Why is there a level 55 training dummy on my level 33 character's ship?

I'll be that guy:

What purpose does the dummy serve pre-55? I posit that the dummies exist to maximize DPS potential for content in which DPS potential is necessary (HMs and OPs). Am I missing something?

There are paying customers who did not get the xpac that are at lvl 50 running lvl 50 HMs and OPs. So because they didn't get the xpac the training dummy is useless for them? DPS potential and maxing at lvl 50 is now obsolete for them? That makes no sense, especially when it was potentially purchased with real money because they could actually use it at the time.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be that guy:

What purpose does the dummy serve pre-55? I posit that the dummies exist to maximize DPS potential for content in which DPS potential is necessary (HMs and OPs). Am I missing something?

What's the purpose of having a lvl 55 dummy while your character is lvl 30 ?

It doesn't matter if YOU think it's useless before endgame. And the priority BS doesn't go far now when it's buyable for Cartel Coins/real money. I know a friend of mine bought his for some coins after seing mine and the fact that the level scaled, just so he could practise some stuff and shoot at it for lolz when he boards his ship. Whether you think that doesn't matter is irellevant, a purchase was placed on a product with a function, now that product doesn't function the same way and it should be fixed.

I really hope they change it. For Makeb I started playing my Sith Warrior again, who I hadn't played for about a year. I was out of practice playing that class, so I got the training dummy expecting it to scale to my level so I could relearn my rotation and abilities. Turns out it didn't, and was useless to me.

This is just another one of those mind blowingly stupid decisions BioWare's made with the game, like when colour crystals were alignment restricted. It's just baffling that they do stuff like this.

I just think that issues should be prioritized. Since the Dummy serves no purpose sub-55, I would rate this issue low on priority is all.

What about doing EC HM/NiM below 55? Some people even in decked in full hazmat might not be able to meet the dps requirements, therefore if a guild was planning on doing the harder ops while levelling they have no judge on whether everyone is pulling the same dps.

Also it lowers skill not having it before the last two ops in the game, with people only bothering to check their dps once they hit 55 how are they gonna get their dps on par for the hard modes?

I just think that issues should be prioritized. Since the Dummy serves no purpose sub-55, I would rate this issue low on priority is all.

There are two trainer, Warzone and Ops, the warzone trainer was very handy pre-55. Totally worthless now

I really disliked the change. I quite often bash the dummy if I wanna see animations or check out a new color crystal.

I hope it is a bug and that they will revert it.

What does the level of the dummy have to do with this? Can you not attack a dummy that's higher than you?

Unless you're trying to parse your DPS (I'm assuming it will resist everything if you try to attack at too low of a level) then I don't understand how its level would have any affect on its usefulness.

Edited by MillionsKNives

Many classes have attack that requires certain conditions on the enemy to use. Most hist on a level 55 dummy would be a miss/resist even for a level 50, making it impossible to get a feel for a rotation. For example you'd have a hard time getting a Railshot off against a level 55 dummy because your burns will not stick on it. A Marauder generates extra focus for having burns on his enemy, and again that wouldn't work for the same reason.

What does the level of the dummy have to do with this? Can you not attack a dummy that's higher than you?

Unless you're trying to parse your DPS (I'm assuming it will resist everything if you try to attack at too low of a level) then I don't understand how its level would have any affect on its usefulness.

Have you actually tried this in-game?

You will get very nearly everything you do Resisted or Dodged because of the level difference. Meaning, you can't actually test or experiment with anything since just about every spec relies on reacting to procs, triggering dots, etc. that require actually hitting the target in order to produce their effects.

Basically, the level 55 dummy is about as useful for pre-55 characters as staring at your monitor, waving your hands around frantically, and trying really hard to imagine your rotation going off. You can't actually learn timing or try new abilities or... really accomplish much of anything other than watching your weapon move around.

Maybe it's there to remind you that no one cares what your DPS might be below level 55?
And I'm here to remind you to read threads before you post in them, so you have a clue what you're talking about, why people are upset, and what advantages they believe were lost with a given change.

Because otherwise, your attempts to seem pithy and clever could backfire and make you seem more like an oblivious oaf who lumbers into threads and repeats obvious witty remarks which were already addressed 4 pages ago in a constructive manner.

Edited by SW_display_name

And I'm here to remind you to read threads before you post in them, so you have a clue what you're talking about, why people are upset, and what advantages they believe were lost with a given change.

Because otherwise, your attempts to seem pithy and clever could backfire and make you seem more like an oblivious oaf who lumbers into threads and repeats obvious witty remarks which were already addressed 4 pages ago in a constructive manner.

^^ This made me laugh.

Okay, what about Warzone Trainning dummies then ?

"No , you are not supposed to be able to respec freely on your ship and try new rotations and mechanics for pvp till 55"

Besides... im sad that ppl look at mmos today more like a job and strategy game, than the old fun and "be silly" style of playing mmos. Why cant we just have a dummy to test our skills freely or just beat him for whatever reason ?

Why everything has to have a defined serious, mathematical reason ?

Because of that mentality, sand box mmos died. And mmos like they are today will die soon and give their place to full rts, and shooter mmos.

You can hit it , but there are some problems like... the dummy evades (not as in 'missing' but as in reseting combat) most of the time, even before the cast of an ability has ended, so you cant even finish a skill cast.

And many many abilites that procs only when the enemy has a Dot, just doesnt work, because Dots dont apply if the target is too high. There are many other cases, like the explosive probe/sabo charge who doesnt stick on the dummy because of the level difference. Or like the telekinectic throw proc, which will never work because it has to deal damage to activate.

Yeah... not a critical issue, but if i knew it would be this way i wouldnt spend resources on it. Why is it so hard to scale the damm thing ?

If anyone from BioWare is actually seeing these Training Dummy frustration threads (there's been 3-4 different ones, at least, on the General forum since 2.0), could you humor us and make some official comment about whether this is a bug, or an intentional change?

It may seem silly to you, but I loved my training dummy while leveling up characters. Every time there's a new maintenance notification, my first thought is, "Maybe they'll fix my training dummy!"

If you don't intend to ever fix my training dummy, could you just let me know so I can stop hoping? :(