So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it wasn't going to be free why would they say (then) that they were now thinking about charging for it?

To be thinking about changing their mind and charging for it, it had to be free in the first place. :)

Of course by the time they said that the decision was clearly taken and done and dusted, but again it was supposed to be free, till they changed their mind and charged for it.

Worse you have to pay cash for it, there is no cashshop way of getting it.

Why did practically all MMO's which were clearly going to have a subscription over the past years, never up front state "yes" but always come with the bogus line of it's being looked into? Because if you said yes, it's definite. If you remain vague, players have nothing to go by IF you'd suddenly decide to do things otherwise.

To be thinking about changing their mind and charging for it, feels more to be your interpretation of their words than anything else.

It supposed to be free, is still something, after having asked for that quote 3 or 4 times by now, none has provided. Unless supposed in this case is your personal interpretation of the norm, and as such belief that it ought to be free.

There being no cartel market option of getting it thus far, is no direct indication that it won't become an option in the future. I think that's primarily done as having it in the cartel shop would require sufficient Makeb details already to be incorporated into the game servers to activate that unlock. Whereas with the current pre-order, you may just be added to a list. Recently a chapter 4 unlock item was already data mined, which suggests it may just be a matter of time. In that sense, if you start saving now, you may have the required cartel coins by the time it hits live.

Level increase=fluff

Its 1 ZONE FFS

In your opinion.

For the rest of the MMORPG world, an increase in maximum character level is one of the things that is usually absolutely typical of an expansion.

Love the way you personally have the opinion its just fluff, whereas in raeality an increase in level cap drives things like a new tier in raid / PvP progression or an entire new zone of PvE / solo content or increases carfting skills allowing for new schems etc etc.....

But yeah, you just go ahead and decide a level increase counts as "fluff" like a new vanity pet or whatever...just because that suits your blinkered and slanted view of the game...

level cap increase = fluff....just lol....

Driz

So, will we get Cathar as playable race as part of the expansion or will they charge us extra for that? Also, the pre-order rewards are lackluster! Other MMOs give a lot cooler pre-order rewards like armors and such for their expansions!

Really because I never got cool armor only some stupid vanity pet from all the WoW xpacks I have [aid for over the years. SWG gave out some cool stuff with those xpacks like the Skiff mount and bunker house.

in all the mmo you have to pay for expansions

In most if not all Freemium MMORPGs you can buy adventure packs like this (and even geunine proper expansions) with your Cashshop coins (this allows subscribers to save up and not be nickle and dimed for extra cash).

What mmo have you played that put in a level increase that wasn't charged for? And how do you know that makeb is the same size as the other planets in game? Never seen a cap increase for free and we have no knowledge of the size of makeb. So maybe judgement should be held until we find out more.

What you are saying is that you would pay X ammount of money, regardless of Content being added so long as it gave you x ammount of levels? In that case BW can increase the cap by 1 and charge you $5 for every content update, and that you would pay for it.

I think the 5 levels is a SUBSITUTE for not getting class quests, and getting almost no items, Rather than seeing it as a mere level increase. They would be better off putting "Buy an extra level on the Cartel Store for 5000 Cartel coins!" Since there is a Cap increase and only daily's to get you there.

Also based of what you said. about other MMO's that charge for level increase they are not only adding a couple of quests and 5 levels, you are getting a lot of content added as well and honestly, Its the Content that you pay for. i could give zero banana's if WoW was still capped at level 50. the ammount of content they added per expansion is enough for my money and the extra 'levels' were just a bonus.

ROFL, LOTRO added 2 of those for FREE before their FIRST expansion.

Just to mention one game.

What's your point? You are bouncing around and in some cases flat out lying just so you can complain about something. It's an expansion. It offers typical expansion things; new planet, and a level increase much like WoW and Galaxies both did. LOTRO was never as near as big as those where.

Good post--I hadn't noticed this was available yet, and I've just pre-ordered!

(QQing? On my forums? Never! ;D Look, the game's F2P, we're going to have to pay for new things. Sure they "promised" no pay for Makeb...back when the game was under a different economic model and they figured on having over a million subscribers. They've promised "no promise on that" many times since, and as we all like to forget, more recent news trumps 8 month old projected statements. It's 50% off to subscribers. Buy and be happy :) )

Why did practically all MMO's which were clearly going to have a subscription over the past years, never up front state "yes" but always come with the bogus line of it's being looked into? Because if you said yes, it's definite. If you remain vague, players have nothing to go by IF you'd suddenly decide to do things otherwise.

To be thinking about changing their mind and charging for it, feels more to be your interpretation of their words than anything else.

It supposed to be free, is still something, after having asked for that quote 3 or 4 times by now, none has provided. Unless supposed in this case is your personal interpretation of the norm, and as such belief that it ought to be free.

There being no cartel market option of getting it thus far, is no direct indication that it won't become an option in the future. I think that's primarily done as having it in the cartel shop would require sufficient Makeb details already to be incorporated into the game servers to activate that unlock. Whereas with the current pre-order, you may just be added to a list. Recently a chapter 4 unlock item was already data mined, which suggests it may just be a matter of time. In that sense, if you start saving now, you may have the required cartel coins by the time it hits live.

Because theirs were never going to be free for subscibers as they said it was going to be.

It was supposed to be free, they changed their minds and said they were thinking about charging for it, and lo and behold they are charging for it. It is not difficult to comprehend, even though you said before when they were "thinking" about charging for it that they wouldn't end up charging for it.

If they are trying to get a cash grab now only to allow Cashshop purchase later that is even worse (and potentially illegal behaviour in the EU), again most Freemium MMORPGs allow you to buy from day 1 or even pre-order on the Cashshop. :cool:

Really it is very simple. If you do not like what BW/EA is doing with this expansion DON'T BUY IT. Speaking with your wallet will send them a far better message that all the crying on the forums will. If you are ok with the expansion then by all means buy it and enjoy.

I for one will not be buying it now. I have no characters anywhere near the level to need it yet. When I get there if I am still enjoying the game enough to justify the money I will buy it then.

I like those people who are so fast to forget dev stated subscribers won't get charged for makeb. But i guess i'm in the minority of people for whom word still means something. Oh well i guess world is heading in direction where what comes out of persons mouth is worth as much as what comes out of their backside and majority people are actually fine with it.....

Is this Dev statement pre-August 2012? Than it's not worth a damn thing.. Because really, the team changed dramatically afterwards.

The only statement of it probably being for free came with the initial Makeb announcement. Afterwards, multiple announcements were that they were still contemplating it's pricing. Especially repeated multiple times when F2P was announced and later released in different interviews.

But yeah, making different statements later in time where they go back on an earlier statement and say it is not yet sure if they will charge or not is not enough.. apparently.

This really is "Ghostcrawler promised me a pony" level of complaints.

Edited by Devlonir

Really it is very simple. If you do not like what BW/EA is doing with this expansion DON'T BUY IT. Speaking with your wallet will send them a far better message that all the crying on the forums will. If you are ok with the expansion then by all means buy it and enjoy.

I for one will not be buying it now. I have no characters anywhere near the level to need it yet. When I get there if I am still enjoying the game enough to justify the money I will buy it then.

Very well said.

Sorry- but I have never seen an mmo call a level cap increase a mere 'content update'- that's an expansion.

If there's five levels worth of content on this new planet, plus entirely new endgame operations and FPs- then that's an expansion.

A level cap increase means- you need a new set of endgame- what, do you think they're going to release this without at least one more operation and 2-4 more flashpoints? They've also said they intend to do something new with Ilum around that time- which could mean a world pvp revamp. Frankly- we don't even know everything coming with Makeb.

You're whining about something that has a teaser of information for it so far- if you're so uncertain about buying it, wait til there's more information.

Maybe it was going to be free but then a bunch of people quit and they decided to charge for it? idk....makes sense to me.

However, people will think if that's the case then why punish your loyal subs that stayed in for the whole time? Maybe give them extra stuff with the expansion for staying in for a % of time since launch.

How so? With Galaxies when they released rage of the wookies you only got one planet, when they released thr trials of obi-wan you only got one planet... Seems pretty similar to me.

Ah I thought you meant proper expansions (of which SWG only really had 1) and WoW had 3 (maybe 4 with MoP, dunno).

Yes, I agree Makeb is more an "adventure pack" though. :)

So, will we get Cathar as playable race as part of the expansion or will they charge us extra for that? Also, the pre-order rewards are lackluster! Other MMOs give a lot cooler pre-order rewards like armors and such for their expansions!

They stated Cathar would be purchasable through the Cartel Shop. This "expansion" is not purchasable through the Cartel Shop. Put it together, now. :)

Because theirs were never going to be free for subscibers as they said it was going to be.

It was supposed to be free, they changed their minds and said they were thinking about charging for it, and lo and behold they are charging for it. It is not difficult to comprehend, even though you said before when they were "thinking" about charging for it that they wouldn't end up charging for it.

Once more, you keep saying they would have said that, yet you fail to provide the evidence stating they actually said that. So either provide the link where a BioWare employee explicitely states that Makeb will be free, or drop this bogus, made-up statement.

If they are trying to get a cash grab now only to allow Cashshop purchase later that is even worse (and potentially illegal behaviour in the EU), again most Freemium MMORPGs allow you to buy from day 1 or even pre-order on the Cashshop. :cool:

They're in no way trying to cash grab now, that's merely your interpretation. There is no requirement for you to pre-order this content. You may just as well wait to "Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!", and probably hear about an option to purchase it ingame from the GTN.

Beyond that, nothing illegal about placing it on the cartel market at a later point in time.

Is this Dev statement pre-August 2012? Than it's not worth a damn thing.. Because really, the team changed dramatically afterwards.

The only statement of it probably being for free came with the initial Makeb announcement. Afterwards, multiple announcements were that they were still contemplating it's pricing. Especially repeated multiple times when F2P was announced and later released in different interviews.

But yeah, making different statements later in time where they go back on an earlier statement and say it is not yet sure if they will charge or not is not enough.. apparently.

This really is "Ghostcrawler promised me a pony" level of complaints.

They changed their minds, people don't have to like it though. :)

But what reason do they have for the cash only sale of it? Which again is doubly hitting subscibers.