Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

As for the rewards, there's already too many things you can get through space content that imo shouldn't. It's a minigame, it was described as optional content and should limit the rewards you can playing it to stuffs usefull in that minigame only. Like if they added Pazaak, it shouldn't give rewards that are usefull outside pazaak, ie no character gear, no BH comm, ....

I disagree. I think opening up a variety of ways to acquire BH/Daily comms etc is a good thing, be it in space missions, pazaak or whatever. Giving people of all play styles different routes to achieve the same goal is a good thing. It only becomes a problem if (for example) there is some item from a minigame rep vendor which is BiS and forces people to grind that minigame to get it.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And claiming you can't track stuff is so disingenuous. For years now, LoTRO and other games have been able to retroactively award trophies for completion of content (and have). Either the game is programmed pathetically or you are not being honest with us here.

LotRO do it differently - they give rep reward directly for quests. When we've been given rep for such changes in the past, it's always been the direct rep, not a pile of rep items.

Still, I agree it would be nice to get the rewards retrospectively as we do in LotRO.

I disagree. I think opening up a variety of ways to acquire BH/Daily comms etc is a good thing, be it in space missions, pazaak or whatever. Giving people of all play styles different routes to achieve the same goal is a good thing. It only becomes a problem if (for example) there is some item from a minigame rep vendor which is BiS and forces people to grind that minigame to get it.

I agree that opening new ways to acquire comms is a good thing but as long as it's the same kind of gameplay. For me, adding new ways to make your character stronger while not playing your character is not a good way. With space content, pazaak, ... you are not playing your character, you are put in a completely different context with completely different rules. You are not learning to play better your character, you are playing a different game.

While it's not the case right now, if I push things further, it could mean getting best ops gear from playing pazaak, I know I'm pushing it too far but still... the gameplay is completely different like between space missions and operations and I don't see why playing one should reward me for the other content.

LotRO do it differently - they give rep reward directly for quests. When we've been given rep for such changes in the past, it's always been the direct rep, not a pile of rep items.

Still, I agree it would be nice to get the rewards retrospectively as we do in LotRO.

While I agree, the problem is BW choose to do rep grind based on repeatable missions and somehow I don't think they kept track which one you have done or how many times.

Edited by Turshek

Oh goody, more stuff we didn't ask for. Any bug fixes in this patch? Since you will be introducing new content, how many more bugs will be introduced with it? How many patches will be needed to fix those, or will they just get added to the Known Issues page like all the others?

As you can tell, I am still against any new content until you fix the old bugs that have been around for almost a year.

Edited by LWSugden

I agree that opening new ways to acquire comms is a good thing but as long as it's the same kind of gameplay. For me, adding new ways to make your character stronger while not playing your character is not a good way. With space content, pazaak, ... you are not playing your character, you are put in a completely different context with completely different rules. You are not learning to play better your character, you are playing a different game.

I don't think a few comms makes that much of a difference. I get more from doing FP and dailies than from space missions. So long as it's game time in SWtOR I think it's fine. The counter argument is that one might enjoy doing space missions, but due to the need for comms, there isn't enough time. This way, time invested in space missions counts for something in the wider game.

While it's not the case right now, if I push things further, it could mean getting best ops gear from playing pazaak, I know I'm pushing it too far but still... the gameplay is completely different like between space missions and operations and I don't see why playing one should reward me for the other content.

As I indicated, if doing some mini game provided exceptional rewards useable in the main game, that would be wrong. As it stands, it's a few cosmetic armour sets and a few comms. I suppose one could in theory grind BH in space missions to get campaign armour, but at about a dozen BH a week, we're talking some years real time!!

While I agree, the problem is BW choose to do rep grind based on repeatable missions and somehow I don't think they kept track which one you have done or how many times.

Yes, you're probably right.

I was hoping the Imperial/Republic titles would be unique and actually feature that they are Imperial/Republic, rather than a collective "Hyperspace Legend" and "Hero of Deep Space". I mean, you get them for the damn Voss and Gree. I was hoping to be able to wear a "Hero of the Empire" type title. But I guess it's not to be. :(

Compared to some games... *cough*LotRO*cough* ... this game is well supported and largely bug free.

In the 4 1/2 years I played LOTRO before TOR was released, I found it to be much much better supported and have far less bugs than in TOR. Developer interaction was better, in game support was better, content was released quicker and of a better quality, developer blogs were much more regular.

Only left because content dropped off at the end and Star Wars > Lord of the Rings!

Hi itsmymillertime,

To answer your questrion, Reputation trophies are a new type of item that we've added to many existing missions to make those missions more rewarding. Unfortunately, because this is a new system, trophies cannot be granted retroactively.

You need to find a work around for this. You are penalizing people with Level 50s that don't want to grind an alt or have a level 50 of each type on both factions. This is poor design. Period. Lazy. This is a penatly for people that were actually loyal to your game, remained subbed and leveled their characters. This is insulting!

It would be a simple matter to calculate the average number of runs through the system per level 50 for the average amout of time it would take said character to arrive at level 50. Then "grandfather" reward an average amout of rep and trophies.

You continue to slap your most loyal customers in the face with each design choice you make. Again, poor, lazy, and insulting! :mad:

Edited by Urael

In fairness a lot of what's wrong is the general attitude of the forum - this forum is incredibly negative for reasons strongly related to the CSRs. That said I agree mostly with the negative posts (in fact one of those 78 is probably mine) this is attaching a half baked mechanic onto the least popular content in the game as an exercise in buying time before RotHC.

@Aries and Chicken. My understanding is the rep grind for Voss will be the existing H4s there is no indication they are adding any new content to Voss - just trying to get people to run the incredibly unpopular existing Heroic content. Likewise I would assume based on prior performance the [WEEKLY] is complete all H4s on the planet just like the other [WEEKLY] content in the game.

People are moaning about the space content because it effectively requires the CM, it's tedious, it requires logging in every day and last but not least given they nerfed the rewards into the ground for reasons never adequately explained they are less profitable and far, far harder than running Impossible Sector.

I didnt count my own negative posts. It's too much. Some things they do seems like a shot on the own foot.

I don't think rep is that bad. What i think is, they seems to put their effort and mind on the wrong things. There's a lot of things to do before that. They should fix this game first. HOW HARD is fix bugged codex entries? Its there since day one. Is rep system that important that need that kind of advertising?

Although rep isnt that bad, it isn't need. So this company should focus on what this game really need. They seem lazy.

Edited by Benets

I don't think rep is that bad. What i think is, they seems to put their effort and mind on the wrong things. There's a lot of things to do before that. They should fix this game first. HOW HARD is fix bugged codex entries? Its there since day one. Is rep system that important that need that kind of advertising?

Although rep isnt that bad, it isn't need. So this company should focus on what this game really need. They seem lazy.

Rep isn't that bad in itself in fact I was fairly excited about it. Attaching to H4s, HM space missions and section X is bad and not giving retroactive credit for achieved goals is very bad.

How does this affect Legacy Level and Social Level? Does it?

What is being done with adding content to Legacy Level and Social Level?

I would like to see more being done with those systems, and it would be nice to see some more sandbox elements - like decorating my ship, or buying a whole new ship all together.

EDIT: I'm not sure any of what I just said is possible - I was just thinking out loud.

Edited by Gawlron

You need to find a work around for this. You are penalizing people with Level 50s that don't want to grind an alt or have a level 50 of each type on both factions. This is poor design. Period. Lazy. This is a penatly for people that were actually loyal to your game, remained subbed and leveled their characters. This is insulting!

It would be a simple matter to calculate the average number of runs through the system per level 50 for the average amout of time it would take said character to arrive at level 50. Then "grandfather" reward an average amout of rep and trophies.

You continue to slap your most loyal customers in the face with each design choice you make. Again, poor, lazy, and insulting! :mad:

Well, lets see

Gree rep: based on completely new event, so pretty impossible to give any reputation there, outside of running TfB, and that would be pretty tricky to calculate how many times someone was there

Section X rep: something that is being run every week at least once, so you will probably collect it quickly

HM Space rep: pretty sure this part of game hasn't seen much action since its announcement, as it is really hard without taking the CM shortcut

Voss Rep: I guess wait and see, as it just might bring some new quests. Also, who does heroics more than once while levelling? Sou you would get hmm, lets say, 1/20th of reputation? While on level 50, I am pretty sure you could roflstomp all Voss heroics by yourself.

Dear Developers,

More content is good, but I got to say this feels... for lack of a better word, lazy, from two aspects.

Firstly the system of using heroics and missions that appear to effectively have drop box returns to give an item that then gives the reputation points to your reputation stat... it feels like someone didn't want to code in something like how missions can give positive and negative light/darkside points or companion affections, so they cheaply made it an item you activate to give the points. Short cutting like this gives no confidence in your programers ability to code the game.

Secondly, I've accepted that Bioware 4th pillar premise for the game means that if you can't give it a story, there is no real place for it in the game. So Pazzak, free space piloting simulation, open world exploring without narritive direction, etc, even in Elder game, has no place. But unless there is a story behind this new grind, like cut scenes of gree/voss telling us what good little boys and girls we are to them, each time we get a rank, this is a tiny lame grinding mini-game. Please be consistant, give us story based content reputation, or the content we keep asking for. At least consider it.

As a side note, wouldn't an Outlaw's Den reputation with the Battlemaster be an ideal way to get people using it? A terminal to give a mission to kill five other players, a terminal to hand it in and ping, there is your reputation item.