So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not, Rift had far more, with a smaller player base, budget and dev team.

However the problem really is they said it would be free for subscribers and then changed their minds, they can't expect people just to forget that.

Whilst I would rather all of this content was included within my sub fee, to be fair to BW and in the interest of fact, they DID come out and say we are considering charging for this.

There are so many whine threads on the board today making claims along the lines of "They lied to us" "They promised it would be free".....it's just as much nonsense as the "They promised SGRS" claims....

Whilst BW do make decisions that frustrate me - at least lets represent fact here...they DID inform the community that we might have to pay for this content even if we sub....

The fact that some players chose to ignore that update does NOT mean we have been lied to....just saying :)

Driz

http://www.swtor.com/buy

Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies. Is all we ever hear from you bioware. 5 lvl cap increase and 1 planet is your definition of paid expansion bioware? Really?

I played wow for quite a while..

had to pay for those too and i payed a sub there too. Do i like paying for stuff..no..of course not. Who doesnt like the free stuff.

but facts are facts..servers cost money, bandwidth costs money, creating those expansions takes 100's of thousands of man hours of a large team that all have to get payed every week...and some where along the lines the costs of creating the expansion and hosting it have to be recovered.

+ its really only 10 bucks. I dare think anyone of us has spent more then 10 bucks on some frivolous in the last month. Buying lunch only yesterday at A&W cost me $13 and i chewed through that in about 15 minutes. i get many hours of enjoyment for the 10 bucks bioware is asking for.

I like those people who are so fast to forget dev stated subscribers won't get charged for makeb. But i guess i'm in the minority of people for whom word still means something. Oh well i guess world is heading in direction where what comes out of persons mouth is worth as much as what comes out of their backside and majority people are actually fine with it.....

That is patently false. They clear as day stated that they were not sure if they would charge Subscribers for Makeb. They never said we would not be charged.

We really have to ask what is the difference between an expansion and a content update. Then after we stated what is an expansion we divide it by 4 and if the Hutt Cartel Rise meets those requirements then they were right in charging 10 bucks for it.

So:

1)Level rise is definitely an expansion trademark.

2) Additional content needs to be in there too, and Makeb alone if it has the same dimensions of other planets then it`s not enough of content for an expansion, even 1\4 of it. If makeb is 2 times larger than other planets, or if they expand the game in some other way then i`ll be ok with it.

3) One new mechanic, like a mini game or the mentoring system needs to be in there.

With those 3 requirements fulfilled i`ll keep supporting this game. Actually i`ll be even happyer if they keep the micro expansions system. That other game forces you to purchase 40 bucks of expansions every year to play, with this system you are forced to pay only 10.

Why is it that so many want things for free,

Probably........... and this is just a guess mind you............... because Bioware EA orginally said Makeb would be free for subscribers.

They said about 4 months ago that they were "thinking about charging for it now", and I said then that it was a done deal and it would be charged for, many said "wait and see, they won't charge for it" as many have said so many wrong things about SWTOR now. :(

Probably........... and this is just a guess mind you............... because Bioware EA orginally said Makeb would be free for subscribers.

They said about 4 months ago that they were "thinking about charging for it now", and I said then that it was a done deal and it would be charged for, many said "wait and see, they won't charge for it" as many have said so many wrong things about SWTOR now. :(

They never said it would be free they said it was a possibility (for some reason people do not understand what this word means)

well it is a *expansion* and every other mmo charges for expansion, but the only really disappointing thing though is that it is giving us only 1 planet? should be several being a new expansion and all.

Well, in that case, simply wait 18 - 24 months and purchase the 4 10$ expansions each released by then as a single expansion for 40$ ;). Being a requirement and all for your liking to be an expansion with multiple planets and all for 40$ in one go.

You know we were promised we won't get charged for it.....

It's not about price is about principle, they keep on promising us stuff then keep on backing out, it's infuriating.

If you find a video game infuriating then perhaps you should slowly back away from your keyboard and maybe take a nice walk outside.

It's not about price is about principle, they keep on promising us stuff then keep on backing out, it's infuriating.

And you keep believing them.

When in the history of MMOs have you seen any of them keep all of their promises?

They NEVER promised it wouldnt be. In fact in interviews they said they were still deciding whether or not to charge for it.

That being said, I am disappointed it is being charged for.

Whilst I would rather all of this content was included within my sub fee, to be fair to BW and in the interest of fact, they DID come out and say we are considering charging for this.

There are so many whine threads on the board today making claims along the lines of "They lied to us" "They promised it would be free".....it's just as much nonsense as the "They promised SGRS" claims....

Whilst BW do make decisions that frustrate me - at least lets represent fact here...they DID inform the community that we might have to pay for this content even if we sub....

The fact that some players chose to ignore that update does NOT mean we have been lied to....just saying :)

Driz

and again (as you seem to be ignoreing it)

They SAID MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE PUBLICATIONS that subscribers will NEVER be charged above their monthly subscription rate for content updates

MAKEB (everything we know about it and coming with it) IS A CONTENT UPDATE!

I cant replate a big mac and fries and call it Prime Rib.

It is what it is and nothing more

Legally EA is bound to the public statements that they made first about subscribers NEVER having to pay for content updates (its the whole reason they calling it a Expansion, they exploiting legal double talk)

Maybe you like double talk and all that

me, I prefer honesty and holding companies to their word

Again, im not against paying for a expansion and actually would love to get a Rift like expansion here. And I would gleefully pay for it as I want

-multiple new worlds.

-I want expanded planet sizes on existing planets

- I want Pazzaak

-I want Swoop Racing

-I want 10 new levels (but ill settle for 5 if I have to)

-I want expanded class storylines

-I want multiple new races

-I want new classes

-I want a PVP redo

-I want Space expanded (well not really but I know others that do want it)

-I want updated crafting

-I want more flashpoints and ops (and Id love nightmare flashpoints and hardmode heroics where all heroics get bumped to level 55 with sm/hm/nim settings)

And thats JUST A START FOR A REAL EXPANSION

THAT, I would pay for

EA promised free content updates for subscribers and whats announced so far coming with Makeb is

wait for it

here it comes

you ready?

A HEAVY LOAD CONTENT UPDATE

Dont get why some of you dont seem to grasp this FACT

This i can confirm, they said it and then took the word back. I got really angry back then, this is why i`ll get even more angry if this has only 1 planet and a lvl rise and is not indeed a mini expansion.

I played wow for quite a while..

had to pay for those too and i payed a sub there too. Do i like paying for stuff..no..of course not. Who doesnt like the free stuff.

but facts are facts..servers cost money, bandwidth costs money, creating those expansions takes 100's of thousands of man hours of a large team that all have to get payed every week...and some where along the lines the costs of creating the expansion and hosting it have to be recovered.

+ its really only 10 bucks. I dare think anyone of us has spent more then 10 bucks on some frivolous in the last month. Buying lunch only yesterday at A&W cost me $13 and i chewed through that in about 15 minutes. i get many hours of enjoyment for the 10 bucks bioware is asking for.

Wowowow... Sorry but let's compare Makeb with WoW expansions once it will be out. Personally I don't think it will be comparable in size.

Link to the quotation where they guaranteed it would be free. As all I recall is them saying it's still being looked into.

Well, in that case, simply wait 18 - 24 months and purchase the 4 10$ expansions each released by then as a single expansion for 40$ ;). Being a requirement and all for your liking to be an expansion with multiple planets and all for 40$ in one go.

What a misslead, no 4 content updates you get in other MMOs for free DONT count as an expansion.

You can go to any other MMO, get updates like Makeb for FREE and the pay for REAL expansion on TOP of free updates.

Edited by GrandMike

We really have to ask what is the difference between an expansion and a content update. Then after we stated what is an expansion we divide it by 4 and if the Hutt Cartel Rise meets those requirements then they were right in charging 10 bucks for it.

So:

1)Level rise is definitely an expansion trademark.

2) Additional content needs to be in there too, and Makeb alone if it has the same dimensions of other planets then it`s not enough of content for an expansion, even 1\4 of it. If makeb is 2 times larger than other planets, or if they expand the game in some other way then i`ll be ok with it.

3) One new mechanic, like a mini game or the mentoring system needs to be in there.

With those 3 requirements fulfilled i`ll keep supporting this game. Actually i`ll be even happyer if they keep the micro expansions system. That other game forces you to purchase 40 bucks of expansions every year to play, with this system you are forced to pay only 10.

What about new end-game content, with increased level cap they'll hopefully release at least one new operation so keep "hardcore" gamers something to chew on for a bit.

They never said it would be free they said it was a possibility (for some reason people do not understand what this word means)

No they said it would be free, then they said it was a possiblity subscribers would be charged for it, now they are saying they will be.

It's not surprise, as I said when they first mentioned they "might" charge for it, that it was a done deal and they would, again though so many said they never would and/or to wait till they announced it and THEN complain. :D

But it's always far too late to get companies to change anything AFTER the fact. :(

No they said it would be free, then they said it was a possiblity subscribers would be charged for it, now they are saying they will be.

It's not surprise, as I said when they first mentioned they "might" charge for it, that it was a done deal and they would, again though so many said they never would and/or to wait till they announced it and THEN complain. :D

But it's always far too late to get companies to change anything AFTER the fact. :(

Please link to the original announcement where a BioWare employee stated it would be free. Till provided, it's just make-belief and that entire argument is going nowhere.

Link to the quotation where they guaranteed it would be free. As all I recall is them saying it's still being looked into.

That was when they suddenly came out with that they "might" charge subscribers for it, prior to that it was to be free for subscribers.

I recall you saying that they would not charge subscribers for it, but you like others were wrong again. :(