So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

Probably........... and this is just a guess mind you............... because Bioware EA orginally said Makeb would be free for subscribers.

They said about 4 months ago that they were "thinking about charging for it now", and I said then that it was a done deal and it would be charged for, many said "wait and see, they won't charge for it" as many have said so many wrong things about SWTOR now. :(

Well I said they would charge for It, I said they would charge $9.99US for it, They are. This and many other things were all listed in the leaked survey that everyone said was just made up.:eek:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=522969

I still don't have any issue with them charging for it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about new end-game content, with increased level cap they'll hopefully release at least one new operation so keep "hardcore" gamers something to chew on for a bit.

If they don`t rescale actual end game to lvl 55 then this will be a distaster. Luckily they already hinted at it being the case.

I support the game with 15 dollars a month plus my pre-order long before it was released, and my loyalty through the long stretch of no content updates. Furthermore, it doesnt matter what the price is, the MMO market has competition and i compare this product to it's competitors, whom currently are providing superior content updates for their subscribers at no additional charge, with expansions that include far more content than a single zone and a 5 level cap raise. This is content-update level stuff, but they want to nickle and dime us instead of giving us content updates like should be given to paying subscribers.

Again i point to trion, i'm not a rift fan but their developer is great, they have already published more than triple the content through updates than SWTOR has done in its lifetime, all major SWTOR content so-far after this will be additional-expense content. Hell, even STO is outpacing SWTOR now with a whole planet, guild updates, and more quests at no additional charge to its customers. Its bad when STO is releasing more content updates without charging than SWTOR...

It was a year before SWG released its first expansion and almost three years before WoW did, and they both charged for those and you're complaining that TOR is releasing their first one in just over a year? Do you just not have enough to do that you would complain about something like this?

BW is stupidly greeeeeeeeeeeeedy, and its this stupid greed that gonna kill them together with the game. Hopefully. Why the hell do you need to charge subs, what are you thinking ?? Many will leave from revolt I am sure. This will just make things worse for everyone. And you wont get more money - WHY? Because you will lose subs... aaargh this is like talking to buffalos.

GREED IS BAD! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

You didn't have to pay for the expansion in Galaxies or WoW? Even as a subsrciber? Oh, wait... Yes you did. That's right.

and again (as you seem to be ignoreing it)

They SAID MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE PUBLICATIONS that subscribers will NEVER be charged above their monthly subscription rate for content updates

MAKEB (everything we know about it and coming with it) IS A CONTENT UPDATE!

I cant replate a big mac and fries and call it Prime Rib.

It is what it is and nothing more

Legally EA is bound to the public statements that they made first about subscribers NEVER having to pay for content updates (its the whole reason they calling it a Expansion, they exploiting legal double talk)

Maybe you like double talk and all that

me, I prefer honesty and holding companies to their word

Again, im not against paying for a expansion and actually would love to get a Rift like expansion here. And I would gleefully pay for it as I want

-multiple new worlds.

-I want expanded planet sizes on existing planets

- I want Pazzaak

-I want Swoop Racing

-I want 10 new levels (but ill settle for 5 if I have to)

-I want expanded class storylines

-I want multiple new races

-I want new classes

-I want a PVP redo

-I want Space expanded (well not really but I know others that do want it)

-I want updated crafting

-I want more flashpoints and ops (and Id love nightmare flashpoints and hardmode heroics where all heroics get bumped to level 55 with sm/hm/nim settings)

And thats JUST A START FOR A REAL EXPANSION

THAT, I would pay for

EA promised free content updates for subscribers and whats announced so far coming with Makeb is

wait for it

here it comes

you ready?

A HEAVY LOAD CONTENT UPDATE

Dont get why some of you dont seem to grasp this FACT

Sorry but what tyou are saying is:

BW stated initially Makeb would be a free expansion.

BW subsequently came out and said we have not decided, you might have to pay for it.

The only thing they are beholden to is the very last / latest official update on any game topic. Yes, they said it was free, then they changed their minds and informed us of that fact.

Just because you choose to ignore the LATEST statement in favour of the EARLIESt statement does not mean you have been lied too or anything like that....it simpy means you are basing your expectations, incorrectly, on out dated information.

Driz

One planet for 9.99$, when ALL the planets in the game are sold at 15$ as bundle? And 5 more levels?

Sorry.. that`s cheap semantics, not an expansion.

Oh, btw.. there is NOT a class story.. it`s imperial and republic story.. which is some general crap about things nobody cares about.

You didn't have to pay for the expansion in Galaxies or WoW? Even as a subsrciber? Oh, wait... Yes you did. That's right.

They weren't Freemium, and they'd never said there was an adventure pack that would be free then changed their minds, plus in Freemium MMORPGs subscribers can almost always buy adventure packs with their saved up subscription cashshop coins, they don't have to pay a cash price for it.

SWTOR seems to be trying to get its subscribers twice, this is something other Freemium MMORPGs don't usually do. :mad:

http://www.swtor.com/buy

Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies. Is all we ever hear from you bioware. 5 lvl cap increase and 1 planet is your definition of paid expansion bioware? Really?

Oh cry me a river. This looks more like a DLC than an expansion. Tbh that's fine, DLC's are hardly unheard of these days, and getting a new planet + probably a lot of other content for level 50's but also 5 more levels for such a low price seems good enough to me. "But it's supposed to be free!" It's an MMO, there's already tons of stuff "for free" with the F2P and it's probably the first MMO I've seen that utilizes DLC-like content like this.

First off I sub, personally i think it is very much worth it. I noticed the new expansion must be purchased and although it is only 10 bucks i believe it will pretty much be counterproductive with the introduction of F2P. F2Pers will see it as just another advantage of P2Pers and making it Pay to win.

Do you think expansions that cost money is the right move for this game or just another poor management scheme?

Edited by xNYROx

What a mislead, no 4 content updates you get in other MMOs for free DONT count as an expansion.

You can go to any other MMO, get updates like Makeb for FREE and the pay for REAL expansion.

You have to pay for all expansions and content updates in GW2...either via retail purchase or forced cash shop unlocks ala GW2 recent Halloween live event...just sayin ;)

Driz

guys i realy hate people fighting.

i know this expansion is small BUT it s the cheapest i have ever seen,

http://www.swtor.com/rothc (this is the link about it)

remember this is not an update, this is an expansion. that is why you have to pay 10 dolars (and that is a gift)

i don't wan to get in troubles with any of you

but please guys be reasonable about this price and the work of Bioware on it.

we don't know everything about this. maybe it would be awesome, maybe not.

if you want to cancel your sub, i recommend you first try it and then if you hate it or don't like it just leave.

give it a chance

cordially Lucas.

Edited by LUCASCASADEIS

Sorry but what tyou are saying is:

BW stated initially Makeb would be a free expansion.

BW subsequently came out and said we have not decided, you might have to pay for it.

The only thing they are beholden to is the very last / latest official update on any game topic. Yes, they said it was free, then they changed their minds and informed us of that fact.

Just because you choose to ignore the LATEST statement in favour of the EARLIESt statement does not mean you have been lied too or anything like that....it simpy means you are basing your expectations, incorrectly, on out dated information.

Driz

Bioware EA have the right to change their minds. :)

Subscribers hae the right to be honked off about it. :)

The bigger problem is the that Bioware EA now engenders no real trust, everything the are doing seem to be aimed at nickle and diming subscribers, be it P2W or ridiculously expensive event Cashshop Items. :mad:

Thats because they never called regular content updates expansions.

Bioware EA have the right to change their minds. :)

Subscribers hae the right to be honked off about it. :)

The bigger problem is the that Bioware EA now engenders no real trust, everything the are doing seem to be aimed at nickle and diming subscribers, be it P2W or ridiculously expensive event Cashshop Items. :mad:

It is exactly as i have forseen, Free trial to 50 and Cartel shop werent aimed at new players or bringing old ones who left back, its aimed for current subscribers and milking them all the way.

Oh cry me a river. This looks more like a DLC than an expansion. Tbh that's fine, DLC's are hardly unheard of these days, and getting a new planet + probably a lot of other content for level 50's but also 5 more levels for such a low price seems good enough to me. "But it's supposed to be free!" It's an MMO, there's already tons of stuff "for free" with the F2P and it's probably the first MMO I've seen that utilizes DLC-like content like this.

Becuase in other MMOs you get these kind of DLCs (term is CONTENT UPDATES) for FREE.

Renaming content update to "expansion" and slapping price tag on it on top of sub - ROFL

Edited by GrandMike

It's a reasonable price for an advanture pack, yes, although it was supposed to be "free", which is cheaper still.

It is not an expansion in the tradition context (Shadows of Kunark, SoV etc) however.

Most Freemium games allow subscribers to buy such "adventure packs" and even genuine expansions with their collected cashshop coins rather than being nickle and dimed into having to pay an extra cash price.

To be honest there's a fair bit to reasonably complain and have concerns about. :csw_yoda:

9.99 IS less than the monthly subscription rate of 14.99 for those that use the game cards. It is also less than 12.99 for those that pay 6 months at a time on the sub. plan. So your argument is null and void about their saying we'd "that subscribers will NEVER be charged above their monthly subscription rate for content updates"

Also, people are plopping down a LOT more money to buy cartel coins just for the chance at that one item they want. I don't think they'll complain much about 9.99 for an expansion, even if it does seem small.

"Digital expansion?" Are you serious?

They're getting really short-sighted with their money-grubbing. It's kind of sad to see.

I have yet to hear of an MMO charging subscribers for content updates (that's kind of the whole point of subscription in freemium games), so unless Makeb is much, much bigger than any previous planet, this is just absurd. They've already confirmed that there's no substantive class story content included in it, which I guess cuts down on their costs a lot but they're going to have serious trouble selling anyone on this thing.

Yeah, I kind of hoped that the guy/guys who came up with "just 1 quickbar for F2P" and "F2P can't spacebar through dialogue" were just an overeager minority. Unfortunately it seems that that's the philosophy running the show and the only thing that can get them to not totally bleed everyone dry is a massive backlash.

I suspect there will be a massive backlash.

This is also going to drive off freepers/preferred, who now need to drop either $20 or $25 to do so much as spit at endgame. 55 is going to be a ghost town...

Also, people are plopping down a LOT more money to buy cartel coins just for the chance at that one item they want. I don't think they'll complain much about 9.99 for an expansion, even if it does seem small.

How many such people do you think there are? There's an immense profit in a small number of crazily dedicated people who drop disproportionate amounts of money on gambling items. I don't like it, but it's a thing.

But if you're relying on the whole subscriber base being like them? You're in for a painful disappointment.

Edited by Guancyto

Because paying for an Expansion is so unheard of! I mean it's not like certain other MMOs do that...

....oh wait...

Lol I wouldn't even classify this as a proper expansion. 1 measly planet with (if it follows suit with the rest of the planets) 3-5 class quests and a few more for planetary arc, pfft should have been more like 3-6 planets IMO and cost between 30-45$ to me this is insulting.

I already canceled my sub.

Its not about the amount, its about sending a message.

Its a F2P game with subscription plan.

So yes I was a sub and bought some CC to indulge myself in cartel packs. But when they ask of me to buy an expansion, with everything else, in a F2P game. Thats just taking it too far.

What if I decide to desub at one point ?

Will I then buy additional unlocks via CC for expansion I already bought ? Sure its the same now, but it was the only way to save the game. But it seems game is getting on healthy feet again. And then they decided to mess it up once again.

As I said, its not the amount that is the problem, its the principle of the thing.

and again (as you seem to be ignoreing it)

They SAID MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE PUBLICATIONS that subscribers will NEVER be charged above their monthly subscription rate for content updates

MAKEB (everything we know about it and coming with it) IS A CONTENT UPDATE!

I cant replate a big mac and fries and call it Prime Rib.

It is what it is and nothing more

Legally EA is bound to the public statements that they made first about subscribers NEVER having to pay for content updates (its the whole reason they calling it a Expansion, they exploiting legal double talk)

Maybe you like double talk and all that

me, I prefer honesty and holding companies to their word

Again, im not against paying for a expansion and actually would love to get a Rift like expansion here. And I would gleefully pay for it as I want

-multiple new worlds.

-I want expanded planet sizes on existing planets

- I want Pazzaak

-I want Swoop Racing

-I want 10 new levels (but ill settle for 5 if I have to)

-I want expanded class storylines

-I want multiple new races

-I want new classes

-I want a PVP redo

-I want Space expanded (well not really but I know others that do want it)

-I want updated crafting

-I want more flashpoints and ops (and Id love nightmare flashpoints and hardmode heroics where all heroics get bumped to level 55 with sm/hm/nim settings)

And thats JUST A START FOR A REAL EXPANSION

THAT, I would pay for

EA promised free content updates for subscribers and whats announced so far coming with Makeb is

wait for it

here it comes

you ready?

A HEAVY LOAD CONTENT UPDATE

Dont get why some of you dont seem to grasp this FACT

Yeah... It says right on the front page, it's an expansion... Level increase is a pretty clear indication of an expansion, just because you don't like it and you demand something doesn't mean it has to be done. From what I have read many people, along with myself are happy to pay the $10 for the EXPANSION.

That was when they suddenly came out with that they "might" charge subscribers for it, prior to that it was to be free for subscribers.

I recall you saying that they would not charge subscribers for it, but you like others were wrong again. :(

My own recollection is stating they will probably not charge us for it. I can't recall explicitely stating it'd be free. Beyond that, I'm hardly an EA or BioWare employee. So I wouldn't consider myself a credible source, lol.

Fact remains, I don't recall BioWare explicitely stating it'd be free, even prior to the might charge subscribers for it. Better yet, I believe the might charge for it was the first mentioning of the financial aspect of Makeb. Prior to that I can't recall them mentioning free or paid in any form.

guys i realy hate people fighting.

i know this expansion is small BUT it s the cheapest i have ever seen,

http://www.swtor.com/rothc (this is the link about it)

remember this is not an update, this is an expansion. that is why you have to pay 10 dolars (and that is a gift)

i don't wan to get in troubles with any of you

but please guys be reasonable about this price and the work of Bioware on it.

we don't know everything about this. maybe it would be awesome, maybe not.

if you want to cancel your sub, i recommend you first try it and then if you hate it or don't like it just leave.

give it a chance

cordially Lucas.

With what is being added, I cannot see this as an Expansion, it appears to be a mere Content Update, And i REFUSE to pay for it since BW stated and i QUOTE : "Subscribers would never have to pay for Content Updates if we implemented a F2P Model"

You get a single planet. and 5 more levels. Considering how SMALL planets are compared to e.g Continents in WoW, (BC you got outlands, WOTLK, you got Northrend, cata (the smallest) you got that middle place, MoP you got Pandaria) all combined i'd say Vanila WoW's two original contients are larger than all the 'planets' in SWTOR.

Not to mention the ammount of CONTENT in those expansions. New items, 10 levels for the first 2, 5 for the last, New Abilities, New Raids/Dungeons PVP, etc.

Now if you look at this 'CONTENT UPDATE' you will see you get a planet, 5 levels, maybe 4-5 items and a couple of more abilities for your class and thats about it.

TL:DR It isnt an expansion at all.