Shadows/assassins need a rebalance

ripamorame

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

Deception/Infiltration has been a sub-par pvp spec since the beginning of the game. Sorry for you die hard believers, but the Tank in DPS gear ruled the day). BW finally gets the class right and of course ppl are crying.

I looked at a couple of the OP's other post and it appears he plays a sniper. I bet he'd QQ if someone started a post calling for a nerf to snipers.

Aaahhh that explains it. He probably sits in cover with tunnel vision, not paying attention to what's around him (or using stealth detection!!). Maybe if he checked behind him once in a while, he would see that tell tail purple glow from the cloaked Assassin. :rolleyes:

If he didn't have his back to the sin, he wouldnt experience Maul quite so often. I find it laughable that an ability is called OP when the best counter is turning :cool:

Edited by chimex

the issue isnt so much that they have a 10K maul but the fact that they can proc it with recklessness, 2 hits like that and your already down to less that 10k health. imagine if an arsnall merc could proc heat seeker and rail shot! thats 13K after the tracers have fully procced the damage and still only just over half over what a sin can do in 2 global cooldowns.

Personally im pyro merc, imagine my frustration when i net them stick y bomb on them and they go invincible and do that to me, im now 10k vs 30k with no main skill. and that's nearly every encounter. then they stealth and come out with another burst and GG

In short yes they should be nerfed, shorter invincibility and do they really need 2 procs from recklessness? i would still play my own sin with that happily.

But on a more serious note BWftw scoundrel is in a pretty good place right now. If you are talking about node defending then a dps scoundrel does just as well as a dps (infil or balance) shadow. If you don't know how this is the case then it is a l2p issue and I don't feel like explaining it to you.

Now if you are talking as a tank spec then of course shadow wins the node guarding. But that is like me qq'n that my shadow can't heal as well as my scoundrel.

Scoundrels are also great at pug sin style play. When talking straight sin style play a scoundrel can drop the correct target extremely fast. A scoundrel just relies on stealth more than a shadow does. Could dps scoundrel maybe use a slight buff? sure, maybe but it is nothing like you qq about. I don't have the issues on my scoundrel that you seem to have so idk how to help you there.

As far as top endgame style play then with a good team using cross healing and guarding/taunts both the infil shadow and scoundrel will still be a little weak on avg compared to some other classes. I would think the scoundrel would suffer considerably more in this arena and I that is why I said above that they could possibly use some buffing. However, this buff would have to come with some consequences as both infil shadow and dps scoundrel are great in regs for their intended roles.

Also, scoundrels are still great healers.

I want some love for madness.

^. Now that makes some sense. Infiltration needs toned down quite a bit. Madness got gutted for no reason. This has nothing to do with what tree I prefer. I liked infiltration/dec pre 2.0 better. I thought the spec was borderline OP then, compared to a scoundrel/op. Now it is just like...how the hell did this make it out of beta.

Oh yeah. That's right. These were last second changes/buffs to infiltration/deception when most people were complaining that madness/balance was bad, and they couldn't figure out why they nerfed it.

So what did Bioware do? Buffed the !@$% out of an already good tree and gave a stealth spec that was already bursty more mitgation (30 percent more armor), when it already had WAY better survival then a op/scoundrel. Then they gave us instant resets on potency, an instant 3 stack on breach on restealth, and doubled our increased damage maul procs LOL. Then they threw in an instant heal, cus why the hell not. None of this helped pve, but instead made the tree god like in warzones.

Scoundrel had horrible survival so they took passive healing away from recuperate, made it a 2 min cooldown and gave them a roll so that they could keep up with classes that got more escapes.

Makes perfect sense. Buff the mitigation of a class that didn't need it, give them more burst outside of pve they didn't need, and nerf the @%$@ out of madness/balance, and lessen scoundrel/op survival when it was the worst in the game.

Oh and as far as the /hug guy? I don't need a hug. I need a developer to play both classes and tell me how the @%$@ this even happens. I have a shadow. He is getting geared before my marauder/sniper (who are both still very good classes). Hell at this point I am probably going to spend my snipers ranked on him as well, because Bioware/EA doesn't fix @!%$ for months on end, and the sniper bores me to death.

Oh I will be laughing hysterically, but I don't think it is fun for the other people who don't have a god class/spec...

But on a more serious note BWftw scoundrel is in a pretty good place right now. If you are talking about node defending then a dps scoundrel does just as well as a dps (infil or balance) shadow. If you don't know how this is the case then it is a l2p issue and I don't feel like explaining it to you.

Now if you are talking as a tank spec then of course shadow wins the node guarding. But that is like me qq'n that my shadow can't heal as well as my scoundrel.

Scoundrels are also great at pug sin style play. When talking straight sin style play a scoundrel can drop the correct target extremely fast. A scoundrel just relies on stealth more than a shadow does. Could dps scoundrel maybe use a slight buff? sure, maybe but it is nothing like you qq about. I don't have the issues on my scoundrel that you seem to have so idk how to help you there.

As far as top endgame style play then with a good team using cross healing and guarding/taunts both the infil shadow and scoundrel will still be a little weak on avg compared to some other classes. I would think the scoundrel would suffer considerably more in this arena and I that is why I said above that they could possibly use some buffing. However, this buff would have to come with some consequences as both infil shadow and dps scoundrel are great in regs for their intended roles.

Also, scoundrels are still great healers.

And sins are great tanks? *** is your point? Jugs are great tanks also.

A l2p issue? A shadow/sin hard counters a scoundrel/op harder then a sniper counters a marauder/sent. That fight is not winnable if the players are even close to = in skill.

One isn't reliant on his opener. One has 25 percent more PLUS mitigation coming out of stealth for 12 seconds. One can go completely immune to the others damage and CC.

This matchup isn't even close. I can beat a operative if they GET the opener. They have no chance in hell of beating me if I get mine, and I am always going to get it when attacking.

That makes one good for defending and one bad. The only time a scoundrel/op is viable on defense is when no infilt/sins are present in the warzone LOL.

Bad play doesn't make these classes close to equal. Add to this? Scoundrel/op are MUCH worse in a group fight.

You said it yourself. Scoundrel/op's aren't frontline fighters. So if they lose to a shadow/sin dps spec EVERY TIME, and they suck at group fights, then what purpose do they have? None.

Infiltration spec shadow/assassins is a burst spec. Its supposed to hit hard, but not have good sustained damage (which it doesn't). You say you got hit hard by maul, but like another poster said, what about heat-seeking missile hitting up towards 10k?

Do me a favor, get the shadow to 50.

Knockdown which procs increased dmg Shadowstrike, then press potency (increases crit), breach, project in that order. Tell me what that hits for.

That doesn't include a low slash, another shadowstrike, or being able to be immune to CC for a good part of this. Oh yeah and this class just got a 30 percent more dmg execute and ALL damage when target is below 30 percent health.

FYI. You also have a stun left...and have been under 25 percent mitigation for the 5-6 seconds it takes to kill someone, and pressing blackout gives you another 6. This resets on every restealth and so did the above offensive combo I listed. This also doesn't include a 2 minute cooldown which can increase technique damage.

This class doesn't just burst. It bursts stupidly with both melee and spells (which means you go right through dodge), can lock you down, can be immune to CC while doing it, and has better mitigation then a freakin marauder under cloak of pain for 12 seconds out of stealth (not including the immunity to force/tech attacks).

Now run another test. Have a guild mate run a test on a scoundrel and a shadow coming out of stealth with the shadow doubling his blackout. Better yet? Make that damage that "hurts cloth" (which this class isn't). Burst as hard as you can. You tell me how one class has better burst and stupidly high mitigation and can come away spot clean after downing someone, and the other? Get's bursted down withing seconds after coming out of stealth.

This has a lot more to do with stupidly high mitigation vs none, and burst that includes a hell of a lot more then maul/shadowstrike.

Edited by biowareftw

I play a marauder a scoundrel and shadow and a sniper. The shadow is stupidly better then the scoundrel and better then the marauder who is still a beast and the sniper.

They could nerf the mitgation by HALF that a sin/shadow gets coming out of stealth and it would still be far superior to a scoundrel/op.

Let me show just how clueless you people are.

What deception/infiltration sin/shadow gets in addition to greater then op/scoundrel burst.

1. Better then medium armor thanks to armor/defensive mitigation talents (8 percent after a few crits), while the armor difference is only 2 percent. The defensive mitigation talents work against ALL damage. The "cloth armor" statement used to justify all the other mitigation a shadow/sin gets, is an absolute lie. This class is not cloth. This class is medium armor plus.

2. 25 percent more mitigation then a scoundrel/op coming out of stealth (this does not include mitigation talents) for 12 seconds (use blackout which is up EVERY restealth). With a vanish this goes to 24 seconds. This is NOT a "squishy" dps coming out of stealth. This is = to a cloak of pain marauder, on a stealth class that can burst your face off and stun lock you.

3. Force shroud makes you immune to ALL CC. It also make you immune to things like smash/forcescream and ALL tech damage, which means a scoundrel/op can hit you for NOTHING (besides quickshot which is pretty much a waste of energy). Dodge on the other hand can't block any spell dmg from a sin/shadow, and they are hard countered by the only other stealth class (which is beyond stupid, because it makes them useless).

4. 30 percent less dmg taken by all aoe's. So yeah...This class has 55 percent mitigation to smash damage coming out of stealth, and this doesn't include other defensive talents, OR being able to completely block a smash with shroud.

5. 2 minute cooldown. Increases your ranged and melee defenses by 50% for 12 seconds.

6. 2 minute cooldown INSTANT heal, as opposed to a garbage heal over time that does the same thing with scoundrel/op recupertate (too bad you are dead by the time the heal is halfway done).

7. An execute that hits like a freakin truck due to new talents.

8. Utility.

A) Instant cast taunts/aoe taunt > heal with a 2.5 second cast time that self kites you from a target, and prevents you from restealthing (when you are TIED to your opener).

B) 6 percent damage for ALL members of the warzone on a stunned or knocked down target.

Counters. None for the shadow.

Scoundrel/op. With a heal pot many classes can beat them (I destroy them on my marauder with a undying rage/heal pot). Completely hard countered by any spec shadow/sin, making them useless in a defense/ninja situation.

Out of stealth damage is close, but if a scoundrel/op is not getting their opener? They aren't killing anyone worth a damn. A shadow/sin on the other hand? Can wreck your world. Low slash is a 15 second cooldown and resets maul proc (low cost/hits harder).

Against snipers? The knockdown on a shadow/sin is BETTER then the op/scoundrel opener. Why? Because of ballistic dampeners. The opener takes off the shield and always procs an increased damage maul, and with ballistic down? It is going to hit like a truck. In addition to that if a sniper pops dodge? Breach (automatic 3 stack on restealth) and project hit like a TRUCK. So the sniper is still dead. Oh yeah. After the knockdown maul? You can pop immunity (to knockback/flash/stun), maul them again and finish them off before immunity ends.

Against sorc/sage. Not tied to opener, so you can force potency (also resets ooc/stealth) project there shield off and bypass being messed from the bubble, and then push their face in.

Against melee. Counter the !$@% out of scoundrel/ops. Counter the !@$% out of marauders. Smash hits for nothing. You can low slash any ravage (15 second cooldown you are always going to have it). You can go immune to force scream/smash. You can cleanse ann/watchman dots (if anyone played them).

Better at killing healers due to spell AND melee dmg. Better at killing tanks for the same reason. Execute also is HUGE against healers.

LOL at the idea that if they nerfed any of the above, that people would flock to scoundrels/ops. The only thing op/scoundrel has is a roll people want nerfed. You should be more worried about people flocking to this abomination of a class, that should have never been given a knee jerk buff at the end of beta that wasn't even tested.

My scoundrel is USELESS compared to my shadow. I am taking his banked rank and buying crap for my shadow with legacy gear.

Oh yeah and this is just a comparison of it's "squishy build". 12/31/3 is a whole nother problem, and will probably be an even bigger issue when people figure it out...

I don't doubt anything you posted however let me say this...Every time someone cries about Shadows in PvP we get nerfed more. Let me also say I don't think any class should be nerfed, but other classes should be 'balanced' and brought up to speed dps/heal/tank wise as other classes. This never happens. Instead, what happens is we get broken specs. I've played Balance for the better part of a year now until 2.0. I've played a Shadow since day one and never have I just wanted to put my Shadow on the back burner. I've played Infiltration and it never really appealed to me. Even now, that I realize how good of a Spec it is, I've just started queuing as a Tank instead since Balance needs more work.

That aside, in WZ's Shadows/Assassins are never my main concern. Actually, Operatives aren't either. Snipers however are. I can be in the middle of an all out brawl in VS or ACW when I hear the tale-tell sound that a Sniper has me in his sights and by then if I'm not dead I'm close to it. I'm not saying Snipers are OP either. But many classes have the ability to bring you down in health wtffast and they are one of em. They've reworked Smash spec a lot but that still hits like a tank.

So now, we've got multiple specs who can hit hard like a tank but we still focus on the damage from Shadows. Makes sense to me.

Infiltration spec shadow/assassins is a burst spec. Its supposed to hit hard, but not have good sustained damage (which it doesn't). You say you got hit hard by maul, but like another poster said, what about heat-seeking missile hitting up towards 10k?

the difference again is maul can be garrunteed to crit with reclessness, heatseekers will crit one in 4/5 if they dont then its more like 2k

the difference again is maul can be garrunteed to crit with reclessness, heatseekers will crit one in 4/5 if they dont then its more like 2k

No it can't

Maul is unaffected by recklessness. Completely.

Maul=Weapon damage

Recklessness ONLY affect force.

Recklessness will affect stuff like Discharge, Shock, Electrocute, Spike, ect.

It doesn't effect stuff like Maul, VS and all that.

Really, all you guys are doing is proving that the people who think the Assassin overpowered, have obviously never seriously played them.

Edited by Darthdaedric

I don't doubt anything you posted however let me say this...Every time someone cries about Shadows in PvP we get nerfed more. Let me also say I don't think any class should be nerfed, but other classes should be 'balanced' and brought up to speed dps/heal/tank wise as other classes. This never happens. Instead, what happens is we get broken specs. I've played Balance for the better part of a year now until 2.0. I've played a Shadow since day one and never have I just wanted to put my Shadow on the back burner. I've played Infiltration and it never really appealed to me. Even now, that I realize how good of a Spec it is, I've just started queuing as a Tank instead since Balance needs more work.

That aside, in WZ's Shadows/Assassins are never my main concern. Actually, Operatives aren't either. Snipers however are. I can be in the middle of an all out brawl in VS or ACW when I hear the tale-tell sound that a Sniper has me in his sights and by then if I'm not dead I'm close to it. I'm not saying Snipers are OP either. But many classes have the ability to bring you down in health wtffast and they are one of em. They've reworked Smash spec a lot but that still hits like a tank.

So now, we've got multiple specs who can hit hard like a tank but we still focus on the damage from Shadows. Makes sense to me.

Let me make this plain. You got hosed as balance/madness. All the good infiltration's/deception's know it. It was unwarranted. I have said as much multiple times.

I do not want to see infiltration or deception gutted. I play this class. I like this class. I also like my scoundrel, marauder and sometimes sniper. Yes the sniper is VERY powerful, but it just isn't my thing. I like chasing people around :).

I made a post as soon as I saw the patch notes that said...this is stupid, and then I played it and said...this is even stupider then I thought it would be. I want to prevent an OVERNERF of this class. I played a scoundrel and a sent at release (later changed to marauder when friends went empire). My scoundrel was like this, and then? BAM overnerfed, and nerfed to the ground. I don't want to see this happen again.

Infiltration was very good before 2.0. I did not have an opener like a scoundrel/op, but I had insanely good mitigation, and it countered sorcs harder then scoundrels/ops(wasn't tied to my opener) and marauders/sents harder (30 percent less dmg to smash/55 out of stealth for 12 seconds).

Snipers? They actually were a bigger problem for intiltration before 2.0. Not saying I didn't beat them, but I couldn't get them to execute range while immune to CC before 2.0. Add to that I couldn't fit in 30 percent more armor in the infiltration spec and that helps very nicely against snipers.

Now? I can knock them down, hit them with a procced maul (didn't have this before), and I always have a 60 percent crit to my project/breach, and the breach does not need to be built. It has 3 stacks every time I restealth.

This is the big problem. You can't get scoundrel/op opener burst, while immune to CC, with more mitigation afterwards, while also being a super hard counter to sorcs, since you can take off their bubble from stealth from 10 yards away and still kick their !@$.

At the same time I do NOT want to see balance/madness nerfed in anyway. I think everyone can agree that was nerfed without reason.

Scoundrel/op? Simply needs more mitigation and or recuperate returned as a heal only (screw the energy thing if they thought that was too hard for pve players). This class is very far behind a sin/shadow right now, because a sin/shadow can now open like them, is not tied to their opener, and they furthered the gap on mitigation even father with more armor, and the recuperate change.

There are many things they could do. Tie more damage to the technique, remove the maul/shadowstrike proc on the opener, buff balance/madness for pve.

Just because infiltration/dec wasn't great or isn't great for pve, doesn't mean it is lacking in any way for pvp. That would be like me saying. Well rage/focus was bad in pve so it should have got buffed pre 2.0. People would have called me insane for suggesting that, and they would have been right.

Edited by biowareftw

If Maul can be guaranteed to crit (well, more like 85% chance with current ratings) then Assassins will be way overpowered. Unfortunately for us, Maul is not a Force attack.

Depending on crit numbers and whether exploitive strike is up you've about 6-10% chance of critting both Mauls. If they both crit the other guy is totally dead unless he started out using a strong generic damage reduction CD (parry type CDs gets stopped by stuns and is also negated if Low Slash connects 50% of the time versus Saber Ward). In the other 90-94% of the time the Assassin is quite mortal.

I am see lots of Ranged dps hitting for 9 - 10k with their main abilities then so should we, we get good burst but we burn out quite quickly then its back to stealth i much prefer my marauder right up there in the middle of it Thats a proper dps class and Carnage is just unbelievable i mean its godly i love it.

Balance/Madness needs a complete reversion. The new version is a bloody disgrace of the old one.

We don’t believe we’ve fundamentally changed Balance Shadows as they are still very much drain skirmishers

They said, and I find it highly insulting. Balance had a very unique way of managing their resource. It was active and fun. You'd place debuffs on your targets, and when your dots ate the debuffs you'd regain force. That was unique and a very fun aspect of the spec, and it has now been replaced by a passive buff on any attack that randomly gives you 2 force back whenever it procs.

"Drain Skirmishers" ... Drain Skirmishers with no teeth. I'd GLADLY see Force in Balance nerfed back to its 3 target limit if it means we get Shadow Strike back. Heck, they need to revert bloody everything. Right now, Balance can probably do some amazing numbers on the scoreboard... but they won't be killing much at all. They even lost some utility, with the removal of instant force lift.

No, Bioware. You messed up good with the changes to balance. You butchered an unique and fun spec and made it generic and boring. Bloody well done.

Edited by Majspuffen

If Maul can be guaranteed to crit (well, more like 85% chance with current ratings) then Assassins will be way overpowered. Unfortunately for us, Maul is not a Force attack.

Depending on crit numbers and whether exploitive strike is up you've about 6-10% chance of critting both Mauls. If they both crit the other guy is totally dead unless he started out using a strong generic damage reduction CD (parry type CDs gets stopped by stuns and is also negated if Low Slash connects 50% of the time versus Saber Ward). In the other 90-94% of the time the Assassin is quite mortal.

Again. It can't

Melee Crti Chance=/=Force crit chance.

Recklessness ONLY affects FORCE CRIT.

If you are refering to the madness tree bonus when you force crit, then that's a GRAND TOTAL, IF you take all three points into it, of a 9% bonus to crit chance on melee.

This is not a guaranteed crit.

You people crying for nerfs do NOT understand the class. Stop spewing crap you don't understand.

There is NO auto-crit for Maul, period. There is, at best, if you crit with force, a +9 to melee crit for a few seconds (I think it's like 10 seconds) and even then, that's only if you take all three points in that skill in the Madness tree.

Again. It can't

Melee Crti Chance=/=Force crit chance.

Recklessness ONLY affects FORCE CRIT.

If you are refering to the madness tree bonus when you force crit, then that's a GRAND TOTAL, IF you take all three points into it, of a 9% bonus to crit chance on melee.

This is not a guaranteed crit.

You people crying for nerfs do NOT understand the class. Stop spewing crap you don't understand.

There is NO auto-crit for Maul, period. There is, at best, if you crit with force, a +9 to melee crit for a few seconds (I think it's like 10 seconds) and even then, that's only if you take all three points in that skill in the Madness tree.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/h7dJ1VU/impose-weakness

http://db.darthhater.com/abilities/143/duplicity/

No it isn't a crit, it is a 30 percent dmg higher maul that cost 75 percent less force, which can be used on the opener, or after a 15 second cooldown low slash.

Which means...

Open with knockdown. 100 percent chance proc a 30 percent higher dmg maul then normal, which hits hard even if it doesn't crit and a 60 percent crit (always off cooldown after stealth) project/breach. If the first crits and the project double procs? You are @!%$ed. If they don;'? You still did like 13-15 k dmg (got to love that 6 percent more dmg on spinning kick on the maul), with a low slash left, another maul, or a stun and two mauls, one of which can be another 30 percent increased damage hit. You kill the person either way. I personally like a low slash after the opener/maul or a stun, another maul, pop immunity (in case they trinket/cc), if i proc a increased dmg maul? Maul again, followed by breach/project. Of course I don't even have to bother if some of those are crits, because they are in execute range That person is simply dead, and you were immune to CC for the end, and now...you restealth and do it again, cus stealth resets it all, oh and now? you have 9 percent more melee crit running so the next person while they might not get knocked down? Is still !@$%@$ because low slash is up again, and you probably didn't need the stun on the first target lol.

Before 2.0? Force potency (60 percent crit) was like a 1 min 15 sec cooldown. You had to build a 3 stack for beach to hit hard, and you couldn't proc two increased dmg mauls within 15 seconds. Add to that? You didn't do 30 percent more damage to targets in execute range, and you didn't do 6 percent more to you stunned target (raid also gets this).

Oh yeah...I still usually led damage before these stupid buffs, and added mitigation (30 percent more armor).

But yeah bro, you keep saying this is balanced. Immune to CC scoundrel/op PLUS burst with WAY more mitigation.

Edited by biowareftw

Do me a favor, get the shadow to 50.

Knockdown which procs increased dmg Shadowstrike,

/snip

Is there any reason you're being such an ******e? You make some decent points but it all gets lost when I read it, I can't get the image of an old man foaming at the mouth out of my head.

Tone it down a notch and people might listen.

Is there any reason you're being such an ******e? You make some decent points but it all gets lost when I read it, I can't get the image of an old man foaming at the mouth out of my head.

Tone it down a notch and people might listen.

Yes me saying one of my classes is grossly OP compared to the other stealther means I am an @$@hole. You and others defending what is clearly OP (and everyone knows it), means you are gentlemen and scholars.

If this doesn't get addressed soon, know what you get? Nerfed to the ground like my scoundrel did at release. Don't say I didn't warn you though...

The funny thing?A This is going to be a much larger problem. There is already a VERY high population of sin/shadows. There were very few scoundrel/ops when they were nerfed.

In practice, it's not a free crit.

In the real world, that exploit weakness (which by the way, has NOT CHANGED AT ALL WITH 2.0, it still works the same as it did in 1.7) will make your mauls that don't crit do...mmm, let's say an average of 3.2k? There abouts. That's is not overpowered. This is a move that requires you to be behind their back to use too. It's very balanced as is.

Theres a reason warzones are full of them i will give you a hint i just got hit for a 8k maul.They are a grossly overpowered, stupid damage out of stealth for a stealther almost every utility in the game and no counter. This class is op if anyone can give me a reasonable reason why not and don't come up with they are supposed to be best 1 vs 1 i shouldn't die without a fighting chance where is the competitveness in that you don;t see any other mmo having a class that beats everything solo? Stupid damage hitting harder on a instant cast then a snipers channeled abilities or any set up skill is ridiculous and don't get me started on 7k dicharges a melee stealther with ranged attacks hitting hard as only ranged classes its not a jack of all trades its a master of all trades.

Please don't troll i know that is unlikely because every game im in theres 4-5/8 players are assassins/shadows and they won't want their op class nerfed.

Take matters into your own hands and shoot them in the face. What class are you that you don't hit just as hard and please don't say a BH/Van. All the AC hit hard so get off the forums and go practice PLAYING more than whining.