Game Update 2.1!

Lovethebeard

Here it is, when you say the company needs to make money, the biggest earner for the company is subscribers, look at a cost breakdown of an mmo financial chart. Subscribers is the money maker and hence it is in the best interest for the company to push people towards subscribing. F2P players should be charged to change appearances etc in an attempt to push them towards subscribing, subscribers should not, maybe in game credits. You say it is haters but it is not hating for people not to want to pay real money for it when they are already subscribing and paying money for them to release these updates. Now i realize we are given monthly cc so this argument may be obsolete, but that all depends on the actuall cost of dyes, hairstyles and whatever else is part of this update. However your argument of people chaging there charcters all the time will not even be noticed by you dont pretend it will, except for your guild members or freinds you play with all the time, you wouldnt notice who changed or what changed it doesnt matter what they changes, you say it will ruin the gameworld but i think it would increase it, a constant change of characters, colors, hairstlyes, body type will make this game feel more alive and different as opposed to seeing 1000 people running around with the same armor you have on, an mmo is an rpg expereince that is meant to feel alive, alowing people to change would create a better sense for that. With all that said i love this game and i will be playing for years to comes, ill be paying bioware to continue to create updates like this to increase the game experience.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is, when you say the company needs to make money, the biggest earner for the company is subscribers, look at a cost breakdown of an mmo financial chart. Subscribers is the money maker and hence it is in the best interest for the company to push people towards subscribing. F2P players should be charged to change appearances etc in an attempt to push them towards subscribing, subscribers should not, maybe in game credits. You say it is haters but it is not hating for people not to want to pay real money for it when they are already subscribing and paying money for them to release these updates. Now i realize we are given monthly cc so this argument may be obsolete, but that all depends on the actuall cost of dyes, hairstyles and whatever else is part of this update. However your argument of people chaging there charcters all the time will not even be noticed by you dont pretend it will, except for your guild members or freinds you play with all the time, you wouldnt notice who changed or what changed it doesnt matter what they changes, you say it will ruin the gameworld but i think it would increase it, a constant change of characters, colors, hairstlyes, body type will make this game feel more alive and different as opposed to seeing 1000 people running around with the same armor you have on, an mmo is an rpg expereince that is meant to feel alive, alowing people to change would create a better sense for that. With all that said i love this game and i will be playing for years to comes, ill be paying bioware to continue to create updates like this to increase the game experience.

What would be the point of charging F2P? The majority of F2P players aren't spending a dime on this game. . . .if they're *actually* F2P it means they've spent less than $5 -- which means they've spend $0.

Subscriptions are NOT fueling the game at a.. However, subscribers themselves are. Subs are the ones buying hypercrates on a regular basis.

I wouldn't mind seeing them do something like:

Once-a-month changes (not species, just the other pieces of appearance) are available for purchase through credits for Subscribers. Any additional changes will be CC only.

It will be both CC and Creds. I say this because the tokens will come from the CM. I'm fairly certain those tokens will be sell-able on the GTN. In which case, they will be both, CC and Creds depending on what you think is in your best interest.

Total guess job here, so don't take my word as gospel. It's just how they have been doing things.

Also, I do feel a bit nickel and dimed by this update as a subscriber. But I understand that this is a major area BW can generate money. In which case I understand, however, they are walking a thin line on this issue and should come back with a 2.2 update that has content for subscribers.

Its a skin...like humans and twileks...its not like its the most game changing feature ever. Its not even playable content.

I dont recall any big threads which are begging for Cathar to be in the game...

I dont recall any saying they want Makeb in the game.

I don't mind cathar being in the game.

Ha, you missed the picture. Changing haircuts I have no problem with, its having people from a type 2 body type Twi'lek running around as a body type 4 Zabrak the next day and then a body type 3 cyborg a couple of hours later. It will completely ruin the feel of the game. :rolleyes:

Im all for Cartel Coin purchase, and I hope its not too cheap either.

How? How does that impact your game whatsoever? Why do YOU care what "I" look like? Why would it matter to you if it were Twilek day and we all customized our characters as Twileks? How does that ruin the "feel" of the game for you exactly?

I'm 100% in disagreement with you. I hope as much as possible is FREE and allows players to customize their character however they see fit. The more customization people can do for FREE, the better this feature will be. Customization is a VERY important part of MMOs and to charge extra for it is simply greedy. It would be much more in Bioware's interest to allow free customization whenever players wanted imo. I don't care if you wanna be a pink Twilek or a purple cyborg, I'm just happy to have people playing, no matter what they want to look like. If FREE customization keeps them here longer (and it does), I'm all for it.

Its a skin...like humans and twileks...its not like its the most game changing feature ever. Its not even playable content.

I dont recall any big threads which are begging for Cathar to be in the game...

I dont recall any saying they want Makeb in the game.

I DID i asked for Cathar and YES it might be minor, but it is the little things that make the game more fun!!!

So we're now able to change RACE but not advanced classes? Yeah, okay; let me go water my wombats and milk my cats.

Can you imagine the skill and loot issues if they added AC changes?

I don't need that kind of annoyance when level 55 Pugs are already antagonizing enough as is.

Company's gotta make money and haters gonna hate. You do realize you receive free cartel coins every month right?

Subscribers pay 12 to 15 bucks a month but only get around 8 bucks in CC every month. If BW/EA were to give me 15 bucks worth of CC every month I wouldn't have a problem with them charging for stuff like this, but two things make me wonder if my money here is well spent:

1- Subscribers now being forced to use CC for QoL update things like Cathar and Customization changes

2- BW/EA going back on their word that subscribers wouldn't have to pay CC for things like this.

If this is the future of this game we are all in serious trouble.

Subscribers pay 12 to 15 bucks a month but only get around 8 bucks in CC every month. If BW/EA were to give me 15 bucks worth of CC every month I wouldn't have a problem with them charging for stuff like this, but two things make me wonder if my money here is well spent:

1- Subscribers now being forced to use CC for QoL update things like Cathar and Customization changes

2- BW/EA going back on their word that subscribers wouldn't have to pay CC for things like this.

If this is the future of this game we are all in serious trouble.

The plight of gamers.... tough times ahead. better strap in and be ready for the apocalypse.

ps - AC change is coming, you can bet on that.

Edited by chuixupu

Can you imagine the skill and loot issues if they added AC changes?

I don't need that kind of annoyance when level 55 Pugs are already antagonizing enough as is.

That just has "run with guildies" written all over it. There will be some serious bad blood around if AC Changes come in, given the problems some players already have with finding and choosing their ACs.

It's already been said (in video or on Dulfy) that the CC costs are on a per-slider basis. So if you just want to change eyes, then you only pay for eyes.

The more you change to more it costs, and the opposite is also true.

I'm gonna be blunt here... but subscribers shouldnt have to pay for that stuff. It feels like nicklel and dime.

I'm ok to pay for the cathar, but having to pay everytime i change the look seems a bit like charging for every clip on battlefield. I cant say i aprove of this. Theres a discount, but this type of content is free for WoW subscribers for example. Its a mistake to try and charge your subscribers for a change in looks. Change in species/gender i can understand though.

Sadly, subbers HAVE to pay for stuff similar to this in games like Champions Online of Star Trek Online, but with the in-game currency, in this case, Globals, or StarFleet/Klingon Energy Credits. Same in WoW when changing hairstyle. Monehs. And since there is also an in-game BUYABLE Currency, the Cartel Coins, we 'ELITE SUBBERS', as some refer us to, will have to pay for it too, just less. NOTHING, literally NOTHING, is ever truly free. Not even air - exhaust and all.

Name changing feature would fit well in 2.1 but Bioware is being stubborn about it. Seriously it's a feature that should be part of a mmo. Have restrictions on the feature if needed, such as only usable once per character every 3 months or so to prevent people from constantly changing names.

dude, are you stupid? think about this for a while please. you know they are not gonna let you have 'FREE' customization. dont be silly.

Straw man. Way to completely ignore his valid points with an irrelevant assumption.

Name changing feature would fit well in 2.1 but Bioware is being stubborn about it. Seriously it's a feature that should be part of a mmo. Have restrictions on the feature if needed, such as only usable once per character every 3 months or so to prevent people from constantly changing names.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this was a part of it. When F2P was on the PTS (or right after launch, can't remember which) the blurb listing what subscribers get listed a free name change ever so often. They then said that was a mistake and removed it. The fact that it was in their at all is evidence that they were working on or at least batted the idea around back then. It's possible it wasn't ready and it will be for this patch.

Gotta say, I'm quite happy with the upcoming update, except for one thing pissing me off.

So I'm paying $15 a month for all sorts of extra features, yeah? I'm fine with that. But....

WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TO PAY TO RE-CUSTOMIZE THE CHARACTERS I ALREADY PAY TO HAVE?!

Seriously, you're giving subscribers a DISCOUNT? Ok i can understand maybe charging for a species change, but we are going to be charged for moving one of the SLIDERS. "Want a battle scar? oh sorry. That'll cost you.." Seriously it's freakin annoying...

Edited by bananadeadpool

Gotta say, I'm quite happy with the upcoming update, except for one thing pissing me off.

So I'm paying $15 a month for all sorts of extra features, yeah? I'm fine with that. But....

WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TO PAY TO RE-CUSTOMIZE THE CHARACTERS I ALREADY PAY TO HAVE?!

Seriously, you're giving subscribers a DISCOUNT? Ok i can understand maybe charging for a species change, but we are going to be charged for moving one of the SLIDERS. "Want a battle scar? oh sorry. That'll cost you.." Seriously it's freakin annoying...

I just don't understand how it's annoying.

I spent 20+ minutes perfecting my characers when I first made them. I have NO interest in changing any of them. Customizing the colorings on gear? Absolutely. If I cared that much to change them, I'd pony up the money or re-roll. I'm not saying y'all should HAVE to do that -- but I don't get the *need* to re-customize.