Romance Double-Standard

redhuntinghat

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consulars kinda of have two but you can only initially flirt with Tharan.

It really doesn't surprise me though :rolleyes:

The story suggests

that they went beyond a flirt and had intercourse. When Tharan breaks up with you, it appears to have gone much farther with Holiday putting her foot down.

Yeah, the romance situation concerning male vs. female content is so ridiculously skewed in one favor it's out-right comical.

I tell you, the amount of my characters who have gone celibate through having no interesting romantic partners at all, is in the 100% range and I refuse outright to play a male character just because.

Same with me (as far as what's seen in game).

But...

Frankly, I have it in my head that my consular did the deed with Zenith. I mean, who doesn't like a bad boy?

Head-canon to the rescue!

*well, not with Zenith for me, but I do rely on the ol' head-canon with others*

Edited by stuffystuffs

To be fair, Doc is one of the better romances. JK's got it really good on both sides whereas most classes have it really bad on one side. Hell Consulars and Agents get shafted hard on both sides, which is especially bad because female Consulars and Male Agents both have two options and they all suck.

I actually liked Kaliyo's romance.

With the other issues SWTOR has, I also feel this way. In a perfect game, I'd agree with the OP...but not for this game...not now.

A very good point, which is why I tried to make the tone of this more "hey this is kind of annoying, did anyone else notice this?" rather than "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE DROP EVERYTHING AND FIX THIS NOW!". Yeah, it is annoying, but considering other more important issues, I will live.

*GASP you mean a company that wants to earn money is catering to a larger group?! HOW SEXIST!

Seriously...

I'm not completely naive, as a gamer I'm used to the white teenage heterosexual male demographic getting top priority. Its just seeing a game that is SO CLOSE to catering to minority fans without compromising the experience of the main demographic is a tad tantalizing (and not exactly the best business move either).

"I can't figure out why some of you people are so obsesed with fake pixel [insert your favorite part of SWTOR here] or lack thereof."

There, I fixed it for you. Because whatever your favorite part of the game is, there's pretty much guaranteed to be someone out there who doesn't care about it as much as you don't care about this thread.

If you don't care about it...don't participate in the discussion, and leave it to those who do.

Exactly! It's a bit cavalier to assume that if you don't care about a certain aspect of gameplay, then it is automatically stupid.

Your fake pixel computerized girlfriend/boyfriend relationship online (which consists of a few fade to black kisses and nothing much else) is the most important part of the story for you? Wow...Im sorry.

Way to be one dimensional in your thinking.... I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the romance of the story and not pixelated sex scenes...

Personally the romance side of the story doesn't really interest me but I'm not going to say it shouldn't be available to players who enjoy a bit of romance in their story... no different then romance novels some people read....

Edited by Monoth

Well, different people like different things. Some people likes the challenge of going up against a great pixel foe with a group of their friends. Other people prefer to beat the crap out of pixels that are operated by another gamer out there. Some like to lose themselves in the story, roleplay with their pixels. Do what makes you happy. I am far more understanding of people who enjoy other things than me, than by you who by some strange notion look down on people who prefer another aspect of the game.

For me the companions and the romances are what makes this game stand out, it is what makes me spend time playing SWTOR and not a single player game instead. That I have found a great guild, can play SWTOR with my husband, that we enjoy Ops together, that is just a really great bonus. I chat in general, help people out when they need help. Play in Ops, arrange social activities for my guild. But, if it wasn't for the story-aspect, companions and romances, I would not be here. Different people like different things.

And yes, I would be really happy if there was a little bit more even with the flirts and ftb in the game. Let's hope for Chapter 4.

I agree 100% with your post, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

If someone thinks that the companion romances are the most important and attractive aspect of the game, then so be it. No one has the right to go telling people around "BUT COMPANION ROMANCES ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT" because clearly to some people they are, including myself. They are not the most important aspect of the game IMHO but it is enjoyable to have them nonetheless. And I do agree that it is one of the things that makes the game stand out.

Edited by Eightus

See my above post. I cant figure out why some of you people are so obsessed with your fake pixel relationship with a non existent character or lack there of.

Everything in computer games is just pixels representing lines of code. Romances are no different a part of the experience than shooting aliens with plasma cannons - it's all fake. Does this illegitimize all complaints that can be made about such games?

As a female player I noticed too the double standard very quickly. Whether you like romances or not, the straight male gamer have way more content catered to him that it feels unfair , as if they realized after a while: "oh wait, there might be female who'll play the game. I know, let's throw them some bones". But then, saying it probably won't change things. I guess we are used to be after-thoughts in games anyway. Edited by lanawinst

Well I mean it limits your gameplay possibilities. On my female Jedi Knight instead of getting 3 romanceable companions I only get one, which isn't the WORST thing considering that many classes don't have more than one option, but it still feels like a double standard.

Eh, it doesn't limit character's specs, doesn't reduce their stats or access to gear. It's not "gameplay". It's frill.

For the record, there are very few truly likeable romance options for male characters. Psychotic murderous schuttas (DS Jaesa, Kalyo, don't come near me - I have restraining order), spoilt, bratty little girls (dear, Vette, Ashara and Kira, go screw yourselves), she-males (hello, Akavi, no I won't call you back), etc, etc.

Guys in ToR seem to be much nicer overall. The only romancable guy that I dislike is Doc. Looks like a comic relief\parody character with the depth of a puddle. Vector is an interesting character, but his romance-specific storyline is kind of cringe-inducing.

Edited by Helig

As a female player I noticed too the double standard very quickly. Whether you like romances or not, the straight male gamer have way more content catered to him that it feels unfair , as if they realized after a while: "oh wait, there might be female who'll play the game. I know, let's throw them some bones". But then, saying it probably won't change things. I guess we are used to be after-thoughts in games anyway.

I'm not sure this is true at least as far as companion romances are concerned.

Tricky these things, it comes down to what one likes personally.

Much prefer Doc to Kira, and Corso to Risha. Also prefer Aric to Elara. Suppose I should be happy that I only play female characters. Now if I could romance Vette with my Sith Warrior then things would be really interesting. Most likely there would be a second Sith Warrior for Vette.

Edited by SilentKitty

Your fake pixel computerized girlfriend/boyfriend relationship online (which consists of a few fade to black kisses and nothing much else) is the most important part of the story for you? Wow...Im sorry.

And the fake pixelated representation of imaginary items, like laser sabers, are important for you ? wow... I'm sorry

I do. As a female player who has played all the classes, both male and female toons to 50, I've seen the double standards. Female toons, just don't get the same oppourtunities as the males do. For example, the male agent gets 9 opportunities for ftb across the galaxy, besides the 2 romance choices he gets. Females only get one romance option and only 4 ftb ops, one of which, well, I wish I could 'unsee' it. There are countless other examples, like for instance Male Trooper gets the story with Jaxo and his romanceable companion, as well as countless other flirtations. I'm disgusted by the fact that female trooper only gets the stupid cat (in fact I opted out of that romance.)

It's pretty obvious the game designers cater to male players, they don't seem to realize there are alot of women playing too, and we'd like a fair bit of action and story in the game too, in terms of romances.

My mistake, apparently male and female both only have 1 option.

Edited by seekerofpower
Incorrect Info

I'm not sure this is true at least as far as companion romances are concerned.

That's why I didn't meant that the romance was better for male. I think either male or female options are both varied enough to make everyone happy with at least one if not more and really unhappy with others. What I meant was the amount of content, choices and opportunities, like some people said before and better than me in other posts. Male get more content, more flirting options, etc... and that, unfortunately, is a fact, not a preference.

Edited by lanawinst

To all of the people who responded "Who cares". This is the Story and Lore forum. Romance options are part of the story and are therefor a suitable topic of discussion in this forum. If it's not a facet of the story that interests you, ignore it and focus your attention on the ls/ds discussions or the minutia of lore or what ever aspect of the story that does float your boat.

If you don't care about the story or the lore, then why are you reading and posting in this forum?