So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a matter of whether it's cheap or expensive. It's a matter that subs shouldn't have to pay at all. If you show up at a place that has a sign that says free food and you get there and find that meals are $3 do you just pay and be happy about it. It's cheap right? No. You're pissed because it's supposed to be free. Content like this should be free to subs. You want to charge extra for other people, that's fine, but not for subs. I'm considering cancelling my subscription over crap like this. This game does not treat subs well at all.

I'm pretty certain I'm swimming in Cartel Coins that can't be used for this so-called expansion that has no class story. Even DDO & LOTRO will let that payment route operate (albeit in a really awkward manner).

No, this is just a cash grab, and a pathetically transparent one at that. It's not the price - it's the precedent & principle.

Way back when this game first came out, it was about a subs-based AAA MMO that had fully voiced content and the fourth pillar of story & the logic was that the subs would pay for the ongoing story. Now we've gone F2P and subscribers still get shafted.

Guess that was just another statement by EA with no actual thought behind it.

Edited by Grammarye

My own recollection is stating they will probably not charge us for it. I can't recall explicitely stating it'd be free. Beyond that, I'm hardly an EA or BioWare employee. So I wouldn't consider myself a credible source, lol.

Fact remains, I don't recall BioWare explicitely stating it'd be free, even prior to the might charge subscribers for it. Better yet, I believe the might charge for it was the first mentioning of the financial aspect of Makeb. Prior to that I can't recall them mentioning free or paid in any form.

If it wasn't going to be free why would they say (then) that they were now thinking about charging for it?

To be thinking about changing their mind and charging for it, it had to be free in the first place. :)

Of course by the time they said that the decision was clearly taken and done and dusted, but again it was supposed to be free, till they changed their mind and charged for it.

Worse you have to pay cash for it, there is no cashshop way of getting it.

Bioware EA have the right to change their minds. :)

Subscribers hae the right to be honked off about it. :)

The bigger problem is the that Bioware EA now engenders no real trust, everything the are doing seem to be aimed at nickle and diming subscribers, be it P2W or ridiculously expensive event Cashshop Items. :mad:

I agree with you on that for sure, I also disliked the high cost of the Life Day items pack and I also expected to be able to purchase the Makeb expansion with my cartel coins....that really is frustrating and does seem a little greedy of BW :(

That doesnt alter the fact they DID inform us that we may have to pay for Makeb...

Driz

When I read there was an expansion coming, I immediately panicked until I saw the price. $10.00 is NOTHING compared to other games' expansions, like World of Warcrack (yes, I hate that game that much). So I agree...everyone, please relax and just enjoy.

That's probably because Makeb is nothing like a WoW expansion. :csw_yoda:

First off I sub, personally i think it is very much worth it. I noticed the new expansion must be purchased and although it is only 10 bucks i believe it will pretty much be counterproductive with the introduction of F2P. F2Pers will see it as just another advantage of P2Pers and making it Pay to win.

Do you think expansions that cost money is the right move for this game or just another poor management scheme?

an expansion is not P2W

it's not a matter of whether it's cheap or expensive. It's a matter that subs shouldn't have to pay at all. If you show up at a place that has a sign that says free food and you get there and find that meals are $3 do you just pay and be happy about it. It's cheap right? No. You're pissed because it's supposed to be free. Content like this should be free to subs. You want to charge extra for other people, that's fine, but not for subs. I'm considering cancelling my subscription over crap like this. This game does not treat subs well at all.

in all the mmo you have to pay for expansions

$10, 5 new levels, new abilities, new planet, new storyline.

I mean SERIOUSLY, *** are you complaining.

Mass Effect 3's DLC costs $10 and has like 2 hours of content. Map packs for online games cost like $10 and have 2 or 3 new maps. This probably has at least 10-15 hours and new levels/skills and you still complain about paying $10. Yes those games don't have a subscription but this is a *MINISCULE* amount.

remember this is not an update, this is an expansion. that is why you have to pay 10 dolars (and that is a gift)

are you for real, a gift?

an 'expansion' that costs less than a monthly sub?

There wont even be class quests, It will be like probably 20-30 common quests and thats it.

And after you hit 55 then what? Theres no new ops or fps or wzs, nothing. You go back to afk on fleet, realizing you paid 10 bucks only to play another day of dailies.

Edited by tzagheru

With what is being added, I cannot see this as an Expansion, it appears to be a mere Content Update, And i REFUSE to pay for it since BW stated and i QUOTE : "Subscribers would never have to pay for Content Updates if we implemented a F2P Model"

You get a single planet. and 5 more levels. Considering how SMALL planets are compared to e.g Continents in WoW, (BC you got outlands, WOTLK, you got Northrend, cata (the smallest) you got that middle place, MoP you got Pandaria) all combined i'd say Vanila WoW's two original contients are larger than all the 'planets' in SWTOR.

Not to mention the ammount of CONTENT in those expansions. New items, 10 levels for the first 2, 5 for the last, New Abilities, New Raids/Dungeons PVP, etc.

Now if you look at this 'CONTENT UPDATE' you will see you get a planet, 5 levels, maybe 4-5 items and a couple of more abilities for your class and thats about it.

TL:DR It isnt an expansion at all.

What mmo have you played that put in a level increase that wasn't charged for? And how do you know that makeb is the same size as the other planets in game? Never seen a cap increase for free and we have no knowledge of the size of makeb. So maybe judgement should be held until we find out more.

And WoW had many content updates like Makeb for FREE in between.

They never called content updates expansions nor charged for those rofl

Oh behave, now you are flat out lying....

Show me one expansion that Wow released, which included new zone / increase in level cap / potentially a new playable race and PvP update for free?

I know you dislike SWTOR but you just look desperate when you flat out lie to validate your hate :)

Driz

I agree with you on that for sure, I also disliked the high cost of the Life Day items pack and I also expected to be able to purchase the Makeb expansion with my cartel coins....that really is frustrating and does seem a little greedy of BW :(

That doesnt alter the fact they DID inform us that we may have to pay for Makeb...

Driz

Well all they actually said up until today was they "might" and they were "thinking about charging for it", today is the first day they've said it.

But yes again Bioware EA is definately nickle and diming subscribers, not so much by charging for it, but by charging cash for it, were as most (if not all) other Freemium MMORPGs that have a subscriber option allow you to purchase such adventure pack and even genuine full blown expansions with Cashshop coins.

Bioware EA is just going for the cash, in this, in P2W space ship parts and in hideously overpriced "limited time" event items.

This is worst than the most apocalyiptic visions of "F2P/Cashshop" and we are only two months into "F2P/Cashshop". It is appalling. :mad:

That's really, really low, Bioware/EA. You shouldn't charge subscribers for the expansion since you promised we wouldn't get charged for it!

So, will we get Cathar as playable race as part of the expansion or will they charge us extra for that? Also, the pre-order rewards are lackluster! Other MMOs give a lot cooler pre-order rewards like armors and such for their expansions!

What about chat bubbles? Will those be included in the expansion?

Edited by Glzmo

I guess I should have seen this coming when they decided that $13.50 was a good price point for giving Preferred players account-level access to Section X. It's a daily quest area!

Well, I'm no longer cautiously optimistic about them relaxing F2P restrictions when they get more stuff to offer subscribers, such as more content updates.

Because let's be honest. Let's say they didn't tell you whether this was an expansion or a content update, and didn't increase the level cap (they already have a scaling system in place, they use it for 10-49 PvP).

Would you call it an expansion if they weren't giving you that word to spit back?

are you for real, [/b]a gift?

an 'expansion' that costs less than a monthly sub?

There wont even be class quests, It will be like probably 20-30 regular quests and thats it.

And after you hit 55 then what? Theres no new ops or fps or wzs, nothing. You go back to afk on fleet, realizing you paid 10 bucks only to play another day of dailies.

It is not verified that there will be no new ops for FPs -- if you have link for this confirmation, please post. In my opinion, new ops have to be released with this as the five new levels will obsolete the current ops.

$10.00 is NOTHING compared to other games' expansions, like World of Warcrack (yes, I hate that game that much).

That's because Blizzard puts effort into their expansions.

What this new 'expansion' Bioware is giving is pretty much a content update for WoW which doesn't cost an extra dime.

Blizzard can justify a cost on expansions because they (with the exception of Cataclysm) offer a massive amount of new content.

This 'expansion' is 1/4th of the price of a WoW expansion, yet this 'expansion' doesn't even offer 1/10th of the content given in a WoW expansion.