Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

Maybe I missed it, but why would we care about this reputation grind? Appears that some gear can be purchased once certain levels? Kinda like the Disco ball with Social X status it appears.

If the items unlocked are awesome then YES! Sign me up. But if they are anything like the commendation gear we can get with commendations or social ranking... well then it sounds half baked to me. :D

I truely hope its not like the way cool LEGACY idea and halfway implemented. Make it MEAN SOMETHING!!! Right now it doesn't sound like it's going to get that many people caring if something tangible is not attached to the reward structure. I point back to my "Legacy" comment on how it was just halfway deployed. Someone else called out the CE Vendor, VIP Vendor and others. Nothing added to those lately, so why would anyone want Reputation if it's the same idea? :D

BW - How about you finish what you started with LEGACY first? That would be more impressive than a whole new grind tree to follow. That was a great idea that just went flat cold and fizzled away w/o any of the "Cool" stuff it was supposed to make possible. If the rewards are worth it, then I'm all for grinding. Right now most those provided to date that are in similar nature are lacking attention and/or value. Is this going to be different?

Indeed. There is no reason for my characters let alone me as a player to care about the factions associated with the reputations. As others have said, it's a bait and switch approach to get us to play FAILED content areas of the game.

Agreed. Seems things are done by half measures. Legacy is still not complete (I am looking at you Legacy levels 26 and above). This has been done before. And this rep grind has no purpose other than to grind. To those that say that there should be no content gated behind the rep grind ... why rep grind then?

If the gear is better on the vendors than crafters can craft ... another slap at crafters. At least in WoW .. your rep grinds lead to the purchase of pattern/recipes for crafters to craft gear to sell. Let's hope the rep vendors have things for crafters. :cool:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why not give us a blog about the revamped ilum pvp? this reputation system is nothing but carrot-on-a-stick filler for grind donkeys. And they aren't even using fresh carrots. This whole proposed system is garbage. If having reputation with a given faction meant something beyond a title and "some kind of gear" it would be way more impactful. Give each faction a collective reputation. Allow us to actually sway Voss and Gree sentiment, and then give us meaningful rewards for doing so.

Not to mention that the only new content that even seems to be included in this reputation system is whatever crazy crap they come up with for the gree/ilum pve event. This is grasping at straws, hoping people are dumb enough to think the new wrapper isn't hiding the same ****.

The whole blog just made this update feel really weak. Quick, give us some good news, because this certainly doesn't make me want to keep playing.

It's not even "carrot on a stick". It's all stick and no carrot at least for me. Just as there is nothing worth purchasing in the CS. More sticks and distractions. :rolleyes:

I am just happy updates are getting pushed out this much. I am still enjoying the game on a regular basis right now. My only problem is still the space combat, that needs to be reworked entirely. Otherwise I am enjoying the overall game. Hopefully this update turns out well. :)

Well here we go again folks.

I'm very excited about what I've read in regards to the reputation system. Solo players who do not want to enter the world of grouped flashpoints to grind for top tier gear are given an alternative by grinding for reputation rewards. Entering the world of flashpoints new 50s are often given little patience for not knowing every fight, being geared, hitting the spacebar etc.

Solo players who want to pursue a path for end game rewards without subjecting themselves to having to grind with a group through flashpoints have such an option now through the reputation system hopefully.

Finding a way to turn previous planetary content solo players can challenge and grind through is the same to me as grinding flashpoints. A grind is a grind. Let solo players who do not want to grind in groups grind content that can in fact be done solo with a companion such as previous content.

Bioware could also perhaps make a much needed legacy or reputation perk for allowing us to summon more than one companion for flashpoints so solo players can form their own full group.

1.7 looks quit promising Bioware. I'm looking forward to it. :cool:

Why is EVERYTHING to do with Reputation concentrated solely on Heroic or Group content? I totally appreciate this game is centered around Grouping but not everyone play's the Game in this manner! Is this something that may be ammended or altered in the future so that Lone Wolf(Single player, lol) content will contribute to reputation? Hope so! Cracking idea though! :D Edited by DarthHawkes
mi-spell

Gotta love how old character usually get screwed. It isn't even worth playing a 50 if returning on an account older than the current commendation cap. Better to roll a new one or face grinding in full recruit gear. Now hundreds of dailies or countless creds to catch up to a new toon who has gone through rep grind already leveling.

Well here we go again folks.

I'm very excited about what I've read in regards to the reputation system. Solo players who do not want to enter the world of grouped flashpoints to grind for top tier gear are given an alternative by grinding for reputation rewards. Entering the world of flashpoints new 50s are often given little patience for not knowing every fight, being geared, hitting the spacebar etc.

Solo players who want to pursue a path for end game rewards without subjecting themselves to having to grind with a group through flashpoints have such an option now through the reputation system hopefully.

Finding a way to turn previous planetary content solo players can challenge and grind through is the same to me as grinding flashpoints. A grind is a grind. Let solo players who do not want to grind in groups grind content that can in fact be done solo with a companion such as previous content.

Bioware could also perhaps make a much needed legacy or reputation perk for allowing us to summon more than one companion for flashpoints so solo players can form their own full group.

1.7 looks quit promising Bioware. I'm looking forward to it. :cool:

Fantastic point's well made my friend! I too am not a massive fan of Group grinding and love the idea of being able to summon more more than 1 Companion! Wicked idea! :D

Is it just me that thinks this is a carbon copy of the LotRO rep system:

* Multiple factions

* Gain rep from repeatable missions

* Rep vendors

* Gain rep from exchanging tokens

* Rep titles

The only difference I can see is that it's account (or at least Legacy) wide.

This isn't a complaint btw - nothing wrong with the LotRO system, except you have to grind rep for each toon, this is much better.

Gotta love how old character usually get screwed. It isn't even worth playing a 50 if returning on an account older than the current commendation cap. Better to roll a new one or face grinding in full recruit gear. Now hundreds of dailies or countless creds to catch up to a new toon who has gone through rep grind already leveling.

Yeah most defineately. What's the point of previous Level 50's not contributing in thing's they've done previously,I'm pretty sure adding these contribution's would'nt be THAT hard for the guy's at S.WT.O.R. :rolleyes:

Entering the world of flashpoints new 50s are often given little patience for not knowing every fight, being geared, hitting the spacebar etc.

That's because they join HM groups, for content they have never even seen. That's like buying a brand new console game and immediately bumping up the settings to the hardest level. New players should do regular flashpoints, so they know how they work, before even thinking about hard modes. As for hitting spacebar, pretty sure you can't tell who isn't hitting it? The dialogue wheel pops up when the NPC who is speaking finishes for all players, only then can you tell who isn't pressing.

I quite often don't hit spacebar, if only to amuse myself with the confusion it causes :p

Indeed. But, many of us that have played other MMORPGs have been down this road before and recognise it for what it is. Also, seems part in parcel with the way things have been done with this game from the begining. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" ... riiiiiiight. It's amazing how this game has made so many mistakes that were made in previous games. Don't they study their competition, past and present? I mean aren't some of the developers of this game from other games that have made these mistakes? SWTOR could have been a great game. It will go into history as a game with so much potential that was never realized. :cool:

If I were to contain SWTORs failings in a sentance it would probably be:

"Over promise, under deliever, panic and then copy WoW."

There is so much they could have done with SWTOR to build on the great stuff they had (story, voice acting, companions, reasonable PvP balance [ignoring Resolve]), but they really seem unwilling to innovate at all, they aren't even copying the good features from games like SWG or WAR (both of which SWTOR developers come form). :(

I'd never have said this in Beta or in another other MMORPG, but in all honesty allowing you to summon 3 companions in SWTOR to allow you to "solo" 4 Heroics and FP would be a good thing I think.

You'd likely have to overgear them a bit anyway so it wouldn't really affect much else other than opening up areas of the game to solo play.

So bioware what the hell u thinking with this feature that u forgot all about pvpers and crafters?

PvPers are "supposedly" getting a brand new Ilum in 1.7. But that's a separate part of the update and will get it's own press release treatment.

As a PvPer though, I'm actually okay with a Reputation grind being exclusively PvE-centric as long as the rep items you can acquire aren't better than what we can gain through the PvP grind.

And in all fairness to BW, we don't know what the Rep Vendors are offering yet. Since this new Rep System is a near carbon copy of the LOTRO system, it is highly likely that the Rep Vendors will offer exclusive recipes for Crafters as they do in LOTRO. So it's a bit premature to say crafters are immediately SOL. Reputation grinding may actually turn out to be a great way for Crafters to make some coin.

Also, you won't be getting any retroactive rep, because you didn't "miss" anything from the leveling content you already did.

While it is true that you wouldn't miss out on Retroactive Rep for leveling, there are still plenty of us that have already done the Voss Heroics and Section X (countless times) on multiple toons. Not to mention the Space Missions, which I don't personally play myself, where players likely spent CC to buy the upgrades to finish them.

So you are in fact wrong. There are many players that will miss out on quite a bit if there is no retroactive rep.

Why is EVERYTHING to do with Reputation concentrated solely on Heroic or Group content?

This is a good question. While I'm all for encouraging more group play in an MMO, Rep grinding isn't exactly the best way to do it. lol

My main question for this is:

Are there going to be any other perks, besides titles; to make us as players want to spend timing farming reputation?

Will we get access to exclusive vendors with gear and other items? Or something along those lines or do all we get is the title and a pat on the back?

The quest works fine.

No it doesnt it is bugged on Tomb Of Freedom Nadd, so happy it works on your server however!

Please check the post confirming its bugged on ToFN on the customer service forum!

Remember just because it works on one server doesnt mean it works on all servers.

Achievement Unlocked: Making New Content Without Making New Content.

Mostly this. There is no new content and you will only get new titles and a reputation system that is no reputation system at all.

NPC's and the world around you will not react differently when gaining rep? Of course, this will mean a slight new reason to do some heroics again, but EA seriously this selling as new content? No way!

We have been sold 2 daily quest area's that havent added anything, only the HK quest had a bit new content (voiced).

I dont have any high hopes for Mekab, while i still mindlessly pre-ordered it without having the slightest info on the content:(

Edited by quantez

Are there going to be any other perks, besides titles; to make us as players want to spend timing farming reputation?

Will we get access to exclusive vendors with gear and other items? Or something along those lines or do all we get is the title and a pat on the back?

This.

I am not going to dump time into this rep grind crap unless it ends up being worth it in some way other than the cosmetic.

I'd never have said this in Beta or in another other MMORPG, but in all honesty allowing you to summon 3 companions in SWTOR to allow you to "solo" 4 Heroics and FP would be a good thing I think.

You'd likely have to overgear them a bit anyway so it wouldn't really affect much else other than opening up areas of the game to solo play.

This could be a bit fun. Star Trek Online gives you a full "away team" for ground missions, which is four of your NPC companions. They can be any one of the four classes in the game, set up with abilities you choose, and geared any way you please. It makes for a lot of variety in setups, and lets you pull completely different teams for different kinds of missions.

The only problem might be controlling where you can do it. Because a lot of the heroics are outdoors and not phased, if you were allowed to pull a full team of four to run them, then it's not clear how to prevent you from doing that anywhere else in the open planets. In STO, the entire ground game is balanced around having the 4-man away team with you at all times, so that's just how it works. Here, all of the game has been balanced for player + 1 companion, so it's not easy to start allowing that, unless you do it in some sort of weird solo-only phases.

Different updates cater to different crowds. Sometimes a particular update won't bring anything new for you and it sucks. The reputation content we're getting here is aimed at the more casual/solo crowd who've been clamoring for more to do for ages. They're getting a personal grind that isn't about gear or valor. Good for them. The only thing they've gotten in ages was section X and that didn't even appeal to a lot of them.

I'd love to introduce those complaining that this is a recycled feature from other MMOs to the folks who keep complaining that features commonly found in other MMOs are missing from SWTOR. In a perfect world, the devs would be able to deliver all the "standard" features and innovative content at once at a faster pace than we can consume it. In reality, I expect we'll continue to see drips of both over time.

As long as new content is fully fleshed out, I'm not going to complain. I'll give it a try and if I determine it's not for me, I'll just stick to the other parts of the game that I enjoy until more content is inevitably delivered. I'm really only ever unsatisfied with content when a new feature is full of bugs and/or not fully implemented.

Thanks for the update BW and keep the features rolling.

This is the most level headed post in the entire thread. thank you.

Re-read the blog. It clearly mentions that there is a special reputation vendor to obtain rewards from. So yes there is more then titles.

Well.. 22 pages of pretty much the same conversation.

Roughly 95% say this is not worth it and want 1 of 3 items instead:

1) New content

2) Bugs/Patches to existing

3) Legacy completed

The 5% seems to think this is new content and worth looking into before making any judgement calls.

ME: I want to see Legacy completed before some other grind is released. IF by some magical means BW actually has something worthwhile in story for rewards then great. (History has shown that is usually not the case - those QQ just read the forums and you will find that list - not going to repeat)

Example:

• Schematics to Master craftable 27 items would be a REAL Reward!
  • Something that enable STAT Boosts (Datacron unlock) would be a REAL Reward!
  • Legacy gear (Lightsaber) that I can move my hilts around would be REAL Reward.
  • REP points to purchase RARE Drops from Cartel Packs is a REAL Reward!

NOT New ORANGE gear with crap mods/enh is NOT a real reward for those doing Elder content already (61 / 63 geared). If that is the target audience then STOP now. :D

Edited by dscount

I'm online right now. Typing this letter. At the moment though ORIGINs sign in tells me I have to go online to access my account. I clicked on, "Go online" Nothing happens. I clicked to play Star Wars The Old Republic and it gave me this message, "The Login service is currently unavailable. Please visit our forum for the latest updates on the status for this service ".

What a coincidence that when I sign on to ORIGINs it says I am offline. And what a coincidence the game won't let me get into it either. I wonder what or who is blocking me from signing into either Origin or Star Wars The Old Republic, and without so much as a hint why they both aren't available on these Updates on the status of the service.

And there is no update as to why the service is not available.

ARE THE SERVICES under a total lock down?

Hmm? Maybe I was too LOUD?

I wrote the following yesterday and it sure seems to be a BIG coincidence. I did not even get a message telling me if I was being banned or not. Did the Republic WIN?

I sure hope this patch isn't going to be like the last one after it updates to the latest file saying, "An Error has occurred please click on Repair." (5 files). Followed by a scan, which when it is over a replay says it found so many damaged files and it takes several hours of my paid subscribers account waiting for it to scan them. :mad:

Only to find out after it does that it restarts the update downloading installs the file 101 and says again, "An error has occurred please do a repair. (5 Files found) :mad:

I have had this same installation problem happen 3 times since I began with the same number of (5 files) while I've been a paying subscriber of Star Wars - The Old Republic. The first time was just before I would have earned the Founders status symbol and would have been given it for being such a good guy and paying for the game time.

Which I think you should send me to the MMO eMail account so I get it there when I enter the game again, "as promised". :mad:

There is nothing that suggests this is aimed at solo players, or even doable by solo players, other than the hard mode space missions. H4s on Voss might be soloable if you're stupidly overgeared, but I doubt it. The Section X weekly also requires that you complete the heroics there, which are not solable. The hard mode space missions are by definition solable, but only if you fork out the CC or credits for the Grade 7 ship parts, and even then they are not exactly fun for many people. Since you have to buy the gear up front just in order to do them, there really isn't a reason to do them, other than (now) grinding stupid rep points.

So this really isn't a very solo or "casual" friendly scheme at all, since you can't get rep points from doing the sorts of things that solo or casual players are likely to do or able to do easily. If anything it's the opposite; another grind that will be maxed out only by those who are already maxing out on everything every week, and who have nothing left to do to fill up their endless hours of play time.

Edited by Heezdedjim

There is nothing that suggests this is aimed at solo players, or even doable by solo players, other than the hard mode space missions. H4s on Voss might be soloable if you're stupidly overgeared, but I doubt it. The Section X weekly also requires that you complete the heroics there, which are not solable. The hard mode space missions are by definition solable, but only if you fork out the CC or credits for the Grade 7 ship parts, and even then they are not exactly fun for many people. Since you have to buy the gear up front just in order to do them, there really isn't a reason to do them, other than (now) grinding stupid rep points.

So this really isn't a very solo or "casual" friendly scheme at all, since you can't get rep points from doing the sorts of things that solo or casual players are likely to do or able to do easily.

Indeed.

One thing you have to say favorably about the WoW rep grinds. They are soloable. Do you get "top end rewards"? No, nor should you but, the items obtained from the rep vendors are usually "stepping stones" to get you to top tier gear via Heroics and finally to Raids.

The other thing about WoW rep grinds is that if you are a solo player (and an altoholic) they give you more than enough content (especially the new MoP rep grinds) to hold you over from "update to update" with in an expansion let alone "expansion to expansion".

What is presented for rep grinds for SWTOR has none of this and will be more "content" that is not playable by many players (especially given that the areas they want us to grind in are many of the least favorable parts of the game currently). Hokum! :cool:

Edited by Urael