Bubble stun and logic...

UGLYMRJ

I know this is an old topic and after some adjustment I really don't find the bubbles as annoying any more... but I just don't get it.

Just to put things into perspective... I'd like to know.

What were you thinking Bioware?

Nothing has been complained about more in PvP than CC and resolve. I don't think anyone can argue that those are and have always been the biggest complaints from the players of this game.

Bioware's response:

Let's give one of the classes the ability to put an AOE stun on every player in the game and put it on a really short cool down... and let's give it as little resolve as possible.

I keep getting infraction points for trolling the forums. I'd like to give Bioware infraction points for trolling my game.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is an old topic and after some adjustment I really don't find the bubbles as annoying any more... but I just don't get it.

Nothing has been complained about more in PvP than CC and resolve. I don't think anyone can argue that those are and have always been the biggest complaints from the players of this game.

Bioware's response:

Let's give one of the classes the ability to put an AOE stun on every player in the game and put it on a really short cool down... and let's give it as little resolve as possible.

I keep getting infraction points for trolling the forums. I'd like to give Bioware infraction points for trolling my game.

I understand the thought process completely.

a: Lightning's the weakest/least played spec with the worst k/d ratio of probably any AC

b: hmm why's that?

a: channels and cast times are interruptible, maybe?

b: alright, temporary interrupt immunity it is! Now what unique-ish defenses does it have?

a: its got trash armor, force speed, a root, and a bubble mez...the latter doesn't help because it needs to dot the enemy to do damage

b: well, what if it were a stun?

a: hmm, yeah, it wouldn't break if it were a stun

b: alright, let's do that

And that's where the thinking and discussion ended.

I suggest that it be nerfed in the same update that they nerf LoLDerpSmash....oh and operatives.

This ^^^^. And really again another thread on this? This is like the 7th one why can't you just post to the others? Is this new information? A unique opinion? Anything at all that requires us to have 7 threads on this topic?

Bioware's response:

As a sorc- I'm pissed off too. They took our concerns on the class, ignored them all- gave us a band aid fix that does make pvp as a sorc fun for the first time since before 1.2.... but, it's something we knew was going to get a nerf in the end- and likely without any sort of meaningful buff in return.

I am definitely enjoying playing my sorc now with the bubble stuns, and I feel like I have something useful to do on offense and defense- the stuns really can help with a door cap, and my chain lightning hits for 900 damage sure as heck aren't going to kill anyone... but- I'd much rather have better casting mobility, survivability and damage than spend half my time refreshing bubbles.

Still- BW hasn't given us a buff we've asked for (we did get that 30 sec heal, but at the cost of losing stun range and our KB is now conal rather than radial) in over 8 months- I don't expect them to give us anything now, and I'd rather be playing with bubbles than feel like I might as well just jump on my PT or mara since they are actually useful.

Meh i do agree with you OP, but... i have recently dusted off my lvl 50 pvp sorc and I do rather think its funny to spam toss out stun bubbles on any in range player i can. When i dont play my sorc I am as fustrated as you are OP i hate being stunned all the time. I pretty much spam the bubble now just to bog the other team down even though the dps is less than... well stellar. I hate to go there but that bubble is pretty much the only thing that keeps the glow sticks from having overly excessive free kills.... well to a point any way.

Here's my issue with it, and I know I can't speak for *everybody*, but I think I'm firm ground here:

why the heck is bubble stun applicable to EVERYBODY in the ops?

case in point: I"m a commando healer. I have this little shield called "trauma probe." I can place it on any one, and they'll get a little health back when they take dmg. it's my "unique" version of sage bubble. ok. makes sense, right? well there's a bonus built into this thing: when I apply trama probe TO MY MYSELF, I recoup life by using my auto attack (hammer shot). so I can passively heal myself with trauma probe *before* taking dmg. neat trick, right? guess what: that only applies to trauma probes I place on myself. so it' sucks for commando healers that they only trauma probe one person, but this proves that BW is very clearly aware and capable of rigging this sort of ability so that it only applies its special "trick" to the caster.

now let's look at the bubble stun: great idea. give stationary sorcs some escapability. they're very squishy. even my failboat scrapper can kill them. forget about the resolve issue. the problem isn't that they can apply their bubble to anyone in the raid. hey, so could the commando with trauma probe. the problem is the "special" ability of the stun works for anybody on whom the bubble is placed. what the hey? congrats. you just turned a dps sorc or hybrid sorc into a more effective "healer" than a full combat medic. <mild sarcasm> c'mmon, man. who on earth thought it was a good idea for this abil to apply to EVERYONE in the ops?

a lot o things dont make sense currently in this game.

i dont agree with the mechanics of bubble stun, i feel it should just be a mezz and only on the sorc himself...

but if u take it away from sorcs in their current state then you might as well take away the ability to que for warzones for sorcs because we'd be worthless... merc and op healers are far superior and almost every dps class would be favored over dps sorcs..

how logical is the pt pyro ease of rotation?

how logical is lolsmash 7k crits and vicious throws of 5k+

how logical is the best dmg outputting class mara's also having the best defensive cooldowns?

whats the logic in the squishiest class in the game have no defensive cooldowns and poor dmg output?

there are bigger issues than bubble stun

What is crazy to me is how all 8 classes are actually very well balanced for certain logical roles. Also the only problem is when groups of them are together and this has been a problem in every mmo I have played and so I can't fault them too much for this.

Also, huttball was an extremely good idea and the best instanced pvp zone I have ever played in imo.

Since this is the case I would think the pvp devs were very competent. However, the pvp updates just get worse and worse lol. I guess they fired all of the good ones.

a lot o things dont make sense currently in this game.

i dont agree with the mechanics of bubble stun, i feel it should just be a mezz and only on the sorc himself...

but if u take it away from sorcs in their current state then you might as well take away the ability to que for warzones for sorcs because we'd be worthless... merc and op healers are far superior and almost every dps class would be favored over dps sorcs..

how logical is the best dmg outputting class mara's also having the best defensive cooldowns?

whats the logic in the squishiest class in the game have no defensive cooldowns and poor dmg output?

there are bigger issues than bubble stun

I agree dps sorcs needs something in exchange, however even pre bubble stun healing sorcs were slightly better than merc healers so your overplaying the healing side of things a bit. Even without the stun the bubble is probably the best instant heal in the game.

So, Bubble Stun was meant to give Healer/Hybrid Sorcs more survivability by having it stun whoever is close to the Sorc for a small amount of Resolve.

SO WHY DOES IT WORK WITH EVERYONE ELSE THAT THE SORC USES IT ON?

So I guess because Sorcs are soooo bad at healing or dpsing, you help everyone else's survivability on that Sorcs team by now anyone within 30 meters of the Sorc being eligible to have more survivability.

I think a Logic Train just ran whoever thought of this or "miscoded" Bubble stun.

If you really need Sorcs to be better as healers in pvp, give them a skill that they have to use before a cast that uses force to make their skills uninterruptable.

why the heck is bubble stun applicable to EVERYBODY in the ops?

That's exactly my point... what were they thinking when tons and tons of people complained about there being too much CC and they turned around and said...

"Too much CC huh?... Well clearly we need to give the entire f'ing team another stun"

behavior of a classes in 1vs 1 fights is different than that in wz. there r some objectives u have to follow at each wz map to get a win and it is not pure deathmatch. since that all speculations concerning some classes r speculation about cuurent wz maps (objectives) - bw can create map where any stealth class will b op, while lolsmash will b useless etc. we need more wz maps, less bugs and the option to choose map to q. some ppl like hutball, some like cw, some hate hypergate.. let ppl ability to choose a map is better than face r.qs any single match.

There's too much here to comment on, but I noticed a lot of people repeating "the bubble is getting nerfed. BW already said so." So I figured that could use some clarification.

We're currently undergoing a lot of class rebalance for a future major patch, so it's an understatement to say that things aren't locked down yet. However, the problem with Backlash (Lightning's incapacitate on Static Barrier) is mostly that it can be applied to any target, making an entire team of allies stun-bubbled. Since this is such great utility for the Lightning Sorcerer, we don't want to change the effect of Backlash, but we are considering making the Backlash effect only apply to the original caster - so you only get a Backlash when you put your Static Barrier on yourself.

That's just the current idea. We don't have any plans on making Static Barrier or Backlash worse than it currently is for the Sorcerer that uses it.

We're aware that even this change lowers the amount of group support Lightning offers, so that's something we have to figure out before we can pull the trigger on Backlash.

I wish I could tell you guys more, but there isn't enough locked down yet. Rest assured, it's not as simple as "too good - nerf. Next."

I'm posting this here because I just saw it today for the first time. I think it was posted on a severe delay so many people missed it.

It sounds like they will take away the group support function of the stun bubble, but the bolded part makes it sound like they have no plans to change the click-off stun-on-demand and the improper resolve. IMO that is the opposite of what they should be doing.

I'm posting this here because I just saw it today for the first time. I think it was posted on a severe delay so many people missed it.

It sounds like they will take away the group support function of the stun bubble, but the bolded part makes it sound like they have no plans to change the click-off stun-on-demand and the improper resolve. IMO that is the opposite of what they should be doing.

Nice... missed this one myself.

Just good to see a response on it. That's been my argument for quite some time. Caster gets stun only... bubbles for everyone but only caster gets a stun bubble. I'm fine with the ability to pop it myself and the resolve wouldn't feel nearly as annoying if it wasn't the entire team running around with a 2 second stun bubble. Hoping pop on caster only is the change that passes when all is said and done.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Very glad you posted this as I had not seen it either. And it is nice that they are aware that if it is changed so that it does not stun on others that it will decrease i.e. nerf the sorcerer class. And I am not getting into another argument about this bubble thing ultimately the only reason to argue is to change opinions and no one on this forum is changing.