Rate the best class stories

AGSThomas

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all subjective. ...

Smuggler: this was the class I played with during Beta and the first class I finished to end game once the game was released. So it remains one of my absolute favorites. I've leveled it twice, once as a female and then again as a male. Both are good, but I still think the male smuggler is even more fun to play than the female. And fun is the word here. The story is just plain fun, from start to finish. There were so many times I laughed as I was playing through the story, so many moments I couldn't help but stop and ask myself, "Did he just say that? Really?" and then start laughing again, that by the time all was said and done, I knew this story was worth it. I liked Corso as a perfect foil for my smuggler's humor, plus he was a good tank. And I liked how my guy smugg could pick between two romance options. I usually play heals, too, and scoundrel healing is exceptional in its mobility and outright effectiveness. The only thing I didn't like much was the way that the last two chapters seemed to bog down, with only the slightest twist right before Corellia. And even then Corellia was fun. I loved it.....

I agree

So i'm a bit more casual and have only finished -one- story.. the jk.

Is it just me, while the stories relative to other mmo's are somewhat decent.. they're noticeably weaker than biowares single player games like mass effect? With all the praise for the story i was expecting something closer to mass effect quality at least...

Either that.. or i can really appreciate why tsw did what it did when limiting the number of active quests you can have going at once.. basically one key story quest is it. When you go to a hub in tor, by the time you've heard your story dialog, the planetary story dialog, and all the filler quests, the intent of what you're doing is all washed out... I tried to keep track of it when i first started playing.. but these days having up to 5 little stories to track at once looses me.

I've played all 8. My list for them...

1) Imperial Agent. Storyline missions just had me wanting more! Out of all the classes, if I could replay only one classes storyline, it would have to be this one. Wish I didn't go Operative as I prefered Gunslinger playstyle more, so Marksman would've probably been more fun for me, but Operative just felt to fit the IA more.

2) Inquisitor. Chapter 1 was great! Chapter 2 & 3 were average, but the Inquisitors lines and delivery just sold the Inquisitor for me.

3) Smuggler & Consular Tied for 3rd. Smuggler had the better lines. In fact, I'd say the best lines in the game. Chapter 1 wasn't to bad either, but after that, it was just the smuggler's attitude and lines that kept the story really going. Consular on the other hand could've been much better if they made the Consular (or given the option of) more snarky. Like the Inquisitor. Or more humorous like the Smuggler. Maybe somewhere in between.

Consular Chapter 1 really isn't that bad, and I liked it more than some of the others, but it takes getting used to, especially since you may not want to play the role of "Ultimate healer" in the beginning or at all.

After that, the story just improves with the Consular, imo, but needed better delivery of lines.

5) Bounty Hunter. Good lines. GREAT Chapter 1 Ending. Loved the end of Chapter 3. It was fun! Don't let me putting it at #5 fool you! I'd almost say tied for 3rd. But...it just...well a lot of the storylines really...could've been a lot better. I think the Great Hunt just wasn't a good way to go personally. I think BH's closing scene with the crew on the ship is one of the best closing scenes out of all the classes (reminded me of Firefly).

6) JK. Barely edges out SW. Almost a tie. End of Chapter 2 was GREAT! JK probably gets the best ending for Chapter 2. You're last boss fight in Chapter 3 is of course epic, but the build up...just something was missing. Lines weren't to bad.

7) SW. Just wasn't as impressed as other people. Some good lines. Great voice actress. Story just needed some tweaking, and personally, I thought SW had the weakest of the closing cut scenes.

8) Trooper. Well...Loved Jaxo, Jorgan and Elara >_> Also, its a class that makes little sense when it comes to alignment. Darkside after darkside point for sacrificing the few for the many, then you get to one spot and they reverse it, Darkside for sacrificing the many for the one.

Having just completed all the class stories I must rank the stories as such

Grade A

-Imp Agent (great story from beginning to end, with nice plot twists, keep my interested till the end)

Grade B

-Sith warrior (great story from beginning to end, messing with the jedi=fun, missing just a little interest at times)

-Sith iinquisitor (story dragged a little in middle, great ending, was able to keep a person interested)

-Jedi Knight (story dragged a little at times, best ending of any story, choices matter)

Grade B-

-Bounty Hunter (story was good, most companion additions has fun stories i.e. Gault,)

-Smuggler (story was good, dragged a little chapter 1, made you feel like a shifty smuggler=good)

-Trooper (always felt like you were progressing republic interests, ending was not great)

Grade C

Jedi consular (barely passible, story dragged from beginning to end, worst ending of all stories, lost interest in story line many times to switch and play different characters)

Separating them into tiers rather than specific ranks.

Tier 1: Imperial Agent and Jedi Knight: Agent a bit better overall from start to finish, but jedi knight chapter 3 and the ending was epic enough to push them into a virtual tie. Both also very much have the feel I'd expect for their archetypes, and what I felt were solid companions. The choices also seemed meaningful, especially for the agent.

Tier 2: Smuggler. Another story with a great feel to it, very true to the archetype. Not as riveting as the two above, but very fun, interesting companions, and especially strong antagonists: feels very good to off your enemies, and you feel very free to do basically whatever you want.

Tier 3: Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior, Trooper. Solid stories overall, with a very authentic feel, like the ones above, but stories aren't as riveting. Trooper is kind of generic, SW and BH are less so, but in my opinion, the inability to choose which companions you want (or don't want) is the most glaring for them. Definitely breaks immersion. Good, but not great.

Tier 4: Consular. The story usually feels true to the archetype, which unfortunately makes it rather dull at times, but also really only feels like it makes sense with one AC: The sage. As a shadow, I always felt kind of... out of place. Companions are decent but not great, story doesn't really heat up until the second chapter.

Tier 5: Inquisitor. May have been a decent story if it were standalone, but for an archetype supposedly based off of Palpatine, just awful. Wanted to throw every companion save one right out the airlock, generic plot, basically sith warrior lite, anything SI story does, SW does, but better.

• 1 month later...

1: Imperial Agent - Story and walkthrough are amazing, it has very good content and it surprised me the Dark Side choice. Loved every second of it.

2: Sith Inquisitor - Though it gets pretty boring after Belsavis, this one had a great story regarding that you start as a slave and end up as a power figure and a Council member. It was also my first storyline played and my first toon maxed to 55 and deserves to be 2nd.

3: Sith Warrior - The story is fairly good, it' shows the true Sith story like becoming the master in the end. I didn't expect much but the warrior's combat skills are awesome specially if playing as Marauder.

4: Jedi Knight - The story became good at chapter 3 to be honest. But I like that it has a chain storyline with KOTOR.

5: Smuggler - Haven't started it yet but since I loved playing with my Sniper I'd love playing with Gunslinger.

6: Bounty Hunter - Clearly the worst storyline but we can't expect much from a bounty hunter (can we?) but besides that, the combat abilities were pretty good regarding missiles (as a Merc) and I also had to play it for the Buff and Legacy unlocks ;).

I won't probably play the Trooper and Consular since I started both and were both depressing and boring, anyway some time in the future I'll be playing it just for the Legacy unlocks.

I'd have to say Sith Warrior. I liked the Sith Inquisitor story until I played the SW. Like someone else said, SW story does everything the SI does, but more and better.

Everyone praises the Agent story, but really I think Act 2 carries it. I don't like how it only introduces the main antagonist in Act 3, and this last minute antagonist isn't even hinted at in any other story or piece of Star Wars lore. And seriously...

Star Cabal? That's the best name someone could come up with?

It does get major props for being the only story where your earlier decisions actually matter in the end, though.

I have played all eight.Some twice.I wanted to change things around.

IA the best. DAO quality.

SI I really liked it.

JK was good and surprised.I thought it would be more H&S but I was a happy little camper with how they set it up.

SW I thought was good.

BH was decent.I enjoy chapter 3 the most.

The other 3 meh.

I've finished 7 out of 8 classes. I'm currently finishing the Smuggler story, so I won't include that on this list. I'll include in parenthesis whether I played light side or dark side, as some stories may have varying degrees of differences on how things happen within said stories.

1) Jedi Knight (Light Side)

This is THE main story of the game. It may not be the most original, but it is the most Star Wars-ey of them all. It's a Hero's Journey type of story which is the closest thing to what I expect and what I want out of a Star Wars story. I also like some of the surprises in various chapters, the story really made me hate the final boss in Chapter 1, I actually teared up and got mad when he did what he did at the end of Alderaan, for example. I also love the big twist at the end of chapter 2, and the final confrontation in chapter 3.

This is also practically KOTOR3 and continues the story from KOTOR 1 and 2 in a way. You end up doing something both Revan (KOTOR1) and The Exile (KOTOR2) was not able to do, you get to realize that in Chapter 3 and learn more from conversations with a certain companion.

I had the most emotional attachment to the Jedi Knight story than any other class story in the game. This is definitely my favorite.

2) Imperial Agent (Light Side)

This is the top story for a lot of people, and if I didn't love the JK story as much as I did, this would also be my number one. Everyone has already said why, it's the most original and it has a big psychological twist in the middle that surprises you. Also, I neither love nor hate spy stories, and as expected this is pretty much a spy story, if you like those, then you'll like this even more than I did.

3) Sith Warrior (Dark Side)

This is quite a fun and evil playthrough, especially if you played it dark side like I did. And it's not cartoon-ey evil as well, you have reasons behind why you're doing things the way you did. It's also probably the most bad *** out of all the stories. You just get so many moments that you really feel your character was becoming an unstoppable force (forgive the pun). You also get to see some sith politics come into play.

4) Sith Inquisitor (Dark Side)

This has a bit more nuance behind it than the Sith Warrior play through, but it is at times less exciting. It has a good start, was a bit boring in the middle, and only becomes great again at the end. The great and satisfying ending brought it up for me a notch.

5) Bounty Hunter (Light Side)

I enjoyed this quite a bit, since I have a soft spot for playing that lone mercenary type. Not to mention, I played a Bounty Hunter back in SWG. But it is pretty much what you would expect for a Bounty Hunter story, you go after bounties. It has a nice surprise in chapter 3. Overall it was a good story, nothing much special about it, but I still had fun with it. I also liked most of the companions in it.

6) Trooper (Light Side)

As expected, this one has that military movie feel to it. It has a nice twist at the end of the starter planet, and it also has a moral decision in the middle chapter that takes some players a long time to decide on (they know what I'm talking about). Aside from certain moments and minor surprises here and there, it's pretty much your average military story as you try your best to protect the Republic. What I didn't like was the ending. In my opinion this probably has the worst ending out of all the stories in this game. I can't really explain why without spoiling it, suffice to say I felt like they erased something I worked hard for.

7) Jedi Consular (Light Side)

This is probably not a surprise. I have also seen people place this as last on their list. It doesn't mean it's a bad story... it's just okay. It takes you a bit into diplomacy, investigations, healing people and such. It's still a quality story, but it is probably the most mediocre story out of them all in my opinion. While the Trooper had the worst ending for me, it did have more peaks and over all better moments during the overall story. The Consular story was pretty much consistent in just being okay or bland. You do get to say a nice big speech in the end though.

Edited by Gamman

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really rate 1-8 so I'm gonna put them into tiers

Tier 1: Agent (Loved every part of the story and even the twist at the end of chapter one and the middle of chapter 2 even emotionally took control of me. Chapter 3 wasent as exciting as one and two but the ending was great either way)

Knight (Great class overall, basically KOTOR3, very satisfying ending)

Inquisitor ( I loved every part of this class, to me the story was really interesting even if chapter 2 was apparantally dull, loved it all in all, great class.)

Tier 2: Warrior(could be tier 1 but I enjoyed the Inquiz a bit more, so you could say this is tier 1.5)

Counsolar(1st class and first to finish so it has a special place in my heart)

Smuggler ( I loved the prologue so a good prologue really leads to a good chapter 1 which it did, I liked chapter 1, 2 was ehh but 3 was good aswell, so it was a decent class.

Tier 3: Bounty Hunter (Enjoyed it up until chapter 2 until I realized its just more Bounty finding)

Trooper (might be good but I can't get used to the story even though chapter one isn't even that bad, my guy is stuck on Shaddaa and I don't feel like playing it at all.

I've played through Sith War, Jedi Knight and Inq. stories. Currently working on Smuggler, IA and BH.

Out of all these stories, Sith War was only one that didn't feel like a pile of bloated sith. SW:TOR has gigantic issues with storytelling. Everything moves so..very..slowly. BW's peculiar decision to cram all these stories within boundaries of WoW era questing structure pretty much ensures the hero's journey consists of millon tiny, methodically covered baby steps.

Steps taken feel so insignificant that by time something interesting actually happens, you have grown so perfectly numb that it is difficult to care anymore.

Somehow I always felt Sith War manages to avoid this. The lie SW class story sells about things actually constantly moving onwards managed to convince me. With the exceoption of Sith War, pretty much everything is same stale boring seen it million times " Find Patended Bioware Key1, Bioware Key2, Bioware Key3 in order to open Bioware Door4 on Planet Blah" - type of a thing. Except Smuggler and BH. Apparently literally nothing ever ****** happens in either of these 2 stories.

Much less NPCs to interact with. Much more life and character to ones who remain. Currently class story is ..what, 10 hours of dialogue about 100 quests spread among 80 NPCs. It should be like 8 hours of dialogue, 50 quests spread among 10 quest giver NPCs.

Issue necessarily isn't even with bad writing as such; It's just that very deisgn of the game requires storyline must be presented to playter though 200 simple MMO quests with design as fresh as vanilla-era WoW. it makes pretty small and frustrating cage for writer to stand in.

Almost all NPCs are boring, irrelevant clay statues reading their quest logs and explaining their things-to-do to player without single spark of life or character in them. For anyone curious about what it is like to play an MMO with well written quest giver NPCs, I much encourage you to try The Secret World. Contrast in character, life present is pretty staggering.

SWTOR storylines In terms of 1-10:

Sith War: 8-/10

Inq: 7-/10

Jedi Knight: Way too bloated/10. Very interesting thigs happen. All of it buried in irrelevant sith.

BH: Terrible/10

Smuggler: Terrible/10

IA: Can't really remember/10

On top of it all, I remain very disappointed how removed all stories are from one another and Galaxy as a whole. They could almost all exist in Galaxy of their own. Sith War and Jedi Knight are only stories so far that even briefly bother to flirt with one another.

Edited by Stradlin

After my experience so far the best class stories have thus far been

1: Sith warrior- I'm a sucker for the thug/enforcer mindset and as one of the Seven (7) people who actually like Baras I found his methods and manner to be surprising and infinity pleasing to work for as a sith lord. Right up until the end I had no great complaints with the story. Well, aside from one or two companion quirks

Quinns betrayal: Like everybody I wanted to crack his head open instead of a curt chastisement

Broonmark: Why? can't I have a broken albino wookie beserker instead?

2: Agent- Started off a little weak taking orders from Darth Mask in between intelligence missions but things took a sudden turn before too long that got me hooked and personally outraged/keen to see it finished and once the action started to heat up in late act 2-3 I saw what the fuss was about. My only complaints below

I dont recall ever getting closure with Dark jadis/zorrid, two people I very much wanted to stab. Also I'd forgotten if I knew Hunter, so the reveal lacked a lot of weight

3: Bounty Hunter: While pretty much all of act one bored me to death after you set events in motion act two and three started to liven up some more, and while I'm rarely invested in a positive way for these story's the sense of outrage I felt during the agent story started here.

The whole SIS arc felt a little less forced, and more a harsh reminder that the galaxy is a complex place, plus being framed really pissed me off

My gripes here however are fairly major, and only the inquisitor being the Worst Thing Ever saves the BH from the bottom

Companions, from Mako to skage not one of them meshed or seemed viable. Mako was infinity to soft to make a reliable support, Gault was worthless as a dps spec, Blizz never endeared itself to me while the Mando was just dull and Skage is sitting in the "worst companions ever" list. Not one of them made me want to spent time with so Mako, as the token healer got it all and I just delt with her ************

Lastly: Inquisitor- What can I saw, from my first meeting with overseer Harken through to the very end nothing about this class felt compelling, there was no sense of growth. With Zash sending you out on a thinly veiled scavenger hunt that proves you are going to make enemy's under her and the most wasteful aspects of the sith on display I finished this class feeling sick to have made it my main for gameplay reasons alone.

Zash wanting to steal your body was a poor, insulting effort with no logic behind it because Khem, them Thanaton wanting to kill you as a matter of idiot tradition just smacked as an excuse to do act one all over again as a space ghostbuster. The whole force ghost BS felt forced and stilted, padding to push the story into act 3..witch turned out to be a "chase and beat his *** several times until he decides it counts for realz"

And then the minions. Khem got old, fast. I was thrilled to see he had a brain and enjoyed cultural gifts. But being the atypical dark side companion ruined it, he enjoyed no reason, no logic. Just killing- Revel felt amazingly forced, as did Talos, neither had a compelling reason to linger once my use for them was at an end. Lets not even talk about how meaningless- broken even Ashara is, being impossible to rep with at any tolerable pace without being a light side male. Even Xalek, the golden boy of the class is only good because he is a moderately better tank then Khem, as a character he is nothing, blankness shored up as a character trait

I would not recommend leveling an inquisitor

All the stories are the same to me. Talk to a quest giver and press <space> over the entire conversation to activate the quest, then follow the quest symbols on the map and kill what ever the quest says to kill, then turn it in, being sure to space over any converstion again. Rinse and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost universally agreed that IA is the best class story, or at the least the most original. JK gets big points for basically being the classic SW hero's tale as well as what most consider to be KOTOR 3.

Even among the TOR writers the IA's story is often singled out as the "wow" story. I think it's the one that wasn't expected to be something pre-planned (JK = Luke/KOTOR 3, Smugs = Han, Warrior = Vader, Hunter = Fett) so the writer(s) for it had free reign to do whatever, and it shows. IMO, more of the stories needed a bit more freedom like this.

Hunter, Consular and Trooper rarely get much love. Esp. the Hunter.

It might also be noted that few of the stories (save maybe IA) have the heft of a single-player Bioware game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

I loved playing the Jedi Knight story Dark Side you get the feeling that you're a vengeful bad*** and I was loving it idk if anyone else went dark side in the story either. I gotta say since I only played those 2 stories and haven't started working on my with imperial agent yet so idk but Warrior and Dark Knight(pun not intended) are tied for me.

Of the ones I've played a lot of...

Agent: The story isn't afraid to really put the player character through physical, mental, and emotional hell, which makes it all the more satisfying to survive through it all.

Knight: I played Dark Side as a guy who turned more and more militaristic and never realized how evil he had become, and the story worked well for that.

Smuggler: Pretty much ok. Act 1 has a very solid villain who matches against the Smuggler well. Lots of funny scenes. Memorable companions.

Inquisitor: Pretty much alright! Zash was a fun character. Only ranks lower than Smuggler because Ashara stays goody goody.

Consular: Act 1 is soooooo boring and sooo predictable. Everybody should be able to figure out the great big mystery way sooner than the morons on the Jedi Council do. It picks up a lot in Act 2 and 3, though the mystery in Act 3 is also really obvious. As a note, DS Consular (both male and female) is sad and just doesn't have the gravitas the knight does when being evil, but it works well for LS Consulars. (technically I'm only half way through Coreilla on my Consular.)

Bounty Hunter: Act 1 is dull. I signed up to be a BH but the Great Hunt feels more like a sports thing. No good side chars to speak of. Two companions are forced on you, too, including the infamous Skadge.

Edited by Excise

Tier 5: Inquisitor. May have been a decent story if it were standalone, but for an archetype supposedly based off of Palpatine, just awful. Wanted to throw every companion save one right out the airlock, generic plot, basically sith warrior lite, anything SI story does, SW does, but better.

Well now you have to tell us which companion gets spared!

1. Warrior - solid pacing and dialogue, interesting plot and companions, very well done supporting characters (Baras, Vowrawn, etc). It does a good job of presenting the warrior as a no-nonsense character who usually takes the most direct/confrontational approach to achieving their goals. The female voiceover takes the cake as best in the game imo.

2. Agent - cool companions, fun plot twists, dialogue choices that have lasting consequences

3. Inquisitor

4. Consular

5. Knight

6. Smuggler - Act1 was great then the story tapers off. Funniest dialogue by far. Female voiceover is awesome.

7. Trooper

8. BH

Edited by Projawa

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I should post and potentially rez the thread, but from what I've read (up until page 4ish), Smugglers aren't getting much love.

I'm new to SWTOR, and I just rolled a Smuggler the other day. As of right now, I'm on Taris (level 18) and I'm absolutely loving the guy. Same goes for my BH (though he's still in Dromund Kaas). I think it might be the fact that mercenary types are the only characters I can relate to in an MMO where you do just about everything everyone requests because... well, because.

That, and both classes offer humor and witty comments (definitely a fan of the whole cocksure/arrogant behavior of the smuggler), and any class who can have handfuls of those get my favor instantly. I mean... C'mon, who doesn't like a witty *** with a hidden heart of gold? Or if you're my BH... Who doesn't like a witty *** with no heart at all?