Sound effect changes since 1.4. Please give us your reason, Devs.

Aerilas

I never relied on any sounds for riposte because its animation is already unique enough (it's a forward horizontal stab instead of any of the other slashing animations). Also the only sound I ever noticed was one associated for when you parry and it becomes available (the LS tip shimmers like after you've committed skill points), in the files the effect is tied to riposte_passive. I haven't gotten around playing any sith warriors though. The abilities don't increase armor penetration anyway, so I'm not sure why there would have been a sound associated with that in the first place.

Because it bypasses armor. I think you are looking in to this a little too hard though.

I have FRAPS sound bites from the before and after...so no matter what, I have proof that I speak truth.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone - thanks for posting your concerns. We're looking into this right now. As we investigate, please post in this thread if you've noticed any sound effects that have been replaced with new sound effects or any that are missing. Thank you!

space ship blaster sounds -

Add space ship blaster sounds to the list... when the power is increased on ship blasters the sound is nerfed.

used to have a nice heavy hitting sound compared to the non-buffed blaster, now some weird mild build-up then the sound reverts to the non-buffed blaster sound.

also, sound cuts out during space missions, never happened before 1.4 and nothing has changed on my end.

On October 1, the Devs posted in this thread saying they were "looking into this right now" (http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5230555&postcount=34). We haven't heard a word since. I checked the DevTracker in case this got posted in another thread, or in another subforum. Again, nothing.

Sound problems that I am having.

• Overload Shot: Used to have a loud handgun noise. Now is identical to the Flurry of Bolts sound effect for whatever gun is equipped.
  • Charged Burst: Used to have a buildup charging noise followed by a rapid "thump thump thump" discharge sound. Now is identical to the Flurry of Bolts sound effect.

The loss of the giggle Upper Hand proc is also annoying, but at least that was posted in the patch notes. These other sound effects are just gone.

This is particularly problematic for Overload Shot, because it now sounds identical (and even looks identical) to the Flurry of Bolts autoattack. This makes it extremely difficult to differentiate the two in battles.

So I'm not going mad, sound effect issues have been recognised.

Someone said it was just me and had to reinstall, something I was contemplating during patch day on Tuesday. But sitll, seeing as BW have acknowledged it, fingers crossed something may be done?

Crossing all fingers, toes, everything. Charged burst and Tracer Missile just suck now.

So I'm not going mad, sound effect issues have been recognised.

Someone said it was just me and had to reinstall, something I was contemplating during patch day on Tuesday. But sitll, seeing as BW have acknowledged it, fingers crossed something may be done?

Crossing all fingers, toes, everything. Charged burst and Tracer Missile just suck now.

That isn't what I said at all. You complained CB and QS had no sound effect at all (your words: "sound effects removed from quick shot and charged burst") and I confirmed that they do indeed have a sound effect and among several suggestions I included a possibility that you had a corrupted sound file that might be corrected by a fresh install. I did not say you had to reinstall.

Please don't misstate what I wrote, especially when I was trying to help you.

EDIT: Added your complaint in brackets, which as you can see is a bit different to the complaints in this thread which is about sound effect changes, not the total absence of sound effects from some skills, which was how you put your issue across.

Edited by KariTalRathe

Ok my bad, sound effect changes.

Guy above me, not trying to get on your ****, thanks for your advice and all too. Guess I thought some had been removed as if some are reporting them very quiet and muffled, I just mistook that for them being absent.

Ok my bad, sound effect changes.

Guy above me, not trying to get on your ****, thanks for your advice and all too. Guess I thought some had been removed as if some are reporting them very quiet and muffled, I just mistook that for them being absent.

Well I am glad you got to the root of your problem without a needless reinstall, even if your issue isn't resoved.

Was hoping a reinstall would fix it, you gave me a glimmer of hope :)

Just really into my aesthetics, only got to level 20 or so on my GS before 1.4 hit and from sounding brilliant and awesome, just sounds weak and pathetic. And my BH just got Tracer, and I had a feeling it was b0rked too as I'm sure it should have a bigger edge to it than just a little metal firing mechanism sounds sans booming or whooshing.

Ah well, just got to suck it up and hope something is in the works.

+1 to this.

My main's a gunslinger and I am bummed about the sound changes.

Notice how it's only ONE class in here talking about sound changes? (nobody cares about mercs anyway)

Let's find out what got broken and fix it please. The slinger sounds were strong and awesome, the sawbones were as well...

Got to be other classes affected too? Noticed on my sentinel the lightsabre swings seem to be disproportionally loud to the other combat sound effects, but I hadn't had this class until recently and has always been like that, wonder if it sounded a bit more muted pre 1.4.

I also notice the voiceovers in warzones sometimes dont play out as they should, but that's usually after the client being running for a few hours and a restart fixes that. Could be me, could be the client, but at least I know it isn't just my GS :o

• 4 weeks later...
Still none of this is fixed, it is quite sad because these are just the sounds that we notice have problems. What if 1.4 caused the music or ambient sounds to be lost from an already quiet game? I love TOR but this seriously needs to be fixed in the next patch!

Hi everyone - thanks for posting your concerns. We're looking into this right now. As we investigate, please post in this thread if you've noticed any sound effects that have been replaced with new sound effects or any that are missing. Thank you!

Orbital Strike still sounds really weak.