Immerision enhancer: Toggle saber core

Tim-ONeil

I don't think that's unreasonable. We are their customers. Asking for a choice is fine, defining why I feel it's warranted is fine. If they choose to ignore it... that's fine too. I'm sure that no one there is taking this request nearly as personally as you seem to be however.

As an individual I'm not important but games aren't created in a vacuum. If you make a game that doesn't appeal to a wide audience in the MMO space you'll fail. I understand the need for the dark/color cored sabers to give them something to 'sell' to a more diverse crowd and there are people that love them. I really don't like them at all and I'm not alone. I'm proposing a solution to the issue that also raises revenue and provides both camps something they want. Everyone wins like that.

In business you need to show the cost effectiveness of a project to get it approved, I deal with this on a daily basis in my own work. I also have experience coding and I can tell you the resources to get this completed are minimal.

Still you've made it clear you aren't a supporter of it because of 'artistic' right and I respect that because it's your opinion. But that doesn't invalidate the idea for the toggle in the least.

Being cost effective isn't going to be the deciding factor is a situation like this. You are advocating for a change to be made to the game that allows your client to not only go against EU canon, but allows you to alter how other characters appear to you. No option in the game currently allows this, and allowing ONE would be creating a slippery slope I seriously doubt EA/Bioware is interested in navigating.

Especially since you play on an RP server, why can't you see the validity of this? Why would you want other players to have the ability to see your character appearing as anything other than how you designed that character? It just doesn't make sense to allow something like this that goes against so many fundamental principles.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being cost effective isn't going to be the deciding factor is a situation like this. You are advocating for a change to be made to the game that allows your client to not only go against EU canon, but allows you to alter how other characters appear to you. No option in the game currently allows this, and allowing ONE would be creating a slippery slope I seriously doubt EA/Bioware is interested in navigating.

Especially since you play on an RP server, why can't you see the validity of this? Why would you want other players to have the ability to see your character appearing as anything other than how you designed that character? It just doesn't make sense to allow something like this that goes against so many fundamental principles.

A slippery slope? Queue the overly dramatic music and over the top reactions.

No, I can't see the validity of what you are saying because you are taking it way further than it really is.

I'm taking about the inner core color of a lightsaber. I'm talking about keeping with the tradition of the movies for those interested in that sort of thing. I'm not discussing changing your character appearance or any other items about your character. In fact you'd never know anyway. If that bothers you... I think there might be other issues there.

It would be nice in star wars if lightsabers looked like lightsabers. At least give us a chance to have it reinforced visually when we hear the snap-hiss of a lightsaber that it's star wars, not some random MMO in space with multicolored glow bats.

It would be nice in star wars if lightsabers looked like lightsabers. At least give us a chance to have it reinforced visually when we hear the snap-hiss of a lightsaber that it's star wars, not some random MMO in space with multicolored glow bats.

This. If you want to be a special snowflake I won't infringe on that right, but I don't want your right to infringe on mine. I don't want to have to use black core crystals for PVP.

I support this just so I can banish black-core sabers from my screen. They are disgusting and I seriously hope whoever at Bioware thought they were a good idea is one of the devs that are now gone. :mad:

I really thought it was a glitch the first time I saw one. I couldn't believe anyone would CHOOSE to make something look that bad.

I support this just so I can banish black-core sabers from my screen. They are disgusting and I seriously hope whoever at Bioware thought they were a good idea is one of the devs that are now gone. :mad:

I really thought it was a glitch the first time I saw one. I couldn't believe anyone would CHOOSE to make something look that bad.

Agreed. I mean, you could feasibly find a rare pink force crystal in some cave somewhere; we have pink crystal formations in real life, after all. but a black crystal? A crystal that emits... black... light? Not just ultraviolet light or something else plausible, but OPAQUE light? Then emits colored light around the opaque light? :confused: I thought BioWare was against stupid EU ideas.

-Macheath.

Agreed. I mean, you could feasibly find a rare pink force crystal in some cave somewhere; we have pink crystal formations in real life, after all. but a black crystal? A crystal that emits... black... light? Not just ultraviolet light or something else plausible, but OPAQUE light? Then emits colored light around the opaque light? :confused: I thought BioWare was against stupid EU ideas.

-Macheath.

Psst.... It's a 3 foot long beam of solid light that one can block lasers with.

The color of that magic light is the least of it's silly concerns.

This. If you want to be a special snowflake I won't infringe on that right, but I don't want your right to infringe on mine. I don't want to have to use black core crystals for PVP.

you don't have to. feel free to slot a yellow, blue, green, orange or red crystal. All level 50 crystals have the same stats, so there is no reason to use a black-core crystal. Unless, is someone forcing you somehow?

No, I can't see the validity of what you are saying because you are taking it way further than it really is.

I'm taking about the inner core color of a lightsaber. I'm talking about keeping with the tradition of the movies for those interested in that sort of thing. I'm not discussing changing your character appearance or any other items about your character. In fact you'd never know anyway. If that bothers you... I think there might be other issues there.

What he meant by slippery slope, and which you obviously missed several times as it was said several times in this thread, was that if the devs do listen and insert this toggle, what's to stop someone else wanting to change the way the world looks to them, and having it done. What if they implement your suggestion, and someone says they want a toggle to male all people look like gungans on their side, because they were big fans of the Phantom Menace and liked Jar Jar and that other guy got his idea implemented. Now, that is far, far more ridiculous than this, but you get my point. It opens up the suggestion box so suddenly people get to ask for toggles based on their own idea of star wars, and BW has to grant them (unless they are completely and utterly ridiculous) because they already did it once and it keeps the "original spirit of Star Wars".

Its not a black-orange crystal on the CM, btw. It is a orange-yellow crystal, check for yourself. There are no black-core crystals that BW is making direct revenue off of.

Like it or not, this game is different from the films. Its more based off the EU that is based on the films then it is on the films themselves, and LA has given BW license to create their own part of the EU. i.e. Voss, which I hear was originally just mentioned once, in a comic made a long time ago, and never seen. These black-core crystals are now canon, and BW didn't even invent them. Black-core crystals predate SWTOR, they just weren't seen in any colors until now. The pink-purple and orange-yellow crystals, I agree can go. I never plan to use one, but that's my choice. There are people who like them, and that's their choice.

Since you like saying it so much, you're welcome for the bumps, btw :p

Pink/Purple is not Star Wars.

Actually I think it's cool because one of the comics has a kind of wierd style, but the purple lightsabers DO have pinkish cores (greens have lighter green cores, blues have lighter blue, oranges have yellowish, reds have orange, ect.). So that's kind of cool.

What he meant by slippery slope, and which you obviously missed several times as it was said several times in this thread, was that if the devs do listen and insert this toggle, what's to stop someone else wanting to change the way the world looks to them, and having it done. What if they implement your suggestion, and someone says they want a toggle to male all people look like gungans on their side, because they were big fans of the Phantom Menace and liked Jar Jar and that other guy got his idea implemented. Now, that is far, far more ridiculous than this, but you get my point. It opens up the suggestion box so suddenly people get to ask for toggles based on their own idea of star wars, and BW has to grant them (unless they are completely and utterly ridiculous) because they already did it once and it keeps the "original spirit of Star Wars".

I actually ignored it because that's a kindergarten argument to be honest. We suggest things, Bioware decides if they implement them.

To be honest my post isn't meant for any of you, but to get visibility on something I want. And in that respect every time you argue with it the goal is achieved.

None of us will be making any decisions on this.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

I love how people only see what they want to see, this whole thread was not started to ban/remove dumb looking saber crystals. It's to give other players that dont want the stupidity broadcasted on their screen, in other words give us the ability to remove people's grotesque lightsaber colors from our screens. You all can keep that dumb color, doesn't mean I want to be recieving the color of your saber on my screen.

Lightsabers in the movies do not have white cores. The beam is a solid color all the way through, take a look at the movies once again. All this white core crap is an invention of this game. It's not even meant to be a white core. The thing you're referring to as the white core is the solid, concentrated beam, the corona is meant to represent heat/energy coming off the blade.

But as anyone who knows anything about lightsabers will tell you, they do not exude heat/energy, so there is no corona. Putting your finger a milimeter from the blade wouldn't burn you, it would have to be touching it. Just look at the films.

Edited by TheNevet

I wish they would just remove the stat from the crystal and make make a new modification. Call it beam focus or whatever (seems like that was one from the original KOTOR games) and make it available to artifice, armstech, comms and so forth. That way color crystals would simply be a stylistic choice and not a pragmatic one.

Parcially right, the base would be brighter, but not white.

granted this isnt a real light saber but it still shows the principle.

http://theswca.com/images-produ/mr-vader-prototype2.jpg

As you can see the whole saber is glowing red, the base IS brghter but still IS red.

I'm talking about how real plasma actually generates light (not whatever toy that may be).

Whatever parts are cooler would generate the most light (which is inevitable the edges of plasma), and, of course, "crystals" have nothing to do with plasma colour.

Lightsabers are round, there is no "middle", because only edges can be seen.

When you look at plasma you see more "edge" peripherally than at the core, and therefore more light..... you can't argue with physics. :) (well you can, of course, but you'll be wrong)

So by your definition then only the movies are the correct form. There is a lot of other information taken into consideration in this game and the movies are a minimal reference. There are many times the lightsabers in the movies do not have a white core. You seem to think your preference is what matters and no one else's does. If they allow control of the game on something like this then other people will say the same about other items. You obviously put no thought into what I wrote or else you would see the logic.

I actually ignored it because that's a kindergarten argument to be honest. We suggest things, Bioware decides if they implement them.

To be honest my post isn't meant for any of you, but to get visibility on something I want. And in that respect every time you argue with it the goal is achieved.

None of us will be making any decisions on this.

You ignored it because you can't argue with it. You are right this will get seen more often when people post in it. We may not be able to physically make the decision but we can be heard just like you and just like you being heard can make a difference and counter your argument.

Edited by Scovina

I don't mind the colour so much as I mind the fact that it's so easily obtainable and the best crystal from lvl 10-50. Totally rediculous as the result is that basically 9 out of 10 toon you meet has that colour in his blaster/saber.

Truth.

what's "pretty" and "ugly" are only a matter of personal opinion...

some love it, some hate it... some prefer variety, some prefer the same few choices...

I have the crystal on my female assassin... and I think it's nice... as a Sith Assassin's colours tend to hover around red to purple... so purple-pink is not so bad on her...

and black cores are COOL!

but what's the coolest is obviously the rarest WHITE... that is light in its purest form...

I remember from KOTOR2 you had so many colour choices (and can add even more through mods) and it was quite awesome... (in Force Unleashed as well I think)

the light saber colours were originally only blue, green and red... until Mace Windu showed up with his amazingly manly Purple...

http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0370_bonus.jpg

Edited by SumZed