So the "game box" is free?

Dawginole

I get the F2P and I've gone along with it even though I will continue to subscribe. But based on the latest dev post, there is no more "game box". So new players will not have to buy the game and then get F2P. They just get everything free.

Considering that many of us dropped $150 a year ago on CE and the vast majority have payed $30-$60 for the basic game, it seems like these players are just screwed over having to have bought a game that is now totally free.

Will the bonus cartel coins be the only thing to make up for the upfront investment your current player base shelled out over the last year?

While it would be nice to have more stuff on the CE vendor, you still (presumably) got a lot of play time and enjoyment out of the months between then and now. I would be more mad if I paid 150 bucks a month or 2 ago, but because the boxes have gone down so drastically recently, I don't think most people got majorly screwed. Edited by Stenrik

Also keep in mind that you still have all the unique items to the CE. Everything they advertised is something that you got and still have.

That said, I WOULD be QQing on here if they put all the CE in-game items on the Cartel shop. Because THAT is false advertising. Or if not F.A., at least, very shading/misleading.

I still haven't see the confirmation that the box is free....

But if you want to compare, I can buy 3 WoW boxes for $5 now when I spent 100+ on them at release. No sour grapes about that, it's natural. And typically CE's for games are self contained. The fact that there's even a chance that we'd be able to get any further benefits from purchasing one is new to me.

I bought a new car in '05 for $41,000. I put 50,000 miles on it. My friend just bought the same make / model / year for $15,000 with 50,000 miles on it. I got ripped off. Compensate me.

This is how you sound.

Edited by SDTAXantos

I bought a new car in '05 for $41,000. I put 50,000 miles on it. My friend just bought the same make / model / year for $15,000 with 50,000 miles on it. I got ripped off. Compensate me.

This is how you sound.

Yeah thats exactly what the OP sounds like.

My god, people still bang on about spending money on the CE....

Look, the CE lost it's value. Even if the game wasn't going F2P shortly some shops are selling the CE for £9.99.

As far as the "game box" goes, the vast majority of F2P games do not charge for the game. It defeats the whole object of F2P which is to bring players in that don't want to buy the game.

Think about it and apply logic. If people haven't paid for the game by now then they aren't going to. The only way to bring them in is to offer it for free.

I will stake my left kidney and a tin of mushy peas that the game will be free to download from SW:TOR website.

Dear OP, I woke up ill today. Because of this, is it not only logical I sincerely hope you are having a miserable day.. because I'm ill.

Kudos on "I paid 150 bucks on CE so all must suffer!!:(" sidenote though:) I bet you were flaunting some PROUD OWNER OF CE sticker in your sig a year back:D

I'm so tired of the CE gimme gimme gimme mentality. "We payed $150 so we deserve more stuff in the CE vendor, screw new content for everyone else!" I mean seriously didn't you guys get:

In game:

Flare gun

Training Droid

Holocam

STAP

Mouse Droid

In Game Vendor

Phyisical:

Journal of Master Gnost-Dural

Galaxy Map

Authentication Key

SWTOR Soundtrack CD

Darth Malgus Statue

CE CD Case

The entitlement of some people just astound me.

The Collectors Edition was pricey to start with but in my view there was a lot of nice exclusive stuff in it and now you get a heap of extra cartel coins too...I kinda wished I had bought it for the CD and the Figure alone but didn't want to spend that sort of money and maybe end up hating the game - this is my first MMO.

You can download WOW free too.

I am happy to see people access the game free if they enhance my enjoyment of it as a subscriber and maybe it will draw people in that can afford to subscribe but are nervous of forking out for a game they have not played with the prospect that it shuts them out after their month of free subscibed play is up.

Ask yourself this question, If a year ago Bio / EA/ whoever had said that in november 2012 the game will go F2P, would you stil have purchased the game when ever you did ? If the answer is yes, well then there ya go, if no, well then you got beat out of your money. I would have pre-ordered the game and their future plans would have not changed anything i chose to do over the past 10+ months. I'm sure their are some here who would have waited for F2P, i'm just not one of them.

What Bio / EA/ whoever has chosen to due in regards to F2P is their decision. I have the choice to either accept it or not. I'm staying out of curiosity. I'm sure there are some here you can turn their heads and not stare at a car wreck, I'm just not one of them.

Will the bonus cartel coins be the only thing to make up for the upfront investment your current player base shelled out over the last year?

No. What will 'make up' for the upfront investment is that you GOT TO PLAY THE DARN GAME THIS LAST YEAR. Other folks have not. Things get cheaper over time. This is a fact. If you dropped $150 for the CE, well that was a choice. I always get the standard edition. I managed to snag the Deluxe upgrade when it was $5 and suggest everyone who doesn't have it to do so.

You got what you paid for.

In a few hundred years, when aliens excavate the remains of humankind on earth, your CE Darth Malgus statue will be worth MILLIONS of galactic currency!

They will think this was some ancient god we all worshipped.

ROFLMAO!!! What's really funny is that this could actually happen! :D

I get the F2P and I've gone along with it even though I will continue to subscribe. But based on the latest dev post, there is no more "game box". So new players will not have to buy the game and then get F2P. They just get everything free.

Considering that many of us dropped $150 a year ago on CE and the vast majority have payed $30-$60 for the basic game, it seems like these players are just screwed over having to have bought a game that is now totally free.

Do you get mad when someone buys the same TV you did, a year later, at a price much lower than you did? Do you go forum posting when you see your cable company running a deal to attract new customers and gives them a better deal then you currently do?

So, I live in denmark and a pizza here used to cost 50 crowns, but they have been increased to 53 crowns, so I should expect the pizza place to call me and tell me to pay them money for the pizzas I only payed 50 crowns for, because the prices are now 53?

Because that is basicly what you are saying.

I'm so tired of the CE gimme gimme gimme mentality. "We payed $150 so we deserve more stuff in the CE vendor, screw new content for everyone else!" I mean seriously didn't you guys get:

In game:

Flare gun

Training Droid

Holocam

STAP

Mouse Droid

In Game Vendor

Phyisical:

Journal of Master Gnost-Dural

Galaxy Map

Authentication Key

SWTOR Soundtrack CD

Darth Malgus Statue

CE CD Case

The entitlement of some people just astound me.

I got the CE for 20 dollars. I want more. I want them to give me a puppy and rainbows. And lunch. And movies. And cookies. Oh and they should also feed me more bacon.

Seriously, I got value. 30 days game time plus the 5 dollar security key hardware version (I had the android app before). I haven't even opened that statue yet (blah). Nothing says nerd like having a Star Wars statue on your desk. Especially one of a character not in the movies. The journal actually surprised me with how nice a read it was. So that put it over the top. The ingame stuff I already had the DDE so only gained the vendor and the mouse pet.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo