakin type Jedi. It's alright. Nothing special here. Sadly the ending was a bit disappointing for me. No spoilers though! :)

5, Bounty hunter The first chapter was awesome, "the reward" was epic, then the next two chapters were boring. :( Nice ending though.

And those above are the ones I actually played from beginning to end.

6, Smuggler, the Smart a**. Incredibly fun to play, but disappointing story and rewards at least at the end of chapter 1.

7, Inquisitor Way too predictable. Seriously, I could see where this story is going from a mile away.

8, Trooper I couldn't get into it. I tried 2-or 3 times but never caught me. At this point I just don't care. Maybe one day I give it another try.

Done em all and for me its:

1. Hands down Imperial Agent was my favorite.

2. Smuggler/Bounty Hunter <I'm a smuggler and bounty hunter fan for life>

3. Warrior

4. The rest were kinda bleh, but each had a chapter or two that I liked

as much as i would like to vote on this i won't. thinking about the fact that some useless corporate suit decided to turn class stories into world stories because of the money the avengers made pisses me off.

who ever made that decision doesn't know why the avengers works so well as a franchise. that would be because of the connection people have to the individual characters and how they mesh as a team. the problem here is for some unknown reason some ******* suit thought that means he/she could get rid of the individual story part of the equation and have it work.

i am sorry but marvel didn't cancel the individual series of each character once they joined the avengers for a reason. you have to continue to build or nurture that emotional attachment or people will stop caring and give up on you.

sorry for the off-topic rant but just thinking about losing the individual class stories REALLY pisses me off.

as much as i would like to vote on this i won't. thinking about the fact that some useless corporate suit decided to turn class stories into world stories because of the money the avengers made pisses me off.

who ever made that decision doesn't know why the avengers works so well as a franchise. that would be because of the connection people have to the individual characters and how they mesh as a team. the problem here is for some unknown reason some ******* suit thought that means he/she could get rid of the individual story part of the equation and have it work.

i am sorry but marvel didn't cancel the individual series of each character once they joined the avengers for a reason. you have to continue to build or nurture that emotional attachment or people will stop caring and give up on you.

sorry for the off-topic rant but just thinking about losing the individual class stories REALLY pisses me off.

Yeeeaah, I don't think it was because of Avengers. It was because the individual stories were not fit for Makeb (individual class story act should span at least two planets).

You spent three acts building your character, becoming a galactic legend, ascending to power, etc (if we are to use the Avengers approximation, A1-A3 were like Iron Man 1,2, Captain America, Thor and Incredible Hulk movies) and on Makeb, you are asked to use your influence, power and might to actually help your faction (Avengres movie) instead of going after some solo target, that is what heroes do. Now that Makeb crisis is dealt with (apparently, who knows what will happen next), our heroes have to deal with personal stuff again (Iron Man 3 and whole Marvel Phase 2)

Yeeeaah, I don't think it was because of Avengers. It was because the individual stories were not fit for Makeb (individual class story act should span at least two planets).

You spent three acts building your character, becoming a galactic legend, ascending to power, etc (if we are to use the Avengers approximation, A1-A3 were like Iron Man 1,2, Captain America, Thor and Incredible Hulk movies) and on Makeb, you are asked to use your influence, power and might to actually help your faction (Avengres movie) instead of going after some solo target, that is what heroes do. Now that Makeb crisis is dealt with (apparently, who knows what will happen next), our heroes have to deal with personal stuff again (Iron Man 3 and whole Marvel Phase 2)

the problem with that is my agent spent most of the time trying to get out from under imperial control and finally broke free and had all record of her ever existing erased. now i am supposed to believe she is jumping in to help the empire (and taking orders from them no less) she hates with a passion for what they did to her out of the goodness of her cold black heart...... yeah sorry not buying it.

the problem with that is my agent spent most of the time trying to get out from under imperial control and finally broke free and had all record of her ever existing erased. now i am supposed to believe she is jumping in to help the empire (and taking orders from them no less) she hates with a passion for what they did to her out of the goodness of her cold black heart...... yeah sorry not buying it.

What you got was only one of several Agent endings.

And if it is the one I got (it sounds very similar, but I have not played my Agent in quite some time), you do not part ways with the Empire in the "I will never help you again" way. You are still loyal to the Empire, but you are not under any jurisdiction. You help the Empire if it strikes your fancy or if you think they really need you

Other endings (agent is actually has several very different results)

1. Minister of Intelligence blackmails the Sith to reestablish Intelligence as it was )if you give him the Codex)\
  2. Sith establish their own Sith Intelligence, with you as strong candidate for leading it (giving the Codex to the Sith)
  3. Defecting to SIS, but remaining as a deep cover mole inside the Empire (Ardun Kohe must survive Quesh and you give the Codex to him, it is the ultimate LS ending, which I am trying to go for on my newest Agent)

All endings give you some reason to go to Makeb, or on Ilum...

What you got was only one of several Agent endings.

And if it is the one I got (it sounds very similar, but I have not played my Agent in quite some time), you do not part ways with the Empire in the "I will never help you again" way. You are still loyal to the Empire, but you are not under any jurisdiction. You help the Empire if it strikes your fancy or if you think they really need you

Other endings (agent is actually has several very different results)

1. Minister of Intelligence blackmails the Sith to reestablish Intelligence as it was )if you give him the Codex)\
  2. Sith establish their own Sith Intelligence, with you as strong candidate for leading it (giving the Codex to the Sith)
  3. Defecting to SIS, but remaining as a deep cover mole inside the Empire (Ardun Kohe must survive Quesh and you give the Codex to him, it is the ultimate LS ending, which I am trying to go for on my newest Agent)

All endings give you some reason to go to Makeb, or on Ilum...

doesn't really matter to me anymore the decision to drop the class stories was made and i will take every opportunity to let BW and whoever the f****** a****** was that made the decision that i think they were idiots for doing it. :D

doesn't really matter to me anymore the decision to drop the class stories was made and i will take every opportunity to let BW and whoever the f****** a****** was that made the decision that i think they were idiots for doing it. :D

I give up, the smarter man withdraws. You obviously want to be angry about Makeb not including individual stories, so be angry about it. Jut remember that even if there were individualized stories, people would complain that one planet was too short, etc... individual class story should take you over at least 2 planets per act.

I give up, the smarter man withdraws. You obviously want to be angry about Makeb not including individual stories, so be angry about it. Jut remember that even if there were individualized stories, people would complain that one planet was too short, etc... individual class story should take you over at least 2 planets per act.

its not just makeb in a interview they did for darth hater they said they will be doing the non-class stories from here on.

Jedi Knight - It just feels grand and epic with a very cool twist.

Trooper - Think Jedi Knight without the force. Very Grand battle for the fate of the Galaxy type feel.

Inquisitor - This is definitely more of a personal journey, but it's very fun none the less. I love the companion interaction.

Smuggler - This one can be fun at times and it probably has the best over all companion compilation.

Bounty Hunter - Wow... MEH! I honestly didn't care about anything that was going on at all. The companions are meh, the love interest for males comes off creepy, and the story as a whole is very uninteresting.

I'm still early on in the Agent, SW and Consular stories, but the Agent will likely be the next one that I delve into fully.

Edited by Galbatorrix

This is all subjective. Each person is going to like or dislike the stories as they will, so that what one person thinks is the "best story ever!" is the same thing another person thinks is "meh". I've also found that each story provides various positives and negatives, so that comparing them as if they all offer the same plot, character motivation, and / or story engagement just doesn't make much sense. What I can do is say what I liked or didn't like about each story, though.

Bounty Hunter: this is my favorite story by far, so I'll describe it first off. It was the second class I leveled to end game, and the character remained my Main for a while. I went with a female, even though the male VA did a dang good job, too. I just didn't like Mako enough to trudge through to the end of the romance arc with her while Torian completely dazzled me. Hands down, the entire Mandalorian tones of the tale just grabbed at me as I got into that part of the story, and I was hooked. Not that I disliked Ch 1, either. The Great Hunt was fun, Gault was stellar amusing, and the victory ceremony felt like a real accomplishment. Heck, the Alderaan arc with the BH is by far the absolute best planet story arc of any of the classes (go DS, btw .. only the BH gets to knock nobles around, it's awesome). But in the end what I loved the most was how you could have a character that truly GREW through her story line, that she actually became someone far different than she was at the beginning, which made it all much more plausible. That, and she was a true independent, all the way through. "I'm no Imperial, they just pay me." Awesome!

Smuggler: this was the class I played with during Beta and the first class I finished to end game once the game was released. So it remains one of my absolute favorites. I've leveled it twice, once as a female and then again as a male. Both are good, but I still think the male smuggler is even more fun to play than the female. And fun is the word here. The story is just plain fun, from start to finish. There were so many times I laughed as I was playing through the story, so many moments I couldn't help but stop and ask myself, "Did he just say that? Really?" and then start laughing again, that by the time all was said and done, I knew this story was worth it. I liked Corso as a perfect foil for my smuggler's humor, plus he was a good tank. And I liked how my guy smugg could pick between two romance options. I usually play heals, too, and scoundrel healing is exceptional in its mobility and outright effectiveness. The only thing I didn't like much was the way that the last two chapters seemed to bog down, with only the slightest twist right before Corellia. And even then Corellia was fun. I loved it.

Warrior: I'm going to admit I deleted my first warrior, because I read spoilers and thought, "No way I'm tolerating that kind of event." This class provides a heady twist during the final chapter, anyway, and I was at first mad. I played my warrior as a DS female, with a Quinn romance, and it was just plain shocking to think where it was going. Took me a while to RP a sense of understanding about the event, and then I played through. Gave it a second PT just to cement my own story. And then I loved it. I figure any sort of story that provides that kind of anticipation and tension is absolutely worth it. Love the incident or hate it, the bottom line it's friggin' interesting! Made me wonder about the total dynamics of the Sith Empire as a whole, and I thought it just plain fascinating to be so engaged as that. Quinn ended up being very nearly my favorite romance of the game. Absolutely exceptional story-telling, from start to finish.

Imperial Agent: this class is the one that honestly made me emotionally invested in the character's welfare. I was literally angered on his behalf. My agent is a DS male character. I tried going LS and female and just couldn't get into it. Doesn't help that I honestly despise James Bond stories and the whole of Ch 1 is like a James Bond movie. I literally imagined the bad guy at the end of CH 1 reaching behind him to pull out a white kitty cat and start stroking it as he monologued. Argh! Anyway, CH 2 totally made up for CH 1, and I was utterly pulled into the story. Anyone who says IA is the best story is surely talking about this particular Chapter. Completely mind-boggling good story from here on out, I think.

Knight: This one is the classic Star Wars hero story. I honestly thought about making a type 2 male with light colored hair and naming him Luke, sheesh. That's how traditional the story is. I ended up with a female, with dark hair, who makes a real good match up against Doc. They're just plain cute together. Although I still can't figure out how the galaxy survived that many doomsday devices floating around, my gosh! But if you're looking to save EVERYTHING over and over again, this is the story. What I liked the most was the feel of the combat, the way my girl would leap into the fray and start hitting stuff with two lightsabers like there was no tomorrow! Very enjoyable.

Sith Inquisitor: Tried making an assassin once, and didn't like it. More fun throwing lightning in endless arcs over and over and over again. I enjoyed playing my Sorc female for the sense of doom and mayhem she provided endlessly. Also enjoyed the way she had to literally fight for every single thing she enjoyed, until her taking the seat of power there at the end had a real sense of achievement. I was like, "Yea, she EARNED that chair." The companions are interesting, too, what with Khem growing on me like a fungus would, until I actually liked him.

Consular: Chapter 1 seems to last forever and ever. It's just real tough to get into. But the story absolutely fits the essence of the character class! Maybe it's because I played a Consular for years in tabletop RPG, I don't know. I only never felt there was something intrinsically wrong with the Consular as Bioware depicted him. The Consular is a diplomat, a negotiator, the wise and learned investigator maybe, and very often the stellar healer. I wasn't surprised that's what the class was in the MMO, then. My Consular is a Sage, male, body type 1 so that he's YOUNG. He's got a lot of power in that slight body of his, lol. But he's smart more than anything else and it shows through every step of his story. Ch 1 really does drag along, mind you. But I liked the story a lot from Balmorra on, loved Zenith and Nadia, and just plain enjoyed the game play once his little rock throwing truly ripped the bad guys apart.

Trooper: The one class I haven't played past the prologue on Ord Mantell. Seriously. When Bioware announced Cathar, I knew this was the class I'd make my Thundercat, and I refused to play it through until the kitties were released. However, from what I have seen, pure military. Like an action-adventure story in the making. I'm not adverse to the feel of military precision I've seen from the characters the trooper interacts with, seems to make sense in that stiff discipline so demanded of Soldiers, and I'm pretty sure I'll be okay playing through to end game with a Vanguard once 2.1 comes along to make my day.

And that is my thought process on the class stories. Take it for what it's worth. Which isn't much, mind you. Just my own opinion and easily discounted in the opinions of others, shrug.

its not just makeb in a interview they did for darth hater they said they will be doing the non-class stories from here on.

Well, yeah, completely forgot about that. However, that could be open up to interpretation. For example, all characters could be working towards a common "greater" goal (QUOTE: conflicts that decide the fate of the entire Galaxy), but getting there by their own separate ways (QUOTE: You can still put your personal touch on these stories). Makeb story did not have much "personal touch" to it, to be honest, besides people acknowledging you as a Havoc Squad, Jedi Master, etc...

The main problem here was that Makeb was probably originally not intended as a standalone act, but more like a extended daily mission zone (like Belasvis Bonus Series, but larger). However, the game had to change due to what current gaming market demands so it could generate profit and keep going...

I have played through the complete Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular stories. I like the Jedi Knight one better principally because I feel more constantly involved with the Jedi Council.

For instance, I like how Knight missions occasionally take me back to Tython to meet with the Council. The Consular, as I recall, only goes back Tython once (after healing all the masters).

I am also really enjoying the light side variant of the Sith Warrior story.

I have played through the complete Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular stories. I like the Jedi Knight one better principally because I feel more constantly involved with the Jedi Council.

For instance, I like how Knight missions occasionally take me back to Tython to meet with the Council. The Consular, as I recall, only goes back Tython once (after healing all the masters).

Well, the Consular gets his Master rank much sooner than a Jedi Knight, that is why he does not have to report his every step and fart to the Council. Plus, you are on a task for the Supreme Chancellor, so you either report to him or to the members of Rift Alliance.

Personally, I thought the Knight story was filled with way too much clichés

Edited by Aries_cz

• 2 weeks later...
Right now I'm enjoying both my female JC and my male IA. I'm not finished with Chapter 1 on either of them yet, so time will tell. I'm really enjoying this thread, lots of thoughtful responses. My first goal is to try each starting planet and I think I'm going to go with a trooper next. Which gender has the better voice acting? (I know some have already mentioned their preferences but I'm not likely to repeat any classes so I'd appreciate several people's thoughts on this.) Thanks. And yes, I am a noob.:rolleyes:

1. IA. SWTOR's James Bond with hard choices and interesting twists.

2. Trooper. This is a MILITARY story and if you are ready to act as specops you'll really enjoy the story. Very good set of companions with a close connection to the story as they are your squad.

3. Sith inquisitor. A story of spirits, rivalry, rise and power. Very solid and satisfying :p.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

4. Jedi knight. Slow start but epic 2nd half.

5-7. Smuggler, BH, SW. More predictable and with lesser logic than other stories. More of a set of nice and funny scenes and dialogs, but still very good overall.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

8. Consular. Is it really boring to be so good and helpful ? :(

P.S. All stories are very good especially for mmo.

1. Sith Warrior (There won't be a heart left beating!)

2. Jedi Knight (Slow to start, but becomes greater)

I have a Gunslinger, Commando and Sage, but I need to progress more through their story before I give an opinion on that.

From best to worst...

#1 - Agent

Just a very well put together story. I felt like my choices mattered, moreso than in any other story, the plot kept me interested, the ending was great. Most of the side characters were all quite solid as well. If I have one complaint, it's that I feel like I ended up with many of the "wrong" characters as companions. Despite the fact that most of the companions weren't the best, everything else was completely solid, though. I loved the way things came together, and loved how all the threads tied.

#2 - Consular

Consular starts out with a personal, yet intriguing story, then in the second half widens the scope, probably doing the best of all the Republic stories of making me feel like an important player in the galaxy. A few too many of the Children in the final chapter felt shoehorned in, though, and the early parts of the plot, particularly, didn't really hold together well unless choices were mostly light-sided.

#3 - Inquisitor

Inquisitor was just a cool rise-to-power story. I loved how it built on itself, with Chapter 1 establishing yourself, 2 gaining a unique power and then 3...actually really dragged too much in the early parts, but eventually got to the political power triumph and one heck of a great ending. If late chapter 2/early 3 didn't drag so much, this would've been the best easily, IMO. But unfortunately, that didn't happen...

#4 - Warrior

Warrior was just one great moment after the other. Each chapter managed to have its own, unique story, but despite that, never felt disjointed. Suffers in the same (but opposite) way as the Consular in that while Light Side choices lead to some cool scenes too, the points of the story sort of didn't work as well.

#5 - Smuggler

Smuggler was quirky and fun, and there was nothing quite like it. I really enjoyed the personal touch to the story, and Smuggler also has the best cast of companions, far and away. Like the Inquisitor, though, it sort of stumbles in the chapter 2-3 transition, and the personal touch that made it so fun also made it feel less "epic" compared to the others. Plus I didn't like how things ended up...

...with both main contacts actually having worked together to sucker you. It really made a lot of the choices up to that moment feel really pointless.

#6 - Hunter

Hunter sort of struggled with the paradigm of the character. It's hard to feel very "freelance" and still have a 3-part story propel you forward. Despite that, though, everything the Hunter did was done with delightful aplomb. It was a cool story with real personal investment, and the chance to make a big difference in the end. I do admit it a few of the characters were a little too minor, though.

#7 - Knight

Knight had some great moments. The first chapter was definitely the most solid, but it became a little too "normal" of a story after that. The "Chosen One" thing just got old after a while, and like the Consular, many of the Dark Side choices seemed inconsistent with the story after the first chapter. Still, had a nice heroic feel to it.

#8 - Trooper

Trooper, finally, was the one story I really just honestly disliked. Chapter one built up some interesting threads, and then utterly failed to deliver on any of them. Chapter two was all about finding companions who I didn't ultimately care about. And chapter three puts a war in the setting and then kept me away from it for the most part. Granted, I think its what some people like about it, but I just felt like a grunt...very rarely felt important, and that lacked appeal. There are also way too many poorly thought out "tough" choices that never bothered. By the time I got to that choice near the end, I was so numbed to supposedly no-win situations that I just didn't care anymore. What I will grant to the Trooper is that the climaxes for the 2nd and 3rd chapters were excellent...if the rest of the story had measured up to the bar of those two missions, my opinion would've been very different.