Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

My question is, why we can't get good looking stuff or changing apearence of our toons due to playing the game? Why we have to spend real money fo that and paying a sub? Edited by sergos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spent more than an hour to customize my character before I started playing. There are enough options to make it looking the way you want. and you know that you will be looking at this character for loooong time, so better spend some time on making the way you like the most.

It's stuff like that made me quit LoTRO, and will make me eventually leave this game and go to whatever else that comes out that doesn't do this.

At this point I'm really looking forward to trying Elder Scrolls Online, or the World of Darkness MMO.

TOTALLY AGREE. just watched the hobbit and was stoked for another round of LotRO. that is until i got a quest to get a horse and found out "sure i can have one if i pay real money for it now, or wait forever..."

as well as many other little annoying features like paying to travel to different cities etc..

its pitiful, i beta tested lotro, i bought a collector's ed box set, and probavbly spent no less than 300$ all round to play that game.

you get sick of paying for the same game over and over...

especially when you can play games like dragons dogma, dragon age, skyrim, kingdoms of amalur, the secret world, ON AND ON, without ever paying again!!!

especially guild wars 2!!! its almosty not even justifiable to play nickle and dime games anymore, when you can make a one time purchase in those games and get tons of play time out of the product.

i think MMO pricing and the whole F2P moniker will go the way of the dodo eventually, its really unnecessary.

sell me a product, for a set price. when you create more software for that product, a la an expansion, i will buy that too.

its become a bastardization of a time honored gaming tradition... expansions are no more, we buy tiny features and junk, and pay "rent" for a game we already purchased for full price...

if this keeps up, devs/publishers will shoot themselves in the foot...

Seriously, people are going to whine about this?

You do know that in most MMO's that have the feature you actually have to buy some form of "ticket/voucher" from their website for a one time re-customization, right?

Yes, WoW has a limited barbershop - and it's exactly that, it lets you change your hairstyle/color and your beard if I'm not mistaken - but for a racial change you also have to pay real money.

City of Heroes/Villains is one of the only ones that I know where you could do it entirely for in-game money, may it rest in peace... and may SW:ToR not follow it due to people that want everything for free.

Really disappointed with this news.

Stop promoting stuff if its only going to be available on cartel only. No one is impressed. If your saying great news we have it coming soon, we expect it ingame.

What should have happened is perhaps a few shops around the galaxy, Prominade on Nar Shaddaa etc where you could pay ingame cash to change your appearance. If they wanted to add cartel also then a way round would have been like what happened in SWG.

When you created a character you had quite a few options for your character but entertainers had a lot more they could change for you. In Tor they should add barber shops so you can get the exact same options on creating a character open to you BUT adding additional packs on the cartel store for newer features, styles, looks etc. That way everyones happy.

Of course they are going to ask money for aesthetic changes, Its way better than forcing F2P players with 200k credit cap and making artifact authorization worth 1 million credits.

Good going Bioware, ask more money for server transfers, race changes. MORE money.

But let F2P players get involved in the game. Don't ruin their gameplay and fix this model. Your strict F2P rulings scare the newcomers and make them think they can'T be part of anything without actually paying money. They should be able to cope with us preferred or subsribers with in game money.

All the best.

Edited by Hakkology

I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.

• We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.

As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric

People who think it is anathema for a company to make money because their product is a video game really don't deserve an explanation. They won't be happy until you are all on welfare and running the show from a damp, unheated basement while wearing layers and layers of hand-me-down sweaters with holes in just to keep warm.

But kudos for the effort :)

Though not entirely please with the use of the CM for customizations, I get it and can live with it. That said, if BW wants to make players even happier about customization, how about introducing craftable dyes into the game, as was done in Rift. There are loads of gatherable materials in the game that have no real value, and for which there isn't a market.

Since they introduced the color coordination of other pieces to the chest piece, it should be relatively easy to make all pieces have a primary and secondary color. The pieces would come with primary color "x" and secondary color "y", which can be changed via the use of player-crafted dyes.

This feature would permit players to create an even more unique look, create a market for lots of essentially useless materials and keep credits circulating in the game.

Just a thought.

And there is your first mistake!! Do not design anything around the fact that we get monthly grants!! What is the point of giving them to us if you are going to help us spend them as well!! Leave them be!! Either that, or quadruple the amount or more so that we have enough to buy the things you are planning for us.. It is bad enough I already have to use them for rep..

There is your second mistake!! Other games have already set the stage here!! The barber shop does not belong in the Cartel Market!! In fact the less you do with it the better!! The cartel market is for the F2P players to buy stuff and buy their unlocks.. I am a subscriber.. My stuff belongs in the game!!! Not the cash shop that requires more of my money!! See the difference there.. I am a subscriber.. My money has already been paid.. My stuff belongs in the game.. Not on the cash shop..

If you are going to make me pay for a hair cut, then in game credits is what we should be using.. If you are going to make me pay for rep, then in game credits is what we should be using.. I am a subscriber.. I shouldn't have to pay for anything else.. That is why I am a subscriber.. That is the entire point of being a subscriber.. So we don't have to pay extra..

If you want to ditch the subscriber model, then let me know and I will be on my way.. :(

I totally agree with you here, if they do this will not be here anymore.

People who think it is anathema for a company to make money because their product is a video game really don't deserve an explanation. They won't be happy until you are all on welfare and running the show from a damp, unheated basement while wearing layers and layers of hand-me-down sweaters with holes in just to keep warm.

But kudos for the effort :)

As I mentioned earlier, have a shop on Prominade on Nar Shaadaa where a player for ingame coins can change their appearance to any of the create a character options open to them. But on cartel store add new packs/appearences/items for your character ie new body types, new hairstyles, tattoo's etc. Then everyone is happy

Though not entirely please with the use of the CM for customizations, I get it and can live with it. That said, if BW wants to make players even happier about customization, how about introducing craftable dyes into the game, as was done in Rift. There are loads of gatherable materials in the game that have no real value, and for which there isn't a market.

Since they introduced the color coordination of other pieces to the chest piece, it should be relatively easy to make all pieces have a primary and secondary color. The pieces would come with primary color "x" and secondary color "y", which can be changed via the use of player-crafted dyes.

This feature would permit players to create an even more unique look, create a market for lots of essentially useless materials and keep credits circulating in the game.

Just a thought.

Yes, implement craftable dyes obtainable from cartel market, its a great source of income if you ask me.

Make people pay money for aesthetic purposes, not artifact authorization.

I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.

• We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.

As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric

As a sub from launch day I would like to provide a POV on this...

The current character creation (customisation) options in TOR are inarguably 'basic' in terms of current MMO's. There are almost unlimited opportunities for the designers to add to these current options via the CC market.

What would 'feel' right to me, what would seem fair/reasonable/decent...

All players - Sub's & F2P - have the option (other than race change) to use in-game credits or CC's for the currently available customisation options. Perhaps 'scaled' too: TSW does exactly this ... hair, skin tone, makeup, eyes = Cheap. Face models/body type = Expensive. If the sub's want some 'love' here, and you want to provide that, give them a meaningful discount on the in-game credit option for the existing customisations only.

Race changing and any new customisation options make CC only - Just like you're bringing out new emotes, except not via the CC shop, but via the customisation 'panel' (like legacy panel).

Wouldn't this be a great way to go for both the company and the player-base?

Finally, someone early-on in this thread made the comment that on this matter that the sub'ing RP'ers are yet again feeling 'second class' after the sub'ing PVP'ers & raiders. We are. This sort of thing - Adding a scar, changing hair for a social gathering, etc., is stuff they would like use a lot. Making the current 'old' customisations available to them as a credit-purchase, even if just the basic hair, makeup, scars, etc., will mean more to RP'ers than others. Without chat bubbles, sitable chairs, etc., a little consideration like this can only be considered a good BW move by the loyal RP contingent in TOR.

Edited by Phoenikzi
Spelling/grammar

And there is your first mistake!! Do not design anything around the fact that we get monthly grants!! What is the point of giving them to us if you are going to help us spend them as well!! Leave them be!! Either that, or quadruple the amount or more so that we have enough to buy the things you are planning for us.. It is bad enough I already have to use them for rep..

There is your second mistake!! Other games have already set the stage here!! The barber shop does not belong in the Cartel Market!! In fact the less you do with it the better!! The cartel market is for the F2P players to buy stuff and buy their unlocks.. I am a subscriber.. My stuff belongs in the game!!! Not the cash shop that requires more of my money!! See the difference there.. I am a subscriber.. My money has already been paid.. My stuff belongs in the game.. Not on the cash shop..

If you are going to make me pay for a hair cut, then in game credits is what we should be using.. If you are going to make me pay for rep, then in game credits is what we should be using.. I am a subscriber.. I shouldn't have to pay for anything else.. That is why I am a subscriber.. That is the entire point of being a subscriber.. So we don't have to pay extra..

If you want to ditch the subscriber model, then let me know and I will be on my way.. :(

This is spin Eric. The CM stipend was billed as a "loyalty reward" for subscribers. Now it is being used to fund things that should be part of the subscription instead of giving subscribers complete control over said stipend. You are now basically supporting a bait and switch. Instead of doing that if you are going to take our CM stipend back in the form of nickle and diming us for features, why not just simply do away with the stipend and give all the future features as part of the price of the subscription. :rolleyes:

Describes it best, really. :cool:

Edited by Lent_San

At this rate we'll be paying Cartel Coins to sit down on seats. I dread to think where this game will be in a year's time, I hope whoever EA brings in as their CEO has more respect for subscribers.

Respect soon to be available in the CM...... :rolleyes:

Edited by Lent_San

At this rate we'll be paying Cartel Coins to sit down on seats. I dread to think where this game will be in a year's time, I hope whoever EA brings in as their CEO has more respect for subscribers.

all what we need/want is to change the moron Jeff Hickman and get us someone who knows how to run an MMO game with the Star Wars IP, that man is a freaking tool and dumb. end of the line.

-eric

:w_rolls_eyes:

if that is they way the dev's think we might unsub all at once.

Obviously you guys seemed to come up with the best ideas on your cantina tours ....

What the heck are we paying for?

Doesnt matter how many CC you gimme a month as a loyalty reward if I have to spent them all on things that supposed to be part of the game.

You might ask yourself, how do we increase the numbers of subscriptions, the answer would be to make it worth the money you have to pay. Give us some stuff on top off the CC like that mount you try to sell to us for $18, this would make some people resub.

The current state of the game is:

Subscribers subsidize F2P, and for the cool stuff you got to pay extra.

The Cartel Market is starting to get on my "F"ing nerves..... I pay 15 bucks a month and then on top of that alot more for the CM because of all the fluff, but everytime a new system comes out I.E. rep and such we have to pay extra for it. Personally this is BS. IF one more in game system becomes a Cartel Market thing , then Bioware can shove this game up their #@@ and Iam going back to World of Warcraft where they dont nickel and dime there subscribers.... period.

LOTRO is about the only one that lets you change everything without charging... all the other limit you to hair at best.

Sorry but if you thought you would get to change everything for free then you are either clueless to other MMO or just crying for the sake of crying.

I said read carefully before you type, or go back to sleep.

The Cartel Market is starting to get on my "F"ing nerves..... I pay 15 bucks a month and then on top of that alot more for the CM because of all the fluff, but everytime a new system comes out I.E. rep and such we have to pay extra for it. Personally this is BS. IF one more in game system becomes a Cartel Market thing , then Bioware can shove this game up their #@@ and Iam going back to World of Warcraft where they dont nickel and dime there subscribers.... period.

This.

Dude. You hate the game. The devs hate you. Move on.

His post was on-topic, at least.